Registered 5 years ago
    Mowglis just pissed they don't come in XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXL

Hush you ponce

• Deleted user 29 April 2013 12:56:14
    Joke's been done.
  • RyanDS 29 Apr 2013 12:58:32 9,268 posts
    Seen 47 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Man I remember playing Dactyl Attack in the arcades as a kid and loving it, I was genuinely sad it never developed at all.

I am really really hoping this takes off well and the front page article has got me rather excited.
  • Mr-Brett 29 Apr 2013 13:48:53 12,777 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    I think black and white opinions are the only type that are relevant here. It is all well and good saying it looks good and it would be nice if it stuck around, but unless this is a success - i.e. mass market appeal - it isn't going to get the dev support required beyond novelty mod support. Devs don't go the effort of accomodating fancy new gadgets unless it is worth their while.
    Support is being built into all the major 'off the shelf' engines which means it should be very little effort to implement into future games.
    Again that just goes back to the problem of it just being a novelty perspective instead of a new way to game. It needs to be more than a 3d TV if it wants to have a place.
    It's a 3D TV with peripheral vision and pretty accurate head tracking, plus whatever else they add in to the consumer models. HD TVs made a big difference to gaming and all they did was increase resolution.

Portable view - Never forget.

• spindizzy 29 Apr 2013 13:51:22 6,439 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mowgli, genuine question: do all the glowing reports of the immersion not sway you at all? I think from the reviews I've read, the one thing that they are absolutely clear on is that, despite the current flaws, this is worlds away from being a glorified 3DTV. Even the EG article (which is by far the most negative I've read) is very clear about that.

I personally don't think this will change gaming completely (why would it?), but I do think that we will see VR go from being basically non-existent, to being readily available to those who want it. For example, I'd be pretty staggered if both the 720 and PS4 don't support some kind of OR-type device by the end of the generation...
  • Deleted user 29 April 2013 14:20:52
    spindizzy wrote:
    Mowgli, genuine question: do all the glowing reports of the immersion not sway you at all? I think from the reviews I've read, the one thing that they are absolutely clear on is that, despite the current flaws, this is worlds away from being a glorified 3DTV. Even the EG article (which is by far the most negative I've read) is very clear about that.

I personally don't think this will change gaming completely (why would it?), but I do think that we will see VR go from being basically non-existent, to being readily available to those who want it. For example, I'd be pretty staggered if both the 720 and PS4 don't support some kind of OR-type device by the end of the generation...
    I think you misread me, it looks great. The immersion aspect is nailed down, there is no denying that. My comparisons to a 3D TV are a bit confusing because i'm not specifically referring to the 3D part. I mean that all it adds is increased immersion, a new way to see/experience your game, as opposed to a new way to control your game. And simply a new way to see your game is going to be a hard sell when it takes the form of a big ugly headset that completely dominates your vision. I think it looks fascinating and I'm very interested to see where this goes but I simply cannot see it breaking into the mainstream in the way our resident VR champion has predicted. That is basically all I'm saying.
  • Dirtbox 29 Apr 2013 15:05:34 77,750 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, it simply requires far too much dedication at this point.

It'll bubble along no doubt, but it won't hit the big time until it's less Xtreem.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• kalel 29 Apr 2013 15:06:37 87,120 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What would really be interesting is if someone like Sony or Microsoft simply bought the company.

I can see it happening to be honest.
  • Deleted user 29 April 2013 15:49:18
    You will claim that second-person plural future is the perspective it's at.
  • Dirtbox 29 Apr 2013 16:18:51 77,750 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    What would really be interesting is if someone like Sony or Microsoft simply bought the company.

I can see it happening to be honest.
    They're obviously aiming at being bought out for billions, but the industry knows as well as any reasonable headed person that until it's a less ridOculus (AHA) and more friendly package that no one aside from a few nerds will bother with it. That and no one can patent VR, only the lensing system it's using.

Edited by Dirtbox at 16:19:34 29-04-2013

• spindizzy 29 Apr 2013 16:33:02 6,439 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @mowgli Okay, fair enough.
  • Fake_Blood 29 Apr 2013 17:26:19 4,171 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The great thing right now is coming home from work and finding a new demo someone made. Today it's a space shooter called First Law.
    It starts good with the opening screen. Straight ahead you can start the game, look to the left and you see the controls. You start out with no enemies, just flying past some asteroids. x button spawns an enemy, right shoulder button locks on, right trigger shoots. My first try didn't go so well. Soon you realize that you need to look up and behind you trough the canopy to spot enemies. It is rather hard I must say, you need to roll and strafe at the same time and the 360 controller isn't helping, will try a flightstick later tonight. Managed to kill at least a couple of enemies, but with missiles :/

In case of tl;dr
  • Dirtbox 29 Apr 2013 17:48:39 77,750 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I hate to be the one to point it out, but these split screen screenshots and videos are fucking pointless.

• Deckard1 29 Apr 2013 17:53:08 27,770 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think you've got to squash your face against the screen to get the full effect.

Hush you ponce

• Dirtbox 29 Apr 2013 17:55:04 77,750 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'd be lying if I said I hadn't tried and there's a greasy nose print on you post as I type this.

FYI it doesn't work.

• Fake_Blood 29 Apr 2013 18:10:16 4,171 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's kind of hard to make/find screenshots of the demos that aren't in stereo guys.
    I'm not posting this so you would sit there all cross-eyed and shit, I think you can make out what's going on perfectly clear without the 3D effect.
  • neilka 29 Apr 2013 18:11:28 15,861 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    I'm not posting this so you would sit there all cross-eyed and shit
    Or "do a mowgli"

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• cubbymoore 29 Apr 2013 18:58:27 36,488 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    I'd be lying if I said I hadn't tried and there's a greasy nose print on you post as I type this.

FYI it doesn't work.
    It kind of works. If by work you mean fucks up your eyes.
  • neilka 30 Apr 2013 00:12:26 15,861 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've just tried the rollercoaster and now I feel very, very ill indeed.

Two thumbs up!

• silentbob 30 Apr 2013 00:18:22 28,958 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Gosh, this all got rather fun. We would have responded earlier but I was twiddling with our Rift.

Briefly: It's well sweet and shit, my wife almost vommed after 2 minutes in it and my 3 year old son fell over backwards laughing after trying the Roller Coaster demo.

Best so far: Dear Esther.

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• silentbob 30 Apr 2013 00:20:54 28,958 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Also, I have no idea why but I cannot make myself ill in this thing. The worst I've had is that feeling when you're pissed and on closing your eyes the room spins.

..but I kind of liked that. :)

• neilka 30 Apr 2013 00:26:09 15,861 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    YOU ARE THE ONE SILENTBOB

• silentbob 30 Apr 2013 00:32:18 28,958 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think, in all honesty, you're probably right.

• RightBean 30 Apr 2013 00:40:03 639 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    Also, I have no idea why but I cannot make myself ill in this thing. The worst I've had is that feeling when you're pissed and on closing your eyes the room spins.

..but I kind of liked that. :)
    Hmm that is quite a strong effect even though you didn't puke. now imagine these kids who play games all day and night without a rest, there could be health consequences to this. Also I haven't smoked weed since I was 20 and I am now 36, but I wonder what it would be liked to be completely stoned and play this, or something like LSD. There's an experience here waiting to be had. You could make a really trippy game with this actually. I reckon this could be used in torture as well.
  • silentbob 30 Apr 2013 01:29:50 28,958 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It certainly is, but it's completely in line with the kind of things you're putting your brain through. In my case these were fleeting, my wife took ages to recover.

Rift on LSD? Where's Jeff Minter and his Llamas when you need him.

• twelveways 30 Apr 2013 05:54:35 3,978 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone remember those LSD emulator games on PS1 from Japan, they were seriously fucked.
  • EMarkM 30 Apr 2013 08:08:38 3,173 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @twelveways Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter...
  • silentbob 30 Apr 2013 08:58:59 28,958 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    The great thing right now is coming home from work and finding a new demo someone made. Today it's a space shooter called First Law.
    It starts good with the opening screen. Straight ahead you can start the game, look to the left and you see the controls. You start out with no enemies, just flying past some asteroids. x button spawns an enemy, right shoulder button locks on, right trigger shoots. My first try didn't go so well. Soon you realize that you need to look up and behind you trough the canopy to spot enemies. It is rather hard I must say, you need to roll and strafe at the same time and the 360 controller isn't helping, will try a flightstick later tonight. Managed to kill at least a couple of enemies, but with missiles :/

In case of tl;dr
    This was bloody amazing - and in a completely innocuous way. I fired it up and just sat in awe looking around at the fully-realised cockpit. It felt utterly convincing .. with the possible exception that the scale was out, so you felt like a 2 year old sat in your dad's car seat. But looking down and not seeing your legs was totally unnerving.

• Deckard1 30 Apr 2013 09:11:29 27,770 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So are we actually in the future now? I thought it would feel different.

Hush you ponce

• Fake_Blood 30 Apr 2013 09:35:39 4,171 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Are we in the future yet?
    You going to ask this every morning?
  • Page

of 60 First / Last