SLI/Crossfire compared to single-card setups Page 2

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next
  • superdelphinus 18 Sep 2012 18:37:26 8,011 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah no doubt it's had a great innings. Feels ready for the next gen now though, in terms of consoles
  • Dirtbox 18 Sep 2012 18:43:02 77,455 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Consoles are definitely holding everything back, but the coming generation is going to see so many developers go under that we might as well go back to rubbing sticks together for fun.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Deleted user 18 September 2012 18:45:23
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    That's interesting. I have 3000 TNT2's hooked up in a mile long sli chain that gives me 61fps in Crysis 2.
    :lol:

Genuinely can't take people who bother with sli/xfire seriously. Some folk actually use sli 680s on a 1920x1200 single display. -_-

Micro-stuttering is a motherfucker and renders sli ect pointless unless you're a bit of a cretin.

/bitchy
  • Tiiti 18 Sep 2012 19:29:55 497 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm in favour of the sli set up. Recently bought an additional 580 for sli, and went for 3x 24" dell ips screens for 5760x1200 gaming.

Every single game I have thrown at these 2 cards have doubled in fps on one monitor. Most games run full whack on three aside from your bf3 and metro. Guild Wars 2 (although more CPU bound) runs and looks amazing across all three at 60fps vsynced at full settings.

Edit: was in a rush and forgot to add that I have seen none of this apparent stutter problem out of around 15 games I have tried. These are of ssd cards though so maybe a link with sli and hdd causes it I dunno.

Edited by Tiiti at 20:07:18 18-09-2012

Father. Husband. Gamer.
    X360 | XBO | WiiU | iPad4 | iPhone 5
    PC: i7 2600k, GTX 580 Lightning (sli), SSD

• RobTheBuilder 18 Sep 2012 20:35:24 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Given that video memory copies into RAM could it be a RAM issue if you have two big cards in sli?
  • superdelphinus 18 Sep 2012 20:43:04 8,011 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What exactly is micro stuttering and how do you differentiate it from dropped frames?
  • Pinky_Floyd 18 Sep 2012 20:44:02 7,350 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    oi wrote:
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    That's interesting. I have 3000 TNT2's hooked up in a mile long sli chain that gives me 61fps in Crysis 2.

Genuinely can't take people who bother with sli/xfire seriously. Some folk actually use sli 680s on a 1920x1200 single display. -_-

Micro-stuttering is a motherfucker and renders sli ect pointless unless you're a bit of a cretin.

/bitchy
    I use 2 x gtx 670 on a 120hz 1080p display. I don't get any microstuttering at all. BF3, Witcher 2 , Metro and Sleeping Dogs eat all that GPU power for breakfast.

Seriously, no microstuttering. None. Almost unbelievable, but I could be so cretinous I am unable to notice it, as by the time my brain processes the information, I'm already thinking of fluffy bunnies and OH CRAP WHAT IS THAT GIANT BALL OF FIRE IN THE SKY??
  • Pinky_Floyd 18 Sep 2012 20:47:56 7,350 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    superdelphinus wrote:
    What exactly is micro stuttering and how do you differentiate it from dropped frames?
    Frames will usually drop when the graphics come under strain. Microstutter feels like very short pauses in the game for no apparent reason. Almost imperceptible but noticeable enough to really irritate if it happens often.

Its mostly been eliminated on newer cards and drivers though, so I wouldnt worry overly.

Edited by Pinky_Floyd at 20:51:47 18-09-2012
  • Pinky_Floyd 18 Sep 2012 20:54:28 7,350 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    To balance out my own views, the main irritations and disadvantages as far as I am concerned are heat and noise.

If you want to keep your top card coolish you may need a custom fan profile which means noise. Top card runs 10-15 hotter than the bottom card in my case.
  • Maturin 18 Sep 2012 22:32:32 2,889 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    My four year old PC originally had 2x8800GT cards running in SLI. Had no problems with stuttering and at the time was cheaper than a more powerful single card. Was very happy with the performance vs cost at the time.

Since then the machine has had both cards replaced with a single GTX460 when hat was a cheap but worthwhile upgrade. But the whole Q6600-based computer is a bit long in the tooth now and I'm going to get an Ivy Bridge based machine in November.

This time just the one card - a GTX670, but I'll put a decent enough PSU in it to cope with adding another 670 when they are cheap as chips. As I said, never had any problems running SLI.
  • TurboBailey 19 Sep 2012 04:06:56 686 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Another one is favour of SLI here. Recently upgraded to 2x GTX 570. Framerates have gone through the roof. I can actually play Batman Arkham city on DX11 Ultra now, Battlefield 3 is fantastic and silky smooth.

Regarding Micro-stutter - it a very rare anomaly that Ive only seen occasionally. Its no worse than a drop of frame rates i was getting on a Single GTX 570 in some games.
  • Deleted user 19 September 2012 06:34:25
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    oi wrote:
    RobTheBuilder wrote:

/bitchy
    I use 2 x gtx 670 on a 120hz 1080p display. I don't get any microstuttering at all. BF3, Witcher 2 , Metro and Sleeping Dogs eat all that GPU power for breakfast.

Seriously, no microstuttering. None. Almost unbelievable, but I could be so cretinous I am unable to notice it, as by the time my brain processes the information, I'm already thinking of fluffy bunnies and OH CRAP WHAT IS THAT GIANT BALL OF FIRE IN THE SKY??
    If you genuinely don't get any micro-stuttering then obviously that's a good thing. It's possible you just don't notice it or perhaps Nvidia has some voodoo magic going on. Certainly AMD cards still suffer from the problem.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Next