Is this a decent budget gaming laptop for the price?

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 4 August 2012 20:48:37
    i3 with GeForce GT 540M

And will it run DayZ on nicer settings?

Cheers.
  • Gland 4 Aug 2012 21:04:08 78,465 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The price is fine, but you aren't going to run anything on nicer settings. Unless the game is 5 or 6+ years old.

Edited by Dirtbox at 21:05:05 04-08-2012

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Deleted user 4 August 2012 21:09:25
    Okay thanks for the quick response. I thought because Arma II isn't the most graphically advanced game it might run pretty well, that's all.

But could you perhaps tell me if this is even better value: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006UCNSCE/ref=nosim/?tag=hotukdeals-21

I realise it's not an i3, but it's cheaper again and the graphics card is apparently the equivalent of what is in the Medion.

I'm looking for medium setting in games, 30+ fps.

Thanks.

Edited by CaptainQuint at 21:10:19 04-08-2012
  • Gland 4 Aug 2012 21:15:02 78,465 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's not that advanced, but the higher settings are quite a bit higher than 99% of other games out there. 100km view distances don't grow on trees.

That second laptop is good value, but the CPU is pathetic.

Edited by Dirtbox at 21:16:59 04-08-2012

• bodhi85uk 5 Aug 2012 10:47:12 179 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gaming Laptop is an oxymoron. I dont think anything around £300 in a laptop will do what you want.

In a desktop? Yes just about. In a laptop? No.

You will be very disappointed if you spend that kind of money on such a machine. But, if you spend £100-200 more on a "Gaming Laptop"... you will still be disappointed.

Caveat Emptor

Edit: found this, should give you an idea of what to expect
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ls_RYsv8EI

Edited by bodhi85uk at 10:48:50 05-08-2012
  • Deleted user 6 August 2012 20:23:51
    How is it an oxymoron you smart arse when I couldn't give two hoots about high or ultra settings on not just BF3, but Left 4 Bloody Dead either?
  • Gland 6 Aug 2012 20:34:43 78,465 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    For the reasons I gave months ago in another thread asking about gaming laptops.

http://www.eurogamer.net/forum/post/8174936

Laptop gaming is rarely a good experience.

• bodhi85uk 6 Aug 2012 20:38:51 179 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @CaptainQuint Because it won't actually play games? You, know, at a playable setting? Nothing to do with High or Ultra. Im talking 800x600, low details at sub-30fps.

Although... what do I care? Piss your money away. You clearly know more than me, oh wait, you know fuck-all, and are asking for people help. Oh dear.

Edited by bodhi85uk at 20:39:21 06-08-2012
  • Gland 6 Aug 2012 20:41:00 78,465 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well, you're talking bollocks there actually, but the games still aren't approaching the quality you paid for.

Edited by Dirtbox at 20:41:36 06-08-2012

• Deleted user 6 August 2012 20:47:18
    bodhi85uk wrote:
    @CaptainQuint Because it won't actually play games? You, know, at a playable setting? Nothing to do with High or Ultra. Im talking 800x600, low details at sub-30fps.

Although... what do I care? Piss your money away. You clearly know more than me, oh wait, you know fuck-all, and are asking for people help. Oh dear.
    Wtf you talking about you daft angry bastard - the 540M will run the lot on sub HD settings just fine and with a MINIMUM of 30fps. Check YouTube before spouting your shite here and then piss off back to your monster rig hobbyist thread, cheers :)
  • Gland 6 Aug 2012 20:49:15 78,465 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Heed my post and despair. I'm not saying it's complete shit, but it's poor enough that I'll happily avoid it.

• MisterObvious 6 Aug 2012 21:08:05 1,411 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html

Useful review site for laptop bits and bobs. I'd love to have been able to get a desktop, but Real Life dictates otherwise.

Think I'll just switch everything off.

• BigOrkWaaagh 6 Aug 2012 21:10:22 2,100 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    FYI I have a C2D laptop with a GeForce 335m that runs everything I throw at it, and the only game I've really had to heavily tinker with settings is Witcher 2. Everything else runs at mid/high settings. I've run a bunch of stuff through my TV at 1080p including the recent(ish) Space Marine and Dead Island and they ran like a dream. Right now I'm running Risen 2 on it at a step below ultra at 720p and it's running great. 1080p is a bit too much for the old dog though.

Previously midnight_walker

• Deleted user 6 August 2012 21:44:04
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Heed my post and despair. I'm not saying it's complete shit, but it's poor enough that I'll happily avoid it.
    I've since moved up to the £450ish bracket and have my eye on a couple. The reason being I have a buyer for my existing laptop.
  • dagoberto 7 Aug 2012 00:38:46 279 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My laptop is over a year old now and it cost me 300 notes new(hd6630 graphics), it plays skyrim great (stays over 30fps) at decent settings at native res (1366 768), pro evo 2012 maxed out at native res, crysis also ran fine at high with a couple settings on medium at native res.
    These days you can spend fuck all and get decent performence, my htpc i just built cost well under 300 notes and maxes out everything i have tried so far at 1080p (hd6850 graphics).
  • orpheus 7 Aug 2012 01:04:36 1,007 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    bodhi85uk wrote:
    Gaming Laptop is an oxymoron. I dont think anything around £300 in a laptop will do what you want.

In a desktop? Yes just about. In a laptop? No.

You will be very disappointed if you spend that kind of money on such a machine. But, if you spend £100-200 more on a "Gaming Laptop"... you will still be disappointed.
    QFT. If you can afford £450, spend it on a desktop. Arma2 has big draw distances, tons of foliage and is heavy on both CPU and GPU. Low-end machines won't cut it, or will leave it looking like something out of the late 90s. Don't waste your money on a laptop, you will come to regret it.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 7 Aug 2012 07:22:23 2,100 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Do people really not think he understands the difference between a laptop and a desktop? "Hurrrrr desktops are better than laptops" is such a dumb answer to a thread specifically about gaming laptops. Maybe he doesn't have the room for a desktop (I don't), maybe he wants to hook it up to his TV every now and then (I do), maybe he doesn't want to be entirely antisocial and sit in another room to play a video game (I would not be allowed to), and so has opted for a laptop over a desktop. Yet some people act like there is no sane reason to opt for a laptop over a desktop, when in reality there are many reasons. Sure, you pay more for a laptop than a desktop but in return you get a built in screen, portability, and a load of extra space in your house. Desktop or laptop is the most basic choice you can make and you have to hope people have considered their options before asking.

It reminds me of the threads I see all the time where people ask 'can I play X game with a 360 pad' and the first page of answers is "HURRRRRRR 360 pad is teh lame! Play with mouse and keyboard dumbass!!!!!!1" As if there is no earthly reason why a human being might actually want to use a 360 pad to play a PC game.

/rant

Edited by midnight_walker at 07:23:12 07-08-2012

Previously midnight_walker

• skuzzbag 7 Aug 2012 07:38:39 5,651 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thing is if it plays stuff now on low settings it soon won't play fuck all else. I found that happening after buying a £1000 laptop that is still great for everything apart from games.

The biggest issue though is the temperature that the thing will run at when playing games. You won't be able to have it on your lap which defeats the whole point.
  • THFourteen 7 Aug 2012 09:05:11 33,860 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    midnight_walker wrote:maybe he wants to hook it up to his TV every now and then (I do), maybe he doesn't want to be entirely antisocial and sit in another room to play a video game (I would not be allowed to),
    I do all these things with my desktop

:-)
  • Deleted user 7 August 2012 09:59:18
    If it'll run games ok now, it should be good enough for a year and a half ish.

Arma 2 I'd be wary of because, while it might not look the best, the engine is built natively to run on PC which means they don't need to optimise the shit out of it like console ports.

See Crysis.
  • Widge Moderator 7 Aug 2012 10:06:06 13,700 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, laptop gaming for me too, but only as an additional function rather than a sole purpose. Laptop is for portable gaming (plug in at work or on train), portable Ableton and portable media viewing. A combo of all 3 means my laptop gets a massive caning and provides vfm.

Iíll point out, I have an xps15, the Nvidia 525m is actually quite decent, but really only at the native res of 720p. I was quite happy to bang through Mass Effect 2 with everything turned on. Things like Fallout NV donít even cause the thing to bat an eyelid when you turn all the beauties on. I would consider that a budget graphics chip of the time too, the newer ones sound really good.

Iím holding off any future upgrades until I see what sort of experience Surface Pro gives me. If I can get comparable performance as this in a tablet form, I would be ecstatic. Donít see why not if Razer have the likes of Skyrim running in a tablet.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Mr-Brett 7 Aug 2012 10:26:58 12,828 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    midnight_walker wrote:
    It reminds me of the threads I see all the time where people ask 'can I play X game with a 360 pad' and the first page of answers is "HURRRRRRR 360 pad is teh lame! Play with mouse and keyboard dumbass!!!!!!1" As if there is no earthly reason why a human being might actually want to use a 360 pad to play a PC game.
    This particularly annoys me, how does it even slightly affect the kb+m die hards if someone else wants to use a controller? It doesn't. So why do they care? unknown (but probably small minded 'everyone should do what I do thinking') and is it helpful at all to the question? nope, well done knobs.

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• Gland 7 Aug 2012 14:19:26 78,465 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't think anyone is laughing are they? Quite funny that I chose your laptop for you, you wouldn't be in a position to talk on this subject otherwise.

• Gland 7 Aug 2012 14:31:48 78,465 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't see that as any reason to continue to derail the thread.

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous