Good times, bad times, with the radio on. Page 2

• Page

of 3 First / Last

• Oh-Bollox 3 Sep 2012 12:01:59 5,246 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Over the past few years, BBC 6 Music has been unmissable for me on the weekends. Adam and Joe, Jon Holmes, and Guy Garvey have all done absolutely top-notch shows. Jarvis Cocker has also been good, mostly. Cerys Matthews I used to find repulsive but I now spend most of her show with a semi-on. Craig Charles is a bit of a knob but he plays so much good music it's worth putting up with minor GBH of the lugholes.

The bad? Liz Kershaw is a fucking joke, Nemone is mediocre, Huey is sometimes good and sometimes awful, and Stuart Maconie's voice does my fucking head in.
  • mrpon 3 Sep 2012 12:02:23 28,893 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Adrian Juste on Radio 1 back in the early 90s raised a murmur on my part time Saturday job.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• localnotail 3 Sep 2012 12:05:47 23,093 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wot no Peel? Really didn't like a lot of what he played, but his voice and character will always be a happy radio memory for me. 6 Music is his legacy, and the stuff his son plays on there carries his spirit (and pleases me more)

Radio 4 to the core, first thing I do every weekday morning is turn it on. Too many memories, HHGTTG opened my mind at a young age, also the awesome LOTR adaptation made Sundays terribly exciting for a while.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• nickthegun 3 Sep 2012 12:09:14 59,860 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Weirdly, when I went to the new forest last weekend, I listened to BBC Solent on saturday. Unlike most local BBC stations, the guy on wasnt playing vera lynn and talking about garden gnomes, he was playing some absolutely brilliant reggae, dub and ska.

It was genuinely one of the best playlists ive ever heard on the radio, covering the full spectrum. I was skanking all the way to peppa pig world.

Edited by nickthegun at 12:10:17 03-09-2012

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• localnotail 3 Sep 2012 12:10:23 23,093 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh, and listening to Radio Luxembourg, the great 208, on a crackly transistor radio, when I was a girl, right after the discovery of fire.

• Trafford 3 Sep 2012 12:23:39 5,791 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Fuck, how could I forget Peel? Probably because I last listened to him in 93-94. Staying up late getting wasted in my dads greenhouse was definitely a highlight. His son , Tom Ravenscroft is on 6 music nowadays.
    Peel along with Andy Kershaw got me into world music as a young man.
    Shame about Andy Kershaw and his personal life, apparently he's a real twat. His broadcasting work was superb.
  • Chopsen 3 Sep 2012 12:24:18 15,949 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    Wot no Peel? Really didn't like a lot of what he played,...
    That's the thing though really. A lot the stuff Peel played, most in fact, was undeniably shit. He was a great champion of new acts and lots of left-field stuff that didn't get played elsewhere, but it was really hard work sifting through the dross to get to the stuff that was actually worth it. I listened to him quite a bit in my teens, but in those days stuff like the internet didn't exist, the rest of radio was very limited.

So on the one hand, it was great there was at least *someone* who gave things outside of the mainstream an outlet and for that he should be cherished, but on the other hand his taste was pretty awful unless you were the kind of person who really REALLY liked The Fall.
  • BillMurray 3 Sep 2012 12:28:10 7,734 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    High: Mark and Lard 1993-2004

Low: Everything on Radio one
    This!

Not a lot of love for Cerys Matthews but I really like listening to her and like 90% of what she plays. Do like a bit of Jarvis Cocker aswell. There's not an awful lot on 6 Music I don't like really.

My other highlights include Adam and Joe before they went their separate ways, Fighting Talk on 5 Live(although I admit I haven't listened to it in an awful long time. Peel and the shipping forecast also worth a mention, especially the Peel session.

Edited by BillMurray at 12:29:21 03-09-2012
  • guts 3 Sep 2012 12:43:29 1,690 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    When I was a kid, we named our dogs first born puppy after a song that was playing at the time on the radio. Our new dog was called Amadeus. He's dead now, but he was a lovely dog.

Whassamattayou, whyoulookasosad, itsanicaplace, itsanotsobad, heyshaddupayourface.

• Salaman 3 Sep 2012 13:03:39 19,037 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    When I moved to the Uk in 2005, I was initially living in Stoneleigh and working in Epsom. A brief 10-15 minute commute.
    I didn't know any of the radio stations really so I went through them randomly until I found something I liked.

I pretty quickly settled on XFM's breakfast show with some girlie presenting. I forgot her name. She sounded amazingly chipper and cheerful, no matter what the hour and it always put me in a good mood heading into work.

Worst radio was in the initial week(s) where I was still checking out the various stations.
    LBC talk radio with some pompous idiot doing some sort of discussion session on a "topic of the day".
    I'd get to it, think "that's an interesting topic" and after 2 or 3 callers switch of because the host was a complete idiot.
  • RedSparrows 3 Sep 2012 14:35:11 22,591 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tom Ravenscroft is always a good gamble: he played the Godspeed You...! sessions from Maida Vale a few weeks back. That was a treat.
  • Trafford 3 Sep 2012 14:59:02 5,791 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    6 Music breakfast host Sean Keaveney has become very annoying recently. His impressions, it's like having Mike Yarwood on the radio.
    It's a shame when the ego takes over.
  • localnotail 3 Sep 2012 15:14:21 23,093 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Can't stand him. Used to like Phil Jupitas at breakfast when 6 first started, but I need the Today programme to feel right in the morning.

I like Cerys Matthews, she has a lovely voice & actually knows her stuff about the old blues music, my Dad was impressed with a show she did on R4.

Edited by localnotail at 17:23:53 03-09-2012

• Vortex808 3 Sep 2012 15:22:27 7,134 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    6 Music breakfast host Sean Keaveney has become very annoying recently. His impressions, it's like having Mike Yarwood on the radio.
    It's a shame when the ego takes over.
    :) Agreed.

I used to have Radio 6 on the radio alarm clock. I used to like waking up to tunes I liked, or were interesting. Mr Keaveney's less than awesome impressions and build up shit with his "used to be a crap 'britpop' band drummer" mate caused the missus to actively make me change the channel.

:(
  • Chopsen 3 Sep 2012 16:14:18 15,949 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Keaveney permanently sounds as if he's on the verge of going Howard-Beale-out-of-Network mental live on air. Yeah, his impressions are crap and even even he admits as much, but it's always nice in the morning to hear someone who (acts like) they are having a worse life than you.
  • Dougs 3 Sep 2012 16:18:22 67,642 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Weirdly, when I went to the new forest last weekend, I listened to BBC Solent on saturday. Unlike most local BBC stations, the guy on wasnt playing vera lynn and talking about garden gnomes, he was playing some absolutely brilliant reggae, dub and ska.

It was genuinely one of the best playlists ive ever heard on the radio, covering the full spectrum. I was skanking all the way to peppa pig world.
    My mum listens to Radio Solent. It is normally as you expected, must be the one show of the week that isn't aimed at the over 60s.
  • Trafford 3 Sep 2012 16:28:40 5,791 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    He's had that job as long as Jupitass did it. Time to move on I reckon.
    With his Edinburgh festival gig, I think that's his plan.
    He makes me laugh, chundering on with his northern blarney, yet no move upto Media City for him.
  • TheSaint 3 Sep 2012 16:29:45 14,368 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Solent has a great old school feel. During their post match phone-ins they sound generally chuffed when they get a text or email from someone listening in Australia or the US.

I'm only ever down that way on match days so I'm not even sure what they have on the rest of the time.
  • Tom_Servo 3 Sep 2012 16:38:20 17,945 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Low: Jeremy Vine on Radio 2. I should listen to it and get irritated. A recent 'highlight' was his show after the Olympics opening ceremony. Cue a bunch of retired Daily Mail-reading moaning gits phoning in saying how the Queen's suffered an indignity with the bit where 'she' jumped out of a helicopter and that we shouldn't celebrate the NHS.

One of the quotes was, shit you not, "we shouldn't be celebrating an organisation that employed Harold Shipman".

I guess I used to enjoy Wossy on Radio 2, so I guess that's a high. That and footie fans flying into a rage on TalkSport every Saturday afternoon.

Edited by Tom_Servo at 16:39:06 03-09-2012
  • X201 3 Sep 2012 16:51:37 15,365 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Would never have bothered listening to Sister Rosetta Tharp if it hadn't been for Mark Lamarr on Radio 2.
  • Trafford 3 Sep 2012 16:57:27 5,791 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    To be fair Radio2 has featured some quite diverse musical programming. I remember hearing some pretty nifty Calliope organ music round at my mums one night.
  • Vortex808 3 Sep 2012 17:13:51 7,134 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    Would never have bothered listening to Sister Rosetta Tharp if it hadn't been for Mark Lamarr on Radio 2.
    Lamarr's a very good shout. I would never have actually sought him out due to the times he was on air, but I always really enjoyed his show when I caught it. You always heard something you'd never heard before and invariably actually learned some interesting stuff during it too.

Shame more shows aren't as informative while playing non-playlisted music.

Radio 2 which we tend to have on in the background at work is getting pretty shit these days with far too many of the folk I stopped listening to Radio 1 to escape.

