BBC Sports Personality of the year 2012 Page 9

• Page

of 18 First / Last

• nickthegun 27 Nov 2012 15:03:41 59,365 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Trane wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    And the zealous defence of him points to lazy nationalism and a lack of objectivity.
    Or maybe some of us judge sportsmen on actual sporting ability, passion, and success. Not on whether they shone on the latest episode of celebrity juice.
    I know you probably fist pumped as you typed that, but I have specifically said several times that I dont expect that of him, simply that he is a boring bastard who doesnt deserve any award that has the term 'personality' associated with it.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• dufftownallan 27 Nov 2012 15:05:00 4,724 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    And the zealous defence of him points to lazy nationalism and a lack of objectivity.
    I haven't defended him, i've pointed out that he has a personality, I (and others) have provided examples and reasons why we think he has a personality, you've provided nothing but your own blinkered opinion.
  • pistol 27 Nov 2012 15:05:06 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Trane wrote:
    You should just give up dufftown, unfortunately people's perceptions of Andy Murray border on ignorance. A lot of it stems from the shoddy journalism surrounding him being accused of 'anti-English' sentiment during the time of a major football tournament (which was later proved to be complete bollocks anyway).

He's basically just a passionate and hard-working (and successful) sportsman, who hates to lose and doesn't hide his negative emotion as well as others, tennis is a pretty lonely sport during matches. He's had his demons in terms of mastering the psychological side of the game, and doesn't interview especially well.

He's the most successful tennis player this country has produced for over 70 years, and a role model to thousands of kids playing/looking to take up the sport.

And yet people find it quite easy to 'hate' the 'miserable cunt'. It's nothing short of pathetic.
    I agree with Trane, and whilst I'm a huge fan of the playing ability of the likes of Federer, Djokovic, Nadal etc, I'm utterly bored with their constant praise of each other at interviews. All this arse licking is way over the top and I wish they'd go back to the days when players didn't try to hide their dislike for each other. I'm not saying the mentioned 3 do hate each other but it all comes across as incredibly false to me.

Probably not their fault and more to do with their media people advising them but still..

Murray doesn't seem quite so cheesy as the others and I'm not too interested in how nice or funny he is on camera. I've never looked at sports people for those qualities.
  • ram 27 Nov 2012 15:05:42 3,476 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Trane wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Or maybe some of us judge sportsmen on actual sporting ability, passion, and success. Not on whether they shone on the latest episode of celebrity juice.
    Well said.

Bit dour though ;)
  • dufftownallan 27 Nov 2012 15:09:37 4,724 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    simply that he is a boring bastard who doesnt deserve any award that has the term 'personality' associated with it.
    "I hate the oscars, no one called oscar ever wins them"...
  • graysonavich 27 Nov 2012 15:09:57 7,320 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    He moved to Spain the moment he realised he could play tennis and has lived in Surrey since returning. Hardly a model scot to get behind.
  • dufftownallan 27 Nov 2012 15:12:49 4,724 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    i'm living in australia right now, please explain to me how this makes me any less scottish.
  • nickthegun 27 Nov 2012 15:15:28 59,365 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    dufftownallan wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    simply that he is a boring bastard who doesnt deserve any award that has the term 'personality' associated with it.
    That would make more sense if they were called 'The Best Actor Awards' and Megan Fox won one for looking hot.

He totally called it

• Deleted user 27 November 2012 15:16:46
    Are you drunk and unshaven? If the answer is no then that rules you out for being a scot.
  • Fab4 27 Nov 2012 15:19:00 5,986 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    He moved to Spain the moment he realised he could play tennis and has lived in Surrey since returning. Hardly a model scot to get behind.
    Most idiotic thing I've read on here for a while. And that is going some.
  • Trane 27 Nov 2012 15:20:20 4,050 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    dufftownallan wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    That would make more sense if they were called 'The Best Actor Awards' and Megan Fox won one for looking hot.

So the actor with the most acting ability should triumph over the one with the most visual appeal, yet the sportsman with great sporting achievements should lose to someone more media savvy?

Seems you are contradicting yourself, and putting to much stock into the semantics of the actual award name and not what it truly represents.
  • nickthegun 27 Nov 2012 15:22:31 59,365 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Im actually not. If it was the sportsman of the year, not sports personality of the year you may have a point.

In your desperation to contradict me, you seem to have forgotten how to read.

He totally called it

• localnotail 27 Nov 2012 15:22:58 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Another boring Tuesday at the office then?

