• captbirdseye 13 May 2013 08:44:46 4,781 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Isn't the show set before that though?
  • Shikasama 13 May 2013 08:45:29 6,599 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Scurrminator wrote:
    Having Coulson live ruins the scene in the Avengers.
    Not really, It's always been assumed that Fury was yanking their chain...that's the whole point of the scene with Coby Smoulders afterwards.

I hope this is good. Could be a nice way to get some less 'blockbuster' worthy heroes involved.
  • varsas 13 May 2013 08:56:16 2,401 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    Scurrminator wrote:
    Having Coulson live ruins the scene in the Avengers.
    Not really, It's always been assumed that Fury was yanking their chain...that's the whole point of the scene with Coby Smoulders afterwards.

I hope this is good. Could be a nice way to get some less 'blockbuster' worthy heroes involved.
    I agree with Scurrminator.

I watched Avengers Assemble again recently and with the television series in mind it is possible to interpret the death (especially with the missing spear tip), the cut away as the medics arrive and the Maria Hill scene as Fury only pretending Coulson is dead. However watching the first time and even now it feels like it Coulson actually dies and the Hill scene is her saying that Fury used Coulson's death amplified by fake smearing of blood on cards to play the Avengers; lack of Coulson's re-appearance before the end also points in this direction imho.

Edited by varsas at 08:58:28 13-05-2013
  • Shikasama 13 May 2013 08:59:22 6,599 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I suppose it's a 'wait and see' type thing to see what explanation they give in the pilot.

I'm used to the high level comic bullshit with 'status quo changers' but they definitely have a fine line when it comes to that stuff and the on screen variants. You can only push it so far with TV/Movie audiences.
  • nickthegun 13 May 2013 09:18:12 58,777 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think its probably quite likely that they dont care how the series affects that particular scene, especially since its designed to be, at least, open to interpretation if not downright explicit.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• beastmaster 13 May 2013 09:50:43 11,137 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Here's the teaser trailer.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• varsas 13 May 2013 10:30:15 2,401 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    I suppose it's a 'wait and see' type thing to see what explanation they give in the pilot.

I'm used to the high level comic bullshit with 'status quo changers' but they definitely have a fine line when it comes to that stuff and the on screen variants. You can only push it so far with TV/Movie audiences.
    I expect a dodgy retcon and I don't mind too much since I like the character but it does take a bit away from the film imho.

beastmaster wrote:
    Here's the teaser trailer.
    Already posted both on the previous page ;)

Edited by varsas at 10:33:43 13-05-2013
  • beastmaster 13 May 2013 10:32:55 11,137 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oops! It's so important, it needs posting twice!

• Ged42 13 May 2013 13:48:13 7,700 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I imagine that Coulson's death will either be brushed aside ('i got better') in the first few minutes or be a major plot arc for the first season. Depends on whether Coulson knows that he died and whether he keeps dying, in the manner of Kenny from South Park.
  • Whizzo 13 May 2013 14:02:45 43,031 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fury laid it on pretty thick about Coulson's death in the movie with him faking the trading cards with blood, something that probably wouldn't have been needed if he really was dead rather than badly hurt.

This space left intentionally blank.

• TarickStonefire 13 May 2013 15:25:52 2,881 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Seen a few "OMGYUSSSSS ABC PICKED IT UP!" posts today and yesterday about this.

Was it made without a network having shown a definite interest or something? Was there *ever* doubt that an Avengers show from Whedon would be anything other than fought over by the networks?

Or are people mainly happy it wasn't Fox that got it? ;)

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• nickthegun 13 May 2013 15:45:16 58,777 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ABC are a disney company, so its not much of a surprise.

He totally called it

• Deleted user 13 May 2013 15:49:57
    Yeah, there was literally no fighting. It was always going to be ABC. I suspect they're expressing delight that the pilot got picked up and ordered to series the other day.
  • bivith 15 May 2013 10:28:25 2,466 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Big trailer

• Whizzo 15 May 2013 10:34:37 43,031 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well that looks pretty damn good, rather expensive too, Disney and ABC aren't messing about.

This space left intentionally blank.

• kalel 15 May 2013 10:48:26 86,220 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I always thought Coulson dying being the whole motivation for the to finally club together and "avenge" was really weak as a plot point. It's not like he was their dad or anything. He was barely even a character.