Admittedly, mostly as stand-ins, but seriously, Chris Evans, Sara Cox and Zoe Ball? It'll be that bell-end Moyles next FFS!

I should really get a DAB radio for work I s'pose...
  • mal 3 Sep 2012 18:49:15 22,522 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    High point, probably BBC London when it still did music programming, and specifically Sean Rowley and his programme The Nearest Faraway Place. To be honest, the best radio is always after they turn the station playlist off. Even Radio 6's playlist has the unfortunate effect of making me tired of some good tunes before they're even out.

Low points: According to Mark Radcliffe, I think, Radio 1 in the early nineties was split into two camps: Steve Wright or Simon Bates, and you had to choose which camp you were in when you joined. I can't think of a more terrifying question. Also, the Radio 4 theme tune. When they tried to get rid of it the other year there was a public outcry, which I just don't understand. It's shit. It's an offence to music. It's various classical standards poorly mixed together with seeming random changes of tempo and key mixed in thoroughly. They know it's shit, which it's why it only even comes on once a day when most right-thinking people are still asleep.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• localnotail 3 Sep 2012 19:51:37 23,093 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    In my insomniac days, I would have been completely lost without the World Service, which came on after Sailing By (choon!) to keep me company and teach me more about the rest of the planet. On a similar note, From Our Own Correspondent is one of my favourite regular pieces of radio, gives a real insight into other places.

• BillMurray 3 Sep 2012 20:06:52 7,734 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    When I was last unemployed and would stay awake till the wee hours of the morning I used to love listening to the world service late at night. Always found listening to that kind of talk radio quite soothing to the ears.
  • RedSparrows 5 Sep 2012 10:18:53 22,591 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I like Sean Keavney [sic], although I do feel he's moving on in his head, a bit.

Jeremy Vine on R2 is fucking terrible, Daily Mail radio. It's terrifying/banal/painful.
  • Dougs 5 Sep 2012 11:26:36 67,642 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, I have to switch over when Vine is on. The rabid rants are too much for me. Although I love how you can tell he is playing every song through gritted teeth.

Edited by Dougs at 11:26:57 05-09-2012
  • kinky_mong 5 Sep 2012 12:24:36 10,271 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    Fuck, how could I forget Peel? Probably because I last listened to him in 93-94. Staying up late getting wasted in my dads greenhouse was definitely a highlight. His son , Tom Ravenscroft is on 6 music nowadays.
    Tom Ravenscroft is John Peel's son?! You would have thought he would have at least picked up some capability on how to present a radio show, rather than sounding like a complete amateur with no charisma whenever he covers for someone on 6Music!

On that note:

Highs

Adam & Joe on Xfm/6Music. Still the best radioshow/podcast ever that has brought me to tears from laughing so hard on many occasion.

Gervais/Merchant/Pilkington on Xfm. Again brilliantly funny.

Annie Nightingale on Radio 1 during the noughties, for being about the only person who played a show full of breaks during the genre's prime. I used to set an alarm for very early on Sunday mornings just so I could set a minidisc to record it for later.

The first week of listening to 6Music in the daytime and finally finding a station that plays great music during the day.

Lows

Every other week since of listening to 6Music in the daytime because they play the same shitty songs from the new playlist every 3 hours, and good songs seem to be a rarity. Also Shaun Keverney, Mark Radcliffe and Stuart Marconie are about as funny as a terminal illness yet think they are hilarious.

Working at a summer job where they had Heart on all day. The same 10 awful songs aimed at menopausal women (Will Young, Michael Buble, etc.) repeated every hour. Contributed to the one of the most depressing periods of my life.

95% of Radio 1 from 2000 onwards, terrible music played my immensely punchable thundercunts.

Being subjected to Capital FM when I get my haircut, the whole station seems to be dedicated to the sort of awful overly compressed pop/dance shit that soundtracks meat-market clubs and bars across the country. A station for complete fucking morons.

Edited by kinky_mong at 12:29:09 05-09-2012

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• Rusty_M 5 Sep 2012 12:44:12 4,676 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I used to love Radio 2's comedy hour on a Saturday. I miss that

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• RedSparrows 5 Sep 2012 12:47:57 22,591 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just t'other day I listened to an Adam&Joe podcast on a coach with my gf, we were trying not to laugh too loudly lest the big man in front punch us weenies. It was so stupid and fun.

On that note, I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue is gold. Jack Dee's recent 'see her [Amanda/'s] crack through the glass ceiling' had us in stitches, made all the better by the audience crying with laughter for a good minute or two.

And the 'I went out with Ed Ball's mum, Ophelia. She didn't live up to her name.'

Dumb, dirty, brilliant.

Edited by RedSparrows at 12:49:20 05-09-2012
  • Page

of 3 First / Last