Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII Page 2

• Page

of 10 First / Last

• Folant 20 Dec 2012 23:36:21 1,181 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    13-2 is better than XIII in the fact that it's a little more open, there's are towns populated by other people, with shops in them. That seemed to be a main gripe people had with XIII, so it has to be better, right?

More of the same though, because the battle system is the main star(unless you're a chump who spams auto-battle), so Definately worth the 10 or so it tragically goes for these days.

Not impressed with the new trailer.

Final Devil Assassin's Fantasy Creed May Cry.

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• Daryoon 21 Dec 2012 00:08:56 4,630 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    XIII-2 is pretty awful. Take Chrono Trigger, drain away all the charm, and run it through a room of marketing men. Throw in a poorly implemented monster-catching system (done far better in games with far less budget), and a fanfic plot worse than Advent Children's, and there you go.

For a more concrete example, consider their attempt to please fans by adding a Gold Saucer style area, Chocobo racing and a Colosseum. Only, unlike the Gold Saucer, there are no fun mini games, just a generic slot machine; the Chocobo racing lacks any of the raising/breeding elements and none of the rewards; and the Colosseum is...empty. Unless you buy a mere handful of DLC monsters.

You can also pay for a POKER game, complete with awful AI, and some other weird clock-based card game. Generic cards that is. No Triple Triad here.

It's like a hollow shell of what FF games used to be.

(and since that applies to FFXIII as well, I don't have much faith in this third game either - oh Square, where did it all go wrong?)

Edited by Daryoon at 00:10:02 21-12-2012
  • Ror1984 28 Sep 2013 00:07:15 3,374 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Anyone else played this yet at the Expo? I had a crack today and quite enjoyed it. The battle system feels very much like a natural evolution of the previous XIII system, though the stagger wave mechanic is a little weirdly communicated in this.

It was a short demo featuring a handful of battles, a little traversal and a boss fight against that dragon thing summoned by Lumina that we've seen in trailers. It looked pretty nice too, better than I remember XIII-2 looking (I did feel that that game was a bit of a visual downgrade from XIII though).

I recorded a mate playing the same demo, so I might try and get that on YouTube tomorrow if anyone's interested, though it's likely nothing you haven't seen before.

FFXIV: ARR - Khroma Midgard, Odin.

• Scimarad 28 Sep 2013 04:32:29 8,549 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The time limit puts me right off this. It sounds very appealing, other than that.

I think FFXIII-2 is probably my favourite JRPG of recent years, not there is a lot of competition.
  • Ror1984 29 Sep 2013 12:36:33 3,374 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Here's the vid I mentioned:

There's no sound as the demo pods had headphones, but you can get a good look at the whole demo and the tutorials it contained.

• Widge Moderator 30 Sep 2013 16:11:02 13,593 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Article on the front page mentioned that this was rather promising. Hope it works well without needing FFXIII-2 there.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Ror1984 30 Sep 2013 17:07:30 3,374 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dualshockers have put my video up :D

I've bashed out a few words if anyone's interested.

• elstoof 30 Sep 2013 17:08:47 7,373 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is this anything like Majora's Mask then?
  • Ror1984 30 Sep 2013 17:10:23 3,374 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Honestly, the demo was too short to be able to get a feel for the time management stuff. I saw a counter on the screen but didn't really pay it any attention. It feels very similar to the previous games, except with a single battle character and some very light traversal. I doubt it'll convert anyone that didn't enjoy the previous two.

• nickthegun 30 Sep 2013 17:12:34 59,945 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I didnt really like the demo and the loading was ridiculous.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Ror1984 30 Sep 2013 17:14:51 3,374 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The loading times were pretty awful, yeah. I edited out almost forty seconds of loading at the start of that video.

• nickthegun 30 Sep 2013 17:17:09 59,945 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Loading in and out of each encounter was the biggest sin for me. They arent exactly infrequent, so having each battle bookended by a tedious load screen wasnt exactly selling it to me.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Ror1984 30 Sep 2013 17:31:55 3,374 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It was pretty quick to get into a battle, but the loading coming out of them was a bit too much. Hopefully they'll improve that for release.

• ilmaestro 22 Nov 2013 10:44:28 32,453 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The exciting theme that came free with my PSN preorder (along with the Cloud outfit):

• elvenscroll 23 Nov 2013 19:34:14 1,409 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nice. I have the steel book ordered from Game. I'm quite looking forward to it but it's a shame it's not playable on the PS4. This is the only 'current gen' title I have on preorder.

NNID/PSN - Chipworm

• Ror1984 11 Dec 2013 16:06:07 3,374 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Collectors Edition for NA

Anyone seen any mention of an EU release for it?

• uiruki 11 Dec 2013 16:15:43 3,704 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've played about two hours of this and the best description I can give is "weird".
  • Ror1984 11 Dec 2013 16:16:31 3,374 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    In terms of story or mechanics?

Or just in every way?

• uiruki 11 Dec 2013 16:22:30 3,704 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    In pretty much every way. The way it deals with 13-2's ending, your goals in the game, the way you wander around, the dress spheres, the combat. It's all just so odd. Even the music is off-key compared to the earlier games.
  • Ror1984 11 Dec 2013 16:32:24 3,374 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sounds a bit messy. Though to be fair, the storyline was already a mess between XIII and XIII-2, and this looks further disconnected from what little video I've seen.

Hamauzu also had nothing to do with the OST as far as I'm aware.

I enjoyed the short demo I played, but that was mostly battling in a confined space, so I don't really know what to expect from the full game.

• uiruki 11 Dec 2013 16:55:39 3,704 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It feels very experimental, more so than FF usually is - that's something for a series which messes about with mechanics constantly. I'll have to play more to work out what I actually think of it though. Unfortunately I'm playing too much Sen no Kiseki to be doing a lot of that!
  • Wavey 11 Dec 2013 17:26:21 377 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've listened to the whole ost on youtube, and it has some very nice tracks, so I am not too worried about that. I'm hoping its good. I am going to buy this whatever happens because I have invested too much into the story now to not see a payoff. And I remember playing X-2 when I was younger and loving the campiness of it so :D

Edited by Wavey at 17:29:24 11-12-2013
  • Ror1984 11 Dec 2013 17:51:22 3,374 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oh yeah, if the LE gets released here I'll buy that. Probably the OST too. I can't help myself, I am weak.

Also, I have the LE's for the other two games (both signed) and both soundtracks (with XIII's signed by Hamauzu), so it'd be a shame not to complete the set :D

Thanks for the impressions, uiruki. I'd definitely be interested in hearing more if/when you play it again.

• xuiton 27 Jan 2014 18:11:43 297 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    SO played the demo and I admit I kind of liked it.

burnt out by FF though so will wait until it is 5 used somewhere like I did with 13-2.

do not like the fact that there is a time limit on the game yet appears to be open world.

gfx look worse than 13 which is strange.
  • chrisno21 27 Jan 2014 19:34:10 1,510 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    No party system, a time-limit and in the demo at least there was no experience. Just keep changing outfits until they die. It was okay but it's a bit too far from the JRPG FF that I'm pining for.

PSN/NNID: chrisno21
    twitter: @NumbersFox

• SomaticSense 27 Jan 2014 20:18:38 8,337 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's kind of the problem I've had with a lot of the recent JRPGs which have tried to 'modernise' their combat systems.

They try a mix of real-time and turn-based combat, trying for a perfect combination of the excitement of real-time with the strategy of turn-based. In reality though, we get the slow pace and menu scrolling of turn-based systems, with none of the fluidity or responsiveness of proper real-time action games like DMC or Ninja Gaiden.

Please future JRPG devs, go for strategy or action. No more of this awkward mishmash of both, which never really satisfies remotely as much as a focused approach.
  • bbvDJC 27 Jan 2014 21:04:16 1,720 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    It's kind of the problem I've had with a lot of the recent JRPGs which have tried to 'modernise' their combat systems.

They try a mix of real-time and turn-based combat, trying for a perfect combination of the excitement of real-time with the strategy of turn-based. In reality though, we get the slow pace and menu scrolling of turn-based systems, with none of the fluidity or responsiveness of proper real-time action games like DMC or Ninja Gaiden.

Please future JRPG devs, go for strategy or action. No more of this awkward mishmash of both, which never really satisfies remotely as much as a focused approach.
    Agreed.

I think I like FFXs battle system the most!
  • chrisno21 28 Jan 2014 09:33:05 1,510 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Pre-ordered. Damn this compulsion to have a new game in a new-game drought.

PSN/NNID: chrisno21
    twitter: @NumbersFox

• uiruki 28 Jan 2014 10:24:21 3,704 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I was going to try and get back into this last night, but I picked up Tearaway on Vita instead. Try again tonight I suppose!
  • Steve_Perry 28 Jan 2014 10:46:56 4,266 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Been playing 13-2 which is loads better than the first one. The story is a complete joke though. I have absolutely no idea what is going on, they just keep talking about time and the past and future and paradoxes and alternate timelines and fragments and artefacts. Probably the most confusing story in the entire franchise so far. The game is great though, love the open structure of the levels and the combat. Crystarium is a bit shit but I've never liked it in any FF game.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Page

of 10 First / Last