British passport query - help please

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Telepathic.Geometry 24 Aug 2012 07:58:16 11,118 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hi guys, long time no post. Anyway, a friend of mine with a British birth certificate is trying to apply for a passport. Completely legit, her dad is a UK citizen, but her mother and I have been searching every where for:

1. the reference number,
    2. the certificate number,
    3. the section.

If anyone knows their way around a UK birth cert, I'd really appreciate it. Cheers, TG.

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• ILoveThrashMetal 24 Aug 2012 08:35:16 554 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Telepathic.Geometry wrote:
    Hi guys, long time no post. Anyway, a friend of mine with a British birth certificate is trying to apply for a passport. Completely legit, her dad is a UK citizen, but her mother and I have been searching every where for:

1. the reference number,
    2. the certificate number,
    3. the section.

If anyone knows their way around a UK birth cert, I'd really appreciate it. Cheers, TG.
    I think your best bet is to go onto the uk government's website,it tells you all you need to know.don't know if your in the uk but you can always search for your nearest post office that does 'check and send' they will make sure you have all the relevant paperwork before they send it off (for an extra fee of course)

Arsechickens

• gooner77 24 Aug 2012 08:37:18 652 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    directgov.uk is your best bet
  • Telepathic.Geometry 24 Aug 2012 08:50:37 11,118 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cheers for the replies guys, but directgov.uk seems to explain everything BUT those three things in their documentation. I've been through it a million times over the last few hours. The reference number might be okay, but the other two are enigmas.

• Bremenacht 24 Aug 2012 08:57:24 15,753 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Contact your (or their) local registry office, I'd say.

London offices:

http://www.rbkc.gov.uk/communityandlocallife/registerservices/chelsearegisterofficehours/registerofficesinlondon.aspx

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• Deleted user 24 August 2012 09:07:46
    Not sure, for me I had to take my birth cert to the American embassy here in London to get all the information and relevant forms for dual nationality.
    There must be something for people to get British passports and all the help they need. My sister had to do it years ago, can't remember where but it is central London. I had a look on Google and found British embassies website but no address was clearly shown.
  • Bremenacht 24 Aug 2012 09:08:59 15,753 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There's no British embassy in London..

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• Deleted user 24 August 2012 09:15:36
    I know that, but there is a government building in central London which deals with passports and all foreign queries.
  • elstoof 24 Aug 2012 09:18:39 6,139 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I got a copy of my birth certificate not so long ago, cost about 6 quid and did it all online. I'll see if I can remember how. All you need is the name at birth and the district the hospital you were registered at as a baby. If that's why you mean?
  • Deleted user 24 August 2012 09:19:56
    Read the post :) birth certificate...check.
  • lucky_jim 24 Aug 2012 09:21:32 5,161 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @revan8
    I reckon you're thinking of the big passport office near Victoria Station. They're pretty good but I wouldn't recommend going there without an appointment. Wouldn't a Citizens' Advice Bureau be able to help?
  • elstoof 24 Aug 2012 09:35:42 6,139 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The birth certificate or format has probably changed, what they're asking for might well be on newer certificates and not on older ones. I guess not many adults are applying for passports with birth certificates of late. I'd get in touch with the general register office as see what they say.
  • Deleted user 24 August 2012 15:21:29
    Is it a full or a short birth certificate?
  • Dirtbox 24 Aug 2012 15:45:57 76,334 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I had to go to the registry office where I was born and root through a shitload of microfiche and records to get mine when I lost my birth certificate.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Dirtbox 24 Aug 2012 15:46:35 76,334 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Is it a full or a short birth certificate?
    You can't get a passport with a short certificate, which is probably what hers is and why there is no mention of those things.

Edited by Dirtbox at 15:47:03 24-08-2012

• neilka 24 Aug 2012 15:56:07 14,942 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Go to France and sneak back in under a lorry, job's a good 'un.
  • pinebear 24 Aug 2012 16:00:07 8,565 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    Go to France and sneak back in under a lorry, job's a good 'un.
    Eurostar from Brussels to Lille. Stay on until St Pancreas, done.

• Telepathic.Geometry 27 Aug 2012 01:06:59 11,118 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Meme/Dirts: Cheers lads, I really appreciate it. That's exactly what the problem was. We're sending off all the necessary papers now to get the long birth certificate. Problem solved. ^-^

• thenastypasty 27 Aug 2012 01:19:48 5,178 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I know this has no relevance to the tread but I'll share anyway.

I was contracting to a farmer last year who had lost is wife to cancer a couple of years before I stated the job, anyway while I was working for him he decided to go on a cruise around south east Asia, while in the trip he meet a lady form Hong Kong who was in the same boat(pun), anyway she turn out to be a very successful business women who supplied items to the likes of GAP and Next and was a multi million heir.

After a short romance they got married and when she came over here they found out because they had got hitched she was eligible to get full pension...!
  • mal 27 Aug 2012 02:02:32 21,958 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's very bizarre, given the amount of grief the tax office gave my mum about a couple years of stamp mislaid while working in retail in her twenties, while refusing to give her her full pension.

Edited by mal at 02:02:56 27-08-2012

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• mattigan 27 Aug 2012 11:04:55 1,429 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The passport office in London is in Petty France, if you have the required docs and are prepared to wait several hours I believe you can get a UK passport the same day there. If you are applying by post, a good tip used to be to send the form off to the Belfast passport office who were a bit less busy than the one on the mainland and so you would get your new passport back in a matter of days, not sure if this is still the case nowadays though...

Edited by mattigan at 11:05:25 27-08-2012
  • Telepathic.Geometry 28 Aug 2012 08:01:56 11,118 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just in case it helps somebody else, it turns out that the birth cert we had was INDEED the long one, but that there is no registration number or section number on it. In fact, that section of the passport form we thought we had to fill out is unnecessary as it turns out, as her daughter was born in London, even though she lives in Japan now.

Thanks for all the help anyway everyone, and sorry to hear about your grandma mal. That sucks. :-/

• elstoof 28 Aug 2012 08:10:07 6,139 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its not at Petty France by the way, they moved the office to Eccleston Square a number of years ago.
  • gooner77 28 Aug 2012 08:37:23 652 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Dirtbox 21 Sep 2012 04:36:05 76,334 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'll give this a bump.

I just renewed my passport and was amazed at the quick turnaround. I used the passport checking service at the post office which cost a further 8 but I got it in 12 days rather than the customary 3 weeks.

Anyway.

I didn't get my birth certificate back with the passport as they've always done previously. The passport wasn't sent to me by regular post, but arrived by courier at 8 in the evening. Does anyone know if they going to send my birth certificate back separately or am I going to have to chase it around like a mug?

• Deleted user 21 September 2012 07:45:33
    They've always sent mine separately, usually arriving a few days later.
  • elstoof 21 Sep 2012 08:03:22 6,139 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What was the birth certificate for? I just sent my old passport and some new mugshots when I did mine last year.
  • Dirtbox 23 Sep 2012 08:37:23 76,334 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    To follow up, they sent it in the post the next day.

I needed to send my birth cert because I lost my old passport.

• localnotail 23 Sep 2012 11:39:33 23,093 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    What was the birth certificate for? I just sent my old passport and some new mugshots when I did mine last year.
    Do they still send you the old passport back with the corner cut off?

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• mrpon 23 Sep 2012 11:59:41 27,645 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So I went through an e-passport gate yesterday. Step 1, scan your passport, wait for the green arrow. Step 2, stand in front of a camera and (in my case) gurn, grimmace, smirk, essentially try not to laugh. The woman monitoring the bank of e-gates was having a chuckle no doubt.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous