Virtual Reality a Reality? (Rift, Morpheus, Vive et al) Page 290

• Page

of 292 First / Last

• Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Aug 2017 15:00:29 1,675 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @TheBlackDog I think it mostly comes down to "do you have space to spin around in an office-chair with your arms outstretched?" I just about have space for this and it's been fine for me. My sense is that the VR scene is shifting much more towards standing/seated experiences rather than full-room anyway.
  • Phattso 10 Aug 2017 15:16:24 21,816 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Shifting towards? It had barely shifted from, really.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Aug 2017 15:19:35 1,675 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Phattso There was a rash of full-room stuff when the Vive launched. But yeah, I haven't seen much since. Having just bought an Oculus myself last week, I was browing the VR new releases on Steam and I think pretty much the whole of the first 3 pages (didn't look further) was for seated/standing play rather than full-room.
  • Phattso 10 Aug 2017 15:24:38 21,816 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, but even the stuff with room scale aspirations (on Rift especially) basically boils down to standing facing forward and then just twisting from the waist. Shit for the experience vs. 'proper' Vive-esque roaming, but great for restricted spaces. :)
  • THFourteen 10 Aug 2017 15:43:39 45,818 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's shifting towards ebay.
  • Phattso 10 Aug 2017 15:46:01 21,816 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    My Vive is, that's for sure. Moving to a place with smaller spare rooms. :-(

No more room scale for me. It's annoying now, but next year when Valve release their VR games and I can't play... it's going to be agonising. :(
  • TheBlackDog 10 Aug 2017 16:12:18 1,046 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Rogueywon :D no, I don't have the luxury of being able to spin around in my chair anymore.

@Phattso what's Eagle Flight - are you a fan or being sarcastic ? Looking on the Steam store it doesn't seem to rate that well and it's £35 (I think I'd have a hard time paying those kind of prices to play some of the VR titles). Hope they have decent sales.
  • THFourteen 10 Aug 2017 16:14:26 45,818 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @TheBlackDog

VR games are expensive for what you get. One of the reasons I sold my Rift.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Aug 2017 16:15:55 1,675 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @TheBlackDog Most of the moderately-good made-for-VR games at the moment do seem to be on the expensive side, I'm afraid, given that they are mostly rail-shooters and the like. I decided to splash out on one of them and picked up Archangel, which is a decent enough rail-shooter and a very good demo for VR, but certainly cost more than I would normally be prepared to spend on a game like that.

You do have the not-made-for-VR games which have had VR support added. These tend to be a) better games and b) more reasonably priced, but I've also found their VR implementations a bit less robust, for the most part.

Then you have the cheapo made-for-VR games which seem to exist basically as practical jokes to see how quickly they can make you puke your guts out.
  • Phattso 10 Aug 2017 16:27:09 21,816 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, proper "AAA" VR isn't for tight-wads like THFourteen. ;)

Eagle Flight is one of my favourite ever VR games. Put a good 30 hours into it, and still dip in and out. Pricey, sure, but that's par for the course in VR with such a small user base. I wasn't being sarcastic, I'm just on a one-man mission to get everyone to buy it.

Wait for a sale, nab it then. It's awesome.
  • Technoishmatt 10 Aug 2017 19:18:08 1,955 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Lone echo is great, btw. Taking it really slowly. Loved the way it gave me time at the start to take in the view!
  • neems 10 Aug 2017 19:21:17 3,436 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah Eagle Flight is great, although i doubt you'd get an online match now.
  • Phattso 10 Aug 2017 19:49:26 21,816 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah. Even at launch it was tough. Too many tightwads. ;-)

I'm sure we could get an EG posse together to enable a few games for some fresh blood.
  • H1ggyLTD 10 Aug 2017 21:19:52 7,498 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rick and Morty is 25% off on Steam.
  • TheBlackDog 13 Aug 2017 22:10:03 1,046 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Finally pulled the trigger on the Rift Touch bundle for £399 - I'm still not sure what I've bought but that's the point I guess. I've never tried VR or even one of those Samsung Gear VR headsets so I decided it's worth it just to try it. Plus I'm hoping it will wow my non-gaming other half.

Like I said, I've been such a big fan of Rez over the years that also pushed me in to it. And already having a capable PC helped, as I wouldn't have done it if I'd had to upgrade the GPU at the same time.

Talking of which, I hope I can assume that the 1080 should provide a decent experience and see me through the rest of this gen.

Just been reading up on the pros and cons of which platform to buy stuff on, and nearly bought Rez on Oculus home as it was slightly cheaper. But I think I need it on Steam just in case I ever want to play it on a screen.

In general, is buying on Steam the way to go? It didn't seem cut and dry front the few threads I stumbled upon and it seems that there have been updates to SteamVR or something.
  • Phattso 13 Aug 2017 22:16:12 21,816 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    A 1080 is more than enough. Entry level a year ago was 970 but a lot of smart work on drivers and techniques has been completed since then so it runs well on even older/slower hardware now.

I tend to buy on Steam when I can. Oculus Store for exclusives.
  • Fake_Blood 13 Aug 2017 23:07:34 7,660 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Indeed, a 1080 has plenty of power to run everything out there.
    I also try to buy most stuff on steam, because in the long run i will probably end up buying the next iteration of the vive.
    Also, been playing Rez every night since I got it.

Phattso, did you try that Rick and Morty thing?
    i want to get it, but I heard you need a lot of room to move around?
  • Phattso 14 Aug 2017 06:54:13 21,816 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm moving again soon and the new house doesn't really have space for room scale stuff so the Vive is packed away ready for eBay. :-(
  • TheBlackDog 17 Aug 2017 13:03:16 1,046 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Holy shit ! I've had the Rift for 2 days and only just set it up this morning.

Having only experienced the First Contact intro app I am shocked at how good it is, particularly how well it renders spatial depth (I moved closer to the thing that you put the diskettes in to and looked down in to the glass and it rendered the shift in perspective incredibly well I thought).

Shame I have to go out for the day but I should have a full day to play around tomorrow.

Rating so far: should have tried it sooner/10.
  • superdelphinus 17 Aug 2017 13:41:48 9,409 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The first contact app has been the peak for me so far, to be honest. Though I've not actually bought any proper vr games yet.
  • Fake_Blood 17 Aug 2017 13:51:29 7,660 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Google Earth is free and awesome, especially if you want to show vr to non gaming friends.
  • Furtive_Pygmy 17 Aug 2017 14:05:32 6,273 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @superdelphinus

Get Lone Echo mate, it will blow your socks off.
  • THFourteen 17 Aug 2017 14:18:44 45,818 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Super

Hot

Super

Hot
  • TheBlackDog 18 Aug 2017 18:28:30 1,046 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    superdelphinus wrote:
    The first contact app has been the peak for me so far
    :D I thought I was going to get the piss taken out of me for gushing over how good Oculus is after only having played the intro demo app ! Hope you find some VR experiences to beat First Contact.

I've had an hour on two of the games that I've enjoyed the most over the years.

Rez just felt so natural in VR that at first I didn't consciously remember how different it was from the non-VR version because that game just used to space me out anyway.

Dirt Rally on the other hand seemed like a game changer - I played that a lot on triple screens and I couldn't imagine how different it would be in VR. It's undoubtedly a better driving experience but the level of detail seems to be increased somehow, like there was a load of visuals that you'd never get to see in non-VR even if you stopped and pootled along. I noticed some water pumps irrigating in Greece and then I started sunday-driving to take it all in.

Another thing I feel about Dirt Rally VR is that I really noticed the power of the modern cars, like the Polo, which I didn't really get before.

Question: I started Dirt Rally in Steam from my desktop using mouse, thinking I could go in as normal (using my screen) but it asked me to put the headset on. When I exited, it brought me to Oculus Home, not Steam. So why didn't I get a choice to start DR in normal screen mode and did I play it in Oculus or Steam VR ?

Still a bit confused about things but so far it's been pretty much hassle free. Need to figure out how to get super-sampling working too.

Edited by TheBlackDog at 18:31:00 18-08-2017
  • Fake_Blood 18 Aug 2017 18:42:53 7,660 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you run steam vr, the oculus app opens automatically.
  • TheBlackDog 26 Aug 2017 16:13:27 1,046 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just had my first wow/near-vomit moment with the Aircar demo that I found on the Oculus store - as far as I know there isn't a game yet, just the demo.

I haven't played any flight type games yet but as this is set in a Blade Runner type world, I loved just flying around the city. The in-game music is a great fit too - could easily imagine it featuring on the Blade Runner OST.

The demo itself is quite limited but you can fly with full six degrees of freedom so yaw is on the left stick and roll and pitch are on the right stick. The thing it does really well is provide a great cockpit and perspective - when you get the hang of using yaw and pitch/roll together, being able to do all sorts of spiralling turns around the skyscrapers while looking out of the windows to the side or above your head can induce a really queazy feeling. Not sure if thats a good thing but very impressive.

Now I'm thinking that someone must be developing VR Wipeout that has a bit more freedom to go off the track.
  • Furtive_Pygmy 26 Aug 2017 17:11:29 6,273 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @TheBlackDog

Played that last week, it's pretty good on a technical level. Sure I heard the guy/team intend making a full game from it.
  • Fake_Blood 26 Aug 2017 20:48:49 7,660 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you like flying around I can recommend Omega Agent by Fireproof games, that's the guys that made The Room which was kind of a big deal on ipad/iphone. Anyhow, you fly around in a jetpack thing, some missions are a bit pilotwings style fly through rings stuff, there's some actual shooty missions and there's a free roaming mode where you can fly around the island where you can collect briefcases to unlock more stuff. And I see the price has dropped to €2,99.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/823601671084484/

Also, is it me or has the Vive now dropped in price too?
  • Furtive_Pygmy 26 Aug 2017 21:05:42 6,273 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yes the Vive has dropped to £600, still very high compared to the Rift deal that is still available.
  • Fake_Blood 26 Aug 2017 21:28:46 7,660 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I wouldn't be surprised if there was some new stuff coming out early 2018 from both camps.
  • Page

of 292 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.