Tales of Graces F Page 2

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• FabricatedLunatic 7 Sep 2012 20:26:50 12,999 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm about ten hours in now. I've actually been trying not to rush through the game because I haven't enjoyed an RPG this much since Xenoblade last year, and there's not much else of interest on the horizon. But it's proving difficult :-|

santashi wrote:
    Heh! I've got another one then: "Let's search for the butt! It's the only way!"
    Okay, now you've got me curious...

On a related note, here's my favourite victory quote so far (may be spoilerish if you're less than 10 hours into the game). Those two so crazy.
  • santashi 7 Sep 2012 21:57:36 5,089 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The game arrived on Tuesday night and I think I've put about 14 hours into it so far. Went a bit mad when I had some free time on Wednesday but I've been trying to be more measured since. I want it to last but the story keeps hooking me in, along with dualising, combat and er, pretty much everything. ;)

I guessed which battle chat that would be before I clicked as I found it hilarious too. It is brilliant. :D There is a really huge variety of battle chats, actually. I'm impressed, anyway.

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• Zackv4861 8 Sep 2012 19:22:10 1,084 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Finally started playing this. FPS are pretty low but looks stunning. Not that i expected anything less
  • andywilkie35 8 Sep 2012 20:06:46 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So fucked off my PS3 broke two weeks before release. Getting a new one and this or Xmas though so should be a good day!

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• santashi 8 Sep 2012 20:34:14 5,089 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just as the wait was nearly over! That's so annoying. :( It's definitely worth it though. Will be a good Christmas for you. :)

Just went on briefly today to do a boss fight and saw the timer says over 17 hours. That is definitely longer than my estimate! I could have sworn it was 14/15. Oops. Had some lag on the boss fight too, which also surprised me.

• Zackv4861 8 Sep 2012 22:05:45 1,084 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The battles work differently from other Tales games i have played. I'm not entirely sure yet what i'm doing. So no equipping and manually using Artes?

Edited by Zackv4861 at 22:05:55 08-09-2012
  • santashi 8 Sep 2012 22:26:40 5,089 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Zackv4861 wrote:
    The battles work differently from other Tales games i have played. I'm not entirely sure yet what i'm doing. So no equipping and manually using Artes?
    Not really full battle system until adulthood. You can do the button/directional assignments, etc properly then. :)

• Zackv4861 8 Sep 2012 22:36:20 1,084 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ah ok good. Just felt weird otherwise. Cheers
  • FabricatedLunatic 9 Sep 2012 14:01:47 12,999 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Got to love Cheria's facepalm-without-the-palm face.
  • Zackv4861 9 Sep 2012 15:25:52 1,084 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've just become an adult now and the story has already sucked me in. All good so far
  • santashi 9 Sep 2012 16:48:49 5,089 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I decided to spend a while going to previously visited places and seeing what was new there and it was well worth the time. New scenes, skits, titles, side quests, items, a few discoveries I had missed earlier and even a surprise boss.

I might have to level up before I try facing said boss again though - get their health down to halfway and they go completely mental, one hit KOing party members. I'm quite pleased though since I was wondering what had happened to Bryce.

• Megapocalypse 9 Sep 2012 17:35:59 5,383 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    15 hours in and I'm still not sure I fully understand the combat. Not finding it difficult, just seem to be wildly inconsistent. 40/50 hit combos one fight, then struggling to get above 10 the next. :confused:
  • FabricatedLunatic 9 Sep 2012 18:03:36 12,999 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It tends to be like that. Long combo strings require you plus at least one other character to be attacking the same enemy. You'll perform a combo, then an AI-controlled character will continue the combo while your CC points recharge, then you keep the combo going, and so on.

EDIT: There are also advanced techniques by exploiting an enemy's weakness to increase their stun time, but it's not something I've delved too deeply into.

Edited by FabricatedLunatic at 18:13:03 09-09-2012
  • itamae 9 Sep 2012 18:42:22 9,873 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    santashi wrote:
    I might have to level up before I try facing said boss again though - get their health down to halfway and they go completely mental, one hit KOing party members. I'm quite pleased though since I was wondering what had happened to Bryce.
    He gets even harder halfway through? O_o Must remember not to return there until much later. I could hardly touch the guy when I found him shortly after the events at the desert metropolis.

Anyway, I've been playing this pretty much all weekend and have just visited the obligatory [s]hot spring[/s] battle arena. I'm having a great time, but there is this growing feeling that everything is "smaller" than Vesperia somehow. It's hard to describe why exactly but the game almost feels like a handheld title; I guess Graces can't quite hide its humble Wii roots. Also, none of the characters is quite as exceptional as Rita Mordio.
  • Zackv4861 9 Sep 2012 18:56:13 1,084 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    FabricatedLunatic wrote:
    It tends to be like that. Long combo strings require you plus at least one other character to be attacking the same enemy. You'll perform a combo, then an AI-controlled character will continue the combo while your CC points recharge, then you keep the combo going, and so on.

EDIT: There are also advanced techniques by exploiting an enemy's weakness to increase their stun time, but it's not something I've delved too deeply into.
    Yeah i like the battle system but prefer their older traditional battle system best.
  • santashi 9 Sep 2012 19:26:28 5,089 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Which game are you thinking of? As far as I can remember they've all been slightly different.

• santashi 9 Sep 2012 19:33:16 5,089 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @itamae Yep, much harder. I was thinking I could just smack him with Mystic Art but he just went crazy. I definitely need to level up before I try him again. :eek:

Hot springs, huh? I thought I'd seen swimsuit screenshots around but I'm definitely not there yet. Where I am at the moment a swimsuit would kill them. ;)

I think the lack of a big overworld map to run all over makes everything feel smaller in scale but I don't really mind that.

