Final Fantasy VI

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • RyanDS 29 Aug 2012 11:31:40 9,197 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So I decided to finally play this after waiting far too long.

Is there anything I need to know before I start playing it (PSOne Classic on Vita) as I want as smooth and easy experience as possible. Are there any character types that I MUST avoid, or even better anything I can do to break the game and make it super easy?

All advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • SolidSCB 29 Aug 2012 11:37:44 6,560 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just enjoy it. To 'break the game' would be a disservice to it.

One piece of advice I will give though is this; when you learn a Blitz technique for the first time and find it isn't working, it is a 99% certainty you are reading the button prompt the wrong way round.
  • RyanDS 29 Aug 2012 11:41:07 9,197 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well the issue I have with FF games is I hate grinding. Both FF8 and FF13-12 I gave up at the final boss, which annoyed me as I did like it up to then. The difficulty spikes are a pain and to be honest there are so many great games out there to play that I would rather break the game and enjoy and easy ride and a good story than play the game properly and give up at some point.

But if people say I don't need to worry too much then I will just play as intended.
  • SolidSCB 29 Aug 2012 11:45:40 6,560 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You really shouldn't have a problem unless you are intentionally fleeing battles. The levelling you'll do on your travels should be enough.
  • DUFFKING 29 Aug 2012 11:47:49 7,205 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You can cheat Blitz entry commands to make them easier. For example left, down-left, down, down-right, right can just be changed to left, down, down, down, right.

Edited by DUFFKING at 11:48:11 29-08-2012
  • chrisno21 29 Aug 2012 11:52:33 1,489 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    There are obviously some difficulty spikes in it Tower of Mages springs to mind, but it's a great FF, with some great characters both good and bad.

PSN/NNID: chrisno21
    twitter: @NumbersFox

• spamdangled 29 Aug 2012 11:58:04 27,276 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ah, thanks to psone compatibility so many excellent rpgs are now going to get their time to shine again.

Ff6 is easily the best in the series, boasting some of the best spritework the genre has ever seen, an amazing soundtrack, memorable villain and huge, epic scope. And... "that" moment, and the opera scene, easily match or even surpass the death of aeris in vii as one of the most "wow" moments in gaming.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• RyanDS 29 Aug 2012 14:06:46 9,197 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hmm... Just played the start and not impressed. It feels VERY dated. Only got as far as meeting the Esper though.

Will play more tonight and see if it catches me more. Problem is I have FFIX sitting on the Vita as well and it keeps calling out to me for a replay.
  • Zackv4861 2 Sep 2012 15:57:41 1,084 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ofcourse it's dated it must be near 20years old. I played it for the first time 10years ago and i really enjoyed it. I plan on playing it agin in the next year
  • andywilkie35 4 Sep 2012 15:08:51 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm seven hours in now and finished all the scenarios and defeated the first proper Kefka boss battle.

Absolutely loving it. Great cast and plays brilliantly. Can understand Ryan's disappointment but think it helped that I played FFIV last year so kind of used to the old style again.

What's also good is it the general feel of it is like the PS1 FF games in that it's got an epic story (never got the fuss about FFIV's story - good game but was very light on content really with ten second conversations of "go here" whilst this is much more fleshed out) and a great cast. Really enjoying it and very glad I've finally got round to playing it.

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• Mola_Ram 4 Sep 2012 15:12:27 7,199 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The music is wonderful, especially the character tunes. Terra, Setzer, Cyan... shit, FF6 probably has my favorite music out of any of the games.
  • andywilkie35 4 Sep 2012 15:14:11 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Mola_Ram

Played the Theatrhythm FF game on 3DS to death - one of my favourite songs from that is probably Celes' Theme. Haven't heard it yet on this but can't be too long now...

• andywilkie35 4 Sep 2012 15:14:50 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Glad you mentioned the music actually - meant to say that is one of the main comparisons with the PS1 games in that the soundtrack is also epic but forgot when I went back to type something else :)

• Mola_Ram 4 Sep 2012 15:16:52 7,199 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Celes' main bit is in the opera scene. It's worth waiting for.
  • RyanDS 4 Sep 2012 15:42:54 9,197 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    andywilkie35 wrote:

Absolutely loving it. Great cast and plays brilliantly. Can understand Ryan's disappointment but think it helped that I played FFIV last year so kind of used to the old style again.

I'm about 6 hours in now and have warmed to it greatly. Amazing the expressive nature of such crappy graphics. (Crappy as in dated sprites, not crappy as in badly done.)

I have been genuinely moved a couple of times which is a testament to the writing.
  • Daryoon 4 Sep 2012 21:28:38 4,611 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The difference in style between 1-5 and 6 is pretty dramatic, and most certainly helped by the increased age of the cast (the majority are in their mid-late twenties iirc). It helps it feel like a genuine epic fantasy, in contrast to the usual teenage melodrama. I imagine that's also why it was never very popular in Japan (who wants to cosplay a pervy king or Samurai Tom Selleck?!), something that eventually bit FF12 in the arse when they were the higher-ups forced them to shoehorn in teenage protagonists because no one would play a Final Fantasy where the main character was a dishonoured twenty-something knight :/
  • King_Edward 4 Sep 2012 21:35:02 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Vaan and Penelo getting forced into FFXII I'd a bit of a popular myth. Baash was the lead character of a different (scrapped) Final Fantasy.
  • Zackv4861 4 Sep 2012 21:51:40 1,084 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Ryan glad you've warmed to it. It's a great game and the villian is potentially the best evil baddy to ever exist in videogame history. Insane doesn't quite describe it
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next