S.H.I.E.L.D TV Series Is A Go

• Page

of 24 First / Last

Previous
  • El_MUERkO 29 Aug 2012 04:22:14 17,146 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=35011

Earlier this month, alongside the hoopla that came with the news that Avengers writer-director Joss Whedon would return for the sequel, there was the announcement that part of the creative maestro’s big deal with Marvel was to oversee the long-gestating TV series set in the studio’s universe. Well, we know the show will be focused on S.H.I.E.L.D and US network ABC has ordered a pilot.

The show will, as many have predicted, follow what is called in the movies the Strategic Homeland Intervention Enforcement and Logistics Division and will chronicle the organisation’s activity, albeit on a lower budget (think X-Files instead of X-Men) and almost certainly without appearances from the super-powered likes of Captain America (though some of the characters may crop up come ratings sweeps time). And is it too much to hope that it’ll take place in a pre-Avengers universe so Clark Gregg’s Coulson will enjoy some more screen time? The plot specifics, though, remain under wraps.

To say that Whedon has some experience with TV is sort of like saying Usain Bolt knows how to run a bit. So it’s heartening to hear that the Buffy / Angel / Firefly mastermind will be involved as much as he can, given that he’s also going to be slightly busy overseeing phase 2 of the Marvel cinematic plan and the Avengers’ next adventure. The show's early details currently call for him to direct the pilot, but that’s assuming he has time.

Still, he’ll have some truly qualified help on the scripting front, with Dr Horrible co-writers (and brother / sister-in-law) Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancheroen on board to act as writer-producers plus Jeffrey Bell (who has worked on Alias and V, but was also a part of the Angel staff). And Marvel’s Jeph Loeb, himself no stranger to the Whedonverse, having worked on the short-lived Buffy animated series, is also overseeing things.

Exciting, no? So come on people: what do you want to see in a S.H.I.E.L.D show? (All together now: “COULSSSOOOOONNNN!”)

excitement
  • CosmicFuzz 29 Aug 2012 07:39:20 25,625 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Very!

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• BinaryBob101 29 Aug 2012 11:43:31 24,418 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just read about this. It could be great.

Also, at least it should get past season one without cancellation, as it has a pre-installed fan base.

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• Deleted user 29 August 2012 11:47:57
    We definitely need more superhero related things.
  • Whizzo 29 Aug 2012 12:57:30 43,352 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm so glad it's not on Fox.

This space left intentionally blank.

• GiarcYekrub 29 Aug 2012 13:35:25 3,857 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Me want, just watched series 2 of Dollhouse on Bank Holiday Monday, TV is missing Mr Whedon
  • beastmaster 29 Aug 2012 13:40:07 11,987 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Needs lots of Cobie Smulders.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• GiarcYekrub 29 Aug 2012 14:33:08 3,857 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Everything should have lots of Cobie Smulders
  • S.J.Rogers 29 Aug 2012 15:24:45 3,557 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    She looked a lot better in the early HIMYM, when she had longer hair...
  • spamdangled 29 Aug 2012 15:32:41 27,455 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hmm, Jeph Loeb's involvement has me a little concerned.

On the one hand, he gave us the excellent Batman: The Long Halloween and Daredevil: Yellow.

On the other hand, most of his Marvel work is the worst kind of contrived, creatively bankrupt trash. It says a lot about his creative standards when he thinks Rob fucking Liefeld is one of the best artists in the industry.

Still, very early days yet and we don't know his level of involvement, so... cautiously interested.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Ginger 29 Aug 2012 19:02:47 6,916 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    the fact that whedon is involved makes me expect good things. And a musical episode.

London open taekwondo champion

• Ged42 29 Aug 2012 20:09:27 7,807 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Excellent stuff, I wonder who the regular Whedon crowd of actors will get roles?

Though I wonder if Samuel L Jackson will be an occasional guest star or they'll have another actor play Fury?
  • varsas 30 Aug 2012 13:32:58 2,414 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Will this be good? I don't know anything about what S.H.I.E.L.D. do without the context of super-heroes. If it's just an X-Files type show, even with the great Joss being involved, it might be a bit of a re-tread without a decent hook like Fringe.
  • Deleted user 30 August 2012 14:06:32
    TV series tie-ins after films have a history of being really top drawer television. Robocop, Young Indiana Jones, Sarah Connor Chronicles. The list is really endless.
  • Deleted user 30 August 2012 14:13:33
    kalel wrote:
    TV series tie-ins after films have a history of being really top drawer television. Robocop, Young Indiana Jones, Sarah Connor Chronicles. The list is really endless.
    In fairness Whedon was behind one of the best tie-ins
  • Deleted user 30 August 2012 14:15:40
    If you mean Buffy, that doesn't really count.
  • Whizzo 30 Aug 2012 14:18:22 43,352 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sarah Connor was very good, unfortunately it was on Fox.

• spamdangled 30 Aug 2012 14:21:56 27,455 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    varsas wrote:
    Will this be good? I don't know anything about what S.H.I.E.L.D. do without the context of super-heroes. If it's just an X-Files type show, even with the great Joss being involved, it might be a bit of a re-tread without a decent hook like Fringe.
    SHIELD are basically a giant organisation of super-spies with really advanced technology. Think James Bond, except with even cooler gadgets.

I'd say Alias/24 is probably a better comparison than X-Files. X-Files gives the impression it's all about solving supernatural mysteries, whilst SHIELD is more grounded in political conspiracy and terrorism plots.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• BinaryBob101 30 Aug 2012 14:22:09 24,418 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Why doesn't Buffy count? Because it has a different cast?

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• nickthegun 30 Aug 2012 14:23:01 61,308 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, it wasnt bad.

Although this is a different gravy altogether and its difficult to see how it could fail as its got everything going for it. Whedon is involved, it will have money, the minor marvel universe is pretty dense and the dude who plays coulson is an experienced tv actor, so you would imagine he can carry the show.

It will just end up being a spy caper, which I can completely get on board with.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• BinaryBob101 30 Aug 2012 14:23:59 24,418 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Coulson is dead.

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• Deleted user 30 August 2012 14:24:16
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    It counts just fine. The rest of the Wiki list is shockingly crap though :-D
  • spamdangled 30 Aug 2012 14:25:55 27,455 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    Coulson is dead.
    Whedon gave them a blatant way out of that in the first film if they wanted to bring him back.

• spamdangled 30 Aug 2012 14:27:24 27,455 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Rhythm wrote:
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    It counts just fine. The rest of the Wiki list is shockingly crap though :-D
    That list is missing Poltergeist: The Legacy.

Always loved that show when I was a kid.

• Deleted user 30 August 2012 14:27:29
    I think Buffy is different because it was a re-imagining of a not particularly popular film.

It wasn't a spin-off or a tie in. The film may as well have never happened.
  • nickthegun 30 Aug 2012 14:27:59 61,308 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    Coulson is dead.
    It was pretty heavily implied that hes not, plus it could be a *shudder* prequel.

• Whizzo 30 Aug 2012 14:28:33 43,352 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Buffy doesn't count because the film was based on his original script then completely fucked about with, the TV series has virtually nothing to do with the film and certainly isn't a follow up to it.

• spamdangled 30 Aug 2012 14:29:58 27,455 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I think Buffy is different because it was a re-imagining of a not particularly popular film.

It wasn't a spin-off or a tie in. The film may as well have never happened.
    If you want to get *really* pedantic, the film is actually still canon (in one way or another, the basic events happened but not quite as depicted in the film). The series makes some vague references to it a few times, and iirc it's also referenced in Season 8.

• nickthegun 30 Aug 2012 14:30:35 61,308 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If we didnt have the film, we would never have had pee wee herman as a vampire.

Think about that for a moment.

• Whizzo 30 Aug 2012 14:34:11 43,352 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The film is not canon.

• Page

of 24 First / Last

Previous