The Oculus Rift; VR Finally comes of age? Page 17

• Page

of 56 First / Last

• Lukus 6 Sep 2012 11:54:51 18,955 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    Lukus wrote:
    I'll laugh so hard when rift makes you vomit.
    OK. And why would that be?
    Because you are borderline obsessed with it and in your write up of the Eurogamer feature you've basically decided they're being contrary for the sake of it. It's ridiculous. You've already decided it's the best thing ever without trying it. Someone who has tried it who mentions the nausea problem and you're all "meh, that's just EG seeking hits". You are to Rift what Ecosse is to Nintendo.

As such, I think it would be quite humorous if, when you finally get to use the thing you spend 24 hours a day thinking about, it made you want to be sick.

Edited by Lukus at 11:57:16 06-09-2012

Paintings & Photographs

• Deleted user 6 September 2012 11:57:28
    He's a greasy paedo?
  • Lukus 6 Sep 2012 11:58:27 18,955 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    :D

Paintings & Photographs

• Deckard1 6 Sep 2012 11:58:58 25,414 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm kind of hoping it melts to his head so he can never take it off. Oh the ironing.

Called it

• ram 6 Sep 2012 12:07:24 3,466 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Apparently it's so immersive, when you take the thing off and find your flat/kids/Chiwawa/Mother-in-law covered with your vom you have no idea who caused the disgusting tsunami of stomach gunk.
  • octo 6 Sep 2012 12:29:00 979 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As the reviewer mentions it could be a major drawback with the technology. I remember when DLP was launched. Some people were (and still are) susceptible to the 'rainbow' effect. Likewise the 3DS - some people use it with one of the major technology draws set to 'off'. Also as mentioned some people suffer with FPS motion sickness. I can understand why that might be amplified in a VR headset.
  • Phattso Moderator 6 Sep 2012 12:46:22 12,725 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Some of you are gonna look preeeetty stupid when the governments of the Earth unite to mandate that all humans must spend at least one hour a day inside the Rift.

Then we'll see who is laughing on the other side of their arse! Oh yes.
  • Tonka 6 Sep 2012 13:24:21 19,840 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I thought the biggest problem with these things is the fact that you are focusing very close to your face yet are still trying to see something far away at the same time.

I don't think this will work.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• silentbob 6 Sep 2012 16:32:59 28,918 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    silentbob wrote:
    Lukus wrote:
    I'll laugh so hard when rift makes you vomit.
    OK. And why would that be?
    Because you are borderline obsessed with it and in your write up of the Eurogamer feature you've basically decided they're being contrary for the sake of it. It's ridiculous. You've already decided it's the best thing ever without trying it. Someone who has tried it who mentions the nausea problem and you're all "meh, that's just EG seeking hits". You are to Rift what Ecosse is to Nintendo.

As such, I think it would be quite humorous if, when you finally get to use the thing you spend 24 hours a day thinking about, it made you want to be sick.
    I see.

I won't deny I wrote the thing with a deliberately 'teasy' slant (but teasing was the extent of it). The level of issues Jeffrey had was in fairly stark contrast to the vast majority of other write-ups (including EG's own E3 impressions). So, forgive me if I felt the need to address the tone of the article. I felt it was needed and I think I justified my point of view. Besides, I agreed with the point he was labouring - I'd even wrote about the issue before on the same website.

I have a feeling that Jeffrey would have a bigger problem with the comparisons of his appearance to that of a sex pest, as opposed to an article which merely illustrates a particular point of view. Nah, that's just 'banter' after all.

I do find it somewhat galling too that you (along with others) are somehow perfectly allowed to spend large portions of this thread trying to pull the rug out from underneath my feet, despite most of the time having not a leg to stand on and a large proportion of the posts being borderline abusive (despite being wrong over and over again). I've answered questions civilly and to my knowledge never once said anything to warrant the tone of some of the comments.

For that reason, and the fact that I keep my obsession restricted to this thread (and even created a website as an outlet), I find the comparisons to ecosse at best inaccurate. And as it's not really based on the content of any of my posts in here (other than perhaps the sheer number of them), it seems to be purely that I'm passionate (and yes, admittedly, not a small amount mental) over the prospect of this thing. I can see how that would grate, but still, give it a rest people yeah!?

Anyway, sorry that my article offended, perhaps I'll revisit tonight to see if I can tone it down a bit (if I really do see something that needs it). I have to admit the opening line, which was actually supposed to be a compliment, does come accross a trifle flippant.

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• Lukus 6 Sep 2012 18:02:50 18,955 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No one's been as nasty as you're implying you big girl :p. Ok, no one wants to be compared to Ecosse, but aside from that.

This thread needs vocal critiques of Rift. The yang to your ying. There's nothing wrong with opposing viewpoints or expectations.

I think it has huge potential, I'm excited by it, genuinely, but I'm not going to bury my head in the sand over its possible negative aspects, let alone question the legitimacy of the opinions of someone who has actually used it simply because one part of their experience was quite negative.

Paintings & Photographs

• mal 6 Sep 2012 18:26:04 21,983 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    I thought the biggest problem with these things is the fact that you are focusing very close to your face yet are still trying to see something far away at the same time.

Can you focus on your hand when it's two inches in front of your face? If you can, get yourself to an opticians - you're extremely short-sighted.

Of course it doesn't work like that. The many of the earliest stereoscopic viewers had convex lenses in which work to both enlarge the image and put it further away from the viewer. Most modern examples put the image at infinity, allowing the lenses in your eyes to completely relax to view.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Fake_Blood 6 Sep 2012 18:29:31 3,836 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Tonka wrote:

Actually, you focus on infinity thanks to the lenses.
  • silentbob 6 Sep 2012 18:31:01 28,918 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hey, I'm sensitive! OK, I'm not gonna labour the point. But yeah, considering just how much ecosse was hated, that's bad enough.

Anyway, as I've said, I not only acknowledged the importance of the issue , I'd already spoken about it in two earlier articles.

Further, if you have a look at some of the more recent articles, you'll see plenty of critical coverage (Hawken launch support and the Kickstarter coverage spring to mind). I'm as aware as everyone of the potential pitfalls that face this system (moreso in many cases) but that won't stop me being enthusiastic about it.

Anyway, if you'd like to add more balance to the site, I'll give you rights to submit articles. Up for it?

Edited by silentbob at 18:31:28 06-09-2012

• Fake_Blood 6 Sep 2012 18:31:11 3,836 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Or what mal said ;)
  • silentbob 7 Sep 2012 12:29:27 28,918 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm working on an article which looks at an unexpected developing source of future Oculus Rift compatible software, Steam Greenlight. There are multiple projects stating that they intend (if greenlit) to support the device.

Has anyone seen any projects their interested in? Let me know and I'll try and get in touch with the developers to get some interviews done.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 7 Sep 2012 12:48:17 36,290 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Listening to the Giant Bombcast this week they brought up the excellent idea of horror games such as Amnesia and Slender being made available for Rift.

If they do... I'm in.

I totally called it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Tonka 7 Sep 2012 13:06:02 19,840 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @mal OK, I'll dig out my old Viewmaster and give it a go.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• silentbob 7 Sep 2012 13:25:47 28,918 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @MrTomFTW There's an original horror in the works being developed with the rift in mind. Need to track down the article, but those who tested it found it suitably oppressive / scary.

I was barely able to play Slender for more than a few minutes at a time, Slender on the rift and it wouldn't be the vomit end I'd have to worry about.

/classy post

Edited by silentbob at 13:32:53 07-09-2012

• spindizzy 8 Sep 2012 01:38:53 6,400 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    Listening to the Giant Bombcast this week they brought up the excellent idea of horror games such as Amnesia and Slender being made available for Rift.

If they do... I'm in.
    I thought about this a few days ago. The thing is: I could barely play amnesia on my desktop; there's no way I could play it on the rift.
  • silentbob 9 Sep 2012 18:13:39 28,918 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nthusim promises backwards compatibility for the Oculus Rift. But is this a good thing?

• silentbob 9 Sep 2012 23:16:54 28,918 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pax Prime - Hands-on Round-up - WIP, not sure you can quite call 2 items a 'round-up'. Will add more tomorrow.

Edit: Updated.

Edited by silentbob at 09:08:31 10-09-2012

• silentbob 10 Sep 2012 13:38:29 28,918 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Valve story on the front page is interesting in relation to the Rift. Abrash was on the Quakecon panel of course and talked about AR a bit. It'll be intriguing to see how these two type of HMD merge in the future.

• Deckard1 10 Sep 2012 13:43:46 25,414 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The transformation is complete. May god have mercy on your soul silentecosse.

Called it

• silentbob 10 Sep 2012 13:55:43 28,918 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Your contribution is valuable as ever Deckard1. Thank you for keeping this thread bumped.

• Dirtbox 10 Sep 2012 14:09:40 76,342 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think I'd rather get valve's goggles. These probably won't get out of the gate now. No point.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• silentbob 10 Sep 2012 15:46:40 28,918 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Definitely! Or something.

• silentbob 11 Sep 2012 14:23:31 28,918 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    One of the Directors of Nthusim has been in touch with me regarding the article I wrote and has offered an interview / Q+A to clear up any confusion regarding their new software.

If you have anything you'd like to ask, either post them here, or over at the RiftVR Forums and I'll bundle them up for him.

Thanks.

• LeoliansBro 11 Sep 2012 14:24:00 41,869 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Q: How many screens does the Rift have?

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• silentbob 11 Sep 2012 15:50:36 28,918 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Q: How many screens does the Rift have?
    Let me Google that for you ...

John Carmack on August 1
    Technical comments based on the prototype unit I have been using and conversations with Palmer:
    The display is a single 1280x800 panel; each eye only sees a 640x800 image stretched across the huge field of view.

• Page

of 56 First / Last