The Oculus Rift; VR Finally comes of age? Page 12

• Page

of 58 First / Last

• LeoliansBro 17 Aug 2012 14:00:55 43,236 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No that's cool. Do they have a release date, have I missed it?

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• silentbob 17 Aug 2012 14:05:50 28,950 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They were talking Q2 2013 from what I remember, but nothing concrete or official. Seems simultaneously overly optimistic and doable to me. We'll have to see.

I think, the key thing that could fuck this whole thing up is launching without the proper support and realistically, unless their SDK is amazeballs and performs magic, it'll take time for that software to be developed retrofitted for full support.

One of the reasons I wanted a Dev Kit, I could see the consumer release being achingly far into 2013.

Edited by silentbob at 14:06:30 17-08-2012

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• LeoliansBro 17 Aug 2012 14:13:26 43,236 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    6 months for the developers doesn't seem enough lead time. I believe they could get the unit ready at that time (if they can get 5,000 functional kits out the door this year) but you'd expect a longer gap.

Personally, what with questions on resolution, miniaturisation, the final design and support it feels more like a Christmas 2013 product. Wonder how much it'll cost.

• mrpon 17 Aug 2012 14:21:00 28,479 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    How heavy is this thing? I mean, will it hold down a pile of papers on a desk?

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• silentbob 17 Aug 2012 14:23:11 28,950 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    :)

..prototypes are getting lighter the more time progresses, the original was quoted at 220 Grams. :)

• silentbob 17 Aug 2012 14:25:42 28,950 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    6 months for the developers doesn't seem enough lead time. I believe they could get the unit ready at that time (if they can get 5,000 functional kits out the door this year) but you'd expect a longer gap.

Personally, what with questions on resolution, miniaturisation, the final design and support it feels more like a Christmas 2013 product. Wonder how much it'll cost.
    As much as it pains me to say it, I think that's an accurate prediction.

Again, it's one of the reasons I want 'in' early to enjoy all of that 'lovely' development software.

Edited by silentbob at 14:26:09 17-08-2012

• silentbob 17 Aug 2012 18:31:16 28,950 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Proper length PC Gamer hands on. Much better impression with this.

• silentbob 17 Aug 2012 21:09:07 28,950 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Kickstarter page has been updated with some new info:

-- We're tweaking the hardware design for the developer kit. Our latest prototype is actually lighter than the original, which was already less than 0.5lbs. We've also come up with an elegant solution to help us reduce the amount of cabling.

-- We're meeting with game developers around the world (literally!), showing the Oculus Rift, and discussing what the future of video games with VR support may look like.

-- We're ramping up our hardware operations and looking at partnerships with the best possible companies. In fact, Brendan and Jack just returned from China where they toured factories and established a close relationship with a major device manufacturer.

-- Of course, we're hard at work developing the Oculus SDK, including Unreal Engine and Unity integrations, as well as the samples / documentation we'll be providing to the Oculus developer community. These are all coming along nicely. We'll have more to show soon.
    Edited by silentbob at 21:09:39 17-08-2012

• HoriZon 17 Aug 2012 21:14:04 13,498 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wont take off ;)

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• silentbob 17 Aug 2012 21:19:38 28,950 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My HDTV and Blu-Ray threads want your post back.

• Deleted user 17 August 2012 22:57:16
    I know I'm not helping his cause but I do actually see some potential in this. Not from a technical aspect as I'm not techy enough to comment but from a market perspective. There is a space for it, there is a curious consumer base for this type of stuff beyond the hardcore nerds. And, like I said before it already has more games than kinect.
  • silentbob 18 Aug 2012 07:39:03 28,950 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Of course there is! Every gamer who grew up dreaming of Tron and Lawnmower Man can't fail to at least want to know what it's like. My generation (I suspect not yours mowgli) was weened on VR, grew up believing it was inevitable ... but it never happened.

Purely in recall terms, this will interest gamers of my age, that's the unsustainable beginning. What gives it longevity is the fact that the Rift works and will be one of the best ways to experience games, that message should reach all gamers very quickly.

• Fake_Blood 18 Aug 2012 07:58:03 4,077 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That hands on vid from pc gamer is awesome bob.
  • silentbob 18 Aug 2012 08:38:13 28,950 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, certainly the most enthusiastic hands-on I've seen so far. :)

• silentbob 19 Aug 2012 20:14:09 28,950 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    German IT site Golem hands-on. Actual playtime is in German, but the interesting snippet is the cable 'hub' they're now using in these demonstrations.

Seems they've found a way to send USB and power up HDMI for this prototype, meaning only a single cable is required from the 'box' to the HMD. According to posts from one of Oculus' hardware engineer over on MTBS3D, in the end the hub-to-HMD cable will be proprietary, but it's nice to know they have a single cable solution ready to go.

