3DS or 3DS XL

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • thor_hammer 19 Aug 2012 11:41:26 15 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Hi

As the title suggests I am looking at taking the plunge with a 3ds (or XL)

I am interested to know if the XL version is worth the extra 50 or so when I can pick up an original 3ds for about 120 and get a couple of extra games instead

If anyone has had playtime with both consoles what would you reccomend

The battery life is not an issue as I generally don't take handhelds with me when I am out as odd as that perhaps sounds

Thanks

Edited by thor_hammer at 11:43:26 19-08-2012
  • MatMan562 19 Aug 2012 12:25:52 2,310 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've had an original 3DS since launch and only briefly played on a 3DSXL (my mate recently bought one) but it certainly feels a lot comfier to hold. I held one in each hand to compare the screens and there wasn't a massive difference in quality, the XL was just a little more jagged, certainly not enough to bother you unless you're really against that kind of thing. The d-pad placement made it easier to use as well.

If I were to buy my first 3DS now I would go for the XL but it's not a big enough difference for me to upgrade.

This was probably of no help to you...

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• thor_hammer 19 Aug 2012 12:38:44 15 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Cheers for you input mate

I just ordered a standard one from amazon due to the lower price (129 with a game and some screen protectors the XL bundle was about 50 more) if I find it ridiculously uncomfortable or anything they can have it back (distance seling FTW!!) and I will get an XL but I decided I would sooner have an extra couple of games for the difference in price
  • Afiddes 19 Aug 2012 12:45:12 1,164 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I think that was a good choice the extra screen size is great there is no denying that but in the end the regular 3ds is more then good enough

3DS: 5198 2465 6450

• harriselhoff 19 Aug 2012 13:05:53 140 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I bought a 3ds at launch, and then traded it towards an xl when they came out, so have played a fair bit on both. Personally I much prefer the xl. I can play it for as long as I want without my hands hurting, and the larger screen is great. I've not noticed the games looking worse, although I haven't done a side by side comparison. My son has got the regular 3ds and it looks absolutely tiny now when I watch him playing!
  • Gareth 20 Aug 2012 15:51:57 5 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I have been thinking about trading mine too. How much better is the battery life on it?
  • midnight_walker 20 Aug 2012 16:01:46 1,862 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I sold my launch 3DS to a mate and went up to an XL, and I'm really happy. I haven't really noticed much difference in battery life to be honest, but I only really ever play in short bursts so I never really had a problem with the battery life of the original. It's way more comfortable and I much prefer the bigger screen. I really thought the large screen being at the same resolution would bother me, as I'm exactly the kind of person it would bother, but it really doesn't. I can't say I've really noticed a discernible negative difference (ie jaggies/blurriness) on the games I play. I mean, they are there for sure but you'll really only notice them if you're looking out for them. Also I found the 3D a lot more tolerable on the bigger screen. On the original 3DS I found that I would get shadowing after I'd been playing for a while, but I don't get that at all with the XL. And I think the sweet spot is much easier to find.

Whether or not it's worth an upgrade is a personal call. For me it was worth it, but if it's your first 3DS then definitely go for the XL.

Edited by midnight_walker at 16:04:25 20-08-2012
  • Gareth 20 Aug 2012 16:47:34 5 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm assuming you can do the system transfer to a 3DS XL still? I am very tempted mostly because of the screen size. It being portable isn't that much of an issue for me. I carry around tablets and laptops half the time anyway.
  • midnight_walker 20 Aug 2012 17:17:10 1,862 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Gareth I did a system transfer to my XL. Failed at 25ish % for some reason but then I started again and it went over fine.
  • mal 20 Aug 2012 18:14:44 22,334 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'd say the only downside the the XL is portability, and the extra money, so if you're not planning to carry it about and can afford the extra money, the the XL is the clear winner.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• caligari 20 Aug 2012 18:36:39 16,989 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've been comparing the two, and I really do find the XL's screen rather fugly.

On top of that, it looks far too much like one of those child-friendly V-Tech laptops.
  • el_pollo_diablo 20 Aug 2012 21:21:38 2,064 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've yet to try an XL but as my original 3DS combines both ugliness and uncomfort, I'd opt for the XL.
  • Raiko101 29 Aug 2012 18:21:44 6,056 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Having decided a month ago not to trade my 3DS for an XL model, I did just that today. Got myself the red and black model with NSMB2 for 93 pounds, with the trade-in. I did trade in MGS3 as well, so the deal isn't as great as it sounds. Need to get rid of my Circle Pad Pro too, which is still sitting at home as HMV don't stock it.

I already miss the sharpness of the original model. That and I know for a fact that Brightness level 4 on the original model is the same as brightness level 5 on the XL model, which might explain the slightly increased battery life.

However, i'm still happy with it. Some games do look much better. Xevious looks stunning with the 3D whacked full up. The 3D seems much stronger than usual and the ship genuinely looks like it's coming out of the screen a little, which isn't the case at all on the older model. I'm also liking how good the NES/GBA games look. Yoshi's Island in particular looks as if it had been designed for the console.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• BryanAKADJ 29 Aug 2012 19:28:21 284 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I bought a 3DS for my mom for her birthday last summer, I've recently wanted a 3DS as well now, so I think I might get myself the XL. I could just continue to borrow hers when she isn't using it but she always is now that she found out I also bought her Pokemon HeartGold last year too. So I'm just going to buy my own at some point.

Eurogamer's local Canadian member. Eh?

• BryanAKADJ 1 Sep 2012 19:59:00 284 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Just bought myself a 3DSXL for 205$US-Including shipping, so I'm pretty happy with that

• Afiddes 1 Sep 2012 20:21:10 1,164 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Are you from America? You know the 3ds's are region lOcked right? As long as you can get the games you are in for an absolute treat

3DS: 5198 2465 6450

• DFawkes 1 Sep 2012 20:25:24 22,592 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think he's Canadian. I'd imagine North America is all one region so he'll be okay :) Unless I'm wrong about this home nation.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 1 Sep 2012 20:34:44 6,654 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    xl
  • BryanAKADJ 2 Sep 2012 00:54:01 284 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yes, I'm from a small town in the middle of no where in British Columbia Canada, I got it on eBay from a guy in Alberta, so it should all be okay!
    My moms getting to far on Pokemon HeartGold >:( I must get my 3DSXL and get farther than her!
    I don't have anymore money to get any newer games yet but I still have to beat OoT, I'm lost on the Water Temple-have absolutely no idea where to go and I have no small keys or anything, and would also be fun to replay Starfox 64 3D on a larger screen.
    How was Super Mario 3D land? anyone try it out and would recommend it?
    and any other recommendations for the 3DS would be great too! :)

• Deleted user 2 September 2012 01:07:42
    @BryanAKADJ I'd recommend Mario 3D land on it as well as Resident Evil Revelations too as it looks fantastic.

Also Mario Kart!
  • mal 2 Sep 2012 03:05:54 22,334 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You can get a demo of Revelations on the e-store still, I think. Personally it didn't grab me, but then I've never got on with Resi games so I didn't expect to.

Mario Kart is easily my most played retail game, followed by OoT, Ridge Racer and the launch Ghost Recon all in close second place (none of which come close to the 200 hours I've ploughed into GBA fire emblem 2, but there you go). I've just got Bit Trip Saga which is a nice port of all the six Bit Trip Wiiware games. The new controls on a couple of them take a little getting used to, but it's a solid port otherwise and if you're looking for value for money, it's going pretty cheap at the moment.

• Raiko101 2 Sep 2012 05:17:00 6,056 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Super Mario 3D Land is a must. In my opinion, it's the best 3D Mario, after the Galaxy games.

Residen't Evil is worth the money if you are alright with your b-movie like plots.

Pullblox on the eShop is another must-have.

• BryanAKADJ 2 Sep 2012 06:12:00 284 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Thanks everyone!
    I'll go for Super Mario 3D Land, I heard about the fairly lame plot in RE: Revelations but I quite enjoyed the last Resident Evil, I'll try out the demo first if its still up. I always enjoyed a good game of Mario Kart as well!
    I'll take a look online about the other games mentioned that I haven't heard about.
    Thanks again for the recommendations

• Buenos_Estente 3 Sep 2012 09:37:18 268 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    im still debating the upgrade to XL... concerned a little by lack of sharpness but do the benefits outweigh?

3ds - 3909-7778-4988 / Xbox live - Buenos E
    PSN/NNID - Buenos1980

• Raiko101 3 Sep 2012 12:17:54 6,056 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The sharpness isn't really a problem. When I first upgraded to the XL, I was aware of the jaggies. However, once you stop looking for them you stop noticing them. It's really not that big a deal. I'd say my entire 3DS collection looks great on the bigger screen. Some games, like Zen Pinball and the 3D Classics look even better as you see the details more clearly.

The D-Pad is more comfortable to use on the XL, which is important to me as I play a lot of VC games. It's not perfect, but at least it's not at the very bottom of the console.

I can't think of much else to add, unfortunately, but I am loving the bigger screens. It's making me want to revist all my old games again.

• BryanAKADJ 3 Sep 2012 22:08:51 284 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I just bought SM3D Land for myself and NSMB2 for my mother, lost out on RE: Revelations because I'm cheap and going to get Mario Kart 7 hopefully.

• Raiko101 4 Sep 2012 00:13:55 6,056 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The online multiplayer will add some legs to Mario Kart, so you've made a great choice there. I've clocked in 84 hours on it so far.

• BryanAKADJ 4 Sep 2012 01:10:07 284 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    How good does your internet have to be to play online comfortly? Mines pretty bad, it takes me 15 hours to download 1.5 GBs. :S

• mal 4 Sep 2012 01:26:21 22,334 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've never noticed any problem with lag in MK. Well, to say that I have experienced some weirdness with people apparently avoiding a green shell then moments later turning out to have been hit with it, but the game doesn't stutter and recovers well. I've noticed lag in DOA when playing against people half way across the world, and that is more of a problem than it is in MK.

• Raiko101 4 Sep 2012 18:37:40 6,056 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've had that too, but no serious lag issues. I've been disconnected from a couple of games in the past, but wasn't aware that it was a result of things my end.

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous