Fringe Season 5 **US Pace** Page 3

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• TOOTR 20 Jan 2013 15:00:38 9,473 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    I liked it. Once I got through the first season, which started off very pants,

That's putting it mildly - it was bloody horrific. I only perservered beacuse Bob and Buz swore it got better.

Which it did. But man. I want those HOURS back!

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• BinaryBob101 20 Jan 2013 15:48:36 21,983 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    TOOTR, I think you're judging Fringe a little harshly. I can't think of another TV sci-fi show that has been willing to take risks like this show has. It has gone in some bat shit crazy directions over the years, not all of them successful, but most of them entertaining at the very least.

Maybe it's because you've watched them in blocks, never having the worry of whether or not the next season will get a greenlight? Maybe that's why some of us have invested a bit more? I dunno, for me it was one of the best finales of all time and a real emotional rollercoaster. John Noble deserves all awards going.

I honestly don't know how it could have been any better.

Edited by BinaryBob101 at 19:06:59 20-01-2013

Goose fat is sponsored by:

Lens Flare

• oceanmotion 20 Jan 2013 16:05:28 15,275 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Great finale, such perfect moments between characters, so fitting.

Only bit I thought was strange was Walter taking Donalds place, surely that would have been the other way to begin with, regardless of Donalds sudden father son feelings.

Oliva should have done something cooler at the end, was building up to something great and a really angry super power like tearing him apart or blowing him away into tiny pieces.

Overall, thought they nailed it and love the series and characters. Will miss them.
  • Scimarad 20 Jan 2013 18:19:40 8,501 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So, did anyone ever explain how jumping into the future after the Observers had already conquered the world could still lead to orginal future where Observers where first created? Made no sense at all to me.
  • nickthegun 20 Jan 2013 19:13:19 56,081 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And how peter is still alive when an observer rescued him from the lake when he was a boy.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Scimarad 20 Jan 2013 19:43:10 8,501 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not to mention that fact that the only reason Walter crossed universes to kidnap Peter in the first place was because September distracted Walternate from noticing his cure worked. Remove September and Walternate cures Peter and he grows up 'over there'.
  • oceanmotion 20 Jan 2013 19:46:30 15,275 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Scimarad wrote:
    So, did anyone ever explain how jumping into the future after the Observers had already conquered the world could still lead to orginal future where Observers where first created? Made no sense at all to me.
    Walter disappears at the point in the park just before the Observers turn up when Peter and Olivia are relaxing with their daughter not the hostile future the series took place in. Walter changes the future so the Observer outcome never happens in that timeline from that specific point in the park. The paradox he was implying.
  • neilka 20 Jan 2013 19:47:01 14,978 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Probably best not to think about it too much.
  • oceanmotion 20 Jan 2013 20:02:39 15,275 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago

I noticed the Clinton headline but few others on close inspection.

"Warner Bros. announces remake of Harry Potter."

"Detroit voted safest city in America"

They didn't really try that hard to make them look old in the alternate verse. I thought, oh she is pregnant at first or was she badly dressed or fat. Not sure. Get the grey spray can out.
  • Scimarad 20 Jan 2013 22:22:03 8,501 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Scimarad wrote:
    Walter disappears at the point in the park just before the Observers turn up when Peter and Olivia are relaxing with their daughter not the hostile future the series took place in. Walter changes the future so the Observer outcome never happens in that timeline from that specific point in the park. The paradox he was implying.
    I understand that's what they said but I don't remotely follow the reasoning for how the plan worked, let alone that the result is Walter disappearing in 2015. I can see that the Observers not existing might cause a paradox but not why they singled out that one thing as being a paradox, other than that they wanted a sacrifice that fit the theme. Still, it's a bit late for Fringe to start making sense at this late stage.

Still, as has already been mentioned, best not to think about it:)

/speculates further

Edited by Scimarad at 22:23:50 20-01-2013
  • Psychotext 20 Jan 2013 22:25:59 52,825 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    They didn't really try that hard to make them look old in the alternate verse. I thought, oh she is pregnant at first or was she badly dressed or fat. Not sure. Get the grey spray can out.
    I don't know what it says about me, but I thought the older version looked far hotter.
  • Psychotext 20 Jan 2013 22:27:30 52,825 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh, and the whole story would be screwed anyway because without an observer stepping in, Peter would have drowned.

/shugs

Time travel be fucked up
  • oceanmotion 20 Jan 2013 23:08:07 15,275 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    oceanmotion wrote:
    I don't know what it says about me, but I thought the older version looked far hotter.
    I think it's more a personality thing that makes her more attractive.

Time travel is just a mess to begin with. I can quite happily leave it to the side with a loose theory. Makes enough sense for me to be happy with it.
  • Charlie_Miso 21 Jan 2013 04:59:39 1,191 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Now I know how those folks who hated the LOST finale felt.
  • BinaryBob101 21 Jan 2013 11:48:25 21,983 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Nah, it was much better than the Lost finale.

Goose fat is sponsored by:

Lens Flare

• Scimarad 21 Jan 2013 11:55:38 8,501 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I also don't think the finale was as critical as the Lost one. Fringe didn't really have any hanging story threads as stuff like the alternate universe had already been sorted out. Not that I'm trying to trivialize the character resolutions but most of the plot stuff resolved (and I use that term loosely) by season 5 had been introduced by season 5 or that one 'flash forward' ep in season 4.
  • Ultrasoundwave 21 Jan 2013 11:58:46 3,118 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Definitely felt a bit rushed towards the end.

Definitely had a few "something in my eye" moments though, especially when Walter and Peter said their goodbyes. Seeing Jean again was very touching too.

It all fell apart towards the end though. The whole "Walter must sacrifice himself - NO! - Donald will now sacrifice himself, dont worry about it - HANG ON! - Donalds been shot, so lets go back to plan A" was a bit unnecessary.

It struck me as being something that could be been played out for a huge emotional final impact, but there was a breakdown somewhere between the concept of the scene and the execution of it.

Definitely going to miss this show now its gone though.

"Look at banner Michael!"

• Darren 21 Jan 2013 14:51:41 8,326 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I must admit that I didn't quite grasp how Walter taking the boy to 2167 reset time and eliminated the Observers when I sat down and thought about it over the weekend. My original thinking was that 2167 should have been a future where the Observers had already been there for 152 years. However, the device Walter used to travel to 2167 was built by the Observers and we already know how they can step between different realities, even change things while still being aware of all possible outcomes, so I guess Walter and Michael jumped to a time when the Observers had not invaded in 2015; a future that stemmed from the original 2015 not the one where the Observers invaded. That is supported by the fact that the Observers were moving things from 2036 without changing their own future (it would create a paradox otherwise since their future would become one were they'd been around since 2015 with plenty of resources and therefore would have no need to invade the past).

Very confusing to explain really but it kind of makes sense to me. I'm guessing the paradox Walter was referring to when resetting time was where he would exist as the same person in both (the reset) 2015 and 2167. It does beg the question though, given the somewhat rushed ending, of whether Olivia and Peter were aware of the alternate future that had occurred and what they thought had happened to Walter (did he disappear from their perspectives?).

One thing that doesn't quite make sense is that if the bad Observers were eradicated from history and replaced with good ones (with both intellect and emotions) then who saved Peter from drowning the lake? Donald/September explained that he and 11 other Observers were sent on a mission which they had no idea was the prelude to the invasion. So if the bad Observers never existed then there would have been no need for September and the others to have been sent back and, thus, there wouldn't have been anyone to rescue Peter. Or maybe the Observers not being around meant that Walter was not distracted by September and he, therefore, noticed the cure for Peter and he saved his original son?

