Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Link to the site - http://www.visitproteus.com/

Post screenshots, experiences etc here.

Edited by OldCrow at 16:54:20 12-08-2012
  • Dirtbox 12 Aug 2012 16:48:09 78,209 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    How about links to what you're talking about?

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• OldCrow 12 Aug 2012 16:54:32 148 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Done, added the official site in - http://www.visitproteus.com/
  • StixxUK 12 Aug 2012 18:10:08 7,255 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Anyone actually playing this? I just had a look at their website - thought I'd give it a go if it was free, but just doesn't look like it's worth spending actual cash on...
  • mal 12 Aug 2012 20:11:48 22,560 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw4bVQm6KX4&feature=related

Edit: May contain spoilers, dunno

Edited by mal at 20:13:14 12-08-2012

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Dirtbox 12 Aug 2012 20:22:15 78,209 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Personally I think it looks like shit, but then I don't see an 8 bit 3D world, I see low resolution textures slapped on low poly mesh with shadows turned off, fog turned on, horrible particle effects and apparently nothing to do.

Edited by Dirtbox at 20:26:02 12-08-2012

• Phattso Moderator 16 Aug 2012 02:35:49 13,336 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Based on the previews and articles on this, my expectations were of some epiphanic moment of self discovery and emotional awakening. What I got was a slightly diverting curio with an interesting atmosphere.

Like Dirtbox, the rendering style doesn't look so much like an artistic choice as a technical mess. It, in a very real sense, looks like my early experiments with 3D rendering 15 years ago. But maybe I'm doing them a massive disservice here - certainly I'm not expecting id Tech 5 levels of rendering, but this is on the wrong side of retro chic for me.

I was hoping for more from the sound also - the articles to date almost described it as a Boards of Canada album that dynamically adapts to what you're doing and what you're seeing. It just seemed to me like a simple loop in the background with elements triggered on top of it based on things moving in the real world. I guess to someone that's never cut audio code they might perceive it as something more, but it fell a bit flat for me. It's effective in its own way, but not the aural soundscape my imagination was painting based on the previews.

With all that said: I haven't really given it a proper chance yet. I'm gonna try it again with headphones on and for a more extended period to try and find the state of grace the others have when playing it. Either way it has been, and will be, an interesting diversion and I don't feel robbed in any way by handing over cash for it.
  • philreeduk 30 Jan 2013 23:25:56 295 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    so this came out on steam today, has anyone picked it up? Is it any good?
  • Deleted user 31 January 2013 01:24:30
    I'll buy this game but I'm waiting till it drops right down in price.
  • UncleLou Moderator 31 Jan 2013 07:24:49 35,557 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    RPS loves it. Rarely read such an enthusiastic review.
  • Phattso Moderator 31 Jan 2013 08:06:52 13,336 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I thought RPS had an habit of gushing at anything with slightly "arty" credentials? Not surprising to me to read a review like that.

Now that it's on Mac as well, I'll revisit this alongside the new Dear Esther that I picked up last month. It will be interesting to see which of the "non-gamey game" experiences comes out stronger.
  • Blerk Moderator 31 Jan 2013 09:34:12 48,225 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I want this, but I've no idea how it'll run on my laptop.
  • Phattso Moderator 31 Jan 2013 10:10:11 13,336 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Seems there are some issues with the Mac version, at least for me (and a couple of reports on the forum). Any majesty there might be in the experience is somewhat dented by the permanent presence of the OS mouse pointer in the centre of the screen. D'oh!
  • Deleted user 31 January 2013 13:27:14
    @Blerk It'll run fine. Runs really well on mine and I know you have a slightly better machine.

Great little.... thing. Not really a game as much as a chill-out zone. I must get round to downloading the full version now it's done
  • Blerk Moderator 31 Jan 2013 13:33:45 48,225 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Now you mention it, I seem to remember having this conversation with you before. :D

I might just grab it for 6. It looks chilled, and I could use chilled right about now.
  • thedaveeyres 31 Jan 2013 13:33:48 11,070 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's a beautiful game... and I'd say it was most definitely a game. It has a beginning, a middle and an end. It's one of the purest gaming experiences I've had in a long time. Buy it. Buy it now.

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• TarickStonefire 2 Feb 2013 12:42:29 3,107 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm curious about the above post citing a beginning, middle and end. It doesn't look like a game to me, but a software experience. As far as I can see you wander around and experience different sounds created by different bit of scenery, and that's it.

I'm down with the idea of it, and it does look nice in motion, but I feel like I'd get really frustrated with the lack of anything to really do. I've seen a few videos on Giant Bomb so I already know what it looks and sounds like and, well... okay but I want to DO stuff, not just wander. I'd want there to be some kind of persistent mystery, clues, hints, things to work out Fez-style (ie that don't really interfere with the 'game' itself, but offer a side-mystery to get into if you want). And I'd love to discover caves and stuff.

Edited by TarickStonefire at 12:50:06 02-02-2013

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• Scimarad 2 Feb 2013 13:32:01 8,549 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I kind of agree. I love exploring in games, it's one of my favourite things about gaming but there's something about this that just didn't click with me. Maybe it is the almost total lack of interactivity with the environment.
  • TarickStonefire 4 Feb 2013 13:02:39 3,107 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I picked it up and have given it half an hour. My wife expressed an interest after I described it, and gave it 15 minutes of concerted effort (she's never played an FPS and couldn't get the hang on WASD for a while).

I like it more than she does, but our comments are similar: the music is pretty intrusive after a while, there's not enough relative tranquility and there's not enough realistic atmosphere.

For example, I enjoy it the most when I've got away from all those whining therminny trees and blipblopblipblop noises and am up in the clouds on a snowcapped peak where all you can hear is wind, and crickets at night. If there was a bit more of that, or an option to balance more towards that than the music, I would relax into it more. A lot of the music, ironically, doesn't really relax me that much.

I did enjoy wandering a lot more than I thought I would, but after a couple of seasons I stopped being that excited because I knew I couldn't actually cause anything to 'happen' really, or discover something genuinely intriguing.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• jellyhead 4 Feb 2013 13:09:05 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm going to pick it up especially now i've read a spoiler post that points out the interactions you can have with the various features and creatures. It's not as shallow as it seems.

I also love exploring and need something to help me calm down after an action packed time gaming. Not everyone needs every game to be full-on. Calming and pointless aside from as an experience is fine with me now and then.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• RobAnybody 18 Mar 2013 11:40:00 894 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Lovely game, quite an experience. Even Edge liked it:

http://www.edge-online.com/review/proteus-review/
  • RobAnybody 18 Mar 2013 11:42:32 894 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Post deleted
  • altras 20 Mar 2013 10:09:35 8 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It seems Proteus has won a lot of awards except the liking in Edge. I wonder what will be the next game from Ed Key and David Kanaga :)

My awesome profile in steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/altras666

• Dirtbox 1 May 2013 15:49:45 78,209 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Played through this and it's fucking shit.

If the water didn't make such an annoying noise I'd have drowned myself at the earliest convenience. I found that shift makes you walk slower, but can't for the life of me fathom why anyone would want to walk slower in this, it's already glacial.

It could be immediately fixed by adding more trees, make them taller and giving you a speeder bike, with scout troopers on other speeder bikes to kill while you're waiting for the game to draw to it's excruciatingly dull conclusion.

Edited by Dirtbox at 15:50:13 01-05-2013

• StixxUK 16 Nov 2013 18:05:12 7,255 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well, that was an hour of my life I'm never getting back.

Couldn't wait for it to be over, would be gutted if I had bought it specifically (got it as part of a Humble Bundle).
  • hypoBla5t 16 Nov 2013 21:14:17 1,416 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I found it fairly interesting, nice soundscape and whatnot, but it's not something I imagine most people would play more than once.
  • Dirtbox 16 Nov 2013 21:49:41 78,209 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Shotgun mod.

A step in the right direction.

• Zomeguy 14 Dec 2013 14:52:24 74 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    "Completed" the game in half an hour. Went to the Steam forums and was told there is "way more" content there, that I should check the guides.
    Did just that and wasted another 30 boring minutes. Avoid.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next