The Oculus Rift; VR Finally comes of age? Page 2

• Page

of 60 First / Last

• mal 6 Aug 2012 02:37:25 22,453 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm sure it would be cool for FPSes and flight sims (neither of which have ever particularly piqued my interest). As I said above, I don't see the application for racers, and besides most games I prefer to play from a third person perspective anyway. It'd be nice for Child of Eden and any future first person rail shooters that come along, and for Mirror's Edge if we ever see a followup to that, but otherwise I don't play games with a first person perspective, and it seems to me this device is only applicable to first person gaming - perhaps I am being shortsighted there though, after all I don't think there are any first person games on the Virtual Boy.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Deleted user 6 August 2012 03:21:56
    Virtual Boy wasn't really virtual reality as such (despite the name), it was just a 3D display.
  • mal 6 Aug 2012 03:38:46 22,453 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sure, but I'm using it as a comparison since it shares the 3D nature and the level of immersion due to your field of view being filled. It lacks head tracking, but there's nothing that says you have to use that if it doesn't make sense (as I don't believe it would for a third person game with a floating camera)

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Phattso Moderator 6 Aug 2012 04:34:24 13,274 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Maybe you "don't play games with a first person perspective" because something like the Rift has never existed.

I'm with bob on this one - it's a massive, and disappointing, imagination failure from a lot of you on this one. This could very well change everything. Fuck a duck, it might even mean that suddenly gaming experiences can be less about shooting shit and more about actual exploration and immersion. Don't think "Doom" as much as "Dear Esther".

Not that I don't sport a proud boner for Doom 3 BFG, but I'm so much more excited about what proper immersion might mean for gaming in the future. Even something pedestrian like Myst... imagine that in realtime, with full immersion. The strangeness, the discomfiting atmosphere, the surreality etc. etc. Much less something in the horror genre. Actually fleeing. Actual fight or flight responses. Actually shitting yourself. Awesome.

The potential for hooking up with motion sensing (Kinect++ without the horrific lag) here is also exciting.

Basically, to not be excited at the Rift should be a cause of disappointment in oneself. Imagine if ten year old you could see you now (although I appreciate that for some of you that might not be such a distant past).

I was really envious of the people that got to play with Carmack's tech demo at E3. And now we all get a chance, if we want. I'm in.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 6 Aug 2012 06:30:43 37,816 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bob and Phattso, the original members of the ORDF :-P

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Phattso Moderator 6 Aug 2012 06:42:52 13,274 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    We prefer the term "founders" if it's all the same to you.

Or alternatively "humans not devoid of the power of joyous celebration at the impending realisation of a childhood dream" but that's a bit of a mouthful. :)
  • silentbob 6 Aug 2012 07:40:14 28,956 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mal wrote:
    I'm sure it would be cool for FPSes and flight sims (neither of which have ever particularly piqued my interest). As I said above, I don't see the application for racers, and besides most games I prefer to play from a third person perspective anyway. It'd be nice for Child of Eden and any future first person rail shooters that come along, and for Mirror's Edge if we ever see a followup to that, but otherwise I don't play games with a first person perspective, and it seems to me this device is only applicable to first person gaming - perhaps I am being shortsighted there though, after all I don't think there are any first person games on the Virtual Boy.
    Ah, I see the list increasing the more you think about it. ;)

Racers and Flight-sims are a shoe-in (in fact more so than FPSs as the implementation is potentially much more straightforward), especially Sim Racers. I have one friend who's heavily into iRacing chomping at the bit to get his hands on a unit. So much so that it took about 30 secs for him to stump up the $330 for a dev unit.

You'll come round, I'll save you a T-shirt.

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• nickthegun 6 Aug 2012 07:55:51 59,449 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm also going to produce a t-shirt. It's going to say 'I paid 300 sheets to a kickstarter project and all I got was this lousy t-shirt' in comic sans.

I've already raised half a million on kickstarter and am sending the dev t-shirts out next week. By which I mean a printout of this page.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• silentbob 6 Aug 2012 08:41:15 28,956 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't even get a T-shirt for my readies. Just this crappy, useless, potentially revolutionary VR headset.

Edited by silentbob at 08:43:24 06-08-2012

• Ginger 6 Aug 2012 08:42:45 6,829 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    I don't even get a T-shirt for my readies. Just this crappy useless, potentially revolutionary prototype, probably broken VR headset.

London open taekwondo champion

• silentbob 6 Aug 2012 08:43:00 28,956 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ..which as we've already established is useless for epoch making titles such as Mario Kart 12 and Nintendogs: Fag Hag edition.

• StarchildHypocrethes 6 Aug 2012 08:44:50 25,597 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Think Iíll wait to see if this does actually revolutionise the world as we know it before I blow 300 sheets on one. Canít really imagine my other half being massively chuffed watching Eastenders with a spaz in a Power Rangers helmet doing a constant Stevie Wonder impression next to her, either.
  • silentbob 6 Aug 2012 08:47:16 28,956 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    Think Iíll wait to see if this does actually revolutionise the world as we know it before I blow 300 sheets on one. Canít really imagine my other half being massively chuffed watching Eastenders with a spaz in a Power Rangers helmet doing a constant Stevie Wonder impression next to her, either.
    I think we know which looks more stupid. And it's not Lawnmower man.

• Phattso Moderator 6 Aug 2012 08:47:26 13,274 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I did briefly consider the spacker spaceman aspect of owning one of these; then I remembered watching anyone anywhere ever using a Wii or Kinect and decided I'd take my chances on Ridiculous Roulette.

It's only dollars, too. Not real money.
  • LeoliansBro 6 Aug 2012 08:48:51 43,810 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Would be nice to see a working prototype, or indeed anything that doesn't just exist as a virtual model.

