Is now a bad time to get a PS3

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous
  • shanitee 20 Aug 2012 14:23:13 17 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    After much deliberation my other half has given me the go ahead to get a PS3 (we already have a 360, and it's taken a while to justify this purchase).

So, I'm all ready to go ahead and buy it. However, as I understand, there's a new model PS3 due to be released soon. I think Sony had some plans to announce it at Gamescom, but with stock of the existing PS3 Slim being high, they've decided to hold back.

Any thoughts as to whether I should go ahead and just get the machine now, or maybe hold out for TGS and see what Sony has planned for the new model?
  • Zomoniac 20 Aug 2012 15:20:51 7,909 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just get one now, unless you desperate want the new model. Personally I'd get one now just so you're not stuck with that fugly thing when it's all that's available.
  • mrpon 20 Aug 2012 15:22:49 29,427 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    Just get one now, unless you desperate want the new model. Personally I'd get one now just so you're not stuck with that fugly thing when it's all that's available.
    Bit harsh on his other half.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Dirtbox 20 Aug 2012 15:25:14 78,833 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's always a bad time.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• silentbob 20 Aug 2012 15:36:51 29,025 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You have to justify spending that much? Depressing.

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• Afiddes 20 Aug 2012 15:46:15 1,164 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I would get one as soon as possible before she changes her mind (my missus constantly tuts about my gaming purchases)

3DS: 5198 2465 6450

• FuzzyDuck 21 Aug 2012 00:15:54 4,718 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    It's always a bad time.
    Cheers for that nugget DB, a divine light and inspiration shining through the quagmire of the forums, as always.

I'd be more concerned about having to justify purchases to the missus, bloody hell.
  • Sid-Nice 21 Aug 2012 00:33:40 15,851 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I would hold on a few months to see what pricing structure Sony take with the imminent Wii U release. You could end up getting divorced buying a PS3 now if waiting a few months saves you 50.

NNID Sid-Nice

• neilka 21 Aug 2012 00:36:58 16,468 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Buy a 360 and squint to achieve the same effect.

BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

• Dirtbox 21 Aug 2012 01:35:12 78,833 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Buy a 10 year old PC for the same effect.

• DodgyPast 21 Aug 2012 03:36:50 8,524 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sooner rather than later is better if the PSN plus rent access to an ever growing game library thing appeals.
  • RockyMotion 21 Aug 2012 05:24:52 2,787 posts
    Seen 1 second ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The console is relatively cheap and it has plenty of awesome games. The time has never been better.
  • BAM! 21 Aug 2012 07:09:32 34 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Maybe you could put it off for 2 months and save 50 or something, but then you miss out on playing it for the next 2 months. You need to decide based on how much you value your own time.

Ignore the trolls, both consoles are great machines with large libraries of excellent games. Definitely worth owning both if you can.
  • JBlokeUK 21 Aug 2012 07:40:34 2,308 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    BAM! wrote:
    Maybe you could put it off for 2 months and save 50 or something, but then you miss out on playing it for the next 2 months. You need to decide based on how much you value your own time.

Ignore the trolls, both consoles are great machines with large libraries of excellent games. Definitely worth owning both if you can.
    It's too much to ask of the PC fanboys to realize this fact.

I like it when he's angry.

• shanitee 21 Aug 2012 13:44:37 17 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks everyone...

Already have a 360, hence having to make the case for getting a PS3 as well. Seems like 360 exclusive titles are getting a bit thinner on the ground, but there's some really interesting stuff that's PS3-only either out already (Uncharted, Journey, GoW), or being released in the next year or so (Last of Us, Beyond, The Last Guardian, etc.)

With regards the PS Plus deal, is this a limited time offer? I've heard good things about it and the offer of new titles each month (or a rotating selection at the least). I don't really play games online, so PS Plus seems a much more compelling offer than Xbox Live Gold.

Edited by shanitee at 13:45:41 21-08-2012
  • Dirtbox 21 Aug 2012 13:51:52 78,833 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Last Guardian is never going to make the PS3.

• figgis 21 Aug 2012 14:03:36 7,381 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I honestly couldn't justify a ps3 if you have a 360, two consoles are a waste of time unless you play on them a lot.
  • reddevil93 21 Aug 2012 14:21:00 11,956 posts
    Seen 45 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think there's enough exclusives on the PS3 to warrant buying it. I have both and get a decent bit of use out of them.

