Neil Armstrong, RIP Page 3

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Next
  • Maturin 28 Aug 2012 11:24:53 2,961 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Armstrong's death prompted me to watch The Right Stuff again. Not watched the DVD for years (my copy is so old it's double-sided).

Wife watched it with me and really enjoyed it.

A very good reminder of how brave early astronauts (and all of them really) were. Riding atop of something that has a strong possibility of exploding at any minute.

There are only two of the original Mercury pilots still alive. Chuck Yeager is still ticking, he's 89.

It seems strange that these rocket riding heroes of my youth are now dying out. Feels like a really important era is over. And an era that could have led to so much more. I hope the new commercial ventures and the Chinese efforts mean we are about to enter a new age of space exploration.
  • superdelphinus 28 Aug 2012 11:28:16 8,051 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    Genuinely sad about this :(

I was talking with my wife last night, seeing if she could come up with another living human whose name would be well known in a thousand years time. I couldn't think of anyone.
    QE2 and various other royals probably (unfortunately). And Rolf Harris of course
  • Maturin 28 Aug 2012 11:29:23 2,961 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think Einstein is one possible.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 28 Aug 2012 11:59:01 37,882 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I wonder how much of an impact his death has made in America. I was expecting to see some big tribute to him coming from over there, but I've not seen a thing.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Next