Now to have an entire TV series with him at the centre worries me. He better suddenly become significantly more interesting and charismatic.
  • CosmicFuzz 15 May 2013 10:56:37 23,077 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I see him as just being the Nick Fury of the TV show. The real stars will be the superheroes, but to get the public on board they're shouting "look it's him from the avengers!" just now. Or not, I dunno. I agree he's not a great main character.

Is anyone else getting a bit bored with remastered games? Read my thoughts!

• varsas 15 May 2013 13:43:08 2,401 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't think the real stars will be the superheroes because the series is about S.H.I.E.L.D. and the main cast are agents of that organisation and not superheroes.

I liked the Coulson character from the films and from the shorts so I think he'll be a good lead.
  • Deleted user 15 May 2013 15:36:58
    kalel wrote:
    I always thought Coulson dying being the whole motivation for the to finally club together and "avenge" was really weak as a plot point. It's not like he was their dad or anything. He was barely even a character.

Now to have an entire TV series with him at the centre worries me. He better suddenly become significantly more interesting and charismatic.
    He's become the Boba Fett of the Marvel Universe - a character with some sort of weird cult mysticism around him despite doing absolutely fuck all in any of the films aside from "dying" at a convenient moment. If anything, this series threatens to Attack of the Clones him and turn him into a demystified tosser.
  • nickthegun 15 May 2013 15:40:28 58,777 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not really. Hes been in all of the movies and generally gets at least a few good lines, juxtaposing a normal suit against these dudes who can punch through mountains. People like that.

He was also shown as a gaffer in Thor, so I dont think thats really a problem but, despite his flaws, Whedon does write good characters, so im sure he will be one.

Hes likely to just have the Charlie role anyway.

He totally called it

• Deleted user 15 May 2013 15:44:56
    nickthegun wrote:
    Hes likely to just have the Charlie role anyway.
  • BinaryBob101 15 May 2013 15:53:46 22,277 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Looks like there's enough money on screen, which is a good thing. It's him from Angel as the superdude, innit?

Beautiful tender beings.

• beastmaster 15 May 2013 15:56:22 11,137 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There's Hulk footabge (or is it Abonimation?) that's currently doing the rounds and seems to be taken off just as quick as it goes up.

It's very brief and is most probably fake.

• StarchildHypocrethes 15 May 2013 20:17:13 25,389 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    bivith wrote:
    Big trailer

Looks pretty slick.

Not quite what I was expecting either, which is nice. Although I'm not really sure what I was expecting.
  • Scurrminator 15 May 2013 21:36:35 8,375 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It looks fucking gash.
    Embarrassing stuff.

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• GuiltySpark 15 May 2013 22:08:47 6,320 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Why do people like/care about Coulson at all? I honestly can't see why. In my eyes he never really had much of a character.

Get bent.

• NBZ 15 May 2013 22:28:52 2,351 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Whedon can't seem to let anyone stay dead.

If every character he ever kills will come back the very next chance it gets, thats just cheap.

Firefly related: If the show had continued/been revived he would probably bring Wash back too.

Edited by NBZ at 22:29:52 15-05-2013
  • varsas 16 May 2013 10:15:09 2,401 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think they needed an in for the show to tie it to the movies and Coulson's cheaper than Fury.

I like him because he's not quite as he seems, see the short films, funny and a geek.
  • Ultrasoundwave 16 May 2013 10:52:23 3,264 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Personally, i'm not too bothered with Coulson coming back from the dead - anyone who has ever read a comic will know that death means absolutely fuck all in the marvel universe.

Rumours were that, because 'How i met your mother' is finishing, Cobie Smulders will be joining the series at some point as Maria Hill too.

The bottom line is, with Whedon running this thing and Marvels money behind it, i cant see this even coming close to failing. If they can get a few cameos along the way from the big hitters too (Thor, Iron Man, Cap, etc) the show will be HUGE.

Edited by Ultrasoundwave at 10:52:43 16-05-2013

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Shikasama 16 May 2013 11:31:49 6,599 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    The bottom line is, with Whedon running this thing and Marvels money behind it, i cant see this even coming close to failing. If they can get a few cameos along the way from the big hitters too (Thor, Iron Man, Cap, etc) the show will be HUGE.
    It annoys me that things like that can be so difficult. I mean...the movie stars have enough cash from the films, would it really kill RDJ to do a days/couple of days filming for the TV show. Likewise with the others.
  • Page

of 22 First / Last