Come and get it cumslingers!

• Armoured_Bear 3 Jan 2013 10:49:55 10,234 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Baggies wrote:
    Widge wrote:
    Ok! My steambox!

Case:

Silverstone SG07 (there is now a follow up, the SG08)
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-223-SV
    600w powersupply and I *think* I got the USB 3 version... although I wired up to the USB 2 on the mobo because I wasn't 100% clear at the time of building. Has a switch on the back so you can have the mega fan on top run at either high or low speed.

i5 3570k:
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-444-IN

250GB SSD:
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-162-SA

Gigabyte z77n w/WIFI:
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-417-GI

Ram was this, but you can probably get whatever you want on deal:
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-058-PA&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=1517

MSI Nvidia 660 OC Twin Frozr:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-msi-gtx-660-twin-frozr-iii-oc-28nm-pcie-30-(x16)-6008mhz-gddr5-gpu-1033mhz-boost-1098mhz-cores-9
    Now this existed in my big PC, bought with the premise of moving to this box at some point. Turns out to be almost a tragedy. Look at the second picture and you see a big heatpipe that runs across the top. That obscures the epic fan that sits across the top of the SG07. Thankfully, the bit it obscures you can unscrew and remove otherwise I'd be selling. Looking at the cards in this bracket, they all have heatpipes that stick out the top, so you takes your pick I think. The card itself is silent and beasts most games. Downloading Metro 2033 to see how having an i5 helps with it.

All in all, a dreamy system. Ran Skyrim and Deus Ex on max settings last night to test out Big Picture and controller. Stuck my hand over the top after a while and everything from the case felt cool. 660 vents felt cool too. This is with the mega case fan set to low as well, so the thing runs quietly. I got the Twin Frozr 660 over the 7850 as the 7850 doesn't perform so well with noise. Plus the extra £age gave just the required extra performance to keep me happy.

Don't think there is a need for a custom CPU cooler, but if you are keen on one, this looks alright:
    http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=50&lng=en

It wasn't too expensive to build, the case was a present when leaving my last job, M&D got me the RAM for xmas, and I sold my Dell laptop for £300 to fund the rest. Decided to grab all the bits from Micro Direct for a net £30 more than the links above as I could walk next door and pick them up, get started that evening!
    Love it. Might have to build myself one of these.
    I did something smilar, maybe there's helpful info here.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Derblington 22 Jul 2013 09:37:04 21,261 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bumping with some questions...

At the end of this year I will end up with a PS4 and maybe an X1, for a total of about £800. I'm toying with the idea of ditching that and building myself a gaming PC (purely for gaming; Steam will replace my consoles, I won't use it for anything else).

It's been a loooong time since I've PC gamed.

How many games don't offer controller support? There are some things that I'd like to play, like Torchlight 2, that I would obv. use kb&m, but for the most part I want to emulate my console gaming.

What's the rough cost of building a PC at the moment? Something powerful and a little future proof. I wouldn't really want to add upgrades for at least 2 years. Bearing in mind that I'd be spending about £800 anyway, I'm assuming this won't be any kind of issue for something very good.

In terms of MP shooters, say BF4 as an example, how competitive can you be with a controller when others are running around with PC inputs? I don't need to win, I just don't want to feel frustrated by it; I assume at least one person here does it?

Cheers.
  • magicpanda 22 Jul 2013 10:06:00 13,248 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah you will get a nice PC for £800. I spent £500 on a gaming PC a couple of years ago and it's still going strong. I'll buy a new graphics card at some point soon. Loads of threads about for that.

You will really, really struggle to be in any way competitive with Multiplayer FPS games on a Pad.

That said, everything else is fair game. I use an Xbox or PS3 pad more often than not now. Even dig the Wiimotes out now and then for Dolphin.

Edited by magicpanda at 10:07:48 22-07-2013
  • Benno 22 Jul 2013 10:10:27 9,759 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you're building yourself, £800 will be more than enough.

EG Hearthstone Tournament

• Shikasama 22 Jul 2013 10:21:48 6,599 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    In terms of MP shooters, say BF4 as an example, how competitive can you be with a controller when others are running around with PC inputs? I don't need to win, I just don't want to feel frustrated by it; I assume at least one person here does it?
    Hang on don't you work for DICE?
  • khaz 22 Jul 2013 10:23:52 2,701 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Boils down to how competitive you are.

If you're gonna run around with a controller against M+KB in FPS games, you'll get slaughtered on any server that takes its FPS gaming even halfway seriously.

The more casual crowd wouldn't give two shits.
  • Widge Moderator 22 Jul 2013 10:33:21 13,243 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Derblington wrote:

How many games don't offer controller support?

As time goes on, less and less are coming without at least partial controller support. Which is fantastic. Notable games that I play that don't have any are Planetside 2 (fingers crossed though), Mass Effect series and Oblivion.

It is worth getting something like a Logitech K400i to have by your side for those moments where you need a KB&M for navigation. Plus I have a G700 wireless gaming mouse for the full on experience. You'll need some sort of surface to play on though, a big laptop slab to put on your lap should do. Not quite the console experience.

What's the rough cost of building a PC at the moment? Something powerful and a little future proof. I wouldn't really want to add upgrades for at least 2 years. Bearing in mind that I'd be spending about £800 anyway, I'm assuming this won't be any kind of issue for something very good.

I costed this up for someone, I missed off the final VAT price as I am clever, but it was something like £760.

I actually went for a bigger SSD and ditched the second HDD as I have a NAS. The 660 should see you through, but the ones people tend to get at the moment are the 660i and 670. I don't like spending more than £150 on a graphics card at the most, though.

In terms of MP shooters, say BF4 as an example, how competitive can you be with a controller when others are running around with PC inputs?

Cheers.
    Can't say. I've been mainly SP for my PC gaming, and Planetside 2 has been a controller experience. Have been happily playing Deus Ex with a controller though. I find I am smoother with a pad, if less reactive. Can't imagine you'd be crippled.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• Derblington 22 Jul 2013 10:35:10 21,261 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    Derblington wrote:
    Relevance?
  • Shikasama 22 Jul 2013 10:41:06 6,599 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Shikasama wrote:
    Derblington wrote:
    Relevance?
    Rather bizarre someone works for a developer of one of the best PC shooters available asking these sorts of questions, especially regarding the difference between controllers and mice.

I guess I just assumed that developers all had personal super computers at home.
  • graysonavich 22 Jul 2013 10:47:05 7,309 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Why would you buy a Ferrari and only drive it in reverse?
  • Derblington 22 Jul 2013 11:10:39 21,261 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    Rather bizarre someone works for a developer of one of the best PC shooters available asking these sorts of questions, especially regarding the difference between controllers and mice.

I guess I just assumed that developers all had personal super computers at home.
    I know there is a difference and I'm not asking about the game. I just wondered on what that difference actually amounted to in real terms. I could find out myself but figured someone here would have the experience to pass on. I'll check it out later today.

And, no, I don't have a PC at home at all. I typically run a Mac because I jumped out of PC gaming a long time ago in favour of consoles. Most of the office do have personal super computers at home, and it benefits me to know the other side of the coin for that very reason.
  • Widge Moderator 22 Jul 2013 11:12:38 13,243 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I echo the "only get ONE console" comment. I think (if you take the form of the generation to this point) that most games will be available on your spankingly awesome PC. This will just leave you with the choice of which company does the most exclusives you want console wise. I'd know what I'd pick.

As I say, controller isn't so bad on PC at all. If it was terrible, all FPS games would be umplayable. Deus Ex was fine, Bioshock was fine, Crysis 2 seemed more thank ok... Dish-honoured even has toggles to turn console style compensation on and off.

EDIT:

I would go test it for you, but the only MP game I'd probably play would be Left 4 Dead 2.

Having said all of this, lots of games on PC absolutely OOZE the fact they are being primarily designed for controller. Skyrim feels absolutely sluggish on mouse, but delightful on a pad. Deus Ex, as I said, feels like it should be purely pad driven.

I'd also say anything third person plays better with a pad.

Edited by Widge at 11:15:22 22-07-2013

_ _ _

• monkehhh 22 Jul 2013 11:14:57 3,266 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Using a controller for multiplayer FPS on PC would be a huge exercise in frustration for me, I imagine you will die a lot because of it. Wider support for controllers is very good, especially the 360 pad, and I use them in a lot of stuff. Just not multiplayer FPS.
  • Shikasama 22 Jul 2013 11:20:17 6,599 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I use a controller for basically all of my third person action games and most ARPGs. I feel much more in control with an analogue stick in Hack n Slash games than with the K&M

I wouldn't ever use it for anything where other people will have an advantage against me though. I'd get absolutely mullered on PS2 for example.
  • graysonavich 22 Jul 2013 11:21:12 7,309 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    I'd also say anything third person plays better with a pad.
    I hear this a lot. I don't quite subscribe to the thinking behind it. Rendering the character on the screen doesn't change the controls. Unless it's psychological with the character animations clashing with the definite nature of WASD.

Edited by graysonavich at 11:22:04 22-07-2013
  • Phattso Moderator 22 Jul 2013 11:25:41 13,188 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It changes our relationship with the controls. Aiming in the first person clearly benefits from accuracy. The more the better. Any removed viewpoint will generally reduce the amount of accuracy required - at that point a mouse is overkill. I always found the mouse to be twitchy in third person games.

Generally tend to like analogue control for body movement too - actually even in first person I find WASD annoyingly digital. The Wii nunchuck was half the right idea, it just should've had a mouse on the other side. ;)
  • Widge Moderator 22 Jul 2013 11:26:47 13,243 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I guess I just didn't like controlling Shepard with a mouse. Could be more of a game thing. Mass Effect felt like it should be controlled with sticks, and bizarrely didn't feature them at all.

_ _ _

• graysonavich 22 Jul 2013 11:39:47 7,309 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think it's more to do with the mouse movement/mouse look in general. In a true first person you can do a full 360. In modern third person games your guy just stands there looking 180 at best.

I suppose that just makes it feel a lot more wooden and unresponsive.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Next