Edited by silentbob at 22:22:52 19-08-2012

• silentbob 20 Aug 2012 09:02:33 28,950 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    From the MTBS3D forum:

Hey Guys! Just as I promised here is my feedback about my encounter with the Rift from Gamescom!

You can notice the low resolution but as soon as your brain makes the switch (accepting the virtual reality to be 'reality') you forget all about it. That switch happened to me 2 seconds after I put the rift on my head. Amazingly immersive, Nate & Lucky where talking to me but they might as well started talking to a wall because I was no longer in a meeting room, I was in a flipping scary spaceship! Coolness level = 12/10.

Also I'm nearsighted (-2, -3) and was using the rift without lenses/glasses and had no real issues with it.

Because it was so immersive, I really had to restrain myself from walking around, I just felt the need to start walking & explore that spaceship I was in, totally forgot I wasn't really there, hah!

There was also another guy testing the rift ahead of me and he couldn't handle it. After a couple of minutes he shouted 'stop stop get me out!"
    I talked to him afterwards and he said it was so intense, so immersive he panicked & got very scared. (Doom3 isn't exactly super mario after all)

Now, if a early prototype can create emotions like that imagine what the finished version will be able to do!

After chilling down a bit he did try it for a second time, this time he did it sitting instead of standing and that went a lot better for him. Standing
    is definitely more immersive.

Bottom line: yes it's not perfect but you can clearly see that this prototype will evolve into something that will blow everybody's mind, no question about that. Better be ready for the VR revolution everybody, it's gonna be one hell of a ride, woohoo!
    ..love the bit about the other guy losing it! You can't get a much more positive assertion of it's potency than that. :)

• Phattso Moderator 20 Aug 2012 09:06:45 13,199 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I won't be happy until the first death attributed to the Rift sparks fury and outrage in the worldwide media.

You just can't buy that kind of advertising (unless you pay for someone to be killed while using the Rift).
  • silentbob 20 Aug 2012 09:09:29 28,950 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Can you imagine how long the health and safety warnings would be for this thing if Nintendo ever produced a version? You'd probably have to attend a course to attain certification before being allowed to wear it.

• Phattso Moderator 20 Aug 2012 09:12:20 13,199 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What is nice to hear is that the short-sighted dude was able to use it without glasses at all - that's probably my main "mechanical" fear with the unit. If I can use this thing sans specs then that's even better.
  • silentbob 20 Aug 2012 09:16:26 28,950 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Indeed, I meant to bold that bit as it's a problem I'm likely to face.

Did you read the piece above RE the cabling solution? The other mechanical issue I had concerns about. Seems they've really got things in hand.

• LeoliansBro 20 Aug 2012 09:20:16 43,236 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The mock up pic always had a single cable on it - I assumed that was going to be the way they were going from the start.

• Phattso Moderator 20 Aug 2012 09:21:01 13,199 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah - although I wasn't ever really bothered by the cabling issue. It's not a difficult problem to solve, as they've discovered. Just need the will to expend some thinking time to it.

But it's heartening that they're not leaving such things to the last minute. If they're paying as much attention to the software side of things it bodes very well indeed.
  • silentbob 20 Aug 2012 09:26:44 28,950 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    The mock up pic always had a single cable on it - I assumed that was going to be the way they were going from the start.
    Sure, but it's nice to know they have it in hand already. It probably means that the dev kits will include this now that they clearly have a solution so early.

• silentbob 20 Aug 2012 10:47:16 28,950 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Not sure. EG seems to have ignored it completely at Gamescom, which is somewhat perplexing. I can't find any plans on them visiting the UK though.

It'd be awesome to get some real EGers feedback on it.

Edited by silentbob at 10:47:37 20-08-2012

• silentbob 21 Aug 2012 07:46:47 28,950 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The guy from iWaggle 3D (i.e. exactly the sort of person you want testing this) has uploaded a lengthy testing session below, including a fairly warts and all commentary. Additionally, an interview with a knackered looking Palmer Luckey at the end.

Edited by silentbob at 07:55:20 21-08-2012

• Phattso Moderator 21 Aug 2012 08:15:40 13,199 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cocksucker barely even cracked a smile though, the joyless fucker.

/demands rainbows
  • silentbob 21 Aug 2012 10:22:50 28,950 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    His observations are interesting though. Particularly RE lateral movement (which is not tracked) causing disorientation when using it.

• Lukus 21 Aug 2012 10:26:16 18,999 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rift combined with (a better more accurate) Kinect could be cool. Tracking your body movements, showing your hands as they move about in real time. Chuck in a gun peripheral and you could actually aim 'properly' in the game world.

Paintings & Photographs

• LeoliansBro 21 Aug 2012 10:32:47 43,236 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, I'd like to see this as the eye part of a wider set of controls.

As I said before the best (most immersive) current use for it would be inside a virtual cockpit of some sort.

• Page

of 58 First / Last