Are you an "old" gamer? Page 5

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Next
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 3 Sep 2012 14:21:04 6,654 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Need to be that old to afford the frickin equipment.
  • Rusty_M 3 Sep 2012 14:55:39 4,592 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pfft. You just have to save up a little bit here and there.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• Deleted user 3 September 2012 15:23:02
    Syrette wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    It is still a massive bloody waste of time and shouldn't be done to excess, but that goes to tv/cinema as well and has little to do with age.
    Can't get my head around this. How is doing something you enjoy "a massive waste of time"? What should we be doing instead of playing games and watching television? Working more than we already do? Are you just being contrary for the sake of it?

If I'm working 10-12 hours a day or whatever then going home to a good game/show/film/book is a good thing. We need that escapism.

If someone's gaming is being prioritised over their social life than perhaps they'd want to reverse that but to each his own.
    I never said there was anything wrong with it, just that it is a time dump that us almost as bad as tv. There is nothing creative, educational, constructive or beneficial at all from gaming. Unlike other hobbies/activities. Cycling/writing/painting etc. Etc. All provide something more than time filling entertainment. Again though, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it, I love gaming. It just goes back to people that do it excess really.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 3 Sep 2012 15:27:34 6,654 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    What do you get from painting. You can be creative with games in terms of strategy. Like chess etc.
  • DUFFMAN5 3 Sep 2012 15:34:12 14,437 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Syrette wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    It is still a massive bloody waste of time and shouldn't be done to excess, but that goes to tv/cinema as well and has little to do with age.
    There is nothing creative, educational, constructive or beneficial at all from gaming. .
    Are you sure ?

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• UncleLou Moderator 3 Sep 2012 15:41:32 35,432 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    40 years, and if my interest is waning a little lately, it's more because I am increasingly aware of not being the target audience rather than that I have "outgrown" games as such.

It does feel like a bigger time-waster than lots of other activities though.
  • Deleted user 3 September 2012 15:45:37
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    Syrette wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    There is nothing creative, educational, constructive or beneficial at all from gaming. .
    Are you sure ?
    Yeah. There are of course exceptions, but they are rare and do little to change the fact. Again though, this isn't a criticism, there is nothing wrong with wasting time if you are enjoying yourself! It is just an observation that you start to appreciate with 'age'.
  • TOOTR 3 Sep 2012 15:48:35 9,498 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Problem solving skills, patience, persistence, team work, imagination, hand eye coordination.

There's an argument that you can talk to someone, read what they've written etc but you only get to really get a better understanding of who they are when you play a game with them. That can be football, Monopoly or Halo Reach.

Gaming ( of which video gaming is a subset) is something all humans do to learn and bond socially as children and onwards.

/old enough to have spent time pondering and justifying it to himself ;)

I strongly believe also in time you've enjoyed wasting is not wasted time.

That said, I've been seshing the hell out of dark souls ( now officially my favourite game this gen) the last few months and , with an important interview coming up next week I'm conscious I'm procrastinating on prepping for it like a fool.

So I've canned DS until the interview prep is done ( a little bit every day) and...cough..... Trying to cut back on posting in here as well.

Tis all about balance in everything indeed.

My centre of gravity tends to be naturally lopsided towards gaming. C'est la vie.

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• Popzeus 3 Sep 2012 15:50:34 8,272 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    superdelphinus wrote:
    I'm old enough to absolutely hate the words "gaming" and "gamer" and generally the use of the word game as a verb! On the plus side I did get to experience the joys of waiting 20 minutes for treasure island dizzy to load on my cpc 464
    I'm the same with the word "videogames" - ugh.

They'll always be "computer games" to me, even on a console.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• Blakester 3 Sep 2012 15:57:05 3,580 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    As an older gamer, my challenge is generally finding a sustained period of time where I can immerse myself in a AAA game.

I bought Mass Effect 3 and was really excited to play it, but dipping in and out for 30 mins to an hour at a time just completely ruins the experience, so I end up trading it in within a few weeks. See also Skyrim.

Borderlands is probably the only game this gen that I've found benefits my lifestyle. There's virtually no plot to forget, and each half hour seems to have its own rewards.

Gone are the days of staying up until 2am to play, I'm physically not capable of keeping awake that long anymore.

Say what you want about iOS gaming, but it's perfect for working Dads and Mums.

I'll also have to think very hard about investing in the next generation of consoles.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• DUFFMAN5 3 Sep 2012 16:02:36 14,437 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    40 years, and if my interest is waning a little lately, it's more because I am increasingly aware of not being the target audience rather than that I have "outgrown" games as such.

It does feel like a bigger time-waster than lots of other activities though.
    This is probably the same as me, and the same age. I have the 3 home consoles (don't do PC) and I spend no time on the wii, no more than an hour or two a week on the ps3 and can go for days not touching the 360.

I still buy too many games, I tend to turn on the 360 see what or who is on and then turn it off again, without starting a game in anger.

I still get excited about a new big release, play it to death and then tend to have burnout for a week or so when I don't want to play anything, before I start all over again.
    I would think in the past 2 weeks I have spent under 10 hours on the 360, my gaming time tends to be very early in the morning or for an hour or so last thing.

As for the wasting time argument, I have this inner fight going on in my head all the time, the one thing I wish I had more discipline for would be to play one of my guitars and actually try and improve...but I don't, they are in the "games" room on the stands getting picked up once in a blue moon for a matter of minutes.
    I hope to rectify this with the Rocksmith bundle, two birds 1 stone ;)

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• mikew1985 3 Sep 2012 17:43:38 12,612 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Plan on carrying on for the forseeable, while I'm technically a Nes/Snes era child, my first gaming experience was an unbelieveably shit Acorn Electron.

My friend had a Nes promptly followed by a SNES - which were the real confirmation of my young self as a gamer.

The year my parents got me a NES for Christmas was the year after the SNES came out so I've experienced more generations than I might have done.

I've been a PC/console gamer since flitting bewteen the two, mainly being PC focused in the late 90's and switching to consoles in the PS2 - GC era, switching back to PC, then to 360 and now back to PC again.

The one thing that remains the same is that I love games.
  • bobmar360 4 Sep 2012 17:30:54 883 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    jamesongkok wrote:
    There's nothing wrong with it as long as you only play during spare time and you don't forget to take care of yourself and your family. Once a gamer, always a gamer.
    Never realised this till I became a dad -> sorry wife!
  • Deleted user 5 September 2012 07:40:36
    I'm 23 and I've been playing video games since I was 4 years-old. The first game being Donkey Kong Country on the SNES, a game I still love today.

So that's almost 20 years of gaming. That sort of counts as old, by video game standards anyway.
  • superdelphinus 5 Sep 2012 08:55:24 8,035 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Popzeus I hear you brother
  • superdelphinus 5 Sep 2012 08:57:52 8,035 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah the time thing is the problem for me, along with not really being in tune with myself about which games I really like.

When I was younger (33 now) I used to love big long epic games, and I think I still do. The trouble is now that I keep buying them but never finishing any of them. Mass effect, skyrim
  • Deleted user 5 September 2012 08:59:29
    Same here. Had to abandoned both skyrim and mass effect 3,both games that a few years ago would have dominated my free time. And I'm only 25!
  • superdelphinus 5 Sep 2012 09:01:49 8,035 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah the time thing is the problem for me, along with not really being in tune with myself about which games I really like.

When I was younger (33 now) I used to love big long epic games, and I think I still do. The trouble is now that I keep buying them but never finishing any of them. Mass effect, skyrim, rdr, fallout etc. bought them all - not got more than half way in a single one of them.

The only game I really play now is f1 and that is because I race in the eurogamer championship. I think I now use them to satisfy a competitive urge, the other outlets of which have diminished with age (I used to play football and tennis pretty competitively for example). That need for escapism has diminished with growing older and the more interesting real life that comes along with that. I still buy those other games, but simply don't have the time for them.
  • chrisno21 5 Sep 2012 14:31:59 1,471 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm 31 and it's still my number 1 hobby. Having a 2-year old means I barely get any time at all for this hobby, but I still love it all the same.

I enjoy a good long game but something like Xenoblade/skyrim took me 4 months of solid (free)time, in my early 20s I'd have blasted both in a few weeks.

Edited by chrisno21 at 14:32:15 05-09-2012

PSN/NNID: chrisno21
    twitter: @NumbersFox

• lexxx 5 Sep 2012 14:49:51 164 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm 38, suppose that means I'm an old gamer... but I never really thought about it like that, but I do agree with what people have said about time pressures and other interests.

If there is anything I feel left behind over, it's online gaming (as opposed to single player, I mean, not the move from physical to digital delivery, which doesn't bother me in the slightest). I want a solid single player campaign that I can get through in my own time.
  • Deleted user 5 September 2012 15:29:12
    31 and unless a game is exceptional then I rarely can get past 1 hour in. Over time my interest in the quality of the story and the skill with it is told has increased, game developers haven't improved though. They still write for teens and adults that like explosions with the story told in a clunky (any RPG with characters stood stationary and talking at each other) or frustratingly non interactive way (Max Payne).

Gameplay hasn't improved or changed in the last 10 years so that's of no new interest. Every game just feels too familiar and hollow now.
  • AceGrace 5 Sep 2012 15:32:39 1,040 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    42 here. I don't game quite so much what with 2 kids taking up a lot of time. I play more 8 bit stuff now that new releases.

/I remember when all this was just playfields (and sprites) etc..
  • dr_swin 5 Sep 2012 15:41:30 4,867 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm 38 and have grown up with videogames. The scene is a bit flat at the moment and badly in need of something to pep it up. I find myself increasingly replaying old favourites or remakes rather than playing new games.

Although I am grateful for having experienced the 8 bit era. I wish I had had the opportunity to experience online gaming when I was a bit younger and had more time on my hands. I can only imagine what playing something like Halo or Gears or Left 4 Dead would have been like as a teenager with loads of time on my hands. (probably would have failed all my exams!)
  • Goban 7 Sep 2012 10:42:40 9,051 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Blakester wrote:
    As an older gamer, my challenge is generally finding a sustained period of time where I can immerse myself in a AAA game.

I bought Mass Effect 3 and was really excited to play it, but dipping in and out for 30 mins to an hour at a time just completely ruins the experience, so I end up trading it in within a few weeks. See also Skyrim.

Borderlands is probably the only game this gen that I've found benefits my lifestyle. There's virtually no plot to forget, and each half hour seems to have its own rewards.

Gone are the days of staying up until 2am to play, I'm physically not capable of keeping awake that long anymore.

Say what you want about iOS gaming, but it's perfect for working Dads and Mums.

I'll also have to think very hard about investing in the next generation of consoles.
    That pretty much sums me up, although I really do struggle iOS games.

I've come to a point where I play so little that its not really a major hobby any more. A real shame because I do love it.

I don't really blame the games either, loads of great stuff out there, they just seem fairly incompatible with my life at the moment.

Here's hoping Borderlands will give me the boot up the backside the way it did last time.

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Next