Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA F

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • jasondonervan 4 Sep 2012 10:14:30 98 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago

This just came out in Japan last week, and my copy arrived yesterday. I've only had a very short time with it so just a few early impressions for now:

- Production quality overall for the movies and menus is excellent.
    - The rhythm action is fun, a combination of (predominantly) buttons and touch screen presses. The tightness on the Vita's face buttons ensures that only you are to blame should you not hit those 'COOL' notes every time!
    - As always with games that heavily feature J-pop tracks, your mileage will vary depending on your tolerance for this sort of thing.
    - I've yet to try out the included AR card and its functionality, but there are also a couple of other cards that you can download as PDFs from the website to use.

I'll add some more meaningful impressions after more time with it, if anyone's interested! ^_^

Edited by jasondonervan at 11:54:20 04-09-2012
  • santashi 4 Sep 2012 10:57:40 5,166 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Still waiting on my copy but looking forward to its arrival at some point. :) Good to hear that you're enjoying it. Have you tried putting the Miku skin on the Vita yet?

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• jasondonervan 4 Sep 2012 11:26:28 98 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I haven't used the skin - bad memories of using a heavily adhesive Starwing sticker on a SNES pad back in the day, and never being able to fully remove all the gluey sludge after I tried peeling it back off again prevent me from using it :D

When you do get your copy, here's the link for the two additional AR cards that you can print off.
  • santashi 4 Sep 2012 11:35:03 5,166 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thanks! I already downloaded the extra AR cards and wallpapers actually. I was being a little over-eager. :D It's definitely good to link to them in the thread though.

The couple of times I tried putting screen protectors on consoles I couldn't seem to avoid getting specks of dust under the protector no matter how much I wiped the console beforehand. I have a feeling that attempting to put the Miku skin on will yield the same result. ;)

Where did you order from, by the way?

• jasondonervan 4 Sep 2012 11:53:06 98 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Play Asia. Ordered on Friday afternoon, UPS guy banging at the door (demanding money for the customs charge :( ) yesterday morning! I did pay a little extra for faster shipping, but I certainly didn't expect it to take a mere 3 days to arrive, a very nice surprise indeed.

It was expensive, but seeing how there hasn't even been a hint of a Western release appearing anytime soon (bar a couple of demo units at E3 by SEGA in order to 'gauge interest'), I thought I'd jump in early and give it a shot.
  • santashi 4 Sep 2012 12:50:26 5,166 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Wow, that is quick! Shame about the customs charge though. :/

By the way, if you want to chat about the game with someone else who has already played it, uiruki has been playing it too, just in case you didn't see his posts. :)

• santashi 10 Sep 2012 11:04:12 5,166 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Guess what just arrived? :D

• Murbal 10 Sep 2012 11:59:15 22,375 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @santashi give us a clue!
  • santashi 10 Sep 2012 12:08:43 5,166 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Murbal I should have deliberately posted in the wrong thread to confound everyone. ;)

Edit: Fun! Played the first three songs and had a look at the other sections. Need to get the hang of switching between buttons and touch screen though.

Edited by santashi at 12:59:51 10-09-2012

• santashi 11 Sep 2012 21:47:57 5,166 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Very enjoyable. I think one of my favourite things about the game so far is how it really gives you a sense of learning and improving (my progression being from 'utterly clueless' to 'getting somewhere'). A real sense of the more you play, the more you learn, and great satisfaction when it pays off.

A tiny thing that completely baffles me is the choice to have the sprites displayed as fuzzy low-res images in the menus. Obviously this doesn't affect the gameplay at all but it bugs me when I go to buy a new outfit and they all look a bit blurry and icky. Anyway. Minor niggle, mainly niggling because it's so darn odd.

To counter this, a small but very nice plus is the illustrations that they use for the loadng screens. I'm not sure I've ever looked forward to seeing loading screens before, but it is rather nice to see what the next picture will be. You can of course also screenshot an image to use it to use as background on your Vita.

• jasondonervan 12 Sep 2012 10:40:28 98 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    You got it, excellent! I echo all of your sentiments, it's a more-ish game for sure. I've often found myself saying 'just one more track', then I've rolled through another 5 or so before I know it!

There's a trophy for seeing all loading screens, might take a while as they're random and there are about 60-70 I think.

I'll add you on PSN shortly, it'll be nice to have someone to compare trophy progress with :)
  • santashi 12 Sep 2012 10:52:55 5,166 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @jasondonervan Please do! I imagine the trophies might take me some time though. :) Do you have to do things like get perfect on every track?

I tried my first hard track this morning and managed to just miss it first time round and got a cheap. :p Got a standard on my second go though, when I'd got over the 'ahhh, it uses all the buttons???' reaction.

The only rhythm game I've tried before is Theatrhythm, which is all stylus/touch based, so this genre is pretty new to me. Really getting into it though. :D

• jasondonervan 12 Sep 2012 11:08:47 98 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Trophies list:

Gold
    - Clear all normal
    - Clear all hard
    - Get all Chance Time
    - Get all modules
    - Get all DIVA Room events

Silver
    - Watch all PVs
    - Max friendship with Miku
    - Max friendship with Rin
    - Max friendship with Len
    - Max friendship with Luka
    - Max friendship with Kaito
    - Max friendship with Meiko
    - Upload one edit data
    - Get all room themes
    - Get all furniture
    - Get all gift items
    - Play the staff roll mini-game

Bronze
    - Clear the tutorial
    - Play all characters in Free Play
    - Collect all artwork
    - Visit at least once all the DIVA rooms
    - Hey! Look over there (Rock Paper Scissor game) Straight win
    - Use kitchen timer for more than 3 minutes
    - Player has stopped the alarm
    - Watch all Live AR
    - Created one Edit Data
    - Played your favorite Edit
    - Inputted your Profile
  • jasondonervan 12 Sep 2012 11:10:16 98 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Menu translations
  • santashi 12 Sep 2012 11:28:29 5,166 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thanks! I hadn't actually looked at the trophy list yet. I noticed a few popping while I was in the game but never checked afterwards. I could have sworn one of them was a silver, though, and I honestly didn't think I'd done anything to merit it. I'd better go and look what I've done... :redface:

So glad they only want clear and not perfect. And only on normal and hard, too! That's pretty do-able.

• Murbal 12 Sep 2012 11:31:17 22,375 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lower interest from women shocker!

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/09/07/hatsune-miku-project-diva-f-saw-lower-interest-from-women/
  • santashi 12 Sep 2012 11:39:01 5,166 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    If 30% were guys and 20% were women... what was the other 50%? Only joking. ;)

I dunno, actually. Why would it be less appealing to women? It's a fairly cutesy game. I'm probably missing something glaringly obvious though. :p

• consignia 12 Sep 2012 17:02:19 1,433 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I just got it today. Nearly chucked out my pre-order bonus in the midst of all the packaging. Not that I'm going to use, but you know, I didn't want to just throw it away.

But yeah, I'm having a really hard time with the touch controls. I'm a bit a of a vet of the series, so only just passing the first songs on normal is a bit dis-heartening. I totally lose the rhythm as soon as I have a touch beat.
  • santashi 12 Sep 2012 18:45:20 5,166 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @consignia My Miku skin came with a small ding in it which I'm trying my hardest to ignore but it is fairly obvious. :(

How are you doing the touch section? I find it helps to keep your finger on the screen during the whole star section and just move it around rather than swiping like on an ipod or something. Or I sometimes do a mixture depending on the rhythm.

• consignia 12 Sep 2012 19:42:51 1,433 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've tried it both ways. Touching for every beat, or keeping my finger on the screen. The former doesn't register all the time, and the latter makes it harder to keep the rhythm, at least for me. I'm getting a little better with it, but I think it's a bit of a crappy mechanic.
  • jasondonervan 13 Sep 2012 09:10:59 98 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm with santashi, a constant touch on the screen is best - but with some of the more hectic songs, I've had to prep up two fingers as I can't swipe fast enough with just the one!

I was considering ordering DJ MAX Technika Tune, but the gameplay videos I've seen all show it's touch only, and the difficulty on DJ MAX games is often off the scale (based on my past experience with Portable 3 on the PSP). Probably best to stick with the vocaloids for now!
  • santashi 15 Sep 2012 20:35:08 5,166 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hmm, haven't tried swiping with two fingers.

By the way, the alarm clock is quite a nice extra, isn't it? The Vocaloids never wake up until you poke them though. Lazy beggars. ;)

• santashi 18 Sep 2012 15:26:48 5,166 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    How's everyone finding it now? I am having trouble with Negative-Positive Continues and World's End Dancehall. I've played them a number of times now but keep missing even a standard grade. :eek:

I do love the variety in videos that the game has. Generally a mixture of insane and cute.

• consignia 19 Sep 2012 21:50:09 1,433 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm finally getting used the touch controls, so I'm finally getting Excellent ranks on hard. Still not too chuffed with them in general, and they leave me more fatigued than previous games.

While the music videos look lovely, I'm finding them more of a distraction than ever. They were a nice bit of wall paper previously, but they are actually quite complex here. I've read there's alternative endings for them based on how well you do, but I'll be buggered if I can verify that.

I'd also lie if I said I was disappointed that there's no Black Rock Shooter module for Miku. I suppose it's tied up in IP right madness though. In general the module selection is a bit poor compared earlier games as well, I've felt.

Edited by consignia at 21:55:33 19-09-2012
  • santashi 19 Sep 2012 22:25:43 5,166 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah, the endings definitely do change. I thought my memory was going haywire the first time it happened. :D

I was hoping for BRS too. Some of the Vocaloids seem to be a bit short on their modules so far. Not completed the hard set though so maybe that unlocks a bunch?

Also, why do the Vocaloids like being poked in the eye?! It certainly wouldn't increase my affection levels.

• santashi 7 Nov 2012 09:18:06 5,166 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    There's some DLC up for Neru, Haku and Teto. No additional singing voices though, just the appearance.

• consignia 7 Nov 2012 13:46:45 1,433 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Since the DLC is tied to accounts, and I've only got my UK PSN account on my Vita, I can't be arsed faffing about with it just for some characters models. I might be a bit miffed if they bring out some decent song packs out, though.
  • santashi 7 Nov 2012 13:48:46 5,166 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    My thoughts exactly.

• santashi 6 Jun 2013 21:35:44 5,166 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I know this is in the Vita forum, but the title is F rather than f, so I'm going to take it as covering the PS3 version, too. :p

...Which is coming out in Europe (as a digital download) and in America as both physical and downloadable. Ta-da!

• HiddenAway 17 Jun 2013 06:59:37 14,923 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I never really gave Miku a chance until the EU demo came out. I downloaded the demo last night and I didn't dislike it...

I was unhealthily addicted to it :p. I wish it was the Vita version though.

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous