Killzone : Mercenary Page 19

• Page

of 25 First / Last

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 8 Sep 2013 18:05:22 6,654 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    OMG-its-Gail-Platt wrote:
    Does it feel atmospheric, how's the AI?
    Great AI. It flanks you! It`s at least on a par with Killzone 2 and 3 from what I can remember.
  • Deleted user 8 September 2013 18:08:55
    Thanks for the feedback people.

Am I right in thinking you need 8g free for a download?
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 8 Sep 2013 18:10:42 6,654 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
  • Deleted user 8 September 2013 18:13:41
    Ah nice one. That's not too bad then.

Last question. I understand MP is 4 v 4, is the SP populated with plenty of enemies with a good variation?
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 8 Sep 2013 18:18:20 6,654 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    On the fourth mission and most of the enemies are grunts. It feels very similar to Killzone 2 and 3 in this respect.
  • Deleted user 8 September 2013 18:20:04
    Thank you sir. This would be my first Killzone so forgive my ignorance!

Thanks for the help :)
  • ElNino9 8 Sep 2013 18:20:28 13,425 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can anyone explain the hacking mini game to me? In probably being thick, but I'm on the second level and I've got 9 hacks to do in 40 seconds and it's making my piss boil.

I get the pattern is opposite on certain shapes, but other seem completely random. Put me out of my misery, guys!

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• Gregolution 8 Sep 2013 18:24:56 3,249 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Its not 4 hours long, each mission has 4 different ways to complete it and then theres multiple difficulties etc. With the wealth of options to rank up and unlock, I'd say there's huge amounts of single player mileage.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 8 Sep 2013 18:39:32 6,654 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    If you mean the doors, each pattern is made up of a few of the Patterns from the outside hexagons amalgamated. If you meant something else sorry.
  • Froggit 8 Sep 2013 18:41:05 336 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    Its not 4 hours long, each mission has 4 different ways to complete it and then theres multiple difficulties etc. With the wealth of options to rank up and unlock, I'd say there's huge amounts of single player mileage.
    This.
    I've played through the first mission 5 times now - once on recruit for a taster, once on veteran standard, then three more times on veteran doing the other contracts (stealth etc). Still need to go through again to get the intel and I'm looking forward to doing it again.
    "A playthrough" could easily take for hours but if that's all you do then you're wasting the opportunity it gives you. I've found the different contracts change things up nicely.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 8 Sep 2013 18:46:11 6,654 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Tbh, the fun for me in this game comes from learning to be fluent with aiming. At the start you really are fighting with the controls.
  • oldschoolsoviet 8 Sep 2013 18:46:37 5,478 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    Just stop for a second, and think about what you people are actually arguing about.
    I called "entitled" to antagonise folk for some complaints about a lack of checkpoint saves. Suddenly it's all fighty like Saturday night at the local with "cunt" and "bellend" thrown back. Holes get dug.

Laughable indeed.

My issue is that there's a helluva lot more wrong with this than checkpoints. A bland SP campaign of four hours with an equally rudimentary MP. Previews suggested something akin to Unit 13, small bite-size chunks with faction siding and repercussions thrown in, perhaps something utilising the portable nature/features of the Vita, other than 'swipe for melee'. Christ, randomly/procedurally generated levels or challenges to download......

Early PSP titles had more features- Syphon & SOCOM with clan functions, in-game messaging and boards, brilliant UIs, later MGS with it's Wi-Fi gathering and perma-deaths etc -and Killzone just doesn't come close. 4v4 with thee match types ?

The EG review summed it up perfectly: polished and pretty, but shallow/tired in gameplay and innovation. Competent. As if it had to be out in the Christmas run-up to shift units.