Time travel alone is confusing enough but add in alternate universes where people have led different lives (did anyone else think it was a bit corny that Michael gave Walter all his original memories back?) and I guess it is best not to scrutinize it too closely.

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Scimarad 21 Jan 2013 15:01:13 8,501 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, the same thing occurred to me this morning. The only thing that makes sense is that the Observers invaded from a parallel timeline and it's that future they were jumping to in order to undo their creation. It still doesn't make sense that you know who just disappears in 2015, though.
  • nickthegun 21 Jan 2013 15:04:07 56,081 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Everything important had been resolved by the end of season 4, so this was another Babylon 5 season 5 and as such can never be as big a disappointment as the lost finale.

Even though it was probably a season too far, as everything had been wrapped up in a neat little bow, I really enjoyed it and the finale was pretty good. The lack of budget showed (final showdown in the dark, with smoke grenades = no extras) but on the whole it was decent. I liked the horror show montage in the observer HQ, the ‘because its cool’ made me lol and everyone got a nod so it did the job although, funnily enough, the story was of such scope it actually needed a full season.

So, yeah, it was a decent send off but S5 was a bonus season anyway.

He totally called it

• Scimarad 21 Jan 2013 15:05:02 8,501 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    At least there weren't a load of hippy telepaths you wanted to slap:)
  • nickthegun 21 Jan 2013 15:15:01 56,081 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ugh, dont remind me.

'Byron is dead..'

/fistpump

He totally called it

• Scimarad 21 Jan 2013 15:24:38 8,501 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @nickthegun

That guy does tons of voice acting and I still do an involuntary cringe when I read his name.

He was the irritating twat in Riften (Skyrim) who asks you to frame the guy in order to join the thieves guild. I wondered why I hated that guy so much...
  • Ultrasoundwave 21 Jan 2013 15:25:10 3,118 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Going to miss seeing this every week :

:cry:

"Look at banner Michael!"

• Darren 21 Jan 2013 15:26:03 8,326 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Everything important had been resolved by the end of season 4, so this was another Babylon 5 season 5 and as such can never be as big a disappointment as the lost finale.
    I guess that is true because they'd already explained who the Observers were by the end of season 4 and the series would still have worked and felt complete even without the whole invasion storyline from season 5. In fact, in some ways the series might have been better as the whole saying goodbye to the alternate universe was a great closure to the whole series at that point and they could have just killed off William Bell instead of letting him escape. They would then have had an extra episode to wrap the characters up since they wouldn't have had to introduce the premise for season 5. While I enjoyed season 5, at 14 episodes rather than 22, it definitely felt a bit rushed IMO.

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• varsas 24 Jan 2013 11:31:42 2,373 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Great finale, such perfect moments between characters, so fitting.

Overall, thought they nailed it and love the series and characters. Will miss them.
    These are my sentiments. I thought they pitched it just right.
  • Buztafen 24 Jan 2013 12:28:57 15,957 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:

Crikey.
  • Roddles 15 Feb 2013 17:00:03 1,447 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    FRINGE: SEPTEMBER'S NOTEBOOK – THE BISHOP PARADOX

Out next month. Totally getting that.

Edited by Roddles at 17:00:15 15-02-2013
  • Razz 15 Feb 2013 17:02:10 60,045 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:

For people getting a 403:
    http://www.allstarpics.net/0307757/015190292/anna-torv-esquire-magazine-pic.html

Edited by Razz at 17:02:35 15-02-2013

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• riceNpea 15 Feb 2013 17:14:51 592 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Razz

that.is.amazing.

i'll miss that lopsided smile of hers as much as i'll miss the show. i learned not to question the time paradoxes to much as it spoilt my viewing but i took comfort in the fact that quantum physics proves that an electron actually travels backwards in time (amongst other wonderful and equally mind blowing properties)

Edited by riceNpea at 17:16:35 15-02-2013
  • Page

of 4 First / Last