Good times, bad times, with the radio on.

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • Trafford 3 Sep 2012 10:11:20 5,280 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So the radio, a great source of information, company and amusement.
    Looking back, you get some iconic times in your life framed by the voices coming out of that little box in the corner of the room.

I am wondering what your favourite and least loved stations and shows have been?

Good times:
    My mum listening to an edgy young Wogan.

Chris Evans and his heyday in the mid nineties on the Radio 1 Breakfast show.

Radio 4 Today program. John Humphrys getting his teeth into a politician.

5 Live 606. Post match prattle.

BBC 6 Music. Marc Rileys evening show, like a very cool uncle, I will be gutted if he ever gets rescheduled.

BBC6 music Freak Zone, this they have rescheduled from 6-8pm Sundays, I used to cook sunday dinner listening to it. Now I don't bother.

The Late Junction on Radio 3. Perfect eclecticism, I go to bed early to listen to this.

Theme music to Radio 4's shipping forecast theme, Sailing Away.

Radio 4 panel show, Just a Minute.

Dawn of the DAB.

Bad Times:
    Getting caught in someones car and having to listen to Radio 2, so fucking bad.

BBC6 music and their love of celebrity DJ. Jarvis Cocker, Martin Freeman, Cerys Matthews, makes me want to touch that dial.

My wifes love of Chill FM style internet radio. She even went through a stage of listening to Londons Biggest Conversation as she went to sleep. Why? ffs. We are in Manchester.

Times without a radio.

Edited by Trafford at 10:14:08 03-09-2012
  • Chopsen 3 Sep 2012 10:13:51 15,188 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cerys Matthews

I have an deep, deep resentment of that woman. I don't know why, I can't stand listening to her.
  • Rusty_M 3 Sep 2012 10:21:23 4,358 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Good times:
    Listening to radio 2
    Catching Sounds of the 60s on a Saturday morning

Bad times:
    Listening to Radio 1
    Accidentally listening to Jeremy Vine

Led Zeppelin:
    "Good times, bad times, you know I've had my share.
    When my woman left home for a brown-eyed man but I still don't seem to care. "

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• Alastair 3 Sep 2012 10:25:42 15,003 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    Chris Evans and his heyday in the mid nineties on the Radio 1 Breakfast show.
    Pretty sure I remember listening to Chris Evans on Radio 5 in about 1993.

Basically, I like 5Live Breakfast and Drive. Can't stand Stephen Nolan (or any other) phone ins

Not as nice as I used to be

• nickthegun 3 Sep 2012 10:32:44 56,071 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I worked in a place when I was in my early 20s that had radio one on all day. Its worse than commercial radio. Every DJ has the same fucking playlist, so you hear the same 5 songs every 2 hours.

The only saving grace was Mark and Lard and even then they had the temerity to quit.

So..

High: Mark and Lard 1993-2004

Low: Everything on Radio one

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Chopsen 3 Sep 2012 10:33:03 15,188 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    Can't stand ...phone ins
    Me neither. I will usually switch over when any station gets some random member of the public to phone in and talk on air. If I wanted to know what some completely unremarkable no-mark thinks then I'll go and talk to them. Without exception, they are either tediously dull or just plain stupid.

One thing I really liked about Adam and Joe on the radio is how they managed to make the show interactive with the listeners, without actually resorting to phone-ins with the listener on air.

Edited by Chopsen at 10:33:16 03-09-2012
  • nickthegun 3 Sep 2012 10:37:04 56,071 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Talk Radio is just about the only thing I listen, specifically Talk Sport. I dont think I have bothered tuning in another preset in my car for about ten years.

The only other radio station i listen to is a local station called jack FM, which is just some middle aged mans iPod on shuffle, punctuated by adverts for tiling companies.

He totally called it

• TheSaint 3 Sep 2012 10:40:51 13,658 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The only shows I ever tend to listen to are The Today Program in the mornings and then PM when I'm driving home from work.

Love a bit of Feedback (on Radio 4) and Adam and Joe on 6Music but only tend to hear them on podcasts.
  • Whizzo 3 Sep 2012 10:45:26 42,772 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Only just started having the radio on in the office as it's been far too quiet really, Absolute Classic Rock may not repeat anything during the work hours but they seem to play pretty much the same stuff every day!

Having said that Bad Moon Rising was just on so I'm happy.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Dante_Cubit 3 Sep 2012 10:45:44 1,842 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Friday Rock Show was good on R1. And Blue Jam. Most of it is unspeakably bad though.
  • Dougs 3 Sep 2012 10:46:05 64,981 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I like to have the radio on pretty much all day - especially when working from home. Flit between XFM, Absolute and R2, depending on mood/who's on.

Only real low was having the radio on when haring to the hospital to see my dad after getting "the call". Bridge over Troubled Waters. Yeah, thanks for that.
  • Dante_Cubit 3 Sep 2012 10:46:49 1,842 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Talk Radio is just about the only thing I listen, specifically Talk Sport. I dont think I have bothered tuning in another preset in my car for about ten years.

The only other radio station i listen to is a local station called jack FM, which is just some middle aged mans iPod on shuffle, punctuated by adverts for tiling companies.
    You are dead right about Jack FM but it is strangely appealing...
  • DUFFMAN5 3 Sep 2012 10:47:13 13,831 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have the radio on all the time.
    My stations of choice:
    Classic fm (from day 1 for me)

Absolute 80's. I love the 80's and would go back in a shot. I also love Matt Berry. I don't like it in the morning as it is just Absolute radio, and I don't like the DJ or Frank Skinner on Sat.

Radio 2: I used to listen to Sarah Kennedy and The gov TOG (who I love)now that they are not on there, I don't listen except for sounds of the 60's on a Sat morning.

Jack fm (Pompey) it is ok, the morning crew are funny.

Radio 5 live + any footy phone ins, I love 'em.

Gold: In the kitchen

Radio 7? was that the comedy one, I used to listen to HHH on the pc.

My first job 1988, all they used to play was Radio1, Steve Wright doing the breakfast show I think ?...I never listen to radio 1

I love music, far more than any tv show and would have it played everywhere, around the clock if I could.

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 10:48:32 03-09-2012

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• mrpon 3 Sep 2012 10:47:45 27,674 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    High: Mark and Lard 1993-2004
    Whooooooooooooooooo?!

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• RedSparrows 3 Sep 2012 10:50:22 20,765 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Radio 3, 4 and 6, and 4 & 5 extra for comedy/cricket (sometimes both).
  • boo 3 Sep 2012 10:50:55 11,604 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Good times

Radio 2 when I was growing up. Terry Wogan, Jimmy Young and the like.

Laser 558 from the mid 80's - "you're never more than 60 seconds away from the next song".

Sitting with a Binatone radio-cassette on a Sunday evening, taping the good songs from the chart rundown.

I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue on Radio 4.

Finally getting on to Ken Bruce's 'Popmaster' quiz.

Listening to the mass upheaval at Radio 1 when DLT, Simon Bates etc were ousted.

Bad times

Simon Mayo / Richard Bacon / Steve Wright / Edith Bowman / any DJ that seems to think it's more important to tell you what they did last night than shut up and play another record.

Any radio station where the DJ plays a song and then doesn't tell you what it is.

Working night shifts in the mid 90's and being forced to listen to Sarah Kennedy wittering on about her cat for two hours.

Just Another Lego Blog

• Trafford 3 Sep 2012 10:51:49 5,280 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Rusty, Remind me never to get in a car with you ;) Sounds of the 60s is pretty good, the presenter has an awesome voice.

In Our Time with Melvyn Bragg is an interesting history show.

@ Dante, Friday Rock Show with Tommy Vance- yeah loved that. Wonder if that's where the Brooklyn band TV on The Radio got their name from.

@ Duffman, I like classic FM, but prefer Radio3 mostly. I always try and catch the top 500 listeners chart over Easter weekend. It was on when my youngest was born.
  • Alastair 3 Sep 2012 10:52:06 15,003 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:

Me neither. I will usually switch over when any station gets some random member of the public to phone in and talk on air. If I wanted to know what some completely unremarkable no-mark thinks then I'll go and talk to them. Without exception, they are either tediously dull or just plain stupid.
    I tend to find myself getting increasingly cross with what the caller is saying.
    This also extends to the 606 callers on their way home from football matches. The BBC have match reporters who give a good summary of the game. Why do we need to hear from Dave, halfway down the M40?

