The Oculus Rift; VR Finally comes of age? Page 45

• Page

of 61 First / Last

• silentbob 20 Nov 2013 00:10:02 28,976 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ..while I'm at it - just in case you missed it:

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• PenguinJim 21 Nov 2013 00:17:37 5,875 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've been too busy to get more than about two hours with my Rift so far. :(

I got home the other day to find that a houseguest had installed and set up Minecrift for me. I walked around for about five minutes. Quite a few "wows". You wouldn't think it's a brilliant demo, but it's like being IN Minecraft. Which sounds obvious. But it's like being IN Minecraft! I didn't even get underground, as the nausea kicked in and I spent the following half hour feeling a tad queasy. :D

Came across an odd problem with Riftcoaster the other day where it refused to display in Riftovision, despite playing nicely the previous day. The fix was to plug the Rift USB cable back into the same port I'd had it plugged into when it was working before.
  • spindizzy 21 Nov 2013 17:45:16 6,533 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    Kind of NSFW

What was it out of interest? It's long gone...
  • mrpon 21 Nov 2013 18:55:06 28,997 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Do a search for oculus rift sex game.

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• mAc6 21 Nov 2013 21:41:26 736 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    spindizzy wrote:
    Razz wrote:
    Kind of NSFW

I believe it was something about dudes with sexy lawnmowers or something, dont know for sure..
  • spindizzy 25 Nov 2013 12:37:09 6,533 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mAc6 wrote:
    spindizzy wrote:
    Razz wrote:
    Kind of NSFW

I believe it was something about dudes with sexy lawnmowers or something, dont know for sure..
    Er... okay! Didn't miss too much then...
  • Razz 27 Nov 2013 19:07:51 61,279 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    This tech combined with the Rift could prove to be something special.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Razz 27 Nov 2013 19:10:09 61,279 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @spindizzy IT was this:

Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• superdelphinus 27 Nov 2013 19:22:04 8,074 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was reading about this recently, what is the motion sickness like using it?
  • spindizzy 29 Nov 2013 08:25:00 6,533 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Razz Wow. WOW. That is utterly bizarre...
  • silentbob 29 Nov 2013 08:28:40 28,976 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    spindizzy wrote:
    You think that's odd - Google "Ju-c air". :)

• silentbob 29 Nov 2013 08:31:24 28,976 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    superdelphinus wrote:
    I was reading about this recently, what is the motion sickness like using it?
    Currently the Dev Kit has no positional tracking - that is when your head moves forwards and backwards / side to side the game will not adjust accordingly. Nausea is incredibly subjective, there is almost no way to know how badly or even whether you'll be affected. Some can't stand more than 10 mins in a particular game whereas I'm not affected at all. It's very dependant on the person and the way the game as implemented Rift support.

Positional tracking will be in place for the consumer launch around Q3 2014.

• spindizzy 4 Dec 2013 09:34:33 6,533 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    spindizzy wrote:
    You think that's odd - Google "Ju-c air". :)
    Holy... please no more links, or suggestions for googling!
  • silentbob 24 Dec 2013 23:39:53 28,976 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So, I've booked my flights to Las Vegas and will be covering CES 2014 for RoadToVR.

If you'd have told me 18 months ago that I'd have the opportunity to do this I'd have slapped you in the chops. :)

• silentbob 30 Dec 2013 01:28:40 28,976 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I just uncovered what looks to be Oculus Rift 2.0 in a recent Wired magazine article. I spotted what looks to be their next-gen (and super secret) positional tracking system.

http://www.roadtovr.com/wired-article-image-hold-clues-oculus-rift-2-0s-positional-tracking/

• PenguinJim 30 Dec 2013 01:44:27 5,875 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Very interesting!

I'm properly sold on getting one, but I'm going to have to let my devkit go for now. I'm working two jobs at the moment and just don't have the time. (And then I just end up back on Dark Souls anyway :p)
  • OptimusPube 1 Jan 2014 11:41:30 3,071 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Oculus Rift been used by scientists and the military

It may be old news and pretty obvious but interesting article anyway.

Also how cool a name is Oculus Rift, the nerd in me loves it.

Also is there any news on an official release date, I'm more excited for this than any of this new gen bollocks?

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC²

• silentbob 1 Jan 2014 20:13:42 28,976 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yer - the 'relatively strapped for cash' military would be well advised to take on this far more effective, cheaper option - at least once the Consumer Rift appears.

In answer to your question - They're still targeting Q3/4 2014 - but I'll be asking them (again) when we meet up with them at CES on Thursday.

Keep up to date at our site (link in my sig) and our twitter feed (Follow RoadToVR Here where we'll be twitting ad nausea about our experiences there.

• Ginger 8 Jan 2014 08:13:55 6,849 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    A somewhat positive hands on...

http://m.gizmodo.co.uk/2014/01/i-wore-the-new-oculus-rift-and-i-never-want-to-look-at-real-life-again

London open taekwondo champion

• PenguinJim 8 Jan 2014 09:49:03 5,875 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Eurogamer had a similar piece at the end of last week:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-04-is-2014-the-year-of-virtual-reality

Is this thread ever going to get moved to gaming? :p
  • Ginger 8 Jan 2014 10:06:21 6,849 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, the gizmodo link is the first hands on I've seen of the new version and it'd sounds like quite a step up.

Looking forward to the consumer release :-)

London open taekwondo champion

• mal 8 Jan 2014 11:01:06 22,605 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hmm, so given the consumer version was originally slated to just be the dev kit but with a better (read HD) screen, with positional tracking being quickly suggested for it, how's this not the consumer version, seeing as it has the HD screen and positional tracking? What more are they waiting for?

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Fake_Blood 8 Jan 2014 14:31:29 4,221 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Better screens I think.
    1080p will be amazing but what if they can put a retina 2500x1500 screen in there? Also, if they launch this thing they'd better have one killer app for it. A big studio game build from the ground up for the rift.
  • silentbob 12 Jan 2014 00:33:06 28,976 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Back from CES - de jet lagging.

The mainstream media have largely missed the emphasis Oculus were trying to give to the Crystal Cove presentations. We spent a good hour with Palmer and Naye and the Crystal Cove and it's absolutely clear that low persistence of vision is the real breakthrough for this prototype - it eliminates motion blur and solidifies the scene to an incredible. This is the important development here, positional tracking is incredible don't get me wrong, but low persistence blew me away.

As for a AAA title by a major studio, built from the ground up for VR? I'll put money on CCP games EVE Valkyrie being a pack-in title when the Rift hits the shelves.

• silentbob 12 Jan 2014 00:33:58 28,976 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    I just uncovered what looks to be Oculus Rift 2.0 in a recent Wired magazine article. I spotted what looks to be their next-gen (and super secret) positional tracking system.

http://www.roadtovr.com/wired-article-image-hold-clues-oculus-rift-2-0s-positional-tracking/
    Just pointing out I was right. ;)

• silentbob 12 Jan 2014 00:37:55 28,976 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Our Interview with snippets of play test footage. Check us out with the 2 camera edit! ;)

http://www.roadtovr.com/ces-2014-oculus-rift-crystal-cove-prototype-palmer-luckey-nate-mitchell-low-persistence-positional-tracking-interview-video/

• estoo 12 Jan 2014 00:52:16 2,826 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Any clues on a release date?
    What are they going to do with the huge new investment they got?
    Did they mention dev kit v2 being made available at all?

(sorry, can't watch vid from here!)
  • mal 12 Jan 2014 02:33:12 22,605 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    They mentioned a devkit v2 at the end of the linked vid, but it was such a short mention that I can't remember what plans they had for it, beyond admitting that having one was proably a good idea.

Regarding my experiences with the devkit v1 at the Expo, I've come to the opinion that the problem I probably had with that unit was my eyelashes conflicting with the rear optics, which is probably why I found myself looking up a lot, pushing my upper eyelid up and clearing my eyelashes from the lens. I'm not sure what they can do about that without redesigning the optics - pushing the lenses further away will probably make the image out of focus unless it's perfectly focussed to infinity, and smaller and less immersive even if it is anyway.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• silentbob 12 Jan 2014 23:55:37 28,976 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There will be a DK2 - but it has to be feature complete otherwise it's fairly pointless. With that in mind, release date will be likely very close to the Consumer Rift.

As for release, in front and behind the cameras, their mantra was the same '2014 will be a great year for VR'. They're playing it safe, but I'm convinced we'll see a retail version before Q4 this year.

Retracting the assembly (feature since DK1) works just fine. The image won't be out of focus but you will start to lose FOV. Just trim your eyelashes. :) Crystal Cove has large optics with a larger pupil exit size, which should allow more comfort.

Something that doesn't come across clearly in our interview is that the positional tracking is definitely good enough for retail. It actually has an effective FOV of 300 degrees (roughly) - you have to crane your neck all the way to the most uncomfortable position before it loses positional tracking. And even then, you drop back to what we have no - superb rotational tracking as it smoothly transitions between the two.

One other thing, OLED + completely dark HMD = Perfect blacks. Watching the starfield of EVE Valkyrie roll around was a stunning sight to behold.

• Zomoniac 17 Jan 2014 09:39:34 7,838 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So Valve were making something, but they've decided to partner instead.
    Linky.

With Valve on board this pushes the expected release date from 2015 to never actually happening. Arse.
  • Page

of 61 First / Last