The Oculus Rift; VR Finally comes of age? Page 31

• Page

of 56 First / Last

• silentbob 28 Apr 2013 07:17:39 28,917 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    @silentbob I guess it's bit like FSAA then.
    Oh god, there's an virtual buy emulator out, got to try that out.
    Precisely.

And yes, check out Cymatic Bruce's review of the VB emu. :)

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• Deleted user 28 April 2013 11:19:18
    Front page article sums it up quite well. It is an impressive bit of kit but ultimately just another gimmick. It doesn't change the way you control the game, only giving you an added level of immersion. An added level of immersion like you would see in a 3DS before deciding to turn the 3D off, or you would see if you were daft enough to buy a 3D TV. It looks great, but after the novelty has worn off I can't see people bothering to piss about with putting that thing on just to enhance their game slightly. Still, keen to see it improve.
  • Fake_Blood 28 Apr 2013 12:28:03 3,821 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Is this the stage where you start trolling a product, then pre-order it once it really launches, only to sell it 3 weeks later?
  • Deleted user 28 April 2013 12:28:38
    Trolling the product? Seriously, how old re you to be that sensitive.
  • Fake_Blood 28 Apr 2013 12:31:43 3,821 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's just that we've seen this happen so many times before.
  • Deleted user 28 April 2013 12:36:13
    Comment on a new gaming product on a gaming forum? Fuck me.
  • phAge 28 Apr 2013 12:43:48 24,280 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    A smart dude would start a company dedicated to producing custom made lenses for the OR for people with b0rked eyesight.
  • cubbymoore 28 Apr 2013 13:00:47 36,441 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think its biggest obstacle is what was highlighted in the article, the sickness it induces. That was what ruined those are attempts 15 years ago last time. I think if there wasn't that (or the silly faces you pull while wearing it) then it may well have had all the other issues ironed out after a few years as it would have been worthwhile investing in it. As it was people just stayed away from it as quite rightly they didn't want to do something that would make them vom.
  • Mr-Brett 28 Apr 2013 13:06:24 12,676 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Digital Foundry article is interesting, overall I got the impression that they thought it was very good but were aware of the limitations and that it's still early days.

I do tend to disagree with Lord Mowglington though :)

Portable view - Never forget.

• Fake_Blood 28 Apr 2013 14:27:30 3,821 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well the sickness part does get better fast. First time I quit after 5 minutes, now I'm doing 30 minutes easily. It depends what you do though, if you use /flymode or ride that rollercoaster demo a few times, you are going to get nauseous. Then again, if you did that stuff in real life you'd get sick too I guess. Walking around in a normal level using the 360 pad I feel like I could play as long as I want. It will be up to game developers to realize that this stuff is intense and you have to watch out what you do with the camera in the game.
  • Deleted user 28 April 2013 16:28:44
    Its biggest obstacle is as it states in the article - that it creates a sense of wonder and immersion but ultimately adds nothing in gameplay to games as they are at the moment, and that devoted players will use it for a bit for the experience then go back to 2D mode to actually play most of them. It needs games that aren't just normal games with a patch, but I don't think you can honestly expect any of the big developers to bother developing such things over making titles for the dudebros and casuals. This is, in my opinion, why it'll never revolutionise the industry or become mainstream, at least not in the foreseeable future.
  • Deleted user 28 April 2013 16:30:49
    So it's like 3D in films only slightly more impressive and more likely to induce vomiting while making you look like a massive tit.
  • Khanivor 28 Apr 2013 19:43:13 39,869 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sounds like it might work very well with the Kinect 2. Add W8 indie development and it could find a cool home on the next Xbox.
  • jonsaan 28 Apr 2013 19:50:11 25,248 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I can't help thinking these things will burn my retinas out eventually.

FCUTA!

• silentbob 28 Apr 2013 20:51:07 28,917 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    cubbymoore wrote:
    I think its biggest obstacle is what was highlighted in the article, the sickness it induces. That was what ruined those are attempts 15 years ago last time. I think if there wasn't that (or the silly faces you pull while wearing it) then it may well have had all the other issues ironed out after a few years as it would have been worthwhile investing in it. As it was people just stayed away from it as quite rightly they didn't want to do something that would make them vom.
    It actually wasn't. In fact it was the least of the issues. 3D rendering technology simply wasn't ready back in the days of Virtuality. Taping low res LCD HMDs to 486 based PCs was never going to deliver.

The issue we have now is that the rendering hardware is now ready and capable of delivering incredibly realistic images at the frame rates required to keep up with the user's brain.

The primary issue with regards to nausea is the lack of positional and translational tracking and the resulting disconnect you brain suffers when moving your head and body on axis that aren't tracked. A somewhat huge factor that was completely absent from the EG article.

Other than that? Trying TF2 and proclaiming it unsuitable for VR when Valve themselves say just that (it was a technical experiment on how to attach VR to an existing game with important experiments in IPD calibration and myriad control systems). Hawken isn't even finished yet and can only be played on the Rift via a hack.

They don't mention the Tuscany Razer Hydra demo which uses positional / motion controllers to put your hands into the VR space and is frankly a revelation in terms of gameplay (or at least control within a game). No mention of The Gallery, a recently Kickstarted game built on the Oculus Rift and the Hydra from the ground up.

In fact, as DF articles goes it felt rushed and poorly researched. The conclusions they came too were mostly sound, but the picture they painted was massively incomplete.

As DF say, Oculus at every opportunity said that this is Day 1 for VR. This means that gaming experiences are yet to evolve to completely fill this new type of 'gaming' platform.

Finally, dismissing the fact that you feel fully immersed in the game as 'not adding anything to gameplay' is to stratospherically miss the entire point of VR. It isn't a gaming peripheral, it's an entirely new way to game. In fact, some of it's strongest future offerings will probably not resemble traditional games. One of most impressive existing titles is Dear Esther for example.

Anyway, almost all the points are valid and largely just repeating everything Oculus has already said. It's just that it didn't go far enough in painting the picture beyond the 'now'. A cursory browse of our website would have allowed them to add examples of where things are already going to address some of their issues.

Bottom line, they should have got us to write it (or at the very least included us as a counter point). As a demonstration of how the traditional gaming press have a way to go in terms of knowledge in this brand new area, it serves it's purpose well enough that's for sure.

Edited by silentbob at 20:53:51 28-04-2013

• Deleted user 28 April 2013 21:35:41
    The argument is if the "beyond the now" is in the foreseeable future or not (as in, this next generation). I'd be willing to bet we'd be reaching the later part of the next gen, possibly further, before VR can become anything more than a techie and indie niche.

Incidentally, I specifically said "ultimately adds nothing in gameplay to games as they are at the moment", not "it will never add anything to gameplay" as you seem to be intimating.
  • silentbob 28 Apr 2013 22:05:18 28,917 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Unreal Engine 3+4, CryEngine, Unity, id tech all have full support right now. Check out Star Citizen, The Gallery, Among the Sleep (and rafts of others) all new titles built around the OR and a raft of others in the pipeline. iRacing, arma and of Course Valve who are actively investing resourcesin VR as a key component of their future strategy. And just look at the glorious multiplayer shooter the Eve online guys came up with in their spare time.

Within 12 months you'll have compelling VR based experiences, 18 months AAA titles with full support and by the end of the 'next gen', those platforms will either have VR platforms of their own or classed irrelevant by their failure to bother.

Sorry for misreading your post, we largely agree here except on the timings which I've addressed IMO above.

• OptimusPube 29 Apr 2013 01:41:27 2,405 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    cubbymoore wrote:
    People stayed away because the technology wasn't ready, I was fortunate enough to have a go on one of the original VR units and to be honest it was cumbersome and shit, we have the technology now and I can really see this taking off in a big way, comparing Virtual Reality to 3D on a flat screen is really fucking stupid if you ask me.

Is it supposed to be like this?

• Ka-blamo 29 Apr 2013 03:13:34 7,103 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    All the nerds in the comment section talking about their short sightedness and motion sickness lol, reminds me of the Simpson's episode when the dorks leave college campus and get nose bleeds.
  • kalel 29 Apr 2013 09:19:51 83,871 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Our take on this is that it's essentially a new and very exciting peripheral with loads of potential. We think it's important to understand the difference between a peripheral and a platform - and that's not to undermine what we think has a huge amount of potential as a peripheral - but we don't see this as something that will change gaming. We see it as another string to gaming's bow.
  • nickthegun 29 Apr 2013 09:26:55 55,848 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    Within 12 months you'll have compelling VR based experiences, 18 months AAA titles with full support and by the end of the 'next gen', those platforms will either have VR platforms of their own or classed irrelevant by their failure to bother.
    Just to confirm; are you saying that any platform that doesnt bother with VR will be irrelevant?

Edited by nickthegun at 09:27:10 29-04-2013

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• RightBean 29 Apr 2013 09:36:42 602 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I agree. It is more exciting to the minds of normal people than the traditional arcade style games are, actually being fully immersed in a 3d world - in another world completely, it's a totally different thing, this is the first step but it is still more interesting because of what it aims to be
  • Deckard1 29 Apr 2013 09:38:28 25,406 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Are we in the future yet?

Called it

• Deckard1 29 Apr 2013 09:38:37 25,406 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago

Called it

• nickthegun 29 Apr 2013 09:40:44 55,848 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RightBean wrote:
    I agree. It is more exciting to the minds of normal people than the traditional arcade style games are
    I genuinely dont think you could be more wrong.

He totally called it

• LeoliansBro 29 Apr 2013 09:40:49 41,863 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'd group it with Kinect. It's another way of doing things that I don't personally see becoming the leading option.

Glad to hear everyone's so happy with it though.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• kalel 29 Apr 2013 09:42:17 83,871 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Imagination is a great thing and there's nothing wrong with getting excited about the possibilities, but we think again there's a danger of projecting a false future on this, much like Nintendo did with the Wii.

We see this in very similar terms to motion control in fact. We think it will work brilliantly for some games and help with immersion, but we also think it's important to reign in the imagination a bit and not start claiming it to be something it will never be.
  • kalel 29 Apr 2013 09:42:56 83,871 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    I'd group it with Kinect. It's another way of doing things that I don't personally see becoming the leading option.
    Yes, you put it more eloquently than we did.
  • RightBean 29 Apr 2013 09:52:54 602 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    RightBean wrote:
    I agree. It is more exciting to the minds of normal people than the traditional arcade style games are
    I genuinely dont think you could be more wrong.
    I think, I'm talking about VR. What Oculus offers is the core component of it, but you need more, like the gloves or whatever. But nobody is going to make gloves etc when the "platform" does not exist. So Oculus is important. And yes Oculus aside, the experience of VR I think is revolutionary, the headset being a core element but not the whole thing yet - it is important that the headset exists though, it's good that the ball is finally rolling.
  • nickthegun 29 Apr 2013 09:56:39 55,848 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Im talking about VR too. We have had one VR phase, albeit 20 years ago, and 'normal people' now see it as a fad that makes you look like a mental while participating.

Until the time comes where its literally seamless and causes the user no inconvenience, the man on the street will just think its a stupid waste of time. It will gain absolutely no traction with the general public. See also: the apathy towards google glass.

Edited by nickthegun at 09:57:49 29-04-2013

He totally called it

• Page

of 56 First / Last