Hence, when I realise it is phone-in time, I switch off.

• RabidChild 3 Sep 2012 10:53:14 2,283 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Good times:
    Blue Jam

Bad Times:
    The rest of R1.
  • Trafford 3 Sep 2012 10:54:13 5,280 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My first job, the radio was always set to BBC Radio Cumbria. They used to have a daily feature called the Lamb bank, where farmers could trade sheep.
  • Dougs 3 Sep 2012 10:54:49 64,981 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Aye, another phone-in hater here. Especially TalkSport. In some ways I admire them, they have a great way to rake it in from the stupid and gullible by provoking them to bother calling in. But I can't stand it.
  • Alastair 3 Sep 2012 10:56:49 15,003 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Forgot to mention - in general I like Absolute radio. Classic Rock, 80s and 90s are all good for me. Especially as there is minimal DJ input.
    I used to enjoy the podcast of the Frank Skinner show, but he seemed to be getting more and more aggressively opinionated, and I remember several times him saying that he wanted to punch so no mark celebrity and it really sounded like he meant it. Decided that I didn't want to listen to it any more...

Also
    @Boo - I remember Laser 558 from around 1985.

• disusedgenius 3 Sep 2012 10:58:24 5,151 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've discovered that I don't actually mind the DJs on Kerrang. Which is... odd.
  • roz123 3 Sep 2012 11:00:38 7,107 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    At the moment I listen to XFM in the mornings with Danny Wallace, very funny and he does a "good news" section most days and it cheers me and the gf up on the morning commute.

My favourite radio was listening to Ricky Gervais, Steve Merchant and Karl Pilkington on Sundays again on XFM. Only discovered it because it was on at the same time I was getting lifts back from guitar lessons but it was so funny we would carry on listening to it when we got back in. That had us in tears of laughter.
  • Dougs 3 Sep 2012 11:05:17 64,981 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, Gervais was ace on the XFM Breakfast Show many moons ago. As was Christian O'Connell after him. I occasionally list to OC on Absolute, and it's OK, just the same old schtick I heard 10 years ago

Edit: Or was it Tom Binns on the Breakfast Show before? May have been actually. He was very funny. Got sacked for being slightly inappropriate for the time of day

Edited by Dougs at 11:06:11 03-09-2012
  • TheSaint 3 Sep 2012 11:28:40 13,658 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gervais used to be on XFM 1-3 on Saturday afternoons if I remember correctly.
  • roz123 3 Sep 2012 11:28:43 7,107 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    O'Connell was great, I flick on to his current show every now and again but the people hes with annoy me.
    Thinking about it my bad times is my current commute home. Absolute has Geoff Lloyd who is an annoying cunt, XFM turns into ammature hour and TalkSport has Darren Gough. I'm thankfull Durhams got "The Daily Arsenal" to keep me entertained.
  • Dougs 3 Sep 2012 11:42:34 64,981 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    Gervais used to be on XFM 1-3 on Saturday afternoons if I remember correctly.
    Aye, think you're right actually.
  • nickthegun 3 Sep 2012 11:46:00 56,071 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Drive is pretty good when Durham has anyone else on other than his regular host. Goughie is a shit thick tory bastard and Wrighty was a bit of an arsehole, but when he gets quinny or ray houghton on board, its a decent listen. Even matt holland does a job.

But I turn it off when Cundy is presenting as the man is a cunt, frankly.

He totally called it

• Dougs 3 Sep 2012 11:50:09 64,981 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    roz123 wrote:
    O'Connell was great, I flick on to his current show every now and again but the people hes with annoy me.
    Thinking about it my bad times is my current commute home. Absolute has Geoff Lloyd who is an annoying cunt, XFM turns into ammature hour and TalkSport has Darren Gough. I'm thankfull Durhams got "The Daily Arsenal" to keep me entertained.
    Llyod is an annoying cunt, but every now and then they catch me unawares and I find myself actually finding some of the stuff quite funny. Normally off the cuff stuff than scripted though
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous