• Deckard1 3 Apr 2013 13:59:53 25,414 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah that comes next.

Called it

• Ka-blamo 3 Apr 2013 14:03:45 7,109 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Let's stop ruining Bob's thread now lol, New page. Fresh start.
  • Rhythm 3 Apr 2013 14:13:59 2,375 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @silentbob Going forward are they likely to up the res to at least 7" 1080p? With phones getting 5" 1080p screens it doesn't seem amazingly unfeasible.

Some parallax tracking would be nice too. Should be easily doable with a basic external webcam.
  • silentbob 3 Apr 2013 15:25:00 28,918 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yup. 1080p at minimum with higher pixel fill rate and faster pixel switching. OLED ideally.

Positional tracking is a 'requirement' to tackle nausea and add awesomeness.

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• Rhythm 3 Apr 2013 15:32:30 2,375 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hmm, if my Samsung phone is anything to go by I sincerely hope they avoid OLED (or that OLED improves a *lot*)

The PSeye did positional tracking really well via face-tracking, and very cheaply. Using AR-esque trackers on the OR kit should make it fairly trivial
  • mal 3 Apr 2013 15:45:30 21,971 posts
    Seen 33 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There was a guy developing a headset covered in LEDs that a static webcam could spot and from that infer position in 3d and rotatation along a further 3 axes. Pretty sure it was linked in this thread, but I can't find it.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• silentbob 3 Apr 2013 15:54:30 28,918 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Rhythm wrote:
    Hmm, if my Samsung phone is anything to go by I sincerely hope they avoid OLED (or that OLED improves a *lot*)

The PSeye did positional tracking really well via face-tracking, and very cheaply. Using AR-esque trackers on the OR kit should make it fairly trivial
    That's AMOLED and sucks donkey balls! Real OLED FTW (mostly).

• sport 3 Apr 2013 16:02:14 12,046 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    For me, true VR only starts when you get one of these.
  • mal 3 Apr 2013 16:06:07 21,971 posts
    Seen 33 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    AMOLED minus the TFT active matrix just leaves you with passively addressed OLED. It's like old dual scan LCDs versus TFT LCDs back in the day - I can't see how externally addressed OLEDs would be any better.

Or perhaps you're missing a smiley? ;)

• Rhythm 3 Apr 2013 16:11:10 2,375 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    Rhythm wrote:

Does "real" OLED address the black crush issue or is that purely a Samsung software/kernel issue?
  • mal 3 Apr 2013 16:32:23 21,971 posts
    Seen 33 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Not heard of black crush before, but a quick google suggests to me its an artifact of the aging of the organic element, so a fundamental property of OLED, at least at present.

• mrpon 3 Apr 2013 16:53:45 27,645 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lexx in 5...4...

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• kalel 3 Apr 2013 17:14:25 83,875 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Read OLED is AMOLED I think. The difference is that it's RGB instead of WRGB.

The opposite of AMOLED is PMOLED (passive, not active), and that's proper shit old tech.
  • silentbob 3 Apr 2013 23:06:06 28,918 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mal wrote:
    silentbob wrote:
    AMOLED minus the TFT active matrix just leaves you with passively addressed OLED. It's like old dual scan LCDs versus TFT LCDs back in the day - I can't see how externally addressed OLEDs would be any better.

Or perhaps you're missing a smiley? ;)
    Just lazy, mainly because if I'd said 'AMOLED displays using Pen-tile matrix FTL' it'd have been another 3 posts. Can't stand them even at a distance, imagine them blown up all in ya face!

• silentbob 3 Apr 2013 23:08:50 28,918 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mal wrote:
    Not heard of black crush before, but a quick google suggests to me its an artifact of the aging of the organic element, so a fundamental property of OLED, at least at present.
    Black crush is an ancient AV term describing the loss of shadow detail in dark scenes. It's all about resolution of detail in low light / contrasty images.

• mal 4 Apr 2013 00:21:10 21,971 posts
    Seen 33 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Must admit, that's my main complaint about DVD resolution on my CRT TV - I can see the blocky artifacts in all the shadow detail. But maybe that's just me.

• Rhythm 4 Apr 2013 09:31:13 2,375 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    mal wrote:
    Black crush is an ancient AV term describing the loss of shadow detail in dark scenes. It's all about resolution of detail in low light / contrasty images.
    Black crush on OLED happens when the screen's not calibrated to process blacks correctly. Disconcerting to see a screen go from *perfect* black to a mid grey with no gradients in between.

This video shows off just how badly OLED screens can be calibrated:

Linky

I'd thought, given how widespread the issues I've seen were, that this was inherent to OLED but it seems it's just a shitty Samsung calibration issue - the other screen in the video is also an OLED, also Samsung

So forget what I said earlier. Maybe, if OLED can work at the required low latency, it'll be just fine :-)
  • silentbob 4 Apr 2013 13:07:13 28,918 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's not necessarily a calibration issue and it isn't limited to OLED displays. Any display unable to resolve shadow detail (greyscales) can be described as exhibiting 'Black Crush'. Not all OLED panels will be created equally, I would imagine some will be better at resolving than others, taking into account any controller / video processing in the signal path.

• kalel 4 Apr 2013 13:08:47 83,875 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    "Real OLED" btw is marketing jargon by Samsung. These screens are still AMOLED.
  • sport 4 Apr 2013 13:15:35 12,046 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PMLOLED
  • Rhythm 4 Apr 2013 13:22:10 2,375 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    It's not necessarily a calibration issue and it isn't limited to OLED displays. Any display unable to resolve shadow detail (greyscales) can be described as exhibiting 'Black Crush'. Not all OLED panels will be created equally, I would imagine some will be better at resolving than others, taking into account any controller / video processing in the signal path.
    I don't even think this falls into the classic "crush" definition, the screen can display the tones, it's just been calibrated to resolve anything above "0" as, say, "15", rather than ramping gradually up

Anyway, all moot, upshot is I've only dealt with shitty OLEDs :-)
  • neilka 4 Apr 2013 13:44:50 14,942 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rhythm, can you confirm the widespread rumours that you are, in fact, a dancer?
  • Deckard1 4 Apr 2013 13:46:46 25,414 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Can we feel you in the air at all?

Called it

• silentbob 4 Apr 2013 14:31:48 28,918 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    "Real OLED" btw is marketing jargon by Samsung. These screens are still AMOLED.
    No, Super AMOLED is Samsung marketing jargon. As explained, I only said 'real' OLED to mean 'OLED without Pentile'.

• LeoliansBro 4 Apr 2013 14:35:46 41,865 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think this particular Rhythm is the one of the night.

Also you guys are really boring.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Mr-Brett 4 Apr 2013 14:53:37 12,676 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So, that Oculus Rift eh? looks pretty snazzy.

Portable view - Never forget.

• Fake_Blood 4 Apr 2013 15:16:17 3,834 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago

Just in case someone has 45 minutes to kill.
  • Roddles 4 Apr 2013 15:49:08 1,432 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Looks fucking uncomfortable.
  • Page

of 56 First / Last