Virtual Reality a Reality? (Rift, Morpheus, Vive et al) Page 291

• Page

of 293 First / Last

• BOFH_UK 30 Aug 2017 10:44:28 189 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just a heads up that Star Trek Bridge Crew is down to Ł19.99 on steam for the next few days. First major drop I've seen on the PC version outside of the 20% / 25% voucher codes on Ubisoft's store. Grabbed a copy but likely won't get to try it out until after the sale ends so can't give impressions, sorry.
  • H1ggyLTD 30 Aug 2017 10:46:19 7,841 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Picked it up, nice one.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 30 Aug 2017 11:12:56 31,569 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Literally the best game ever. Ever. This isn't even internet hyperbole, there are no better games.

Okay, maybe a little hyperbole :p If you like Star Trek or spaceships it is lots of fun though.
  • H1ggyLTD 30 Aug 2017 11:15:57 7,841 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I just want show it my Dad.

He's gonna lose his mind.
  • Psychotext 30 Aug 2017 12:46:30 62,150 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Random question I know, but when do we think for the next gen of these?

2019?
  • H1ggyLTD 30 Aug 2017 12:53:02 7,841 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah.

Wireless.
  • Fake_Blood 30 Aug 2017 15:21:35 7,908 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think next year.
    Is bridge crew multiplayer only?
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 30 Aug 2017 15:29:55 31,569 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You can solo it with AI crew, which works on a technical level, but it's not the best way to play. You take the Captain's Chair and can either give orders in contextual menus, or teleport into the other roles as needed.

It's still fun, but it's still nowhere near as enjoyable as getting a bunch of real people together. Even the random community is largely fantastic, as the game is built to reward good co-operation well.
  • mrpon 30 Aug 2017 16:01:18 33,794 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just borrowed a Samsung headset to compliment my S7, what should I be downloading to impress my kids? (6yro and 3yro)
  • H1ggyLTD 30 Aug 2017 16:18:51 7,841 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If you fancy a game this weekend i'd be up for it.

Have to take it back to work for a bit soon. Though it shall return home.
  • grey_matters 30 Aug 2017 20:43:07 4,327 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Just borrowed a Samsung headset to compliment my S7, what should I be downloading to impress my kids? (6yro and 3yro)
    There are a few (not very good) dinosaur apps. Despite the quality, the dinosauriness would have won me over when I was young but kids have possibly evolved since those days.
  • mrpon 31 Aug 2017 08:05:24 33,794 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    grey_matters wrote:
    mrpon wrote:
    There are a few (not very good) dinosaur apps. Despite the quality, the dinosauriness would have won me over when I was young but kids have possibly evolved since those days.
    Cheers grey, tbh just putting the headset on alone blew them away! Just a tried a Disney Moana thing and some tame rollercoaster. They loved it, obv. Small doses etc..
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 2 Sep 2017 19:01:21 2,099 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Three people from work came over to see the Oculus this afternoon. Was amusing to watch all three of them have the exact same literal jaw-drop moment at the same point in Everest VR (yes, I know it's a rubbish "game", but it's a decent demo).
  • GuybrushThreepwood 4 Sep 2017 16:05:57 1,377 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Just tried vr on my note 4 phone (via an updated Google cardboard viewer).

Feel sick!
  • Dirtbox 19 Sep 2017 17:52:25 89,383 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm calling it.

VR has hit the end of the road in any useful way. Bethesda's upcoming VR ports seem to be disappointing, stunted versions of their original selves and with Oculus slipping behind Vive after trying to monopolise the platform, and PSVR not really managing to do anything worth bothering with, it seems like VR is going to slip back under the waves again.

So what's the big problem with it? IMO it's not being able to walk around in games, they've turned to this teleport from point to point thing and it's clunky, ugly and a sad way to deal with the nausea that came from being able to guide your way around with a controller stick. Cockpit games are still the only things that actually work, and they're no less nausea inducing at times, but that is just about it.

RIP VR?
  • GuiltySpark 19 Sep 2017 18:15:06 6,747 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    I'm calling it.

VR has hit the end of the road in any useful way. Bethesda's upcoming VR ports seem to be disappointing, stunted versions of their original selves and with Oculus slipping behind Vive after trying to monopolise the platform, and PSVR not really managing to do anything worth bothering with, it seems like VR is going to slip back under the waves again.

So what's the big problem with it? IMO it's not being able to walk around in games, they've turned to this teleport from point to point thing and it's clunky, ugly and a sad way to deal with the nausea that came from being able to guide your way around with a controller stick. Cockpit games are still the only things that actually work, and they're no less nausea inducing at times, but that is just about it.

RIP VR?
    I have no issue with teleporting. It's a compromise, sure, but it doesn't detract from the myriad things in which VR gets right.

VR is definitely the start of something for gaming. Saying "RIP" is silly for a new technology working out the kinks.

If I was getting sick every time I played then yes, definitely, but I'm not. Sucks that you are, but that's the way it is.
  • Benno 19 Sep 2017 18:16:51 11,687 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    I'm calling it.

RIP VR?

It does suffer from that, but I don't think its necessarily the end, I just think VR experiences need to find their own identity instead of just utilising existing game design. I have little interest in the Bethesda ports for this reason, and more interest in the (supposed) Valve games in the works (which I assume will be entirely built around the unique opportunities for game design that VR provides)

Edited by Benno at 18:17:24 19-09-2017
  • Phattso 19 Sep 2017 18:32:35 22,092 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It definitely suffers from nobody bothering to come up with a defining single experience you can point to and say "See? Try *that* on yer fucken monitor!"

That will come and, as Benno says, probably from Valve.

That said, I've had some of my most memorable gaming moments of all time in VR over the last year. Robo Recall embraced the teleportation and turned it into a gameplay mechanic - one of the only titles to really do that. Eagle Flight is the first game in fucking years to actually tug on my emotional core - I actually felt something unique and amazing that no other game had ever given me and it brought a literal tear to my eye. And that was in some c-list project from fucking Ubisoft.

Even just grafting VR onto traditional games (like Resi 7, Solus Project, etc. etc.) elevates it to something special.

And yeah, sure, you can hand wave and dismiss the cockpit games but I struggle to play a non-VR racer now. I know how much better it could be.

Is it something you'd recommend people pay whatever they're asking to experience? Nah, no way for now. Decent PC plus VR kit = too much. But I'm really glad I've jumped in. Not once have I had buyers remorse.
  • Furtive_Pygmy 19 Sep 2017 18:33:11 6,435 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:

RIP VR?
    Well, I'm not sure that's the main reason, but it's the main reason I don't buy a lot of games, if it's teleport only I don't buy it, simple as that. I think it's really clunky and obviously not remotely realistic. Many others feel the same on the Oculus forum.
  • Furtive_Pygmy 19 Sep 2017 18:40:49 6,435 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    It definitely suffers from nobody bothering to come up with a defining single experience you can point to and say "See? Try *that* on yer fucken monitor!"

That will come and, as Benno says, probably from Valve.
    You're right, that big must have VR game hasn't happened yet and yeah it will probably be by Valve if it does happen. Something from the Half Life/Portal universe would be utterly amazing, but I don't think that's what they're working on.

Either way, it should look amazing if the Portal robot section in The Lab is anything to go by, they tech they used somehow made the level of detail look much better than the relatively low res headset lenses allow.
  • Fake_Blood 19 Sep 2017 19:19:52 7,908 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think Lone Echo comes close as a killer app for vr.
  • Furtive_Pygmy 19 Sep 2017 19:29:01 6,435 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Lone Echo was good but it just lacked something, when you look back after completing the game, not a lot really happened.
  • Fake_Blood 19 Sep 2017 19:34:12 7,908 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is why I said "close" :D
    But deff something you couldn't do without vr. Or you could but it wouldn't have the same impact at all.
  • Furtive_Pygmy 19 Sep 2017 19:54:41 6,435 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Crazy thing is I still think one of the best experiences I've had on the Rift is The Solus Project, and that wasn't even made for VR.
  • RyanDS 19 Sep 2017 19:59:22 11,669 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Where is this stuff about the Bethesda games? I heard only good things about Skyrim so hope this isn't true.
  • Page

of 293 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.