The Oculus Rift; VR Finally comes of age? Page 40

  • Page

    of 63 First / Last

  • PenguinJim 8 Aug 2013 14:56:43 6,010 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes, and the ability to switch it off in the options. ;)
  • spindizzy 8 Aug 2013 14:57:19 6,610 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    But surely then they just disable the blur effects for the rift? That's really not going to be very hard (and will free up some GPU power).
    Edit: ninja'ed! ^^^^^

    I still don't get what @Rythmn meant about Carmack and the Rift representing the 'worst aspects of PC gaming' ...

    Edited by spindizzy at 14:57:50 08-08-2013
  • Rodpad 8 Aug 2013 15:04:06 2,097 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    Yes, and the ability to switch it off in the options. ;)
    Yeah that works I guess. Would be nice to get some eye tracking focus though for complete realism which is afterall the aim of VR in the first place. Baby steps I guess.
  • LoopTheory 8 Aug 2013 16:32:00 377 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Roddles wrote:
    PenguinJim wrote:
    Yes, and the ability to switch it off in the options. ;)
    Yeah that works I guess. Would be nice to get some eye tracking focus though for complete realism which is afterall the aim of VR in the first place. Baby steps I guess.
    You sort of get a sudo focus with your brain when you focus on something in the rift which kind of gets over the whole issue
  • Deleted user 8 August 2013 17:00:26
    LoopTheory wrote:
    You sort of get a sudo focus
    That gets to the root of the problem.






    /tumbleweed
  • spindizzy 8 Aug 2013 17:31:12 6,610 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ha! ;-)
  • silentbob 14 Aug 2013 21:36:01 29,026 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    meme wrote:
    LoopTheory wrote:
    You sort of get a sudo focus
    That gets to the root of the problem.






    /tumbleweed
    \o/

    VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

  • silentbob 24 Aug 2013 23:51:45 29,026 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Back from playing Journo at GamesCom. I got the chance to play EVE VR (now known as EVE Valkyrie) on the new Oculus Rift HD prototypes and talk to Jon Lander, Executive Producer at CCP games. Interview is online now:

    http://www.roadtovr.com/2013/08/24/gamescom-2013-interview-with-jon-lander-executive-producer-of-eve-valkyrie-7622

    VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

  • morriss 24 Aug 2013 23:58:58 71,286 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nice one!
  • BeheretiK 3 Sep 2013 09:23:06 884 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So, looks like vorpX isn't dead as some suspected and they are starting public beta before the end of September. Price will be around 35 which, if it works as promised, seems pretty reasonable to me. Cautiously optimistic for this!

    http://www.vorpx.com/release-timeframe/

    3DS: 5241-1899-2292

  • PenguinJim 3 Sep 2013 09:35:33 6,010 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I keep nearly ordering a devkit. There's a place on their website for discount/coupon codes. How do I get one of those?

    Don't tell me, I'll wait for the consumer release.

    Actually, tell me. I'd like to try out the devkit.

    No... I can wait.

    Well... if it's 10% or more, give it to me.

    Or even 5%.
  • Fake_Blood 3 Sep 2013 12:16:37 4,451 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I would like to mention that i've been playing iracing with the rift and a logitech g27 wheel and it's totally shitfuck amazing. That is all.
  • silentbob 3 Sep 2013 12:25:25 29,026 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    BeheretiK wrote:
    So, looks like vorpX isn't dead as some suspected and they are starting public beta before the end of September. Price will be around 35 which, if it works as promised, seems pretty reasonable to me. Cautiously optimistic for this!

    http://www.vorpx.com/release-timeframe/
    Believe me, it's not dead and is a great product. You'll hear on RoadToVR website when things are due to launch people.

    VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

  • BeheretiK 3 Sep 2013 12:41:33 884 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    I would like to mention that i've been playing iracing with the rift and a logitech g27 wheel and it's totally shitfuck amazing. That is all.
    I lost my G27 power supply but got a second hand one ordered to arrive this week. Once setup I intend to give this a go. Something exciting for the weekend to look forward to! :-)

    3DS: 5241-1899-2292

  • BeheretiK 3 Sep 2013 12:43:40 884 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    BeheretiK wrote:
    So, looks like vorpX isn't dead as some suspected and they are starting public beta before the end of September. Price will be around 35 which, if it works as promised, seems pretty reasonable to me. Cautiously optimistic for this!

    http://www.vorpx.com/release-timeframe/
    Believe me, it's not dead and is a great product. You'll hear on RoadToVR website when things are due to launch people.
    I was wondering why it was not mentioned (recently) on the RoadToVR site, which is why I posted the update. Great to hear your endorsement though and I will most definitely be watching the RoadToVR site for launch info!

    3DS: 5241-1899-2292

  • silentbob 3 Sep 2013 12:58:42 29,026 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    I would like to mention that i've been playing iracing with the rift and a logitech g27 wheel and it's totally shitfuck amazing. That is all.
    It's even better with the HD prototype. :)

    Edited by silentbob at 12:58:50 03-09-2013

    VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

  • Deleted user 3 September 2013 13:44:48
    spindizzy wrote:
    I still don't get what @Rythmn meant about Carmack and the Rift representing the 'worst aspects of PC gaming' ...
    Sorry, missed this, I should really expand. Carmack and that side of PC gaming represent tech at the expense of gameplay rather than in service of. It's fine, but it's the nichest part of a nerdy niche and shouldn't really be applauded in any major way.

    The Rift seems targeted to no-one else other than extreme loners - when everyone else tries to bring people together through gaming, here's a company separating them even further. Same goes for Sony or anyone else manufacturing HMDs for anything other than business/work reasons. Friends, family and kids are already fucked off enough with trying to grab the attention of cuntish smartphone users - the Rift is going to be a fucking nightmare in that regard. To illustrate, here's a pic that appeared on my Twitter feed last night. family life with the Rift

    We've sniggered a little at the extreme nature of Korean MMO players who play so much that they die at the keyboard - that's going to be *nothing* compared to what Rift will bring to the table

    Edited by Rhythm at 13:55:30 03-09-2013
  • Fake_Blood 3 Sep 2013 13:48:13 4,451 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah well, i can play it as long as I want.

    /jealous :)

    @bob

    Edited by Fake_Blood at 13:49:50 03-09-2013
  • silentbob 3 Sep 2013 15:44:45 29,026 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rhythm wrote:
    spindizzy wrote:
    I still don't get what @Rythmn meant about Carmack and the Rift representing the 'worst aspects of PC gaming' ...
    Sorry, missed this, I should really expand. Carmack and that side of PC gaming represent tech at the expense of gameplay rather than in service of. It's fine, but it's the nichest part of a nerdy niche and shouldn't really be applauded in any major way.

    The Rift seems targeted to no-one else other than extreme loners - when everyone else tries to bring people together through gaming, here's a company separating them even further. Same goes for Sony or anyone else manufacturing HMDs for anything other than business/work reasons. Friends, family and kids are already fucked off enough with trying to grab the attention of cuntish smartphone users - the Rift is going to be a fucking nightmare in that regard. To illustrate, here's a pic that appeared on my Twitter feed last night. family life with the Rift

    We've sniggered a little at the extreme nature of Korean MMO players who play so much that they die at the keyboard - that's going to be *nothing* compared to what Rift will bring to the table
    With all due respect Rhythm, this is some of the most alarmist claptrap I think I've read outside of the Daily Fail.

    VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

  • spindizzy 3 Sep 2013 15:56:55 6,610 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, I have to agree. Aside from the notion that someone intimately involved with Doom and Quake represents the side of tech at the expense of gameplay, I think the idea that the Rift is targeted only 'extreme loners' is ... very odd. And it's going to lead to DEATHS? Wow.
  • Deleted user 3 September 2013 16:04:41
    Whatever, I'm calling it. At least one Rift-related death within the first year of public release. The public cannot be trusted with cool things, especially ones that rob them of their sight and hearing.

    People have no self-control
  • PenguinJim 3 Sep 2013 16:08:02 6,010 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rhythm wrote:
    The Rift seems targeted to no-one else other than extreme loners - when everyone else tries to bring people together through gaming, here's a company separating them even further. Same goes for Sony or anyone else manufacturing HMDs for anything other than business/work reasons. Friends, family and kids are already fucked off enough with trying to grab the attention of cuntish smartphone users - the Rift is going to be a fucking nightmare in that regard. To illustrate, here's a pic that appeared on my Twitter feed last night. family life with the Rift
    I can't quite see what you're suggesting - that we as a species would be better off without ever having unleashed smartphones and the Oculus Rift?

    I think that rude people will be rude no matter what, be it via smartphone, Oculus Rift or unicycle. Showing someone being rude while using [tech] doesn't mean that the tech makes people rude. Use some self-control and raise your kids properly, and they won't have a problem.

    I'm getting a hates-single-player-games vibe from your post, too, or am I reading too much into it? Are we no longer allowed to read books by ourselves?

    I must admit that while I'm content for family to distract me from a pausable game, or even from a non-pausable TV show, it does annoy me when people try to talk to me when I'm reading a book. Fuck off! I'm reading! I'm midway through a paragraph! And the next one looks good, too! In my house, friends, family and kids are already fucked off enough with trying to grab the attention of cuntish book readers, and books seem to be targeted to no-one else other than extreme loners!
  • Fake_Blood 3 Sep 2013 16:30:07 4,451 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If it wasn't for the nichest part of a nerdy niche all your games would be text adventures.
  • LeoliansBro 3 Sep 2013 16:30:51 44,956 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rhythm, you don't half talk some arse.

    Say the Rift was WoW enabled, or worked with another MMO. Which part of your statement here makes sense?

    The Rift seems targeted to no-one else other than extreme loners - when everyone else tries to bring people together through gaming, here's a company separating them even further.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • Deleted user 3 September 2013 16:34:19
    They're all end up with square eyes from too much goggle-box watching, you mark my words.
  • Deleted user 3 September 2013 16:38:44
    I'm not clear on exactly how people are going to die playing the Rift.

    Tripping on the carpet and cracking your head open due to motion sickness doesn't really count btw.
  • LeoliansBro 3 Sep 2013 16:39:36 44,956 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Especially if you cite Korean gaming obsessives as a precedent. They died of heart attacks, not bumping into things.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • Deleted user 3 September 2013 16:42:22
    I'm guessing his argument is that people will be drawn into these virtual worlds and stay there, locked in and obsessed, until they die of dehydration or something, like Jobe in Lawnmower Man.

    The fact that the exact same thing was said about printed books, movies, television, the walkman and the internet clearly doesn't matter.
  • nickthegun 3 Sep 2013 16:44:47 61,318 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    To be fair, if they make a some kind of fleshlight for it, I can imagine a scenario where I would die with it on.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

  • Deleted user 3 September 2013 16:46:00
    That's the thing, people died playing MMOs because they're incredibly addictive. I don't think there's any evidence to say VR is addictive at all. If anything most seem to play on it a bit less than they would the same game without the VR, as it's more intense.

    Doesn't seem a bit needlessly scaremongery to suggest people will die playing it. Borderline Daily Mail reaction in fact.
  • Page

    of 63 First / Last

Log in or register to reply