Windows Phone 8 Page 47

• Page

of 56 First / Last

• Ror1984 15 Apr 2014 15:57:53 3,606 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    poohcorner wrote:
    Changing regions will change your store currency, and may disable the store altogether. It won't change search results, although from what I can gather, searching with Cortana for places in your local area will be pretty hit and miss as she uses the US Bing.
    Thanks for the heads-up, I'll have a think about it. I can always change it back, I guess.

FFXIV: ARR - Khroma Midgard, Odin.

• Ror1984 15 Apr 2014 16:19:36 3,606 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @poohcorner Yeah, that's the main thing about Cortana that appeals to me.

• Ror1984 15 Apr 2014 17:16:09 3,606 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Time to explore 8.1 :)

• Ror1984 15 Apr 2014 18:40:10 3,606 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hmm, I seem to have lost the ability to upload photos/screens to OneDrive :/ It's not in the list when I hit 'share'. I don't upload everything, so I don't want to toggle auto-uploading of photos...

• Ror1984 15 Apr 2014 21:40:40 3,606 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Xbox Music is a bit sluggish now :( It has to 'load' in all my music now, despite it all being local files. That's a right pain in the arse considering it's one of my main uses for my phone. This is going to annoy me.

• Mageme 16 Apr 2014 00:09:07 2,030 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Surely there must be a way to upload individual photos to OneDrive. Must investigate more.

Must say I'm liking this swipe keyboard!

3DS: 5086-1465-9252

• Ror1984 16 Apr 2014 00:17:38 3,606 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Mageme I've been complaining about that very issue on WPC - I started a thread because I couldn't believe they'd taken that out and thought surely it must be a bug. It's mental. There doesn't even seem to be an option to upload a number of photos - it appears to be auto-upload or nothing at all.

Of course, you can open up the OneDrive app and add a photo that way, but still...

• Mageme 16 Apr 2014 00:41:38 2,030 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Ror1984 there seems to be a workaround bandied around on WPC. Just create a room under the People hub, a corresponding folder will be created in OneDrive. When you open the share menu for a photo, you can share directly to the room you created. Not taking credit, just passing on info!

3DS: 5086-1465-9252

• Ror1984 16 Apr 2014 00:48:28 3,606 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Haha I was just coming here to post the same thing :p

• Ror1984 17 Apr 2014 19:45:15 3,606 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    How's everyone finding 8.1 so far? Aside from a couple of niggles like the lack of OneDrive uploads (since mitigated by the workaround Mageme posted, but a bizarre omission none-the-less) I'm liking it.

I haven't quite gotten used to tabs being under the ellipsis in the browser yet, and keep going to my favourites by mistake, but I'm glad it's back on the app bar for quicker access.

My battery life does seem to have taken a bit of a hit; I usually get ~60 hours out of a charge, but that's almost been cut in half. I've discovered a setting in WiFi Sense just now that might explain it. I turn WiFi off when not in use to preserve battery, but kept noticing it was on in the notification centre - I figured I must have kept toggling it by accident. But there's a setting in WiFi Sense that turns it back on after a set period, which was set to one hour on my phone. With that off, hopefully battery life will improve a touch.

I probably need to explore the settings for everything a bit more closely.

• altitude2k 17 Apr 2014 19:52:31 4,566 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm still rocking the Lumia 800 - well overdue an upgrade now. Hopefully the 930 stays on the good side of pricey.
  • iancognito 17 Apr 2014 20:06:07 1,399 posts
    Seen 11 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Think the battery life dropped. Cortana is interesting but as it's not optimised for "the British accent" it's hard work. Maybe it'll get better. Very superficial thing but the transparent metro tiles with a backdrop are better. I found the windows interface good for a while but after several month it looked blocky and a bit crap. The new one feels more modern.
  • Ror1984 17 Apr 2014 20:48:42 3,606 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oops, obviously I meant tabs *not* being under the ellipsis!

I haven't changed my region to get Cortana yet. Have any of you that have done it had those problems with the store? I'm still debating whether or not to give it a bash - I might just wait 'til it's fully available in the UK. I'm tempted though...

I wasn't sure about the extra row of tiles at first - I think I was just too attached to my start screen layout. Now that I've got it all set up to my liking I'm very happy. It's nice to have more stuff on the screen, and I love the transparency some tiles have.

I hope we get a proper date for the 930 soon. I know they said June, but I'm due an upgrade now and would like a more concrete date.

• DFawkes 17 Apr 2014 22:11:44 23,315 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I found Cortana too unreliable to bother with. Sure, if I put on a ropey American accent it mostly worked, but it made me sound like more of an idiot than I already am.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Ror1984 17 Apr 2014 23:10:15 3,606 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I reckon I'll probably wait on it for now then. Or maybe I'll do it and pretend I'm Master Chief.

Hmm...

• DFawkes 17 Apr 2014 23:24:09 23,315 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If I may ask, as it is relevant here, where are you from? It might be the case that English accents are fine, and perhaps even Edinburgh or more northern Scottish accents, but the Fife accent could strip paint.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• DFawkes 17 Apr 2014 23:30:48 23,315 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ror should probably just go for it. No harm in it, just switch back if you don't like it. What I did notice was the existing voice chat is definitely improved.

• Ror1984 17 Apr 2014 23:36:32 3,606 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I reckon it'd probably be fine with my Sahf Lahnd'n accent. Cor blimey guv'nor, etc.

• Hacienda 18 Apr 2014 02:36:27 160 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    The .1 update is getting some pretty good reviews. Consensus is that it's finally brought WP up to par feature-wise with iOS and Android.

Link

Hoping for a Nokia flagship with 64GB storage, but not sure about this trend towards 5" screens, thought 4.5" was plenty big enough... :/
  • morriss 18 Apr 2014 06:05:39 71,120 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Haven't had a single Cortana problem. (London)

8.1 is great, I think. Really impressed.
  • Baihu1983 18 Apr 2014 08:50:54 3,506 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ror1984 wrote:
    Xbox Music is a bit sluggish now :( It has to 'load' in all my music now, despite it all being local files. That's a right pain in the arse considering it's one of my main uses for my phone. This is going to annoy me.
    Hope its sorted soon as I use it a hell of a lot.
  • twelveways 18 Apr 2014 12:16:23 4,061 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have upgraded but I don't seem to have Cortana, just the regular search and no shortcut. I did have my phone set to UK when I upgraded but I switched it over after, is this why? Is there any way I can get Cortana for it now or do I have to roll it back and update it for 3 hours again?
  • iancognito 18 Apr 2014 13:04:43 1,399 posts
    Seen 11 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Change the language and region settings to US. Some updating and reboots will happen. I updated in UK form then changed region to US. Also need the US language update. Cortana appeared with no extra trickery.
  • Ror1984 18 Apr 2014 13:07:40 3,606 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    Hope its sorted soon as I use it a hell of a lot.
    Same here. I've hardly used my phone for music since updating to 8.1, whereas previously I'd use it daily. The reason for pulling it out of the OS and making it an app instead is apparently to make it easier/quicker to update. Improvements are supposedly coming soon

twelveways wrote:
    I have upgraded but I don't seem to have Cortana, just the regular search and no shortcut. I did have my phone set to UK when I upgraded but I switched it over after, is this why? Is there any way I can get Cortana for it now or do I have to roll it back and update it for 3 hours again?
    Have you checked the app list? I thought I saw some people on WPC say they had to run it from the app list first and go through some set up.

• twelveways 18 Apr 2014 14:59:28 4,061 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Changing the language sorted it out, cheers!

No problems with my Northern accent so far, although I haven't actually used it properly yet, just testing out some of the functions and asking a few stupid questions.

Cortana aside, I like the new features I have found, especially the swipe-down settings switches, not sure they why they don't have one for data on/off though?

Edited by twelveways at 15:15:23 18-04-2014
  • iancognito 18 Apr 2014 15:36:54 1,399 posts
    Seen 11 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yes. If you go to "All settings" you get a sort of short cut, but they would have had room for it and it's possibly something people like to turn off and on more than Bluetooth. Customising the settings might have been good.
  • Page

of 56 First / Last