Why do women like flowers so much? Page 3

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• elstoof 24 Aug 2012 14:38:23 7,374 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TOOTR wrote:
    I don't think the majority of chicks DO like flowers. If they did they'd buy more for themselves, more regularly, surely?
    I dunno, I love blow jobs but I'd still rather receive one as a gift than pay for one myself.
  • geeza2020 24 Aug 2012 14:45:56 1,887 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    TOOTR wrote:
    ..she is a shallow show boating empty vessel...
    My kinda gal :)

Edited by geeza2020 at 14:47:06 24-08-2012
  • warlockuk 24 Aug 2012 15:38:16 19,171 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    So it's my 2 year anniversary on Tuesday, and traditionally (er last year) we haven't done big presents, just a small token like a funny tshirt or book or something. This year the mrs hinted that i hadn't ever bought her flowers, so i have ordered her some flowers to get delivered (embarassingly) to work.

Thing that i dont understand is, why do women like flowers so much!? for me its a total cop out present, no thought going into it at all - i buy my mum flowers on mothers day because i can't think of anything else to get her.

They die after a week and you are left with nothing but a vase full of droopy crap.

I do not understand.
    A mixture of things being pretty and the effect on the olfactory system. Smells evoke memories and emotions. If it gets you violated, don't question the why. :)

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• lucky_jim 24 Aug 2012 15:42:01 5,298 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I used to buy flowers for a (now ex-) girlfriend fairly often, I'd pick them up on my way back to hers from work. The weirdest thing was the amount of smiles and glances I'd get from random women whilst making my way to her place with the flowers. I mean, what the hell was that all about? Maybe now I'm single I should start walking around with a bunch of flowers at all times.
  • localnotail 24 Aug 2012 15:50:53 23,093 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    As others have said, flowers look nice and often smell nice. It's pleasing to have nature in the house. That should be enough to warrant anyone buying them.

The thought is what really counts though - the fact that you took time out of your day to take action to make her life a bit nicer, that you spent time / money acquiring something for her pleasure (that isn't ribbed). Most of the time (not always) the balance of caring about the other is far weighted in the male's favour - most women look after other people, make sure that things run smoothly, without really thinking about it. Mostr of the time men don't even notice, the women are so good at it. Buying (especially random) flowers is a small way of redressing this. It's just a nice thing to do.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Stickman 24 Aug 2012 15:51:56 29,666 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's because they love to take something carefree and beautiful, imprison it and then watch it wither away until it dies.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• localnotail 24 Aug 2012 16:02:54 23,093 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hey, that goldfish was old and lame when I was given it.

• TOOTR 24 Aug 2012 16:08:36 9,568 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    As others have said, flowers look nice and often smell nice. It's pleasing to have nature in the house. That should be enough to warrant anyone buying them.

They don't look nice or smell nice for more than a brief time. Why not nature that's longer term like a plant then? Or perfume? Or a perfume plant? (that doesn't flower)? Or a pet? Like a 24 hour mayfly? Still not clear why FLOWERS?

The thought is what really counts though - the fact that you took time out of your day to take action to make her life a bit nicer, that you spent time / money acquiring something for her pleasure (that isn't ribbed).

It's just a nice thing to do.
    Why not a cake? some clothes? A book? A rare LP? A rare trilobite fossil on loan from the National History Museum? Some personal caligraphy? A mint shrink wrapped edition of the original Palitoy 5 1/4" Jawa? A voucher for a spa? A sex change op?

Gifts are always a thoughtful action yes, gifts are nice sure, no one is disputing that - the original question has NOT been answered! - Why FLOWERS?

Hope all is well with you and the little bub Local :D

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• Razz 24 Aug 2012 16:13:51 61,205 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Girlfriend is very pleased with her flowers! I'm offically boyfriend of the year :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• localnotail 24 Aug 2012 16:14:46 23,093 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Symbolic fertility / reproductive gesture, ok. There, I said it, It's a tribute to our role as the bringer of life.

Maybe.

Minilocal is good thanks. Can't believe she is 5 weeks old tomorrow, but very glad to be moving into the more responsive / less floppy stage.

• Razz 24 Aug 2012 16:18:17 61,205 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You say that now...

Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• localnotail 24 Aug 2012 16:31:52 23,093 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    No, honestly, a smile that's not wind is enough to keep me happy, and a little head control goes a long way.

• Grunk 24 Aug 2012 16:44:53 4,718 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    Where can I get flowers sent to someone's workplace?
    From someone's workplace?
  • gang_of_bitches 24 Aug 2012 16:50:50 5,594 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    Hahaha, she doesn't eat it! But she loves my H.S Balls
    There's an inappropriate chutney joke to be made here somewhere, just can't make it work. Still, kudos for pretty obscure South African condiment japery. :)
  • sport 24 Aug 2012 16:54:53 12,734 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    gang_of_bitches wrote:
    Razz wrote:
    Hahaha, she doesn't eat it! But she loves my H.S Balls
    There's an inappropriate chutney joke to be made here somewhere, just can't make it work. Still, kudos for pretty obscure South African condiment japery. :)
    I haven't tasted a chutney that comes close to Balls. Pop some on a boerewors roll and hand that to your missus. Fuck the flowers!
  • Feanor 24 Aug 2012 17:01:23 14,166 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't understand it either, and feel like doing it on Valentine's Day is particularly lame cause then everyone's doing it. But I have ordered some flowers to go to my wife's work next week on the 10th anniversary of when we first met, and I expect them to be received rather well since it should be a surprise.
  • bzzct 24 Aug 2012 17:19:00 1,725 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Flowers have always seemed to me to take all the best parts out of present giving - they're not thoughtful (they're obvious), they're not unique (everyone gets them) - it's like giving chocolates but without the advantage of at least having something tasty.

I've become aware, however, that these views are not shared by the recipients/potential recipients of flowers, which renders them moot.

Edit: I actively avoided buying flowers as a present for a long time, as it seemed like such a shit, lazy, verging-on-insulting present. I've since learned that efforts to hunt down particularly thought-out music, books, gigs, dinners etc is somewhat unnecessary - [many] girls like multi-coloured stuff.

Edited by bzzct at 17:23:45 24-08-2012

Edited by bzzct at 17:26:17 24-08-2012
  • PazJohnMitch 24 Aug 2012 17:21:49 8,066 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Somewhat off topic:

Yesterday was Chinese Valentines Day.

7th day of the 7th lunar month in the Chinese calendar.
  • LeoliansBro 24 Aug 2012 17:55:14 44,248 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    There’s some seriously questionable sexuality in here.
    Oh there's no question at all - this thread is pretty fucking gay.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• localnotail 24 Aug 2012 18:11:50 23,093 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    He used to give me roses, I wish he could again...

• RelaxedMikki 24 Aug 2012 18:20:49 929 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ...being romantic isn't gay...

...it's just way more difficult than it should be...

...I mean, how hard can it be to buy a few flowers now and then...?

...I have no idea why I can't manage it...
  • Pumpatron 24 Aug 2012 18:25:56 374 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I was talking about this with my mates girlfriend. I said, 'wouldn't you rather have a chocolate orange, you can eat a chocolate orange, you can't eat flowers, they do nothing then die'

But no, she'd rather have flowers than a chocolate orange. I will never understand women.
  • DodgyPast 24 Aug 2012 18:33:44 8,469 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Convinced me, there'll be some flowers ready for the other half on Sunday when she gets back from work.
  • Feanor 24 Aug 2012 18:41:51 14,166 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    There’s some seriously questionable sexuality in here.
    Oh there's no question at all - this thread is pretty fucking gay.
    Sounds like you know a lot about pretty gays fucking.
  • Deleted user 24 August 2012 19:34:37
    Stickman wrote:
    It's because they love to take something carefree and beautiful, imprison it and then watch it wither away until it dies.
    I'm not sure why but that made me laugh a lot.
  • elstoof 24 Aug 2012 20:02:40 7,374 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Chocolate Orange makes you fat. Are you trying to make a woman fat? Are you some kind of feeder? So she'll never be able to leave you?
  • Pumpatron 24 Aug 2012 20:29:02 374 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @elstoof

I'd have full control of the speed at which the segments were consumed. No one eats a whole chocolate orange on my watch. Except me.
  • cheeky_prawnking 24 Aug 2012 20:29:04 4,584 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The thought as has been mentioned many times. I think I have brought flowers twice ever, probably why my relationships go to shit.
  • elstoof 24 Aug 2012 20:40:51 7,374 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Even better, "I bought you a gift! which you may use only when I allow you to."
  • Page

of 4 First / Last