Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Everyone north of hadrians wall.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• megastar 17 Dec 2012 12:13:57 17,132 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I bet Murrays ejaculating face looks miserable too! He really is about as lovable as a pair of underpants fashioned out of sandpaper!

The right person won but it was drawn out far too much. Then at the end he said (to paraphrase) "and thers a fuckin' massive party in a minute paid for by the BBC". Which is nice isn't it?
  • DaM 17 Dec 2012 13:14:10 12,897 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Everyone north of hadrians wall.
    We think he's a miserable bastard too.
  • BlackJedi 17 Dec 2012 14:28:36 387 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Spunkweazle wrote:
    I think the overseas award should have gone to Alex Zanardi, a true sportsman and a gent.
    Instead they gave it to someone who does a bit of running, just because he does a funny shape afterwards
    I wouldn't necessarily characterise Bolt's claim as "a bit of running" and "a funny shape", but, yes, I absolutely agree that Zanardi should have won. His achievements this year have been the culmination of a story that has been constantly amazing me for years and years.

I was on holiday, sitting on the pier in St. Ives (the land Vodafone forgot) trying to get a signal to check his result. When I finally saw that he'd won the gold medal, I'm not ashamed to say that I shed a tear. The man is my hero.
  • kalel 17 Dec 2012 14:31:38 86,329 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    Did anyone seriously think Murray was going to win?
    Tennis fans and Scottish people. Nobody else.
  • Vortex808 17 Dec 2012 14:37:58 6,941 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    thelzdking wrote:
    Tennis fans. Nobody else.
    FTFY.
  • thelzdking 17 Dec 2012 15:02:39 4,312 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    thelzdking wrote:
    Tennis fans and Scottish people. Nobody else.
    The posh and the drunk.
  • thelzdking 17 Dec 2012 15:12:29 4,312 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Apologies to the Scottish for the generalisation.
  • DaM 17 Dec 2012 15:25:58 12,897 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    Apologies to the Scottish for the generalisation.
    /smashes bottle and chibs thelzdking

Brad all the way for me - I don't think Murray's particularly popular north of the border just because he's from here. Maybe a bit more, but not much :)
  • Vortex808 17 Dec 2012 15:37:36 6,941 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DaM wrote:

I don't think Murray's particularly popular north of the border just because he's from here. Maybe a bit more, but not much :)
    Indeed. I think Chris Hoy would have got far more of any potential 'They're scottish so I'm voting for them' votes than Murray.

I don't think Murray and Lennox Lewis' bizarre trophy exchange last night will have helped his rep any either! ;-)

Edited by Vortex808 at 15:37:57 17-12-2012
  • pistol 17 Dec 2012 15:43:37 13,019 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    dufftownallan wrote:
    TheSaint wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Murray has done stuff that hasn't been achieved in a long time. But he's still an uninspiring figure and there are far more worthy contenders for the prize.

Wiggins for one. Worth noting he's done stuff that hasn't been achieved in a long time too.
    Also worth noting that the Tour only takes place once a year while Murray has four chances every year to win a major.
    there's more than one major annual cycle race, I have very little interest in the sport and even I know there's the giro d'italia. i'll stick my neck out and guess there might be some more...?
    There are 3 Grand Tours and many other big races in between.

Paris Nice for example, which is another one Wiggo won that had never previously been won by a Brit. It's just that outside of the TDF cycling is still a fairly niche and mis-understood sport outside of cycling fans.
  • pistol 17 Dec 2012 15:46:22 13,019 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ltbobby wrote:
    Andy Murray should win but he wont coz hes not there, hes in Miami! Sick of all the Wiggins "im so down to earth" shit. Even the voice over on his clip had a cockney accent to prove hes "one of us"
    I'm not suprised Murray didn't win. He's won 1 Slam and not even Wimbledon and a gold medal. Wiggo has won the tour, Olympic Road race and also more overall medals than any other athlete. No comparison, and I'm a huge tennis fan.
  • nickthegun 17 Dec 2012 15:49:20 58,782 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just to go back to what i was saying, wiggins won, got up on stage looking dapper, had a laugh and a joke and generally was very good value.

If murray had won, he would have got onto the stage, said 'thanks' and sat back down again.

A personality won and another came second.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• elstoof 17 Dec 2012 15:52:15 6,604 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    3rd in the volto algarve, GC and points winner of Paris nice, winner of the Dauphine, TdF GC, Olympic TT gold.... It's been a big year.
  • pistol 17 Dec 2012 15:53:48 13,019 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ltbobby wrote:
    Ok have you heard of Petra Kvitova? Or Dinara Safina? Or francesca Schiavone? No? Well they are all grand slam trnnis champions but not very pretty. Yes Sharapova has won slams and is pretty but in womens sport there is a direct relationship between fame and looks that there simply isnt in mens sport... Only massive superstars like Graf , Navratliova , Seles etc become famous because they are SO successful.
    Agreed..
  • pistol 17 Dec 2012 15:58:54 13,019 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    Quite shocked really that Andy Murray didn't win this by an absolute landslide.

Not quite sure what he could have done more to be deserving against the two other main contenders.

Athleticism(fitness) and technique are one aspect of cycling and athletics, but to need all that, and need to work strategy in real-time with it, in a game of irresistible force meets immovable object in tennis is something much harder.

I've watched the tour and olympics/athletics on and off for decades, and even taking the individual people out of the equation, sports like tennis, football, rugby, boxing and any sport that requires continuous skill, strategy and athleticism all at once 9with stamina) rate far higher than sports that are 90% putting one foot in front of the other with whatever nature gave you (imho).
    Sorry but that's absolute tosh. I've played country level tennis for years before transferred to endurance cycling, and whilst not at pro level, I would put pro cycling miles ahead of tennis in terms of difficulty. Even some pro's don't get picked for the Tour as it's the hardest event they can do. Some riders don't even complete it, never mind coming in the top 10 or even winning it. Why do you think pro cycling has been so rife with drugs for the last 100 years??

Wiggo's achievements blow Murray's away....
  • kalel 17 Dec 2012 16:01:01 86,329 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Where's the "irresistible force meets immovable object in tennis"?
  • elstoof 17 Dec 2012 16:17:35 6,604 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tennis+player+hits+judge&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari
  • thelzdking 17 Dec 2012 16:43:21 4,312 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Where's the "irresistible force meets immovable object in tennis"?
    Crowds of posh people and the strawberries and cream stand.
  • alexc7496 17 Dec 2012 16:49:13 1,777 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    megastar wrote:
    I bet Murrays ejaculating face looks miserable too! He really is about as lovable as a pair of underpants fashioned out of sandpaper!

The right person won but it was drawn out far too much. Then at the end he said (to paraphrase) "and thers a fuckin' massive party in a minute paid for by the BBC". Which is nice isn't it?
    I guess you haven't seen some of Brads previous interviews then. By those standards that is quite tame.
  • localnotail 17 Dec 2012 22:06:50 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Personality: he haz it.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Page

of 18 First / Last

Next