• FabricatedLunatic 9 Sep 2012 19:45:06 12,999 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Graces does feel smaller in scale than Vesperia, though I think that's partly because the first 15 hours or so are spent going back and forth between relatively few places. The lack of a world map probably contributes to that as well.

One thing I definitely appreciate over Vesperia is that the story is more focused; to my amazement there has been little or no technobabble so far!
  • Zackv4861 9 Sep 2012 19:49:42 1,084 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    santashi wrote:
    Which game are you thinking of? As far as I can remember they've all been slightly different.
    Oh really i'm sure Abyss and Symphonia were the same i've played two more also but can't remember the names.

Edited by Zackv4861 at 22:05:08 09-09-2012
  • itamae 9 Sep 2012 21:22:42 9,873 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    FabricatedLunatic wrote:
    One thing I definitely appreciate over Vesperia is that the story is more focused; to my amazement there has been little or no technobabble so far!
    It certainly starts with far less technobabble, but at the point I am now it's all eleth this, cryas that.

Tales Studio sure like their pseudoscience...
  • FabricatedLunatic 10 Sep 2012 09:17:22 12,999 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh man. Next you'll be telling me the plot goes on wild tangents and the game turns into a fetch-quest collectathon (like, I dunno, gathering a bunch of shit to help someone fix a door so they've you a hint about where to find a part of something else you need to collect).

Please don't tell me that
  • chrisno21 10 Sep 2012 15:36:12 1,492 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm playing it on Moderate, combat is easy until you hit any boss and then they smash me around like I'm nothing. Okay I may not be great at the combat but no challenge to FU challenge seems a little harsh.

Loving the world and am on 10 hours in.

PSN/NNID: chrisno21
    twitter: @NumbersFox

• FabricatedLunatic 10 Sep 2012 16:17:58 12,999 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The difficulty is a bit unbalanced, with some bosses hitting you like a train. I started on moderate but after scraping through the slime battle decided to move up to Hard in fields and dungeons for the extra SP and better drops, then back down to moderate for bosses. Seems to be working quite well so far.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 10 Sep 2012 16:31:24 25,565 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The bosses themselves arenít overly tough, itís the constantly spawning minions that did my head in. Makes every boss far harder than it should be.
  • santashi 10 Sep 2012 17:04:30 5,089 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Dunno, I was just doing them on moderate, but I've found the majority of the boss fights fine so far. A couple I got creamed in to start with but if I reconsidered my strategy that tended to solve the problem.

Some of you guys are probably further on and playing on a higher difficulty than me though (I never remember about difficulty settings, doh), so maybe I just haven't come across the evil (main) bosses yet...

Edit: On another note, the peach skit is seriously :eek:

Edited by santashi at 17:05:50 10-09-2012

• itamae 10 Sep 2012 17:44:55 9,873 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    FabricatedLunatic wrote:
    (like, I dunno, gathering a bunch of shit to help someone fix a door so they've you a hint about where to find a part of something else you need to collect).
    You will be pleased to hear that I had to do a mandatory OBTAIN 5 DICKBIRDHORNS TO PROCEED quest yesterday. Oh wait, you didn't want to hear that. Never mind then.

Cranking up the difficulty for random grinding sounds like a good idea by the way, I totally forgot that you can change the challenge level on the fly (even though it is an awesome feature that every RPG should have). Will probably do just that before I continue with the story, I'm running a bit short on Gald.
  • BeebleB 10 Sep 2012 18:28:33 905 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Good to see mostly positive stuff about this game as I've got it unopened in the pile waiting for my lazy ass to finish a few games before I start...

Psn - Emperorzaphod
    Steam - Emperorzaphod
    Wii U - sirzapalot

• santashi 10 Sep 2012 18:46:28 5,089 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    itamae wrote:
    FabricatedLunatic wrote:
    (like, I dunno, gathering a bunch of shit to help someone fix a door so they've you a hint about where to find a part of something else you need to collect).
    You will be pleased to hear that I had to do a mandatory OBTAIN 5 DICKBIRDHORNS TO PROCEED quest yesterday. Oh wait, you didn't want to hear that. Never mind then.

Cranking up the difficulty for random grinding sounds like a good idea by the way, I totally forgot that you can change the challenge level on the fly (even though it is an awesome feature that every RPG should have). Will probably do just that before I continue with the story, I'm running a bit short on Gald.
    I forget the actual name, but if you're constantly counting the pennies then try using the money book. It gives you extra cash after every battle. Every little helps. :D I keep spending all my money then finding I have at least 10-15k by the time the next merchant crops up.

I actually got the horns while exploring ahead so I didn't find it too bad, to be honest. Maybe I have rose-tinted specs or something, but it helps that there's a ton of the monsters around and they sometimes drop two horns a battle. :)

• itamae 10 Sep 2012 21:28:10 9,873 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well I wasn't saying that it was hard or annoying. In fact, I've just spent the last two hours running around in circles beating up monsters, and it didn't get boring at all. \o/

Currently I'm playing on hard, with Rice Omelette for XP boost after battle and Book of Dissolution for lots of free eleth. Also, I'm playing as Sophie because her fighting style suits me better than Asbel's. Damned shame that I haven't found any new costumes other than Asbel's Yuri outfit though (grrr DLC!)...
  • FabricatedLunatic 12 Sep 2012 10:12:43 12,999 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Last night I unlocked Evil difficulty. I haven't tried it out yet but I may throw caution to the wind and have a jolly good go later. Near a save point, of course.

I don't believe I have Rice Omelette in my repertoire. I would think you'd only need rice and egg to make such a dish, both of which I have, so I dunno.
  • Page

of 5 First / Last