Of course, this is my opinion, and if you're enjoying it, fine.
  • Froggit 8 Sep 2013 18:47:10 336 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @ElNino9
    Unless things change after the first mission...
    Each centre piece is made up of 2 outer pieces - tap an outer then inner to remove the outer from the inner and leave one more outer shape. Repeat with this remaining shape and you're sorted for that piece.
    Admittedly it can look a bit "oh shit" when you're faced with a screen full to clear but if you can get the logic down, they're a piece of piss.
    Think my vanguard hacking on the beta has prepared me well for this as I've not failed one yet.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 8 Sep 2013 18:54:42 6,654 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    Just stop for a second, and think about what you people are actually arguing about.
    I called "entitled" to antagonise folk for some complaints about a lack of checkpoint saves. Suddenly it's all fighty like Saturday night at the local with "cunt" and "bellend" thrown back. Holes get dug.

Laughable indeed.

My issue is that there's a helluva lot more wrong with this than checkpoints. A bland SP campaign of four hours with an equally rudimentary MP. Previews suggested something akin to Unit 13, small bite-size chunks with faction siding and repercussions thrown in, perhaps something utilising the portable nature/features of the Vita, other than 'swipe for melee'. Christ, randomly/procedurally generated levels or challenges to download......

Early PSP titles had more features- Syphon & SOCOM with clan functions, in-game messaging and boards, brilliant UIs, later MGS with it's Wi-Fi gathering and perma-deaths etc -and Killzone just doesn't come close. 4v4 with thee match types ?

The EG review summed it up perfectly: polished and pretty, but shallow/tired in gameplay and innovation. Competent. As if it had to be out in the Christmas run-up to shift units.

I didn't directly call you a cunt. It's just been a while since I've been around Xbox live style teenage antagonism.
  • ElNino9 8 Sep 2013 19:28:32 13,425 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Froggit wrote:
    @ElNino9
    Unless things change after the first mission...
    Each centre piece is made up of 2 outer pieces - tap an outer then inner to remove the outer from the inner and leave one more outer shape. Repeat with this remaining shape and you're sorted for that piece.
    Admittedly it can look a bit "oh shit" when you're faced with a screen full to clear but if you can get the logic down, they're a piece of piss.
    Think my vanguard hacking on the beta has prepared me well for this as I've not failed one yet.
    I figured it out after I'd posted in frustration. Think you're right, it does look overwhelming with the timer throw in, but it is fairly simple. Cheers anyway.

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 8 Sep 2013 19:29:51 6,654 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:

'competent' pretty much sums it up for me also ftr.
  • Gregolution 8 Sep 2013 21:19:06 3,249 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So I got that free dlc. Got my credits but how do I activate double xp? How long does it last?
  • Froggit 8 Sep 2013 22:29:48 336 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Didn't even think about my double xp so not sure whether mine activated or not. Lasts 2 days so mine will have stopped now anyway.
    Helpful, I know.

Nice to see the single player alters your valour card, gives a better selection of pick ups from victims.
  • steveb07 9 Sep 2013 08:05:25 855 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Had a go of a complete round of each of the multiplayer modes last night.

The one on the Beta is still the best but that has problems when its not even team numbers. Only a minute can make all the difference.

Enjoy the free for all kill everybody mode but you need to learn the maps quick.

The middle one was also fun but I ended up on the much weaker team so the 40 kill target came too quick!

PSN: IIIQuid

• aros 9 Sep 2013 09:13:32 2,845 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    4 missions through the singleplayer now and really enjoying it. Still keep being stunned this is on a handheld.

Aiming is amazing, I think I'm probably on 90%+ hit rate on the latest missions. It's exciting to play and a world better than Resistance.

I'm not sure what the people moaning were expecting - ground breaking innovation!? Hows that going with the other big FPS'?
  • steveb07 9 Sep 2013 09:46:07 855 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Exactly, COD is the same every year why would this be different?!
    It's one of the best Vita games that most people will enjoy

• Syrette 9 Sep 2013 10:08:52 43,442 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    People complain about COD being generic too.

• steveb07 9 Sep 2013 10:10:25 855 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    But they still buy and play it every year. I work with them !

• Froggit 9 Sep 2013 12:43:26 336 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    They buy COD because they always have and they can be 97% certain of what they're going to get with the next installment. They already have their non-innovating shooter of choice so why would they swap for another?
    Most people playing the multiplayer are probably playing it at home to be fair, and given the choice between vita or console a lot of people are realistically going to go for the console game.
    Personally I love this though - it just seems to suit me and my playing habits at this moment in time, so I'm pleased its a fantastic example of what a shooter can be on the system.
    I'd give them a 10/10 for achieving what they set out to do, but probably a decent, solid 8 for what that actually was, so that's how I'd rate it overall.
  • steveb07 9 Sep 2013 13:26:20 855 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I would prefer a few more players each side like we has in Socom multiplayer. Other than that I'm loving the multiplayer. I really like the fact that even though you may have a really crap round you can still find ways to earn cash

• Flying_Pig 9 Sep 2013 13:35:22 10,982 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've been avoiding this thread over the weekend, as I didn't get a chance to play K:M until this morning.

First impressions - lovely looking game. Probably the best on the Vita. Only doing the first mission (on the middle difficulty level), but it seems very tough, although that may be because I haven't played a KZ game since #1 and don't play many FPS' so may be playing it wrong.

Now wow-ed so far (aside from the looks), but enjoying what I've played.

I do think I made a mistake by not having a silenced weapon during the first mission (my partner told me so), but like using the Mantis (?) for some silent takedowns :)
  • aros 9 Sep 2013 13:51:58 2,845 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Froggit wrote:
    They already have their non-innovating shooter of choice so why would they swap for another?
    Because COD on Vita is fucking awful. If you used Near last Christmas you would have seen dozens of new owners appear with only COD:BOD on their games lists. FPS on handheld is a big selling point and this is the best ever released without any doubt at all.

Pig - I have to redo bits a lot on normal as I'm not great at FPS but I haven't found it frustrating so far, it's a bit Guacamelee esque in learning how to approach each situation I find. The money system is true genius as it always seems you are achieving something.
  • Froggit 9 Sep 2013 13:58:24 336 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    First thing I did was whack on the ballistic armour for maximum defence and haven't found veteran too difficult on the first mission (after making it 6 and a half runs through now - another for the Intel, then half for the trophy telling you to get in the command centre without raising an alarm).
    The demolition contract was quite fun, running around like a tit knifing everyone in the face / neck / crotch.
    Probably about a year without playing an FPS before the beta, but I found that quite a good way to get back in the groove. Bit of a baptism of fire I suppose, but effective.
  • Froggit 9 Sep 2013 14:10:24 336 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    aros wrote:
    Froggit wrote:
    They already have their non-innovating shooter of choice so why would they swap for another?
    Because COD on Vita is fucking awful. If you used Near last Christmas you would have seen dozens of new owners appear with only COD:BOD on their games lists. FPS on handheld is a big selling point and this is the best ever released without any doubt at all.

Pig - I have to redo bits a lot on normal as I'm not great at FPS but I haven't found it frustrating so far, it's a bit Guacamelee esque in learning how to approach each situation I find. The money system is true genius as it always seems you are achieving something.

I wasn't comparing to other Vita shooters in that instance. Which I know is unfair, but when it comes to multiplayer at least that is what your average COD boy (which I don't mean in a disparaging way) will be doing as the choice is either COD at home, which they know and love, or this at home which they don't.

Talking of COD being shit on the vita, I think that could well have done more harm than good, which is an utter shame. All those people who might have been waiting to see how it did before going for a vita, seeing shit reviews everywhere and deciding not to bother. As much as many deride it, I think it had more potential selling power than Killzone ever will. Which is also a shame as this is a fantastic game in its own right.

/blog
  • Gregolution 9 Sep 2013 18:33:08 3,249 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    This is a very very good game. I'm enjoying every minute. With the various contracts there's a hell of single player content for my commute and then a bit of mp with my new toys when the kids go to bed and the wife is watching big sodding brother or some other sh1te on the tele.

Love how different the contracts are... Love the gameplay.... Love the unlocks and gadgets. I'm leaning more towards the sixthaxis review
  • Page

of 25 First / Last