BBC Sports Personality of the year 2012

• Page

of 18 First / Last

Previous
  • kalel 11 Sep 2012 08:50:30 86,798 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    As if this wasn't hotly contested enough already, Murray had to go and win the US Open. Then again he still has no personality, so perhaps it's moot.

No idea how they're going to sort this one out. David Weir's heroics further complicate the matter. The cop out is to just give it to Team GB of course.

Good job we cocked up the Euros.
  • Dougs 11 Sep 2012 08:54:04 67,024 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    As if cocking up the Euros was in any doubt!
  • ecureuil 11 Sep 2012 08:57:26 76,655 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Still got the Ryder Cup to come as well.
  • sport 11 Sep 2012 08:58:09 12,675 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gotta be Boris.
  • roz123 11 Sep 2012 09:10:34 7,112 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Here are the awards
    BBC Sports Personality of the Year Award: Awarded to the sportsperson "whose actions have most captured the public's imagination"

Mo Farah

BBC Overseas Sports Personality of the Year: Awarded to the sportsperson "who has made the greatest impression in the world of sport"

Didier Drogba

BBC Sports Personality Team of the Year Award: Awarded to the team with the most notable achievement in British sport.

Chelsea FC

BBC Sports Personality of the Year Lifetime Achievement Award: Awarded to a sportsperson "who has made a major impact on the world of sport during their lifetime"

Seb Coe

BBC Sports Personality of the Year Coach Award: Awarded to the coach who is adjudged to have made the most impact on British sport

Di Matteo :p. TBH I have no clue who coaches who in the Olympics and Ivan Lendl has no personality.

BBC Sports Personality of the Year Helen Rollason Award: Awarded to someone who has shown "outstanding achievement in the face of adversity"

David Weir. Not sure if he qualifies since everyone he was competing with had similar adversity.

BBC Young Sports Personality of the Year: Awarded to a young sportsperson who has made an outstanding contribution to British sport

Laura Trott

BBC Sports Unsung Hero Award: Award to someone who "has given their time and talents for free to enable others to participate in sport"

Someone I have never heard of hopefully.

Edited by roz123 at 09:13:49 11-09-2012
  • senso-ji 11 Sep 2012 09:16:35 5,840 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Order will be:

1. Murray
    2. Wiggins
    3. Farah
  • Flightrisker 11 Sep 2012 09:19:53 18,096 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Kenny Dalglish.
  • kalel 11 Sep 2012 09:20:49 86,798 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd quite like Ben Ainsley to win simply to surprise everyone.

He's arguably easily as deserving as anyone else if not more so.

I think it'll be Wiggins though. Would be very surprised if it's Murray. Feels like he has better years ahead of him yet, whereas this is it for the likes of Wiggins, Ainsley, Farah and Ennis.
  • ecureuil 11 Sep 2012 09:25:28 76,655 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wiggins is the first ever British Tour de France winner, and won the Olympic road race by some distance. I think he'll win it.

I agree with kalel, there's still more to come from Murray.
  • DaM 11 Sep 2012 09:27:05 12,968 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'll be miffed if Ben Ainsley doesn't get a knighthood. Clearly Bradley should get it, but if it's a public vote....

Isn't it good that it's such a hard choice for all the right reasons? :)
  • sport 11 Sep 2012 09:28:28 12,675 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ben Ainsley?!?!? Seriously?!?! Might as well give the award to the wind.

;-P
  • Trane 11 Sep 2012 09:30:18 4,050 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wiggins will win. Team GB will win 'team of the year' kalel ;)
  • StarchildHypocrethes 11 Sep 2012 09:31:22 25,512 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is it a public vote? I'd say it'll be Farrah if it is.
  • Vortex808 11 Sep 2012 09:31:39 7,049 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Personally, I hope Wiggins wins it. He's had some immense achievements over the last few years all capped with this years Tour win and olympics.

Cav should probably have won it a few years back for breaking the British record for most stage wins in the Tour, so I feel cycling is owed some recognition!
  • Deckard1 11 Sep 2012 09:31:41 27,584 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Wiggins will walk it. Or pedal it or whatever.

Hush you ponce

• LeoliansBro 11 Sep 2012 09:33:04 43,641 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You've argued Ainslie before kal. As I said then - he's had a stunning career, but this award is for achievements solely in 2012, where several people have done more than him.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Deleted user 11 September 2012 09:34:49
    Hopefully lewis can win the WDC as well.

Great win by murray last night, listened to it on the radio, till the end of the second set, he was was quite lucky to get through that. well done though.

I hope bradley wiggins wins it. Winning the tour is unprecedented. The cyling lobby is pretty vocal and tight knit so i think they will come out enforce.

But i hope they really celebrate it.

Ashame really the brownlee brothers won't even get a look in, i been watching a bit of triathon since the olympics and these guys are awesome.

Bet john terry wins it.
  • Trane 11 Sep 2012 09:35:02 4,050 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    Personally, I hope Wiggins wins it. He's had some immense achievements over the last few years all capped with this years Tour win and olympics.

Cav should probably have won it a few years back for breaking the British record for most stage wins in the Tour, so I feel cycling is owed some recognition!
    Are you serious?
  • elstoof 11 Sep 2012 09:36:45 6,944 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wiggins has a couple of years left in him still, and he could return to the track for Rio if he can't cut it on the road in 4 years time. I'd like to see Ainsley get it but he's making noises about Rio and Americas cup, perhaps they might justify holding back.
  • ecureuil 11 Sep 2012 09:36:52 76,655 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hoy won in 2008, Cavendish won it in last year, the cycling team got the team award in 2008 and Dave Brailsford also won the coach award that year.
  • kalel 11 Sep 2012 09:37:19 86,798 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    You've argued Ainslie before kal. As I said then - he's had a stunning career, but this award is for achievements solely in 2012, where several people have done more than him.
    Except that isn't really true. Yes, technically the award is for the calendar year but it's fairly obvious they take career into account, hence Giggs wining over Button and Ennis a couple of years ago.

Anyway, I agree Wiggins probably comes above Ainsley, but I think Ainsley comes above Murray.
  • elstoof 11 Sep 2012 09:38:37 6,944 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Didn't Cav win it last year?
  • X201 11 Sep 2012 09:40:37 15,228 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Whatever short-list they come up with will be "Wrong" in the eyes of one tabloid* or another.

*Probably the Daily Mail, as they never miss an opportunity to bash the BBC
  • X201 11 Sep 2012 09:41:48 15,228 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Didn't Cav win it last year?
    Yeah, the cycling lobby will be out in force this year, Could swing it for Wiggins as the votes for others could get spread thinly.
  • Deleted user 11 September 2012 09:46:26
    Trane wrote:
    Vortex808 wrote:

Are you serious?
    The first part is very true. Wiggo as been supreme this year. he will never do what he did this year again. Winning the tour de france is massive in my eyes. winning paris - nice, tour de romadie, criterium de deauphine, TDF, and the olympic time trail. Also he really likeable (the cricket crowd seemed to embrace with open arms), and alongside Cadel evans he is as seen as the start of a new leaf of drug free winners of the tour. He pretty vocal on anti drugs and thus a good role model.

But as some one said above the lack of overall sport on terrestial is pretty shocking. needs to change.
  • RedSparrows 11 Sep 2012 09:48:18 22,220 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They can't change it whilst you sods give all the money to Sky.
  • Trane 11 Sep 2012 09:52:01 4,050 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    Trane wrote:
    Vortex808 wrote:

Are you serious?
    The first part is very true. Wiggo as been supreme this year. he will never do what he did this year again. Winning the tour de france is massive in my eyes. winning paris - nice, tour de romadie, criterium de deauphine, TDF, and the olympic time trail. Also he really likeable (the cricket crowd seemed to embrace with open arms), and alongside Cadel evans he is as seen as the start of a new leaf of drug free winners of the tour. He pretty vocal on anti drugs and thus a good role model.

But as some one said above the lack of overall sport on terrestial is pretty shocking. needs to change.
    I wasn't disagreeing with the gist of the post, I want Wiggins to win and believe that he should. More that the guy seemed blissfully unaware that 2 out of the last 4 winners have been cyclists, last year was Cav FFS!
  • mcmonkeyplc 11 Sep 2012 10:00:22 39,411 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Wiggo, Farrah, Ennis.

Murray will have to wait his turn.

Team will go to Team GB.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• elstoof 11 Sep 2012 10:00:34 6,944 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cav's win last year blows Wiggo's chances I reckon, BBC love a bit of diversity.
  • Deleted user 11 September 2012 10:01:05
    ah sorry mssed the gist of the post.

Think that victoria pendleton will win lifetime achievement as well.
  • Page

of 18 First / Last

Previous