Is this a decent budget gaming laptop for the price? Page 2

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next
  • THFourteen 7 Aug 2012 14:42:15 32,883 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Personally i think people should be rich enough to buy a laptop AND a desktop

Mo money less problems
  • psychokitten Moderator 7 Aug 2012 14:46:05 7,794 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Stop shitting up the thread dudes

I use both a desktop and laptop for gaming, mainly the desktop. My laptop has a 335M and will run Arma II / DayZ, but not particularly well. Detail has to be turned down a lot and even still it's pretty chuggy, but playable
    But playing a game like DayZ at low fps for hours is not pleasant.

For it to run well it'd have to be considerably beefier, which is very costly in a laptop compared to desktop.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 7 Aug 2012 14:48:42 6,654 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    My laptop has a 570m gtx and it tends to shit on most games in DX9 mode at 1080p.

Love it; it's like having the best Gameboy ever. I never use it away from home though.
  • Buztafen 7 Aug 2012 15:00:27 16,073 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This looks like a fairly decent deal.

i5 3210
    6gb
    500gb HD
    Intel HD4000

Edited by Buztafen at 15:03:24 07-08-2012
  • THFourteen 7 Aug 2012 15:10:15 32,883 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    psychokitten wrote:
    I use both a desktop and laptop for gaming, mainly the desktop.
    /stealth i am rich post
  • FanBoysSuck 7 Aug 2012 15:18:26 1,453 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Buztafen Dude that's a rubbish laptop for gaming. It's only got intel graphics.

For the emperor!

• Buztafen 7 Aug 2012 15:21:18 16,073 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    :(...its got a number pad though...and bluetooth!
  • Deleted user 7 August 2012 15:23:09
    FanBoysSuck wrote:
    @Buztafen Dude that's a rubbish laptop for gaming. It's only got intel graphics.
    The intels have massively improved lately. I've got an HD3000 and can handle a fair whack of stuff at 720p - Fallout:NV and NFS:HP run at full speed in high detail. The HD4000 is supposed to be a step above that.
  • Buztafen 7 Aug 2012 15:28:48 16,073 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    \o/ Yeah! Justified!
  • wizbob 7 Aug 2012 15:31:23 769 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @psychokitten

I have a laptop with a 330M (similar enough) and an SSD; the combination of the two mean that I can play most games at a decent resolution.

Bulletstorm, Batman : Arkham Asylum, Skyrim, COD Black Ops, Crysis II and Rage all worked fine. Alan Wake worked at low resolution. Now that the Xbox360 is the dev target, the principal issue is with the controllers rather than the laptop spec. I managed with a touchpad for a while, then I got an Xbox wireless controller. I'm not sure if the issues I have now are with calibration or my own inability to play first person with twin-sticks.

At the current point in console generations, you really can get by with a laptop and no desktop. No doubt I'll have to get a desktop again if developers raise their sights.
  • FanBoysSuck 7 Aug 2012 15:36:27 1,453 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    meme wrote:
    FanBoysSuck wrote:
    The intels have massively improved lately. I've got an HD3000 and can handle a fair whack of stuff at 720p - Fallout:NV and NFS:HP run at full speed in high detail. The HD4000 is supposed to be a step above that.
    Fair enough, but they're old games. Modern games will struggle and upcoming games will be close to unplayable. Here's some benchmarks. Keep in mind that that's when they're paired with an i7, so performance will drop further with a weaker CPU.

I wouldn't decribe the performance as "decent"(as per thread title). YMMV, obviously.

Edited by FanBoysSuck at 15:39:56 07-08-2012

For the emperor!

• Buztafen 7 Aug 2012 15:40:36 16,073 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Looking at those benchmarks, around 30fps on most of those games at low to medium settings is decent enough for me, from a 1366x768 laptop.

Edited by Buztafen at 15:43:18 07-08-2012
  • Deleted user 7 August 2012 15:41:34
    I wouldn't really describe them as "old". Fair enough, you're not going to be running Skyrim at full detail anytime soon, but it's more than enough for noodling around most things prior at playable settings.

I'm not saying it's a killer card and will run everything on the planet, it's still a budget onboard, after all - was just a counterpoint to "it's intel so it's terrible". That was true in the GMA days where you couldn't even run 2004 games at a decent framerate, but it's no longer really true today.
  • Deleted user 7 August 2012 15:43:56
    Anyway, the key reason why laptop gaming often sucks is a combination of terrible manufacture bloat and brand-enforced drivers. I had to piss about and manually install drivers (fucking around with .inf files to get it to actually install and not go "OBTAIN MANUFACTURER DRIVERS, PLZ" ) for my laptop as the Dell ones available were over a year out of date.

Edited by meme at 15:44:05 07-08-2012
  • FanBoysSuck 7 Aug 2012 16:14:59 1,453 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @meme I have to disagree with you on that, 2 years in yonks in game time and playable but at low setting isn't acceptable in my eyes but fair enough if it works for you ;)

I agree that Intel have certainly stepped up over the last few years though.

Agreed on the propriatory drivers as well. Getting an update for my dad's vaio 330 was a right ballache.

Edited by FanBoysSuck at 16:16:23 07-08-2012

For the emperor!

• Deleted user 7 August 2012 16:18:56
    midnight_walker wrote:
    Do people really not think he understands the difference between a laptop and a desktop? "Hurrrrr desktops are better than laptops" is such a dumb answer to a thread specifically about gaming laptops. Maybe he doesn't have the room for a desktop (I don't), maybe he wants to hook it up to his TV every now and then (I do), maybe he doesn't want to be entirely antisocial and sit in another room to play a video game (I would not be allowed to), and so has opted for a laptop over a desktop. Yet some people act like there is no sane reason to opt for a laptop over a desktop, when in reality there are many reasons. Sure, you pay more for a laptop than a desktop but in return you get a built in screen, portability, and a load of extra space in your house. Desktop or laptop is the most basic choice you can make and you have to hope people have considered their options before asking.

It reminds me of the threads I see all the time where people ask 'can I play X game with a 360 pad' and the first page of answers is "HURRRRRRR 360 pad is teh lame! Play with mouse and keyboard dumbass!!!!!!1" As if there is no earthly reason why a human being might actually want to use a 360 pad to play a PC game.

/rant
    Fucking eh! ;)
  • Immaterial 7 Aug 2012 16:46:47 1,320 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's all about the use cases.
    /Gok

Think I'll just switch everything off.

• bodhi85uk 7 Aug 2012 17:06:04 179 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @CaptainQuint If you already know how the card fares why are you asking if it will be any good, and then calling me a smartass because I used the word 'oxymoron'?

Sounds like you're the daft bastard here. You've already gone and upped your budget, as if to confirm exactly what I said originally.

No I don't actually own a "monster rig", mighty Oracle. I have a laptop, that I do work on, and a games console for games, seeing as they look just as mediocre as a crap spec PC but with none of the fuss associated with Windows.

Kindly piss off to HotUKDeals to resume your combing of the first 100 pages for a reduced Packard Bell, "cheers" :D
  • Deleted user 7 August 2012 18:22:49
    Hahaha, it's great when folk take forum banter really seriously! I appreciate your paragraph assaults, keep up the good work.

Right, for the others in the thread, I've got a strange but serious question: taking into account the anti social/children considerations and the bang for your buck reality of laptops vs. PC towers, I'm honestly considering getting the latter and sticking it out of sight behind our large plasma which sits in the corner of the room with a decent amount of space behind it.

Does anyone do this? Just use my tv as as a permanent screen, since I'd easily be able to access the drives etc in such a position. I just need to keep things well out of the way, but not if it's just an all round bad idea.
  • orpheus 7 Aug 2012 18:24:53 994 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    midnight_walker wrote:
    Do people really not think he understands the difference between a laptop and a desktop? "Hurrrrr desktops are better than laptops" is such a dumb answer to a thread specifically about gaming laptops.

It reminds me of the threads I see all the time where people ask 'can I play X game with a 360 pad' and the first page of answers is "HURRRRRRR 360 pad is teh lame! Play with mouse and keyboard dumbass!!!!!!1" As if there is no earthly reason why a human being might actually want to use a 360 pad to play a PC game.

/rant
    There's no helping some people. Of course there are decent gaming laptops, but most of them are expensive, and for a reason. Airflow is shit, heat becomes a problem, limited overclock capacity & poor coolers, far harder to replace parts if you decide to upgrade after a year or two... the list goes on.

The problem is that you think everyone that says laptops are bad is some kind of epic-rig-nutcase. That's not the case at all (except for a minority of idiots, none of which have taken that stance in this thread).

If you want to do any actual proper gaming then you're better off buying something designed with that in mind, not shoehorned into a deliberately small frame. 'Desktop' just means 'case' and you can get some pretty nice ones, or just plain black ones to sit beside the TV or whatever. You sure as hell aren't going to play arma/etc with a fucking trackpad so you will need a keyboard & flat surface, even if its a TV dinner tray.

A laptop of that quality will run arma at a clunky/jerky sub 30fps with appalling texture quality, where a tower build for the same price will run it much more smoothly and you'll probably be able to turn a setting or two up. And you can upgrade it easily, have better overclocks, better airflow and part life, etc etc. When the only difference is form factor, what's the point of deliberately buying lower spec stuff, unless you want to carry it around with you?

People offered their advice because they've done it themselves and regretted it, and they thought they might spare the OP the trouble (and spare us another thread in a year's time when he decides it's shit and wants a better build). Ranting at people who are trying to help just gets you shit advice.

C'est la vie.

Edited by orpheus at 18:30:02 07-08-2012
  • orpheus 7 Aug 2012 18:27:56 994 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    CaptainQuint wrote:
    Right, for the others in the thread, I've got a strange but serious question: taking into account the anti social/children considerations and the bang for your buck reality of laptops vs. PC towers, I'm honestly considering getting the latter and sticking it out of sight behind our large plasma which sits in the corner of the room with a decent amount of space behind it.

Does anyone do this? Just use my tv as as a permanent screen, since I'd easily be able to access the drives etc in such a position. I just need to keep things well out of the way, but not if it's just an all round bad idea.
    This is a much better option, and perfectly feasible. Better value & much easier in the long run.
  • Lamb 7 Aug 2012 18:34:26 472 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The thing is with laptops they always cost an arm and a leg. So if I buy another one I will be fresh on my third body. :(

And they had tons of overheating problems, melting issues, bad drivers, viruses, nickel allergies, screens not working.

http://edition.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/nickel-allergy/DS00826.html
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=485929

Laptops are getting better but they still they can't go the distance though my current one has managed four years with the last year only working on external monitor. They suck when they don't work properly.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 7 Aug 2012 18:35:07 6,654 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Upgrading isn't always as easy as people think with desktops. There have been a fair few dead ends in terms of CPU MOBO architecture, types of ram etc.

Not that they don't offer greater flexibility than laptops because they obviously do, but If somebody isn't literate in PC maintenance and construction....

Just saying.
  • Deleted user 7 August 2012 18:39:13
    orpheus wrote:
    CaptainQuint wrote:

This is a much better option, and perfectly feasible. Better value & much easier in the long run.
    Piss off lad, I haven't had the opportunity to be a "spoiled brat" in over thirty years. Real world elements such as young children and a spouse who doesn't want me sitting in a corner in another room dictate my buying habits nowadays, not some fanciful ideas of a techy gamer with plenty of room to spare and no concerns of what it means to be anti social guy in another room, alone.

Keep your back handed advice to yourself.

Oh you edited that bit out, pfft. Classy.

Edited by CaptainQuint at 18:42:44 07-08-2012
  • Lamb 7 Aug 2012 18:43:14 472 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @CaptainQuint

If you want to use your plasma as a tv just check out its heat output first. The newer ones give off very little heat but the older ones are like having an extra radiatior in the room. Not bad for winter but in this weather not good at all.

Doable only you need to figure out where to to put keyboard & mouse. Maybe get a laptop stand like one from Ikea in link below. I have one of these its pretty good, though it may move slighlty. Then maybe get a keyboard with a trackpad built it. A mouse by itself is harder to deal with. Maybe get something like a hospital tray with wheels then a traditional cordless K&M setup is doable. :D

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00120818/

http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/all/keyboards-mice/keyboards-cordless

http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/all/keyboards-mice/cordless

Edited by Lamb at 19:02:04 07-08-2012
  • orpheus 7 Aug 2012 19:00:31 994 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    CaptainQuint wrote:

Keep your back handed advice to yourself.

Oh you edited that bit out, pfft. Classy.
    Yeah, I did, because it was my own kneejerk reaction to your childish attitude earlier, and at the time I felt you deserved the benefit of the doubt.

You obviously don't, however, so enjoy your ignorance and save the 'lad' comments for those under thirty. The only advice you want is advice that agrees with your opinion, so I fail to see the point of wasting any further time on you.
  • Deleted user 7 August 2012 19:06:29
    Lamb wrote:
    @CaptainQuint

If you want to use your plasma as a tv just check out its heat output first. The newer ones give off very little heat but the older ones are like having an extra radiatior in the room. Not bad for winter but in this weather not good at all.

Doable only you need to figure out where to to put keyboard & mouse. Maybe get a laptop stand like one from Ikea in link below. I have one of these its pretty good, though it may move slighlty. Then maybe get a keyboard with a trackpad built it. A mouse by itself is harder to deal with. Maybe get something like a hospital tray with wheels then a traditional cordless K&M setup is doable. :D

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00120818/

http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/all/keyboards-mice/keyboards-cordless

http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/all/keyboards-mice/cordless
    Fantastic! Thanks for going to the effort. The heat issue (and fan noise) was indeed my main concern.
  • Lamb 7 Aug 2012 19:25:25 472 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @CaptainQuint

Your welcome hope it works out for you. There are also several cordless gaming mouse mixed in here with the regular gaming mouse. I got me a Razor Naga myself but its the corded version, though the new version is available as a hybrid.

http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/all/keyboards-mice/pc-gaming-mice-mouse

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/razer-naga-epic-mmo-gaming-mouse-wired-and-wireless-17-button-programmable

Edited by Lamb at 19:57:47 07-08-2012
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Next