BBC Sports Personality of the year 2012 Page 7

• Page

of 18 First / Last

• monkman76 27 Nov 2012 11:11:27 3,922 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Look, I'd be delighted if Wiggins won, of course he deserves it. I just think Murray deserves it about 0.0000001% more. Feel free to disagree.
  • ltbobby 27 Nov 2012 11:16:45 301 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I agree Monkman . Just the emotional story behind it all aswell for Andy Murray. Losing in the Wimbledon final and the amazing response 4 weeks later for Olympic gold, and US open win.
  • dufftownallan 27 Nov 2012 11:27:52 4,723 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    What else am I supposed to base it on? Im sure he sings showtunes around his house and performs ventriloquist acts round pat cash's house, but on the TV he comes across as someone with the personality of a particularly dour ballsack.
    anecdotal evidence, mitigating circumstances (like hating being on the telly/interviewed.) jimmy saville seemed like a lovely fellow when he was fixing things for children, the reality turned out to be a bit different and it seems a shame for you to dismiss murray on the basis that he doesn't smile and cajole in front of the cameras for mr and mrs pleb sitting on the sofa making a decision on whether or not he deserves recognition for his feats.

just sayin...
  • dufftownallan 27 Nov 2012 11:29:54 4,723 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    dufftownallan wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Conversely, Murray exudes the warmth and charm you would expect from am upper class Scotsman.
    you know him do you? or is this just an impression built up through the media he dislikes engaging with?
    Would you like him if he was English?
    am I not allowed to like english people now?!
  • nickthegun 27 Nov 2012 11:31:31 58,782 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    dufftownallan wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    What else am I supposed to base it on? Im sure he sings showtunes around his house and performs ventriloquist acts round pat cash's house, but on the TV he comes across as someone with the personality of a particularly dour ballsack.
    anecdotal evidence, mitigating circumstances (like hating being on the telly/interviewed.) jimmy saville seemed like a lovely fellow when he was fixing things for children, the reality turned out to be a bit different and it seems a shame for you to dismiss murray on the basis that he doesn't smile and cajole in front of the cameras for mr and mrs pleb sitting on the sofa making a decision on whether or not he deserves recognition for his feats.

just sayin...
    And you know Jimmy Savile do you? You know exactly whats going on behind closed doors do you? Or have you just made up your mind based on a media witch hunt?

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• dufftownallan 27 Nov 2012 11:34:21 4,723 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    that's my point!
  • JuanKerr 27 Nov 2012 11:38:57 36,192 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    dufftownallan wrote:
    JuanKerr wrote:
    dufftownallan wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Conversely, Murray exudes the warmth and charm you would expect from am upper class Scotsman.
    you know him do you? or is this just an impression built up through the media he dislikes engaging with?
    Would you like him if he was English?
    am I not allowed to like english people now?!
    That wasn't really my point - I was interested to find out whether you are over-looking his apparent negative personality traits because he's a fellow Scot.

If Murray was English and came across in exactly the same way when you saw him interviewed or whatever, would you still like him?
  • nickthegun 27 Nov 2012 11:40:15 58,782 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeeeeeah... not really.

My point is that I dont give a fuck what murray is like behind closed doors. I have absolutely no way of knowing that.

The only thing I know of him is how he behaves in front of the camera, which is to say 'like a miserable cunt'.

He totally called it

• Armoured_Bear 27 Nov 2012 12:11:48 10,243 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Miserable, dour Scottish cunt

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• dufftownallan 27 Nov 2012 12:34:48 4,723 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Yeeeeeah... not really.

My point is that I dont give a fuck what murray is like behind closed doors. I have absolutely no way of knowing that.

The only thing I know of him is how he behaves in front of the camera, which is to say 'like a miserable cunt'.
    you challenged the notion that Murray has more personality than henman and then seemed to use their differing techniques in answering questions for telly as evidence to the contrary. it just seems odd for you to judge that way.

perhaps he gets more and/or favourable coverage in scotland but my impression of him is of cajoling with his coaches and playing football with tennis balls. perhaps i'm wrong and he IS a dour cunt but i'm not the one definitely deciding that for myself in a thread who's context is in debating which of our sporting heroes deserve the most credit for their various deeds this year.
  • dufftownallan 27 Nov 2012 12:41:28 4,723 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    If Murray was English and came across in exactly the same way when you saw him interviewed or whatever, would you still like him?
    I don't think it's necessarily a case of liking him, I just think he's woefully misrepresented as being incredibly dour when I dont think it's the case, given what i've seen of him. if he were english I would still feel like people are judging him unfairly on such a small parameter.
  • Psychotext 27 Nov 2012 12:53:19 53,780 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Miserable, dour Scottish cunt
    Funny, he sounded Scottish back then... no so much any more.
  • senso-ji 27 Nov 2012 13:05:54 5,789 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
  • Deleted user 27 November 2012 13:14:37
    It's a real shame that grown men need smiley media friendly packages in their sports personalities. Expect that from the other side maybe, or the Sun/Mail readers. Murray is a great player, passionate beyond recognition in UK sport, has a personal history that is underplayed but could easily make up for him being shit, but he isn't thankfully. He refuses to play up to the fucking disgrace that is the media, you people are meant to be above this crap. It has fuck all to do with him being Scottish as well Juan.
  • JuanKerr 27 Nov 2012 13:18:59 36,192 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was just asking that's all. Don't shit yourself about it.
  • Deleted user 27 November 2012 13:21:33
    Very good!
  • nickthegun 27 Nov 2012 13:26:43 58,782 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Theres a difference between 'refusing to play the game' and being a 'smiley media package'.

For example, Alex Ferguson is another miserable scottish cunt but he comes across well in interviews and people think a lot of him because he is a miserable scottish cunt with personality.

He does media his way, the list of journalists and establishments he wont talk to is long, but people respect him because hes quite cool about it.

No one expects murray to carry on like jedward the minute a camera is pointed at him but when it is, he is such a charisma vacuum my tv nearly implodes.

He totally called it

• Deleted user 27 November 2012 13:35:29
    Difference being of course that he is on tv every week almost-for years which has given the dourness a charm. Nobody cares about Murray until Wimbledon so he is seen nowhere near as much.
  • nickthegun 27 Nov 2012 13:42:41 58,782 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You think he never has to do press junkets on the 20 odd tournaments he plays in a year?

He totally called it

• TheSaint 27 Nov 2012 13:47:23 14,199 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Athletes / rowers / swimmers / cyclists just seem a bit more deserving somehow, probably because their sport isn't flooded with money like golf, tennis and football.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19555480
  • dufftownallan 27 Nov 2012 13:54:32 4,723 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Theres a difference between 'refusing to play the game' and being a 'smiley media package'.

For example, Alex Ferguson is another miserable scottish cunt but he comes across well in interviews and people think a lot of him because he is a miserable scottish cunt with personality.

He does media his way, the list of journalists and establishments he wont talk to is long, but people respect him because hes quite cool about it.

No one expects murray to carry on like jedward the minute a camera is pointed at him but when it is, he is such a charisma vacuum my tv nearly implodes.
    I don't think Murray is refusing to play the game, I think he is just genuinely uncomfortable in front of the media which is naturally going to affect how he comes across.

what about at the end of the wimbledon final? I thought he had been rehabilitated in the eyes of the great british public who thought he was incapable of expressing emotion?

I think the fergie comparison is a bit superfluous anyway; he's in charge of a team that has a massive media focus on it, he can manipulate the media due to the power he has built up over the last quarter century at man yoo and he's been dealing with the media before andy had picked up a racquet! Murray has an intense media spotlight shone on him for a fortnight every year and is then largely forgotten about!
  • dufftownallan 27 Nov 2012 13:56:33 4,723 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    You think he never has to do press junkets on the 20 odd tournaments he plays in a year?
    how many of those are broadcast in britain though?

and erm, yeah, for my last bit - what mowgli said...
  • Kostabi 27 Nov 2012 13:57:13 4,874 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Difference being of course that he is on tv every week almost-for years which has given the dourness a charm. Nobody cares about Murray until Wimbledon so he is seen nowhere near as much.
    He's number 3 in the world. That means interviews before and after every match he plays in throughout the year.
  • nickthegun 27 Nov 2012 14:00:45 58,782 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    dufftownallan wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    how many of those are broadcast in britain though?
    Whats that got to do with anything?

He totally called it

• fergal_oc 27 Nov 2012 14:02:13 2,763 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Murray for me, then Weir, then Wiggo.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 27 Nov 2012 14:04:10 6,654 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Paul Scholes
  • Deleted user 27 November 2012 14:07:35
    nickthegun wrote:
    Thats the point though. How many of them have you bothered to watch could pared to AF? The people who speak highly of Murray are often the same people who have seen more of him than the flurry at Wimbledon.
  • ram 27 Nov 2012 14:08:02 3,471 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Surely most people realise personality isn't something that is the sole preserve of the tv interview? Yes he isn't gushing or very relaxed in one on one interviews. On court he's different.

I saw Murray at Wimbledon Olympics and he had plenty of personality on court. Geeing up the crowd, being passionate, getting annoyed and celebrating massively when he won etc.

He's not a tv personality he's a sport personality. Seems a few here can't work out the difference.

Edited by ram at 14:13:12 27-11-2012
  • dufftownallan 27 Nov 2012 14:09:27 4,723 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @nickthegun it's got to do with how familiar you are with murrays media presence than that of fergies. i'm positing that you feel fergie has more personality because your impression of him has been allowed to build up more consistently and over several more years.
  • dufftownallan 27 Nov 2012 14:11:45 4,723 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    Paul Scholes
    wow, I was actually going to use him as an example of someone who doesn't like being interviewed; does this make him devoid of personality?
  • Page

of 18 First / Last