Why do women like flowers so much? Page 4

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Next
  • Deleted user 24 August 2012 20:40:53
    EyeLand wrote:
    revan8 wrote:
    Stickman wrote:
    It's because they love to take something carefree and beautiful, imprison it and then watch it wither away until it dies.
    I'm not sure why but that made me laugh a lot.
    Because it rings true, you heartless witch!
    :) men just need to be reigned in a bit.
  • Dirtbox 24 Aug 2012 20:44:59 77,646 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sadly not, I pity the man whose girlfriend thinks that way.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Deleted user 24 August 2012 21:25:04
    I like flowers, they brighten the place up. Resent spending more than 40 on them though. Roses on valentines day, eek.
  • President_Weasel 24 Aug 2012 21:52:05 9,126 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    Salaman wrote:
    Randomly bringing home flowers is considered very thoughtful. You've gotten some because you were pretty much told to now.
    I'm a bad man

:'-(
    It's catch-22.

You never buy me flowers! Ever!

Option a: buy flowers
    You only bought them because I told you to!

Option b: do not buy flowers
    Divorce follows

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I'd go with the love egg idea. It may be your only hope of salvation.

Take her out for a really nice meal at her favourite restaurant (she has a favourite restaurant, right?) and ask the waiters beforehand if they wouldn't mind stashing some really nice flowers for you and bringing them out with the dessert, so you can say either "I believe you said I never get you flowers?" or "BUNCH OF FLOWERS!" which is my personal favourite.

You will need:
    A nice bunch of flowers;
    To put in the time and effort to take the flowers to the restaurant beforehand;
    Some money for a nice tip for the restaurant staff for going to the trouble.

Or don't bother, it's up to you. Seems like it might be a useful way to avoid options a or b, also you will get to eat food, which is nice.

Edited by President_Weasel at 21:53:34 24-08-2012
  • President_Weasel 24 Aug 2012 21:55:36 9,126 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    I like flowers, they brighten the place up. Resent spending more than 40 on them though. Roses on valentines day, eek.
    Roses on Valentines day, they really see us coming.

"but they're like a thousand pounds for three, it's ridiculous" sounds an awful lot like "I don't love you" to some people.
  • localnotail 24 Aug 2012 22:22:08 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sod Valentine's Day. Commercial exploitation. Suggest guerilla Valentine's on Feb 2nd. 02/02. That way is cheaper but avoids potential disappointment factor of waiting until afterwards.

In fact, suggest buying flowers on Feb 2nd, March 3rd, April 4th etc. See if she notices the easy to remember pattern.

I had a thought about "WHY FLOWERS?". I think it's just that on top of being pretty and smelling nice, and the fact that it's lovely receiving a gift that shows someone has thought about making your days nicer, there is something else. Flowers don't have to be repaid. Flowers are by their very nature ephemeral and short-lived, so they aren't like a real present. They are however a great way to say thanks for all the things she does to make your life a bit better. Ways you probably don't even notice until they are gone.

Edited by localnotail at 22:26:01 24-08-2012

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Deleted user 24 August 2012 22:22:21
    craigy wrote:
    Hey ! EG bods get tag lines now ?

How do I get one of them ?

I need :

'bdaggers - Begat the Charity thread, anti Royalist commoner'
  • Zackv4861 25 Aug 2012 00:08:20 1,084 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My wife hates flowers. Shes says they're pointless as they die and are a waste of money. They look nice sure!! She'd rather a living plant or chocolate :-)

Edited by Zackv4861 at 00:08:37 25-08-2012
  • mal 25 Aug 2012 00:36:48 22,410 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @bdaggers It's something to do with having a gamesindustry.biz account, I think.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Ryze 25 Aug 2012 23:28:56 3,123 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    lucky_jim wrote:
    I used to buy flowers for a (now ex-) girlfriend fairly often, I'd pick them up on my way back to hers from work. The weirdest thing was the amount of smiles and glances I'd get from random women whilst making my way to her place with the flowers. I mean, what the hell was that all about? Maybe now I'm single I should start walking around with a bunch of flowers at all times.
    THIS.
  • jamesi 26 Aug 2012 07:24:55 200 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I have always wondered about this too.I've got a theory.the flowers aren't for them they're for us.we are showing them that we can be gentle and caring and have a softer side.things us guys don't like being/showing and women like to think they bring this out in us.it's kinda like how they love it if you cry or are moved at a film at the cinema.
  • SirScratchalot 26 Aug 2012 09:17:15 7,872 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Being allergic I have negative associations to and get very stressed by flower smells in general, and usually get spring depressions whenever the buggers start smelling.

It is the smell of coming doom and infinite snot INSIDE YOUR HEAD!
  • SirScratchalot 26 Aug 2012 09:30:16 7,872 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    At least I'm not roped in by colorful plant genitaliae. The rest of you are pretty much bees.
  • THFourteen 26 Aug 2012 11:40:27 33,096 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    /facepalm

my dad just phoned and told me they have organised some flowers to be sent to Mrs TH14s workplace on Tuesday for our anniversary
  • President_Weasel 26 Aug 2012 11:54:25 9,126 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The only thing you can do now is double down.
    Send even more flowers to her workplace, then take her home to a house full of the fuckers.

(Then start laughing and crying at the same time and screaming HAPPY NOW!?)
  • Ryze 23 Sep 2012 13:04:41 3,123 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pumpatron wrote:
    @elstoof

I'd have full control of the speed at which the segments were consumed. No one eats a whole chocolate orange on my watch. Except me.

I think your real nickname's 'plumpertron'.

/late
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Next