of 1

Previous Next
  • Deleted user 1 August 2012 06:00:03
    'lo.

One stop question: What's better out of the following configs:

AMD A6-3400M
    8GB RAM
    Radeon HD 6520G

or for about $75 more (or 50 quid in real money)

A6-4455M
    4GB RAM
    Radeon HD 7500

Games I'm not overly bothered about (cba with new games, really), but would like to noodle around on older things like Mafia 2, Metro 2033 and whatever else is lying around my Steam account, though if it can't even handle them then I won't particularly cry about it.

Gonna be used mostly for photoshopping and HD video stuffs. Guessing the larger RAM would be better, but so out of touch with modern processors and GPUs I couldn't say.
  • THFourteen 1 Aug 2012 09:08:00 31,804 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You might want to have a quick google on youtube but most laptops you can upgrade the RAM fairly easily yourself (i just bought a 4gb stick on amazon for 17 and installed it myself in 5 minutes).

can't help with the decision though, although am amused by the "i dont want to play games but it would be nice if i could play games" comment :)
  • Deleted user 1 August 2012 14:10:36
    Yeah, I figured I could upgrade the RAM in the other one, but still. Cheaper = better.

It's mostly that I haven't kept up to date with modern processors or graphics cards, so don't have the slightest clue whether a 4455M is radically faster than a 3400M or just vaguely quicker. I miss the days when it was simply "Pentium + clockspeed = good".

Edited by meme at 14:10:48 01-08-2012
  • THFourteen 1 Aug 2012 14:37:56 31,804 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    theres a good site, either notebook review or notebook check which does laptop cpu and gpu benchmarks, maybe in there?
  • Dirtbox 1 Aug 2012 14:55:19 76,331 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Neither graphics card is going to be able to play anything particularly well, but they're about the same level. CPU doesn't count for much really, which puts it down to the ram. 8gb = not having to bother upgrading it, so go with that one.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• nickthegun 1 Aug 2012 14:57:21 55,849 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Since there isnt much in it, go for the one with the less shit body and keyboard.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Deleted user 1 August 2012 15:13:48
    Cheers. I figured the processors and whatnot were much of a muchness, but didn't want to just assume that and end up with something ridiculously crappy, and the benchmark sites I've found seemed to vary so much - mostly because they do it on the CPU or GPU alone and don't seem to take any other configuration into account, making it mostly meaningless to me.

Buuuut all that said, someone else has pointed me towards a slightly cheaper laptop with far superior specs which has proper reviews for it and everything. Even runs Skyrim well on medium (not that I give a fuck about Skyrim, but nice to know). Huzzah! Thanks anyway. xxxxx
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next