BBC Sports Personality of the year 2012 Page 16

  • Page

    of 18 First / Last

  • Trane 16 Dec 2012 23:13:24 4,049 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The right person won, I'm glad. Facebook seems to be full of fat middle aged women who seem to think Jess should have won.

    I'd bet my last pound they don't even know what the Tour De France is.
  • Trowel 16 Dec 2012 23:17:09 16,860 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The whole point of SPOTY is relative performance. No way anyone deserved it more than Wiggins.
  • ltbobby 16 Dec 2012 23:20:41 300 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think that actually Ennis's success here puts womens equality in sport even further back. She is a great athlete yeah but is only 2nd because of the way she looks not because of just a sporting achievement. She became mega famous even before her event, and this fame was the result of her being pretty. Yes she was amazing at the Olympics but do were so many other athletes.
  • Trane 16 Dec 2012 23:21:24 4,049 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Please let's not go there......
  • elstoof 16 Dec 2012 23:23:09 6,141 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tell us what it would be like again if she looked like Clare Balding bobby.
  • IMO 16 Dec 2012 23:25:17 5,217 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And if Mo had won, it would have been because he was a refugee, obviously.
  • Bremenacht 16 Dec 2012 23:27:05 15,767 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If she looked like Clare Balding, she wouldn't have been under so much pressure to succeed. So much newsmedia was focussed on her before the event, when it was far from likely she would have won. That she handled the pressure and won was pretty impressive.

    I'd have put Andy Murray ahead of her and both ahead of Mo, but there you go.

    Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

  • localnotail 16 Dec 2012 23:31:48 23,093 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    localnotail wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    localnotail wrote:
    Wow, I know I've been admiring her arse all evening but are some of you actually seriously saying that Ennis doesn't deserve recognition for destroying her opposition, putting in a performance that places her 5th in the historic rankings for Olympic Heptathlon? While simultaneously bearing the huge weight of expectation as poster girl for the whole thing.

    That says a whole lot about your attitude towards women, dickheads.
    You just had to fuck up a fair point with the sexism bollocks again.
    Oh I'm sorry - what would your explanation be for the "fair point" then?
    well I would start by thinking it was just another example of certain people devaluing certain events. See everyone in the bloody thread picking their winner and arguing that so and so don't deserve it because of whatever. It's been happening in this thread with every contestant from the beginning. But finally a woman gets it and you jump on the only explanation you know.
    Your argument might have had merit if those (admittedly few) people* saying she didn't deserve recognition were mentioning that they think the Heptathlon isn't actually hard at all. But they weren't, they were saying she's only got on that stage because of her looks. Which is sexist.

    edit: on that page, that I was obviously responding to.

    Edited by localnotail at 03:55:17 17-12-2012

    A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

  • Fozzie_bear 16 Dec 2012 23:34:02 15,315 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Jessica ennis' buttocks should have won.

    Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

  • malloc 16 Dec 2012 23:34:32 2,137 posts
    Seen 27 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ben Ainsley, no?
  • SuperCoolEskimo 16 Dec 2012 23:36:29 9,535 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    To be clear, I don't understand the hype simply because IMO it's easier to win a heptathlon than to win 5k and 10k, a whole tennis tournament, the TdF and whatever number of races and golds Weir won.

    Gender has nothing to do with it.

    Edited by SuperCoolEskimo at 23:37:04 16-12-2012
  • Trowel 16 Dec 2012 23:41:12 16,860 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Enough of these sexism arguments, how about the split in Kate's dress?
  • RobTheBuilder 16 Dec 2012 23:41:28 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Don't lower this to looks please!
    There were plenty of very hot women who weren't nominated so not even worth making that an excuse.

    All deserving winners.
  • ltbobby 16 Dec 2012 23:44:36 300 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah exactly. Look Ennis is a great person a fantastic athlete but the hype surrounding her was disproportionate to what she achieved. Im attributing this to the fact that she looks good.... Im not trying to be sexist at all. In fact its the opposite. Its a shame that womens sport isnt seen on the same level as mens . Just look at tennis as an example. The most famous female tennis players ( the ones most people have heard of are the fit ones! Sharapova/ Kournikova/ ivanovic. You have to be a legend at the game like Steffi Graf or Serena to get noticed other than for looks! Its a shame really and tennis is really the top womens representation in sport!
  • localnotail 16 Dec 2012 23:44:41 23,093 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ah, but Weir was sitting down all the time ;)

    To be fair, Wiggins probably has the most interesting personality. I just really wanted Ennis to win because I'm foolishly re-imagining the award to be about sporting achievement, and I thought she did really bloody well.

    2012 was an amazing year for sporting achievement though, very difficult to decide who was best. But then I guess that's sport for you, someone has to win.

    Edited by localnotail at 23:47:14 16-12-2012

    A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

  • sport 16 Dec 2012 23:51:19 12,046 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Everyone's a winner in sport's eyes!
  • danathjo 16 Dec 2012 23:58:27 6,915 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    oh you
  • IMO 17 Dec 2012 00:04:28 5,217 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ltbobby wrote:
    Yeah exactly. Look Ennis is a great person a fantastic athlete but the hype surrounding her was disproportionate to what she achieved. Im attributing this to the fact that she looks good.... Im not trying to be sexist at all. In fact its the opposite. Its a shame that womens sport isnt seen on the same level as mens . Just look at tennis as an example. The most famous female tennis players ( the ones most people have heard of are the fit ones! Sharapova/ Kournikova/ ivanovic. You have to be a legend at the game like Steffi Graf or Serena to get noticed other than for looks! Its a shame really and tennis is really the top womens representation in sport!
    Yeah, I mean, it's not like Sharapova has won Wimbledon or anything?!...
  • localnotail 17 Dec 2012 00:18:27 23,093 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @SuperCoolEskimo I didn't see your post about hype before, just the ones about her looks - but really, you think it's easy to win at Heptathlon? 7 sporting disciplines (not 2), examined over two days - with far less technical and financial support behind it than tennis or cycling? I disagree.

    A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

  • ltbobby 17 Dec 2012 00:43:47 300 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ok have you heard of Petra Kvitova? Or Dinara Safina? Or francesca Schiavone? No? Well they are all grand slam trnnis champions but not very pretty. Yes Sharapova has won slams and is pretty but in womens sport there is a direct relationship between fame and looks that there simply isnt in mens sport... Only massive superstars like Graf , Navratliova , Seles etc become famous because they are SO successful.
  • Psychotext 17 Dec 2012 00:56:07 52,802 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I find myself sort of agreeing with bobby on the tennis point...

    I feel a bit dirty now. I may have to go and bleach myself or something.
  • ltbobby 17 Dec 2012 01:06:56 300 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I mean i guess its a similar story in some ways with the men . I mean Beckham is good looking and definately his fame is increased because of this...and the same with Tom Daley. But ugly blokes can still win and get the acolade..... look at Rooney, Wiggins etc Because mens sport is firstly about skill or endurance. Womens sport is unfortunately overshadowed by their looks. Ugly women can still win but dont get as much recognition!
  • Trane 17 Dec 2012 01:13:09 4,049 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    @SuperCoolEskimo I didn't see your post about hype before, just the ones about her looks - but really, you think it's easy to win at Heptathlon? 7 sporting disciplines (not 2), examined over two days - with far less technical and financial support behind it than tennis or cycling? I disagree.
    2 days? Wow, yeah that's harder than the Tour De France then. Also I don't know why money comes into it, money in sport is all down to supply and demand (except in the case of womens tennis).
  • Syrette 17 Dec 2012 01:15:20 41,889 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Are you lot criticising Ennis athletes yourselves?

  • Syrette 17 Dec 2012 01:17:18 41,889 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think she is perfectly fine myself but Rebecca Adlington for example has had a few nasty comments aimed her way over her looks and still received plenty of plaudits.

  • Syrette 17 Dec 2012 01:19:21 41,889 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Trane wrote:
    localnotail wrote:
    @SuperCoolEskimo I didn't see your post about hype before, just the ones about her looks - but really, you think it's easy to win at Heptathlon? 7 sporting disciplines (not 2), examined over two days - with far less technical and financial support behind it than tennis or cycling? I disagree.
    2 days? Wow, yeah that's harder than the Tour De France then. Also I don't know why money comes into it, money in sport is all down to supply and demand (except in the case of womens tennis).
    Er, hold on, at what point did local compare the heptathlon to cycling in terms of difficulty?

    She merely said it's not easy to win at it, which I imagine is spot on.

  • Trane 17 Dec 2012 01:20:18 4,049 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Trane 17 Dec 2012 01:21:18 4,049 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    Ah, but Weir was sitting down all the time ;)

    To be fair, Wiggins probably has the most interesting personality. I just really wanted Ennis to win because I'm foolishly re-imagining the award to be about sporting achievement, and I thought she did really bloody well.
    @syrette - That bit
  • Syrette 17 Dec 2012 01:21:49 41,889 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ltbobby wrote:
    She is a great athlete yeah but is only 2nd because of the way she looks not because of just a sporting achievement.
    Got any objective proof of this?

  • Deleted user 17 December 2012 01:26:50
    Quite shocked really that Andy Murray didn't win this by an absolute landslide.

    Not quite sure what he could have done more to be deserving against the two other main contenders.

    Athleticism(fitness) and technique are one aspect of cycling and athletics, but to need all that, and need to work strategy in real-time with it, in a game of irresistible force meets immovable object in tennis is something much harder.

    I've watched the tour and olympics/athletics on and off for decades, and even taking the individual people out of the equation, sports like tennis, football, rugby, boxing and any sport that requires continuous skill, strategy and athleticism all at once 9with stamina) rate far higher than sports that are 90% putting one foot in front of the other with whatever nature gave you (imho).
  • Page

    of 18 First / Last

Log in or register to reply