Also pity it isn't wireless - true 360 3D and strangulation are going to be closely associated I fear.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Dirtbox 6 Aug 2012 09:00:04 77,701 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'd be stunned if this ever saw the light of day, just like that stupid android console.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• nickthegun 6 Aug 2012 09:05:14 59,449 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ginger wrote:
    silentbob wrote:
    I don't even get a T-shirt for my readies. Just this crappy useless, potentially revolutionary prototype, probably broken VR headset that will never be made.

He totally called it

• silentbob 6 Aug 2012 09:07:30 28,956 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Project update 2:

Due to popular demand, we've added new reward tiers for contributors who would like to get their hands on multiple Rift developer kits with a single contribution. The new reward tiers offer 2, 3, 5, and 10 developer kit packages. We think these rewards are perfect for game studios who'd like their team to be able to collaborate on Rift game design and integration.
    ..not checked them out yet.

• Phattso Moderator 6 Aug 2012 09:21:12 13,274 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    I'd be stunned if this ever saw the light of day, just like that stupid android console.
    The Rift as a widespread commercial proposition is almost a non starter - they have a lot of work to do there to make it happen. That said, they're going the right way about it: land as much content and developer interest as you can and the market may well just pop into existence. Personally, I just want a dev kit to futz about with.

The difference between this an Ouya is that something concrete actually exists today, and has been demonstrated as working, so it's not a particularly valid comparison except in the loosest sense.
  • LeoliansBro 6 Aug 2012 09:36:09 43,810 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Phattso - what exists today?

Apart from in theory, I mean.

• Phattso Moderator 6 Aug 2012 10:00:19 13,274 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @LeoliansBro

They have the prototype hardware, using mainly off the shelf components, the demonstrably working hand optimised driver stack including the gyro code from Armadillo Aerospace, and a proof of concept application in Doom 3 BFG.

They have also shown the prototype (well, John Carmack did) at E3 and people have come away almost universally impressed by the experience.

So now they're gonna duplicate even more prototype units and get them into the hands of developers and enthusiasts.

So it's not vapourware. It does exist.
  • silentbob 6 Aug 2012 10:06:33 28,956 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Phattso - what exists today?

Apart from in theory, I mean.
    The dev units have already been demoed at E3 and now at Quakecon. According to the interview Palmer gave to EG recently, the prototype units will actually look quite close to the proposed commercial unit (externally that is). The main difference being the panel used in the dev units being relatively low resolution (1280 x 800). That panel is likely to change before the commercial versions ship.

Dev units are already with various top level devs, Valve, Epic the Unity engine guys etc. and feedback on the whole has been overwhelmingly positive. What's more is, although the Kickstarter dev units are shipping with very little in the way of profit for Oculus, it demonstrates how cost effective the approach is for mass production (much less than £200 for a full, working unit).

According to Carmack, the focus now is on upping the panel resolution and lowering the latency of the headtracking sensors as well as tweaking the optics and providing adjustable focus on the optics (currently this is not available).

As carmack puts it, the tech exists today to do all of the above, the blocker ATM is both developer backing and panel manufacturers producing cheap, high resolution panels - ideally OLED (it's currently an LCD panel).

In all honesty, this isn't a pipe dream any more. Of course, making a commercial prospect is another matter. But, I get a good feeling about it. Momentum seems immense already and this is before anyone has their hands on the kit.

Edited by silentbob at 10:09:12 06-08-2012

• nickthegun 6 Aug 2012 10:08:01 59,449 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Now im no high faluting patent lawyer, but wont most/all of the technology used in this headset already have had the crap registered out of it in the big VR rush of the early 90's?

He totally called it

• silentbob 6 Aug 2012 10:11:17 28,956 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Its a very different approach. Most of the crappy HMD units used steroscopic, dual panel displays with a piss poor viewing angle. Besides, all of the tech used are off the shelf components already in production.

I don't see it being a problem TBH, although I guess it depends on how they go about protecting their IP.

Edited by silentbob at 10:12:17 06-08-2012

• Phattso Moderator 6 Aug 2012 10:15:19 13,274 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's small screens, accelerometers/gyroscopes, and some custom electronics. The magic is in the integration and optimisation. That said, if anyone had patented some element of it there's a good chance it might have expired already (or, if they haven't done anything with it, rendered moot in the "use it or lose it" sense).
  • nickthegun 6 Aug 2012 10:18:24 59,449 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I actually made a spectrum game in the mid 80s called Oculus Spectaculus about a crime fighting optician, so i'll see them in court.

He totally called it

• silentbob 6 Aug 2012 11:11:46 28,956 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    It's small screens, accelerometers/gyroscopes, and some custom electronics. The magic is in the integration and optimisation. That said, if anyone had patented some element of it there's a good chance it might have expired already (or, if they haven't done anything with it, rendered moot in the "use it or lose it" sense).
    Just the one screen/panel, with the 'magic' in the optics. Another reason why it's a minor breakthrough in terms of cost / performance.

I'd say there were a good number of greater challenges outside of patent law to worry about first.

• silentbob 6 Aug 2012 11:38:17 28,956 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I actually made a spectrum game in the mid 80s called Oculus Spectaculus about a crime fighting optician, so i'll see them in court.
    You'll probably have to have words with Rowling too.

• nickthegun 6 Aug 2012 11:41:31 59,449 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dont you worry about that. She knows what shes done.

He totally called it

• LeoliansBro 6 Aug 2012 11:44:15 43,810 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This is one thing I would love to see an unboxing video of :)

...try to capture the moment when you realise you'll need a soldering kit and an injection moulding press.

• Page

of 60 First / Last