The Cult of Me (My first novel)

• Page

of 7 First / Last

Previous
  • TechnoHippy 24 Jul 2012 20:36:29 14,705 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago

So as I'm rapidly approaching my mid-life crisis (40 this Sunday) I thought I would celebrate by publishing my first novel rather than buying a fancy sports car. I'm not sure I've made the right choice :-)

The Cult of Me is a horror thriller with a supernatural bent. Here's the obligatory description:

For years he dwelt apart, watching those passing by and judging them. With his unique abilities he entered people's minds and inflicted terrible suffering on those who didn't even know he existed. The game lasted for years, but now the game has become stale. On an impulse he decides to make a final and very public last stand. After surrendering himself to the police he enacts his plan to seize the prison for his final bloody act.

Only he discovers that he's not as unique as he thought.

You can grab a sample of the first few chapters from the Amazon site, coincidently you can also purchase it there. Amazon provide a range of free viewers, so not owning a Kindle is no excuse for checking it out:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Cult-of-Me-ebook/dp/B008O7ZVXW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343156504&sr=8-1

I've also started a blog, there's not much there at the moment, but over time I'll be adding to it with my experiences: writing, publishing or otherwise:

http://thecultofme.blogspot.co.uk/

I'll also be happy to answer any questions or receive abuse in this very thread :-)

Edited by TechnoHippy at 20:51:22 24-07-2012

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Deleted user 24 July 2012 20:44:26
    Good man! always bloody impressed when someone has the discipline and creativity to put one of these out there. Will buy and add it to the pile of EG novels pile I seem to be building.
  • gang_of_bitches 24 Jul 2012 20:48:15 5,447 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not wanting to seem like a total twat, but aren't the tenses mixed up in that first sentence? I can't find a way in my mind to reconcile the two being different.

That being said, really well done. Producing 10,000 words at university nearly killed me.
  • TechnoHippy 24 Jul 2012 20:54:00 14,705 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tenses are my weak spot :-( Embarrassing - but thanks for spotting it.

I should also say that it was the National Novel Writing crew in this very forum that got me enthused and provided valuable feedback.

I'd also like to ask that if you like it to help spread the word. Any assistance is gratefully received.

• gang_of_bitches 24 Jul 2012 20:59:08 5,447 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @TechnoHippy

Will certainly take a look. I like the premise of the action happening post conviction rather than prior.
  • TechnoHippy 24 Jul 2012 21:03:13 14,705 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cool, I look forward to reading your comments. Be gentle with me though ;-)

• Deleted user 24 July 2012 21:06:31
    Woo! Good job, TH. Have stuck it on the wishlist, will grab it with the next paycheque.
  • mrpon 24 Jul 2012 21:16:50 28,692 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Was going to buy it and forward onto my buddies, but gang_of_bitches has just put me off.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• spamdangled 24 Jul 2012 21:20:54 27,276 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    gang_of_bitches wrote:
    @TechnoHippy

Will certainly take a look. I like the premise of the action happening post conviction rather than prior.
    Yes... "action".

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• andywilkie35 24 Jul 2012 21:25:57 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well done mate and sounds good, will pick it up on Kindle

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• mal 24 Jul 2012 21:41:02 22,406 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If you ever do a hardcopy edition, let me know. I do most of my reading on the bog to be honest, and I don't have a PC in there. I read Gremmi's book/pamplet on the throne which reminds me, if you do go paperback, try not to make it with covers that curl up by themselves, and put your name on the spine so I can find it when it's in my bookcase.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Deleted user 24 July 2012 21:45:32
    They wouldn't actually let me put anything on the spine :( I initially did it with some text on there and they rejected it, saying I had to leave it blank. Dunno why, the final copy had enough space for what I wanted.
  • Mr-Brett 24 Jul 2012 21:48:16 12,743 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm not one to judge a book by its cover but the "cult of" part of the title is conflicting with the window in the background. You could put a small outline around the text :)

Portable view - Never forget.

• Blerk Moderator 24 Jul 2012 22:08:58 48,225 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I read the previous draft of this and it's a cracking yarn with some nice and unexpected twists. If you like your supernaturals and your anti-heroes then you'll probably have a good time with it.

