Windows Phone 8 Page 11

  • Page

    of 51 First / Last

  • mcmonkeyplc 21 Sep 2012 16:13:11 39,384 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nah that happened in May, this is a full 2 months earlier! :)

    Come and get it cumslingers!

  • Psychotext 22 Sep 2012 22:25:30 53,775 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lumia 920 super sensitive touch vs GS3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzN2t8oc5us&sns=em
  • anon_ 24 Sep 2012 11:37:34 211 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Been undecided between the Lumia 920 and the Ativ S, but reckon I'll be going with the Lumia because of:

    a) its market-leading camera,
    b) its form factor, which bears closest resemblance to the utterly gorgeous Lumia 800, and
    c) Nokia's native apps, which are significantly better than the other Windows Phone OEM's

    Only reservation I have is the screen size, which at 4.5", is a bit big for my liking. Would prefer closer to the 800's size..
  • CharlieStCloud 24 Sep 2012 11:45:45 5,016 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    anon_ wrote:
    Only reservation I have is the screen size, which at 4.5", is a bit big for my liking. Would prefer closer to the 800's size..
    I really, really, really wish the Lumia 820 had the same size screen as the Lumia 800 and the Lumia 920 had the same screen as the Lumia 920 ... a bit of a shame that Nokia went into designing their new phones and thought, 'bigger = better!'
  • Peew971 24 Sep 2012 15:19:41 4,702 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Didn't HTC conduct surveys last year that concluded people wanted bigger screens? Pretty sure I read that somewhere.
  • Deleted user 26 September 2012 18:37:51
    http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/26/lumia-920-low-light-shootout/

    Camera comparisons. 920 and ip5 come out at top with 920 nudging it. While S3 comes out laughably bad.
  • Psychotext 26 Sep 2012 22:55:18 53,775 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd say that slightly more than nudged it. But admittedly the 5 did a better job than I would have expected it to.

    Seems a bit silly that they didn't activate the night modes on any of them though.
  • anon_ 27 Sep 2012 10:54:41 211 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sneak peek of near-finished build.
  • Psychotext 27 Sep 2012 11:34:35 53,775 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anything particularly nice in there?
  • Tricky 27 Sep 2012 13:01:56 4,354 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Not really. They still suspect that there's more that Microsoft haven't included in the SDK, but what the hell it could be, no one really knows.
  • mikew1985 27 Sep 2012 15:30:42 12,584 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If the W8 app store takes off WP8 could be useful but if its as inactive and poor as WP7 it won't be worth getting excited about.

    Wp7 is really nice and slick but the notifications for anything outside bog standard email and texts just don't work. Whatsapp is a mess and has some weird bug with the media app. Facebook for Wp7 is painfully slow and again notifications intermittently work.

    If I were a social media whore I'd have binned it long ago.

    The actual browsing seems much slower than on my old android device, not the fluidity of the interface but rather the speed of loading web pages etc.

    WP8 has a LOT of work to do to be a proper contender imo. Nokia certainly nailed the hardware but thats not enough for me to stick to WP environment next time, they'll need to show more.
  • oceanmotion 27 Sep 2012 15:53:31 15,641 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Some pricing released

    Prices are a little different in certain areas.

    Nokia Germany
    Lumia 920 at 649 euros
    Lumia 820 at 499 euros

    No UK prices yet.

    Best keeping in mind the 920 has 32GB.
  • Psychotext 27 Sep 2012 16:36:31 53,775 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    If the W8 app store takes off WP8 could be useful but if its as inactive and poor as WP7 it won't be worth getting excited about.
    I would be very, very surprised if the Windows 8 app store doesn't take off. It'll be on millions of machines in no time.
  • Tricky 27 Sep 2012 16:53:43 4,354 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Also, haven't they confirmed that one of the major changes with WP8 is better notification systems?

    Like mike says, I'm holding off to see what the consensus is on actual honest-to-goodness phones with final OS loaded before I plump for one, but it's currently preventing me from getting an iPhone 5 or Samsung GS3, so they've obviously done something right so far.
  • Derblington 27 Sep 2012 17:14:02 21,261 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I actually really like the look of the Lumia 920 but there's really no chance of me getting one when I run a Mac at home - the iPhone xp is too complete when you sync it all together.

    Might see if the gf will get one so that I can have a play.
  • mcmonkeyplc 27 Sep 2012 17:26:42 39,384 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm waiting till March. Just so you know.

    Come and get it cumslingers!

  • mikew1985 27 Sep 2012 17:28:53 12,584 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    mikew1985 wrote:
    If the W8 app store takes off WP8 could be useful but if its as inactive and poor as WP7 it won't be worth getting excited about.
    I would be very, very surprised if the Windows 8 app store doesn't take off. It'll be on millions of machines in no time.
    Sure, it seems highly unlikely it will be as poor as WP7, im just a little apprehensive as to how exactly the cross compatible apps are going to work in practice.

    especially given that a lot of the hardware manufacturers are going with traditional intel based tablets rather than RT. I've no doubt the marketplace will be more robust but I'm not entirely convinced by the platform yet (though I really want either a Surface pro or similar W8 tablet so badly)
  • oceanmotion 27 Sep 2012 17:29:19 15,641 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I wonder how the new client will be across Windows and Mac since Zune is getting the boot, software included for WP8 syncing.

    October is going to be a busy month for MS. They have a shit load of stuff to finalise for the masses.
  • mikew1985 27 Sep 2012 17:33:49 12,584 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yea, I'm really interested to see how it all links together, it has the potential to be absolutely perfect for me personally but it all depends on how MS tie it all together.

    I know its a bit harsh but I'm also kind of pissed off that my Lumia 800 is pretty much dead in the water because the phones aren't getting software upgrades to WP8.
  • oceanmotion 27 Sep 2012 17:36:17 15,641 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:
    mikew1985 wrote:
    If the W8 app store takes off WP8 could be useful but if its as inactive and poor as WP7 it won't be worth getting excited about.
    I would be very, very surprised if the Windows 8 app store doesn't take off. It'll be on millions of machines in no time.
    Sure, it seems highly unlikely it will be as poor as WP7, im just a little apprehensive as to how exactly the cross compatible apps are going to work in practice.

    especially given that a lot of the hardware manufacturers are going with traditional intel based tablets rather than RT. I've no doubt the marketplace will be more robust but I'm not entirely convinced by the platform yet (though I really want either a Surface pro or similar W8 tablet so badly)
    If you make a Metro app, it works on either without any fuss apparently.

    Another big reason why the app store will explode. RT or Windows 8 or WP8, hundreds of million devices that accept the same apps.
  • oceanmotion 27 Sep 2012 17:41:32 15,641 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    Yea, I'm really interested to see how it all links together, it has the potential to be absolutely perfect for me personally but it all depends on how MS tie it all together.

    I know its a bit harsh but I'm also kind of pissed off that my Lumia 800 is pretty much dead in the water because the phones aren't getting software upgrades to WP8.
    I'm hoping we at least get IE10, more than a friggin new start screen at least. Nokia seem good with the apps and stuff. Even put proper Bluetooth in there I think. Nicest beta I've been in MS, you cunts.

    I might just drag out my WP7 to the devices after the new ones unless a great deal comes along. Does what I need really.
  • mikew1985 27 Sep 2012 17:45:56 12,584 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    mikew1985 wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:
    mikew1985 wrote:
    If the W8 app store takes off WP8 could be useful but if its as inactive and poor as WP7 it won't be worth getting excited about.
    I would be very, very surprised if the Windows 8 app store doesn't take off. It'll be on millions of machines in no time.
    Sure, it seems highly unlikely it will be as poor as WP7, im just a little apprehensive as to how exactly the cross compatible apps are going to work in practice.

    especially given that a lot of the hardware manufacturers are going with traditional intel based tablets rather than RT. I've no doubt the marketplace will be more robust but I'm not entirely convinced by the platform yet (though I really want either a Surface pro or similar W8 tablet so badly)
    If you make a Metro app, it works on either without any fuss apparently.

    Another big reason why the app store will explode. RT or Windows 8 or WP8, hundreds of million devices that accept the same apps.
    I'm aware of that, I'm just not sure quite how that will work in practice. Does it mean every developer has to design EVERY app to be scalable to three differnet device types? Will functionality change? If all apps have to be compatible across all metro devices then metro will be totally fucking useless for the more powerful tablets and nobody will be bothered using it as the apps will be hamstrung by the lower specs of the phones.

    Edit: Not to mention the increased development and design consideration that will be needed to make an app that works on PC's, tablets and phones.

    Edited by mikew1985 at 17:47:40 27-09-2012
  • Deleted user 27 September 2012 17:46:13
    oceanmotion wrote:

    Another big reason why the app store will explode. RT or Windows 8 or WP8, hundreds of million devices that accept the same apps.
    Except, of course, the interface needs to be 100% different for it to be usable so the benefit is virtually zero.
  • oceanmotion 27 Sep 2012 17:58:25 15,641 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Time will tell. Probably not straight forward but they done it for a reason. Wait and see what the devs come up with and hear their feedback.

    Apps aren't exactly bringing devices to their knees nor are they really aimed that way anyway so don't think there is any worry there. Up to devs, could be simple as support Windows 8 and RT but no WP8 app or a more tailored one with the same core.
  • Tonka 1 Oct 2012 12:50:28 20,006 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh fuck.

    My phone died last week and a friend gave me his Xperia Play.

    So now I have no reason to buy a new phone.

    If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

  • Tonka 9 Oct 2012 10:18:16 20,006 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Lumias will be out on November 15th.

    If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

  • mcmonkeyplc 9 Oct 2012 10:36:48 39,384 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    How does one know this?

    Come and get it cumslingers!

  • Tonka 9 Oct 2012 10:58:36 20,006 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    /taps nose


    /has friends in high places


    It's all very hush hush and on the QT (whatever that is, never understood that bit tbh)

    If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

  • sanctusmortis 15 Oct 2012 12:31:19 9,627 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    /taps nose


    /has friends in high places


    It's all very hush hush and on the QT (whatever that is, never understood that bit tbh)
    I love you Google

    But yes, I have began to hear dates for stuff from friends who work behind the scenes at Orange...
  • Page

    of 51 First / Last

Log in or register to reply