• StarchildHypocrethes 5 Feb 2014 11:12:44 25,514 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hah, well that can get fucked then!
  • DavidBoring 5 Feb 2014 11:18:36 1,263 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    a 2 hour story campaign sure is a bit of a led down

but i am pretty sure (at least i hope) that there will be a lot of other content in the form of side missions. hopefully there will be more maps than just the one base we know from the previews
  • Trafford 5 Feb 2014 11:18:56 5,720 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's a prologue. And you'll only have a problem with the price if you're a tight fisted numpty.

I guess it's all about perspective, I spend 30 quid daily on soft drugs and sandwiches.

Edited by Trafford at 11:33:38 05-02-2014
  • CosmicFuzz 5 Feb 2014 11:38:44 23,759 posts
    Seen 20 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Think I'll probably wait until closer to Phantom Pain release and pick this up for a tenner. Really can't afford to pay 30 (40 for disc version!) just for 2 hours of gameplay. That's a shockingly poor amount of game for money!

Episode 5 of our gaming podcast Open Source is a Gamescom Special. Check it out here!

• PazJohnMitch 5 Feb 2014 11:47:59 7,962 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Trafford

Caffeine?
  • Benno 5 Feb 2014 11:55:20 9,821 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Whats all this prologue shit? can people not just release finished games any more?
  • aros 5 Feb 2014 12:07:01 2,719 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    It's a prologue. And you'll only have a problem with the price if you're a tight fisted numpty.

I guess it's all about perspective, I spend 30 quid daily on soft drugs and sandwiches.
    London :eek:
  • MadCaddy13 5 Feb 2014 12:24:08 1,870 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thank god i cancelled the pre order! I'll wait til it's about 15 quid then at most
  • Deleted user 5 February 2014 12:29:14
    -You can get it for 25 quid from a lot of places.

-2 hours was probably rushed through. I'm sure MGS could be completed in a similar time in a straight run through.
  • killersrquiet 5 Feb 2014 12:29:41 1,925 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    What a rip off, regardless of perspective its plainly wrong to charge 30 for a demo
  • fletch7100 5 Feb 2014 12:58:35 7,132 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    feeg86 wrote:
    -You can get it for 25 quid from a lot of places.

-2 hours was probably rushed through. I'm sure MGS could be completed in a similar time in a straight run through.

2 hours for the campaign mission( 5 min speed run done by internal testers). No idea how many side missions or how long they take.

GI magazine is out on IPad now if anyone wants to read it, 20 page article about MGS games and this new prologue
  • Deleted user 5 February 2014 13:09:06
    Might well be the first magazine I buy on the Ipad. I don't cling from every work Kojima says, in fact I find him quite irksome after that public branding of his staff. But I'm sure he'll come out and clarify this against the backlash this has caused.

And how many MGS fans rush through the game on the first run? I'm sure it probably does take two hours which granted, I'm a little displeased by. But I would hazard a guess that It'll take most people / fans a lot longer than that.

Edited by feeg86 at 13:11:33 05-02-2014
  • Trafford 5 Feb 2014 13:16:59 5,720 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @PazJohnMitch
    That's one of them.

On a related note, I think Vanquish, that well known 5 hour game I bought on release day, took me 15 hours to complete at my high, ham fisted leisure.
  • Trafford 5 Feb 2014 13:23:26 5,720 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    aros wrote:
    Trafford wrote:

London :eek:
    It's not about where you live, it's how you live :p
  • PazJohnMitch 5 Feb 2014 14:09:12 7,962 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Vanquish took me about 8 hours. I was perfectly happy with that.

Not a huge MGS fan to be honest. I like them but have some catching up to do. (Not played MGS4 yet despite buying it on release. Aim to replay MGS2 prior to it though which is actually the stumbling block).

Will likely play this but not for more than 10. Unfortunately MGS seems to bring out the collectors and 2nd hand games are very rare. So probably end up being a MGS5 special edition with Ground Zeroes for me.
  • Cappy 5 Feb 2014 14:20:35 11,886 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I just don't get it.

I can buy Ground Zeroes for my PS3, the 'sampler' of what's to come but I won't actually get the main course Phantom Pain, so what exactly is the point of settling for a tiny fragment in the first place?

No big deal I guess, I used to love Silent Hill, not anymore. I used to love Resident Evil, not anymore. Nowadays I've ambivalent over Metal Gear also, an extremely long generation with only the technically shonky Metal Gear Solid 4 which was far too short on playable content to start with, followed half a decade later by a fragment of game that you have to pay for.
  • RobotHobo 5 Feb 2014 14:29:18 108 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This might just be a system seller for me. I'll be getting a PS4 when there is a game I want to play and this will probably be it. I love Mgs and if I'm going to buy an expensive console I may as well buy an overpriced game/prologue/demo.
  • fletch7100 6 Feb 2014 09:18:08 7,132 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    According to HK there will be 5 side missions in the game

Twitter link

Edited by fletch7100 at 09:24:17 06-02-2014
  • CosmicFuzz 6 Feb 2014 09:50:20 23,759 posts
    Seen 20 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Cappy I think it's like the Gran Turismo prologue - as in, the game isn't going to be ready for another few years, here's something to keep your interest meantime.

I love how one of the developers has made a statement saying "but ... but .... Journey is a short game and everyone likes that!!"

Eh, Journey costs less than a fiver mate!

Episode 5 of our gaming podcast Open Source is a Gamescom Special. Check it out here!

• gelf 6 Feb 2014 12:48:33 188 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The days I took notice of reports that a game is too short are long gone. I'm happy to wait and see what the whole package is like and what the replay value is like. I was never going to rush out and buy this anyway as I'm sceptical if MGS will work in an open world.
  • mikew1985 6 Feb 2014 12:54:28 12,651 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yes, I'm usually in agreement with that argument; with the release of nearly every Platinum game comes the usual pre launch furore over the reported length (which is usually bs or inconsequential due to the type of games they make) but in this case, 2 hours seems an incredible shift to the short end of the scale.

Edited by mikew1985 at 12:56:46 06-02-2014
  • ecureuil 6 Feb 2014 13:24:24 76,657 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It never used to be an issue though.

Games are disposable now, you finish the "story" then never play it again. You can design a game for multiple playthroughs but you'd better also pad it out to 15+ hours otherwise shit like this happens.
  • MatMan562 6 Feb 2014 14:16:19 2,371 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hopefully the side ops are about 2 hours long each as well, 10 hours is much more reasonable! If not, I guess I'll have to hope for a sale before The Phantom Pain is released.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• ecureuil 6 Feb 2014 18:15:35 76,657 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I reckon this game will drop in price very quickly. 20 or less within two months imo.

Anyone on the fence should hold out.
  • PazJohnMitch 6 Feb 2014 18:58:06 7,962 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    I reckon this game will drop in price very quickly. 20 or less within two months imo.

Anyone on the fence should hold out.
    Very much doubt it based on previous MGSs. It will sell out and will not appear in 2nd hand shops due to the many collectors the franchise has.

Restocking will be very slow to maintain high prices.
  • Cappy 6 Feb 2014 19:17:26 11,886 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This situation make me think of Star Fox 64, a game which you can easily finish in one sitting, I believe that it was designed with it in mind.

The hook to encourage multiple playthroughs was that there were multiple paths, some dependent on meeting certain conditions, It would take a minimum of three playthroughs to see all the stages.

Did everybody think Star Fox was too short? I don't recall complaints of that nature, at that time games that could be finished in a couple of hours were still pretty common and with a single run through the game more than half the game was still unseen.

Does Ground Zeroes have that amount of breadth? The indications are that perhaps it doesn't, it depends on how much there is off the beaten path since the number of missions themselves seem quite small.
  • CosmicFuzz 6 Feb 2014 19:23:26 23,759 posts
    Seen 20 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think that's it exactly. Star Fox was made for multiple playthroughs, with high scores, multiplayer, etc. I doubt very much it's the case with Ground Zeroes, although I would love to be proved wrong.

Times have changed as well. Indie and arcade games often give you as much playtime as a retail title. At the very least, you're getting used to paying less than a fiver for a couple of hours of gameplay.

For me, I simply can't justify paying 30-40 for a game I know will take me 2 hours to get through. I just can't. Whether it's because I'm tight, fine, but it's simply too little game for my money. And I love Metal Gear. I'll pick it up eventually, but not at that price.

Plus - how much of that 2 hours is codec conversations?

• bobdebob 6 Feb 2014 22:08:32 580 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Metal Gear Solid 5 dev defends Ground Zeroes length

"Are Journey and Dear Esther long? [Voltaire's 18th-century writing Candide] is like a hundred pages at most," Amaro said. "Yet they are masterpieces of video game and literature. This smearing will not stain and affect what we're aiming to achieve with MGS, the game industry in Japan, or video games as a whole."
    'Masterpieces'? Even if we accept them as masterpieces, he's compared MGS to what I understand to be 'one the great achievements of Western Literature'.
  • ecureuil 6 Feb 2014 22:15:45 76,657 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Let's just play the game before judging if it's too short.

As someone mentioned earlier, Vanquish was widely criticised for being too short when it was perfectly well lengthed.
  • SolidSCB 6 Feb 2014 22:23:22 6,511 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I was expecting something similar to the tanker section from MGS2 with some bells and whistles attached in the form of side missions, sounds like that's exactly what we'll get and I'll enjoy every last scrap of it. The price can be talked about all day long, but they never lied about what we were getting for our money.
  • Page

of 11 First / Last