Virtual Reality a Reality? (Rift, Morpheus, Vive et al) Page 292

• Page

of 292 First / Last

Next
  • TheBlackDog 19 Sep 2017 20:20:13 1,046 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If it only did Dirt Rally I would be happy with my investment in a Rift, and I haven't even played the flight sims I'm interested in yet.

Echo Arena has also been great and the movement with thrusters and grabbing/launching is pretty good even in a small space.

And from reading around, there seem to be a lot of games from small devs that to me look a bit rough but which seem to attract a lot of praise and seem to be satisfying to those players playing regularly. I guess those games have very small sales compared to AAA games though.

But then, a game like Elite, if I got in to that, I don't think I'd want to play it on a screen after playing in VR.

As it seems that the hardware is going to improve, I'd think that the games and experiences should be able to improve. It really will depend on investment and what makes money, but as we know that technology improves at the rate it does, it should get better and cheaper, expanding the user base. At the same time, isn't there a chance that innovations occur on the software side that allow a decent conversion of conventional games to VR, similar to what vorp x is trying to do.

Which reminds me to try Alien Isolation in VR (I haven't played it in any format) - if modders can do that conversion (I'm assuming it works OK as it seems to get a lot of praise), then that makes owning even something as "inferior" as the Rift worthwhile.
  • Furtive_Pygmy 19 Sep 2017 20:40:34 6,273 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @TheBlackDog

Any cockpit game is going to be better in VR, there is just no going back to monitors after playing Dirt Rally or Elite on the Rift. That said Elite never clicked with me regardless of the device I played it on.

In other news, Arktika.1 is out in a few weeks from the devs behind the Metro games, I was really looking forward to it as I enjoyed those games, but it's another teleport only title, although one of those "fixed node" implementations, as with Wilson's Heart, so it may be ok.
  • Dirtbox 19 Sep 2017 21:50:37 89,196 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    A must-have game simply isn't going to happen at this point. The most successful games seem to be variations on singular themes, done in numerous combinations. Superhot for example, which is a quickfire puzzler has more or less typified the style of gameplay.

It demands too many compromises across the board to break that wall and make a game truly immersive.
  • Fake_Blood 19 Sep 2017 23:08:15 7,660 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The things I enjoyed most are Lone Echo/Arena, Google Earth VR, Space Pirate Trainer and Job Simulator/Rick and Morty vr.
    I like vr just the way it is. That's the thing today though, something doesn't have to be mainstream to be successful. You don't like it, fine, there's a million other ways to enjoy videogames.
  • Fake_Blood 19 Sep 2017 23:13:36 7,660 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ow I forgot Dirt Rally, Eagle Flight and The Climb.
    All of those games are excellent and not teleport shooters.
  • Benno 20 Sep 2017 07:59:30 11,683 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Even that VR table tennis game on Steam is the most immersive sports game i've ever played. It made me noticeably better at table tennis in real life.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/488310/Eleven_Table_Tennis_VR/
  • H1ggyLTD 20 Sep 2017 08:16:42 7,498 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I love it.
  • Furtive_Pygmy 9 Oct 2017 13:01:14 6,273 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So, Arktika.1 is out tomorrow on the Rift, it's from the team that made the Metro games. Could be good, hopefully as it's been a while since my Rift got used.
  • Furtive_Pygmy 10 Oct 2017 18:40:07 6,273 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    https://uploadvr.com/arktika-1-review/

I had doubts from the start when they said it was nodal teleportation, seems it does the game no favours. Repetitive too.

Oh well, still waiting for that awesome triple A title to land.
  • MrWonderstuff 11 Oct 2017 09:16:42 2,618 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Seems to be reviewing ok - like to know how it runs on a 970. Don't mind node teleportation if it suits the game.
  • THFourteen 11 Oct 2017 09:27:35 45,818 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago

Martin L • 10 hours ago
    The game also has some strange scaling issue. Hands/controllers are overly big, floor is several inches off making it impossible to pick up things you've dropped. And despite many reviews praising the graphics... the game is actually pretty blurry as if it's running below 1.0 supersampling.
    I expected a more polished experience, but right now it's pretty disappointing.

Folo • 13 hours ago
    The game is blurry even on the Extreme settings and the supersampling tools don't seem to work here....

Urgh

VR IS DEAD!
  • Zomoniac 11 Oct 2017 18:51:33 9,389 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oculus have annouced a $199 all in one wireless headset called Go. 1440 display, they’re saying it has some fancy new lenses for better sharpness. No word on specs or battery life though.

They’ve also made the $399 with Touch summer price drop permanent. I assume that will apply over here too.
  • Ryze 12 Oct 2017 11:45:00 3,562 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TBH, as long as it has a decent UI, and can play my own films and videos, plus Google Play etc. in a decent environment, then I'll probably get one for the train and flights at least.

Not to mention lying in bed to watch... documentaries.

I've found the phone headsets show huge promise, but the UI is too much of a mess whilst the core interface is designed around a touchscreen that I can't reach or use in VR.

In the same way that iOS had to be touch first / only in 2007, we need a VR first UI/OS to set the trend in the VR space, and I reckon this will happen in the next few years.

I've not used Steam or Oculus on a PC, so I've no idea how elegant or faffy that becomes, when moving between kb&m and VR, or when trying to do 'normal' things with the headset on, including browsing and playing videos in VR.

The cost of entry is so high, that I'm hesitant to jump in for a couple of years, but the FB device looks like something that would be so useful on the move, that it'd be hard to resist if it does video and web browsing.

Once the image quality is high enough, I reckon even reading in VR could be great, as it removes so many distractions from the outside world. It's all about the image quality and UI/UX, I'd reckon.
  • Fake_Blood 12 Oct 2017 21:08:11 7,660 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Need some advice here, good friend wants to buy vr for his son, kid is 13-14 I think. Low budget, he's talking about spending £300-400 if possible.
    My first idea was gear vr with maybe a galaxy S6?
    He liked the idea, kid needs his first smartphone anyway.

Then we got talking about psvr, and he liked that idea too, kid has been asking about getting a ps4 anyway, he only has a wii now.
    Looking at prices though the psvr route seems a bit above budget.
    It's like £450 for the headset-camera-psmove combo alone.

I haven't tried either of those two options.
    Would a galaxy S6 be too slow for a good experience?
    I'm trying to look at it from the kid's perspective too, if you're 13-14 you'd want a phone over a playstation right?

Also should mention that he asked me if I'm selling my ps4, which I was kind of planning to do if I could find a good pspro/GTs bundle.

tl;dr
    cheap vr for friends' son, how do?
    gear vr/psvr/other option?
  • Furtive_Pygmy 12 Oct 2017 21:17:56 6,273 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Nobody "needs" a smartphone.

As for VR, does the "kid" even want it? Sounds like it's the dad who does. :p

If the PSVR is above budget though then I wouldn't bother, PSVR is entry level with Rift and Vive being considerably better.
  • THFourteen 12 Oct 2017 21:31:27 45,818 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fuck knows what kids want thesedays.
  • monkman76 12 Oct 2017 22:05:27 11,669 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    "Considerably better" is clearly a matter of opinion :)
  • Fake_Blood 12 Oct 2017 22:06:45 7,660 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rift and Vive are out, I was slightly thinking about rift+gtx 1050-1060 but there isn't even a half decent pc to start off with.
  • spindizzy 13 Oct 2017 09:33:20 7,645 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm still holding off on buying a rift/vive because I presume a new generation will be announced soonish (which at least should push prices down further). I'm also very torn between getting a rift and a vive....
  • Fake_Blood 13 Oct 2017 11:11:27 7,660 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone tried bith psvr and gear vr? Is psvr worth the extra money?

And spin, I’d go for vive if you have the room to walk around, rift if not.
  • spindizzy 13 Oct 2017 11:15:11 7,645 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I do have room to walk around in... but vive is a lot more expensive isn't it?
  • THFourteen 13 Oct 2017 11:23:39 45,818 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @spindizzy

There are also the microsoft led headsets by Dell, HP, Asus etc which are yet to be reviewed.

They have much better resolution per eye (1440p vs 1080p) and no need of base stations.

But i would definitely wait for reviews on those.
  • Furtive_Pygmy 13 Oct 2017 13:26:47 6,273 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Friday the 13th flash sale on the Oculus store. Edge of Nowhere is £3.99, a steal at that price, great game.

Edited by Furtive_Pygmy at 13:53:42 13-10-2017
  • MrWonderstuff 13 Oct 2017 14:03:58 2,618 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just bought Edge of Nowehere...£3.99? Surely some mistake?
  • Furtive_Pygmy 13 Oct 2017 14:14:28 6,273 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    As said, Friday the 13th flash sale.
  • sherpa1984 20 Oct 2017 18:34:08 718 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So a couple of years into VRs life... what’s everyone’s thoughts on its state? I’ve got some money to burn on a boy’s toy and I’m looking at one of:

- new graphics card and rift
    - new graphics card and a good monitor
    - Xbox 1 X

The rift tempts me at its new price point but when I looked at the games they dont look like they’ve got much staying power (other than Elite and a couple of car sims?). Kinda worried it’ll gather dust after a couple of months...
  • Phattso 20 Oct 2017 18:38:15 21,816 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    You'd get value out of the £399 Rift costs now I'd say, but ideally you should try before you buy. There are at least a fair number of games now - staying power is relative, but there's a handful that I've got 20+ hours each out of.

Some of the bigger publishers are getting in now, too, so should be more choice.

It's worth remembering that VR software will feel obnoxiously overpriced most of the time. If you're not content paying £20+ for something that might only last you a few hours steer clear. Or make judicious use of Steam/Oculus Store refunds. :)
  • THFourteen 20 Oct 2017 18:50:09 45,818 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @sherpa1984

New graphics card and a good monitor!!

100% useful device over 75% useful PC + 25% useful headset
  • Page

of 292 First / Last

Next

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.