That'll be a tenner, Techno! :D

Also: Congrats, dude! I hope you become rich and famous! Perhaps one day I'll finally get my finger out and publish mine. :)
  • localnotail 24 Jul 2012 22:23:06 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh well done - I really enjoyed reading the original draft as well, some really nice ideas. Good luck!

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Deleted user 24 July 2012 22:32:36
    What LNT said, hope it does well for you
  • Nanocrystal 25 Jul 2012 01:28:30 1,012 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Best of luck with this TH! I remember being rather impressed reading it last year. How long did you spend editing it?

Wish I had the gumption to get my novel published... maybe one day.
  • sunjumper 25 Jul 2012 02:00:32 3,194 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Remember how I promised to the NaNoWriMo guys who finished that I'd liked their books so much I'd buy them instantly if they ever got to publishing them?

Well here we go.

Bought.

P.S.
    Or not as I need to have Kindle to read buy it?!
    Meh. I will wrangle with Amazon again tomorrow when I am awake again, I think that I can instal the reader softwareon my computer or something.
    It is just a delay, though.

P.P.S
    Who needs sleep anyway?
    Problem solved.
    I hate to encourage monopolists in their corrupt ways, but it was for the greater good.
    Edited by sunjumper at 02:05:15 25-07-2012

Edited by sunjumper at 02:19:13 25-07-2012
  • TechnoHippy 25 Jul 2012 07:23:50 14,705 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Blerk

Thanks for the kind words and I do hope to see your watery horror available sometime soon. If I can help in any way, just let me know.

@localnotail

Thanks - did you ever finish your effort from last year? In not you should, I'd love to know how it ended.

@Nanocrystal

I've spent most of the time since finishing the first draft in November. At least 2 hours a day during the week and 8 hours a day at the weekends. The feedback that various people have provided has been a big boost and a big help.

Thanks to all have purchased a copy. And if you're one of these social network types, or know people who might be interested then please spread the word.

Edited by TechnoHippy at 07:27:57 25-07-2012

Edited by TechnoHippy at 07:28:22 25-07-2012

• localnotail 25 Jul 2012 07:56:57 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I bought a copy but need to change card details and have forgotten where my wallet is.

I haven't returned to mine due to work / baby pressures, but still want to lay out the rest of the story - I was only ~1/4 through when I hit 50k. Story deserves an end though, and it's quite an entertaining one in the plan. Hopefully I'll get some time once I've got the hang of the baby stuff. Want to change voice too.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• TechnoHippy 25 Jul 2012 08:48:36 14,705 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    As I commented while you were writing it, it's not my kind of thing but I still felt drawn into the world. Looking forward to reading it when you get round to it.

• madwlf 25 Jul 2012 09:23:38 74 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    /ordered sounds like my thing

Edited by madwlf at 09:24:10 25-07-2012
  • Fab4 25 Jul 2012 09:39:07 5,986 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you do become rich and famous, and therefore, by default, disliked, you do realise what they will change 'Cult' to, right? ;)

I don't have an e-reader but it sounds like a good read. I'd love to write a novel, but I don't have one in me :)
  • TechnoHippy 25 Jul 2012 11:37:45 14,705 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Amazon do free viewer's for most platforms - and for million pounds people can call me whatever they like :-)

• Metalfish 25 Jul 2012 11:41:40 8,818 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I feel bad for not completing my feedback for this, now. Good luck!
  • TechnoHippy 25 Jul 2012 12:45:45 14,705 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No worries, the bit you sent was invaluable. Thanks for the help.

• MetalDog 25 Jul 2012 13:21:59 23,697 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nice one Techno and good luck!
    Also let us know if papery version becomes available, much preferable for me and easier to sign. Will pony up for e version anyway, so two sales if you do that ;)

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• TechnoHippy 25 Jul 2012 13:41:32 14,705 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Excellent - thanks. I do need to look into a paper edition. Find ut how much it costs. Maybe I should pick meme's brain.

• TechnoHippy 25 Jul 2012 15:46:02 14,705 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well I am apprently 9th in the Fantasy Horror section, which is nice. Until I check the actual sales where I haven't really sold tht many. Amazon's rankings are a bit mental, still it's a top ten position so I'm focusing on th epositive :-)

• Blerk Moderator 25 Jul 2012 15:54:28 48,225 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well done, sir! :champ:
  • Page

of 7 First / Last

Previous