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• nickthegun 27 Nov 2012 15:23:34 59,365 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah. Around here we call them 'Murrays'.

He totally called it

• dufftownallan 27 Nov 2012 15:24:55 4,724 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    Are you drunk and unshaven? If the answer is no then that rules you out for being a scot.
    I have a beard. i'll go get some goon...
  • Trane 27 Nov 2012 15:25:54 4,050 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Im actually not. If it was the sportsman of the year, not sports personality of the year you may have a point.

In your desperation to contradict me, you seem to have forgotten how to read.
    I'm perfectly able to read thanks, you however still seem unable to grasp that the award has never truly been for the 'best personality in sport'. Maybe you should petition the BBC and state that Freddy Flintoff should have won it for 10 yeas in a row instead of boring gits like Mark Cavendish and Ryan Giggs.
  • nickthegun 27 Nov 2012 15:27:10 59,365 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cavendish is quite a funny guy and giggsy shags other peoples wives. I cant really see what your point is.

He totally called it

• Trane 27 Nov 2012 15:29:07 4,050 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ah, I think we've found your level now, it's starting to make sense. What about lionheart John Terry, fair shout?
  • dufftownallan 27 Nov 2012 15:31:07 4,724 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    from the wiki page about spoty:
    "Awarded to the sportsperson "whose actions have most captured the public's imagination""
    no matter what you think about Murray you can't deny he did this, and on three seperate ocassions.
    fwiw I still reckon wiggy did more.
  • dufftownallan 27 Nov 2012 15:32:55 4,724 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Trane wrote:
    Ah, I think we've found your level now, it's starting to make sense. What about lionheart John Terry, fair shout?
    doesn't really matter if he doesn't win it, he'll still be photoshopped into the presentation photos...
  • kalel 27 Nov 2012 15:33:28 86,809 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    dufftownallan wrote:
    "Awarded to the sportsperson "whose actions have most captured the public's imagination""
    no matter what you think about Murray you can't deny he did this, and on three seperate ocassions.
    Murray most captured the public's imagination but Wiggy did more most?
  • nickthegun 27 Nov 2012 15:36:17 59,365 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Trane wrote:
    No, because he has the personality of a shit. can you see how this works yet?

He totally called it

• kalel 27 Nov 2012 15:39:01 86,809 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If it's a personality contest Wiggins wins.

If it's a sporting contest Wiggins wins.
  • Trane 27 Nov 2012 15:40:34 4,050 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Trane wrote:
    Well you attributed Giggs' validity to win SPOTY to the fact that he 'shags other people's wives'. I thought you might have been the sort of idiot that would champion the 'antics' of John Terry, I have a friend just like that. Could you please be more consistent with your idiocy?

Edited by Trane at 15:41:47 27-11-2012
  • Trane 27 Nov 2012 15:41:25 4,050 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted
  • nickthegun 27 Nov 2012 15:42:35 59,365 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Trane wrote:
    Trane wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Trane wrote:
    Well you attributed Giggs' validity to win SPOTY to the fact that he 'shags other people's wives'. I thought you might have been the sort of idiot that would champion the 'antics' of John Terry, I have a friend just like that. Could you please be more consistent in your idiocy?
    Trane, let me stop you there. You seem to be having some fundamental problems with this at the moment, so its probably best to leave it here. We will all just agree that I think Andy Murray is boring and you think he is great because you are Scottish and call it a day.

My best to your family and your terry loving friend.

He totally called it

• dufftownallan 27 Nov 2012 15:45:12 4,724 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    dufftownallan wrote:
    Murray most captured the public's imagination but Wiggy did more most?
    ah, I meant that Murray DID capture the public imagination (as opposed to simply having a personality), but in my opinion I think wiggins did the MOST to capture the publics imagination.
  • Trane 27 Nov 2012 15:46:35 4,050 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh shit, how am I going to carry on posting now that you stopped me :(

I think you lost any weight you had in this argument with the Giggs comment, but never mind. For the record I'm not Scottish, interesting of you to assume so, though.
  • nickthegun 27 Nov 2012 15:47:17 59,365 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Can you point me towards these imagination capturing metrics you are using? Im currently trying to design a world of wonder but the response has been less than enthusiastic.

He totally called it

• nickthegun 27 Nov 2012 15:49:29 59,365 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Trane wrote:
    I think you lost any weight you had in this argument with the Giggs comment
    I will certainly give you an A for effort.

He totally called it

• Page

of 18 First / Last