• kosigan 21 Aug 2012 14:25:06 474 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If you can get one now, then get one. There's always something else coming along at some point in the future and if you wait you'll not only not have a PS3 in the meantime, but it's quite possible that there'll be something else that comes up you need to spend the money on, meaning you still won't have a PS3.

In short: Do it. Do it now!
  • shanitee 21 Aug 2012 14:31:17 17 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @kosigan wise words!
  • andytheadequate 21 Aug 2012 14:37:48 8,322 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    figgis wrote:
    I honestly couldn't justify a ps3 if you have a 360, two consoles are a waste of time unless you play on them a lot.
    Same here. I can't justify owning both a PS3 and a 360. There are some good exclusives on both, but most games can be played on either.

It makes more sense to buy a Wii or upgrade your computer (or buy a handeheld) if you want a second gaming device, as at least by doing this it gives you access to more new games (and vastly different ones) to the main consoles.

Of course, each to their own though.
  • DodgyPast 21 Aug 2012 18:19:25 8,524 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The PS plus 'free' games appear then disappear. If you grab them while their available then you can keep playing them as long as you're subbed.

Edited by DodgyPast at 18:19:46 21-08-2012
  • Armoured_Bear 21 Aug 2012 18:29:32 11,720 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Troll, troll, troll.
    Sony is shit, PCs are great.
    I'm fucking boring.
    Zzzzzzzzzzzz......

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Armoured_Bear 21 Aug 2012 18:31:05 11,720 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    shanitee wrote:
    Thanks everyone...

Already have a 360, hence having to make the case for getting a PS3 as well. Seems like 360 exclusive titles are getting a bit thinner on the ground, but there's some really interesting stuff that's PS3-only either out already (Uncharted, Journey, GoW), or being released in the next year or so (Last of Us, Beyond, The Last Guardian, etc.)

With regards the PS Plus deal, is this a limited time offer? I've heard good things about it and the offer of new titles each month (or a rotating selection at the least). I don't really play games online, so PS Plus seems a much more compelling offer than Xbox Live Gold.
    Get one and get PS Plus for 3 months to try it, it's a million times better than XBL if you're not a regular online gamer.
    There are some wonderful exclusives, it's a great machine.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Mr_Sleep 21 Aug 2012 18:38:01 17,293 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    figgis wrote:
    I bought a PS3 earlier this year after having a 360 for ages. I much prefer the PS3 for the most part. The whole thing is just a bit of a smoother experience, especially getting connected to my network.

Plus, it has quite a few exclusives that are worth the investment. Saying all that, the main reason I bought it was to play Pixel Junk Eden r to death, it's probably the game I have played most in the last year (after Dark Souls), so for me it has been a worthwhile purchase.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Deleted user 21 August 2012 18:47:11
    Yes it's a bad time unless you get a stupidly cheap deal on a current slim.
  • Zerobob 21 Aug 2012 19:12:32 1,610 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm not sure if there are any offers around currently, but I'd say wait for the next bout of PS3 offers or price drops to come around and buy one.

We're still not exactly getting to the end of the current generation of consoles, and even when the next console versions arrive there's always a breaking-in period until the majority of the quality titles come through the pipeline, and possible technical issues are addressed. The good thing is at this point in a product's life cycle there are bound to be good offers around, so now is a great time to buy, if timing's what you're concerned about.

If you have a certain game in mind you desperately want to play just buy a PS3. Would you really regret such a staple purchase assuming you're into gaming? In fact, even the PS3's flexible media capabilities make it a worthwhile and value for money purchase for non-gaming media, blu-ray player and all, with a solid interface on top.
  • colinmac 21 Aug 2012 19:59:36 736 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My tuppence worth ?

I bought one recently again (had a launch one originally) to sit next to my 360. Trouble is - most games are now on both platforms, and going by the face-offs on the EG site, the 360 versions generally edge ahead, albeit slightly these days. still I'd always be saying 'man this is the slightly poorer version' ...!

Therefore, my PS3 hasn't been switched on for like, months...

Shame, cos the interface is lovely, but hey.

I'd pass on it, if I were you.

Live: Colinmac
    PSN: Colinmac
    3DS: 0946-2363-3364

• JBlokeUK 22 Aug 2012 00:21:45 2,308 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Troll, troll, troll.
    Sony is shit, PCs are great.
    I'm fucking boring.
    Zzzzzzzzzzzz......
    Brilliant.

If I didn't have a PS3 I would certainly buy one now. Good price, PS Plus is a great deal particularly with the free games that are being offered on a weekly (?) basis. Plus some good exclusives in the pipeline as already mentioned.

I like it when he's angry.

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous