The Oculus Rift; VR Finally comes of age?

• Page

of 58 First / Last

Previous
  • silentbob 2 Aug 2012 09:07:27 28,948 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    OK, couldn't find a thread for this (which surprised me).

As this thread was becoming a monster, I created a web dedicated to the Oculus Rift - head over to www.riftvr.com for my latest ramblings.

**** Below kept for reference ****

To me, it's one of the most exciting and significant developments in gaming peripherals for decades. And when I heard they'd fired up a Kickstarter project with the option to actually get your hands on a unit (should you pledge enough) - I barely hesitated.

It'd be good to have a thread with a collection of news, videos and updates / feedback from those who've pledged etc. So far:

--- Kickstarter Project page (rising at about $30,000 per hour at the moment)

--- Interesting E3 Interview with Carmack, with some details of his work on Doom 3 and obsession with head mounted displays. The relationship between the unit he uses in the video and the Oculus Rift are not transparently clear, but it seems to be close.

---- Edge feature - 10 Oculus Rift games they'd like to see.

---- Carmack's Quakecon 2012 keynote - fascinating insight to current HMD limitations and Carmack's involvement in the Rift project. Yes, it is 3 hours long, don't be a woofter and watch it anyway!

---- MTBS3D member hands-on, one of the most exciting and intriguing write up I've read: here

---- The beginning of the above thread with a full detailed review with a very early sample unit by Carmack with plenty of discussion and counterpoints by Palmer Luckey himself.

---- The full MTBS3D Rift thread here (starting at the point where most of us would be interested)

---- Joystiq's impressions of the Quakecon Rift demo.

---- RockPaperShotgun 'heads on' with the Rift.

---- Project Holodeck - using the Oculus Rift.

---- One of the best heads-on articles I've yet read from Penny-Arcade - again and again the same statements "it feels real".

---- Interview with Palmer at Siggraph

---- A pretty good write-up by Dvice of their experience of the Rift at Quakecon.

I think there's no doubt, even with the crappy low-res panels, this thing is incredible. Imagine what the imminent 2nd prototype will be like?

Dates for pledge rewards to ship are Nov 2012 for the self assembly kit ($275) and Dec 2012 for pre-assembled ($300). Both subject to $30 International Shipping BTW.

Can't wait to see where this goes.

Edited by silentbob at 09:28:46 13-08-2012

Edited by silentbob at 09:42:16 13-08-2012

Edited by silentbob at 14:08:44 05-09-2012

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• Mr-Brett 2 Aug 2012 09:15:21 12,723 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It looks great but I'd really need to demo it before putting money down.

Talking to Epic and Unity is a good idea, it's probably the best way to make this actually work. If they can persuade those guys to build support for it into the most popular engines then it might end up actually being usable in a number of games. On the other hand it may end up being the next Ambx...

Portable view - Never forget.

• neilka 2 Aug 2012 09:20:12 15,641 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It looks interesting but 640x800 per eye surely isn't going to cut the mustard these days.
  • LeoliansBro 2 Aug 2012 09:22:57 43,227 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Carmack's been on this ever since those dual screen goofy VR specs playing Doom waaaay back in the day.

It'd be perfect for a flight sim, or anything with a virtual cockpit. This plus an updated version of X Wing and I'd have a uncontrollable erection until the day I die...

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• LeoliansBro 2 Aug 2012 09:27:29 43,227 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hum.

How do you see where your hands are on the keyboard?

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• silentbob 2 Aug 2012 09:36:14 28,948 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Hum.

How do you see where your hands are on the keyboard?
    The demos show the player using a 360 pad, handily solving that particular problem. But yes, good question.

• kalel 2 Aug 2012 09:49:07 86,328 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Good stuff.
  • silentbob 2 Aug 2012 10:33:06 28,948 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Anyone else on here pledged $275 and up to receive the headset? Thread needs moar lists!

• neilka 2 Aug 2012 10:38:50 15,641 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've bought a poster. Bitches gon' be all up in my crib. Or something.
  • silentbob 2 Aug 2012 20:13:03 28,948 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Only hours away from $1M. Although I can't believe they didn't expect to exceed their initial target, I wonder if they dared hope for this much support.

Place your bets, $5M final total?

• silentbob 2 Aug 2012 20:15:27 28,948 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Check the comments section on KS for a refreshingly informative discussion , almost free of 'tards. What's more, Carmack himself is providing most of the buzz and technical insight as well as answering questions.

Edited by silentbob at 20:15:39 02-08-2012

• Kostabi 2 Aug 2012 20:37:02 4,874 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As much as I want to play with one of the dev kits I think I'll wait for a higher res consumer unit and support from one of the big racing sim developers before taking the plunge.
  • Fake_Blood 2 Aug 2012 20:42:57 4,063 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I can't say no to gaben and carmack.
  • silentbob 2 Aug 2012 20:54:59 28,948 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Kostabi wrote:
    As much as I want to play with one of the dev kits I think I'll wait for a higher res consumer unit and support from one of the big racing sim developers before taking the plunge.
    Sure.

I promise to tone down my feelings on how FUCKING AWESOME my dev unit is when it arrives. You've made the right, slightly dull, choice though. ;)

Edited by silentbob at 20:55:30 02-08-2012

• Kostabi 2 Aug 2012 21:21:07 4,874 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ha, I'll still be stupidly jealous when yours arrives.

If they can keep the retail price around the $300 mark I reckon this will be a monster.
  • silentbob 2 Aug 2012 21:28:37 28,948 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Lets face it, it'll be a bloody miracle if they manage to get half of the kits to people before February.

I just really liked the idea of having a prototype. If it ever did take off, quite a cool thing to own and to have helped launch.

I suspect, given the number of kits it looks like they're likely now to shift, the pre-release community and software releases could well be pretty vibrant.

• Deleted user 2 August 2012 22:35:31
    VR has proven itself to be as pointless and uninteresting for anything other than real simulators. Any device that requires the user to sit wearing a gimp mask that shuts them off from the rest of the world is going to instantly lose the interest of 95% of the relevant market.

I can see the interest in this for the military, although they already have better albeit more expensive equivalents, but this is extremely niche otherwise.
  • Deleted user 2 August 2012 22:36:15
    Bob, in his dreams tonight:

• spamdangled 3 Aug 2012 17:39:14 27,269 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Nice article over at EDGE:

10 Oculus Rift games we'd like to see.

Child of Eden is a good shout.

I'd go for Amnesia as wanted game. Can you imagine how shitting scary that would be in 3D with that level of immersion and headphones?

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• mal 3 Aug 2012 19:47:26 22,334 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Do you already have control of the camera in Child of Eden? I've been playing it like a singlestick rails shooter like Rez/Panzer Dragoon.

Some good ideas in that list (mostly the FPSes), and a floaty game like CoE makes sense, but I'm less convinced that it'll work in racing games. There's a level of disconnect between a screen and us that allows us to interpret camera shake as G-forces. I'm yet to be convinced that really works with a screen attached to your face. I suppose anyone with one of those Sony headsets could report back, but I dunno if anyone here was daft enough to splash out on one of those.

And frankly just because Minecraft is likely to be ported to the Rift, I don't see any great reason why it should.

Edit: Or is camera tied to leftstick when you move towards the edge of the screen, as in Rez? I really should put some more time into CoE - I think I've only completed the main game once overall.

Edited by mal at 19:49:16 03-08-2012

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Ginger 4 Aug 2012 13:44:45 6,826 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    so if this gives you camera control on your head, you just need move & shoot/act so you could do this on a nunchuck type controller.

hey should focus on getting this working with phones - there will be far more of them than consoles and it won't be long until they can handle the gfx output

London open taekwondo champion

• Fake_Blood 4 Aug 2012 14:44:59 4,063 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    No they should first focus on getting this running on pc.
    This will be one application where you'll want 60fps at all times.
  • spamdangled 4 Aug 2012 14:57:56 27,269 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    True that.

As much as I dislike Skyrim, I have to admit it would be pretty awesome exploring the world with an Oculus Rift.

*if* this does end up becoming a commercial product, I will be seriously tempted to pick one up. And if it does well enough, I hope MS take notice because it seems tailor made to work with Kinect to bring VR into the living room after so many years.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• silentbob 5 Aug 2012 19:59:05 28,948 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    Bob, in his dreams tonight:

Gosh! I'm thin aren't I?!

And .. not Caucasian. But broadly correct, yes.

Edited by silentbob at 20:02:33 05-08-2012

• Folant 5 Aug 2012 20:35:53 1,161 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I must be the only one not interested in this.

Yay for advancing tech, and all that. But as a perhiprial for playing video games, I just don't see it.

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• Deleted user 5 August 2012 20:45:47
    Sounds and looks great, it's perfect for our current shitty mainstream market of FPS games, camack supporting which is a huge boost, good luck to them
  • spamdangled 5 Aug 2012 22:14:16 27,269 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It would be nice to see the people supporting it in that kickstarter vid put their money where their mouth is and pledge support for the peripheral in their pc games. Left for dead or Half-Life support would be nice.

• mal 5 Aug 2012 22:38:28 22,334 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If I gave a shit about FPSes, I'd give a shit about this. As it is...

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• silentbob 6 Aug 2012 00:41:32 28,948 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Those who only see this as a 'peripheral' and at that, one only aimed at the FPS genre lack imagination (seems to fit). Also, how on earth any gamer couldn't see this as one of the most important developments in gaming for a decade or more is beyond me.

An affordable version of this device enables a player to be completely immersed in the gameworld, any gameworld. Damn near any genre can be enhanced, in some cases immeasurably, by this thing.

It amuses me that the people here decrying the device are also those bemoaning the lack of progress and originality in the industry, when this is the one of the most inventive devices to appear, ever! That slice of irony is sizeable indeed and proof, if it were needed, that those truly interested in new gaming experiences already pledged.

Edited by silentbob at 00:43:09 06-08-2012

• El_MUERkO 6 Aug 2012 02:21:44 16,949 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think it'll be awesome for flight sims and the like, but I'll let others develop it :)
  • Page

of 58 First / Last

Previous