Wondering what to do with my old Playstation games

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Bombonera 11 Aug 2012 04:05:14 344 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've got a bunch of old PS1 games that are just taking up space in drawers, boxes and stuff around the house. Most of them have little sentimental or nostalgic value to me any more and a quick glance at ebay shows they aren't worth much money either. I was checking completed listings and a lot of them don't receive any bids at all. Some of them sell for 50p or less once in a blue moon. Also, quite a few of the games I'm looking to get rid of have damaged or cracked cases or are missing manuals. I'm wondering what to do with them though. Should I try to sell them anyway, give them to a charity shop, or just bin them?

Edited by Bombonera at 04:07:34 11-08-2012
  • asha 11 Aug 2012 04:42:02 1,991 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Don't bin them!

Why not offer them to the community?

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

• Afiddes 11 Aug 2012 05:27:20 1,164 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Write a list of what you have in either bdaggers charity or the swapsies thread and make a note that you have in the past generations one maybe you will find a new owner

3DS: 5198 2465 6450

• santashi 11 Aug 2012 08:44:28 5,044 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Charity shop would certainly be a lot better than binning them! They'll be able to raise something for a good cause, hopefully. :) Or as the others say, see if people on here would be interested in them.

Actually, didn't someone donate a huge bunch of games to a children's group a while ago? That might be a good place where kids will get enjoyment out of them.

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• Load_2.0 11 Aug 2012 08:46:01 18,861 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Microwave the lot of them for a few seconds enjoyment.
  • Triggerhappytel 11 Aug 2012 10:04:01 2,667 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    santashi wrote:
    Charity shop would certainly be a lot better than binning them! They'll be able to raise something for a good cause, hopefully. :) Or as the others say, see if people on here would be interested in them.

Actually, didn't someone donate a huge bunch of games to a children's group a while ago? That might be a good place where kids will get enjoyment out of them.
    I agree with both of these suggestions. Just don't bin them; someone will get use or enjoyment out of them.
  • Dirtbox 11 Aug 2012 10:26:36 77,461 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Frisbee.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• takosuke 22 Aug 2012 20:58:22 197 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Post deleted
  • spamdangled 22 Aug 2012 21:16:20 27,269 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Definitely go for the swapsies/bargain thread, listing what condition they're in!

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• WoodenSpoon 22 Aug 2012 21:20:58 12,275 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Rip 'em on to a big hard drive first. Otherwise you'll sell them and realise you fancy playing one of them.
  • caligari 22 Aug 2012 21:23:04 16,986 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Speaking from experience, I think that most charity shops will end up binning PS1 games. Even the vultures that are Music Magpie are not interested in the things.

I'd definitely double-check their value on Amazon before doing anything too drastic - surely you could make some kind of profit from the postage (1.99 for each game, I think), even if they all sell for a penny?
  • Deleted user 22 August 2012 21:23:47
    asha wrote:
    Don't bin them!

Why not offer them to the community?
    Sure someone will want them, and will probably pay postage for them too.
  • Cappy 22 Aug 2012 21:27:50 11,827 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Actually charity shops often throw away a depressing amount of stuff these days.

They shed the old ladies of yore pricing everything for 10p and went for much higher price points, sometimes even equalling buying the same item new, anything that doesn't sell at that price is often binned and destroyed. They'd rather trash it than sell cheap because they want to shed the grotty charity shop image.

The Sue Ryder nearby sells used DVDs at 3 each when you can buy plenty brand new in supermarkets for 2-3.
  • caligari 22 Aug 2012 21:31:43 16,986 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    Actually charity shops often throw away a depressing amount of stuff these days.

They shed the old ladies of yore pricing everything for 10p and went for much higher price points, sometimes even equalling buying the same item new, anything that doesn't sell at that price is often binned and destroyed. They'd rather trash it than sell cheap because they want to shed the grotty charity shop image.

The Sue Ryder nearby sells used DVDs at 3 each when you can buy plenty brand new in supermarkets for 2-3.
    Very true.

I help out at a local Oxfam store, and we sell most of the higher value computer games on Amazon.

Unless it's a half-interesting PS1 game (Final Fantasy, Parappa, Resi etc) then it's just not worth sticking it out in the shop.
  • ZuluHero 22 Aug 2012 22:57:43 4,018 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's a shame that most people don't realise that most PS1 games will work in a PS3. Even new slim ones.
  • Lamb 22 Aug 2012 23:14:49 472 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No one suggested donating to the library? That would be pretty impressive.

"Yeah I donated my whole collection to the library, and I put a sticker on each game saying it was donated by me and to have fun playing" :D

I didn't actually do that but most of my games are taking up a whole closet and getting no use. So realisticly I should get rid of them while they are mine to do so. No. Yes. No. I don't know. Arrrrgh...
  • takosuke 23 Aug 2012 19:17:07 197 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Huxamalay 30 Oct 2012 16:30:34 319 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    It's a shame that most people don't realise that most PS1 games will work in a PS3. Even new slim ones.
    Eh? Really?? I never knew that
  • mrpon 30 Oct 2012 16:38:30 28,416 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Shame.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• docrob 30 Oct 2012 18:36:35 289 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Huxamalay wrote:
    ZuluHero wrote:
    Eh? Really?? I never knew that
    I never knew that either! I'll be trying my old FF games in my PS3 tonight...

EDIT: Just did. FF VI works. FF VII works too. FF XII doesn't - it says that my PS3 isn't compatible with PS2 software. So it's backwards compatible for two generations ago, but not one. Which is weird. Thanks for the tip though! I've been meaning to play through VI and VII again for ages - perhaps I will get around to it now.

Edited by docrob at 18:53:01 30-10-2012
  • RobTheBuilder 30 Oct 2012 23:06:53 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have a bunch, but hopefully a few of them will be worth a bit more so holding onto them..

Raiden Project, Motor Toon GP2 especially
  • BillMurray 30 Oct 2012 23:33:25 7,605 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Make a snazzy pair of trousers.
  • Zidargh 5 Dec 2012 13:59:45 1,668 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bumping this.

I recently moved house and have just begun unpacking my belongings for which I rediscovered my PS1 games. It was only upon doing this that I both wondered what do with them and realised I had some gems.

Such gems include:

-Alundra
    -Suikoden 2
    -Vandal Hearts
    -Breath of Fire 3
    -FF7-FF9

Are these worth a lot of money? Or would I be better off giving into the sentimental hoarder in side of me and keeping them?
  • Cappy 5 Dec 2012 14:14:14 11,827 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Suikoden 2 is worth the most, they're all saleable games that will definitely sell on eBay, you could probably get 200-250 from that lot if they're complete and well looked after.

Depends if you want the games more than the money. I've sold off parts of my collection before, I've got some extremely good money out of it (far more than I paid in the first place) but you sometimes have regrets...
  • Zidargh 5 Dec 2012 14:52:20 1,668 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hmm. They all had an impact on my childhood (as in totally absorbing me) and I don't think 250 is worth selling these memories on.

I remember my dad resenting his mum (my nan) because she threw away a lot of mint condition comic books that would have been worth thousands, haha.
  • spamdangled 5 Dec 2012 14:53:53 27,269 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Afiddes wrote:
    Write a list of what you have in either bdaggers charity or the swapsies thread and make a note that you have in the past generations one maybe you will find a new owner
    This! Give them to a loving home that wants them.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• spamdangled 5 Dec 2012 14:55:56 27,269 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Zidargh wrote:
    Bumping this.

I recently moved house and have just begun unpacking my belongings for which I rediscovered my PS1 games. It was only upon doing this that I both wondered what do with them and realised I had some gems.

Such gems include:

-Alundra
    -Suikoden 2
    -Vandal Hearts
    -Breath of Fire 3
    -FF7-FF9

Are these worth a lot of money? Or would I be better off giving into the sentimental hoarder in side of me and keeping them?
    And depending on the asking price and the state of the cases, discs and manuals I could be tempted to take one of those off your hands.

• Deleted user 5 December 2012 15:03:53
    See if any are worth Ebaying or charity-threading on here.

Then fuck the rest in the bin because they are just shitty worthless paper and plastic that you don't give a fuck about any more.
  • Cappy 5 Dec 2012 15:07:24 11,827 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Zidargh wrote:
    Hmm. They all had an impact on my childhood (as in totally absorbing me) and I don't think 250 is worth selling these memories on.
    Good call! I still have all my PS1 classics, though I did reorganise a few years ago and ditched the PAL versions opting to retain the NTSC versions.

I still have every English language PS1 JRPG and SRPG aside from Master of Monsters and Beyond the Beyond which besides not being very good are obscure and too expensive to pay out for just for the sake of completion.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous