Post bad ebay sellers here. A++!!! WUD YOUSE AGIN

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • 1Dgaf 23 Jul 2012 12:36:50 3,976 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I had a quick look and couldn't find one of these threads. It would be useful if posted dodgy eBay sellers here so other people can check before buying.

I'm going to see how my issue is resolved before posting the name. I just recieved a 'Like new, flawless' copy of Tony Hawk's Project 8 from a top seller. Cost me almost £10; paid more for a like-new copy.

Description was accurate as long as the game didn't come with a manual and the disc had been used as a skateboard.

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

www.isawthatyearsago.com - a retro film podcast

• DUFFMAN5 23 Jul 2012 12:52:37 15,398 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Good call, might be useful.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• DUFFMAN5 23 Jul 2012 12:53:35 15,398 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I bought a £35 psn code about 2 hours ago, I should get the code asap, if so will report back here with name of seller ;)

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• dominalien 23 Jul 2012 12:54:40 7,065 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    "asap" is a very relative term.

PSN: DonOsito

• 1Dgaf 23 Jul 2012 13:38:03 3,976 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    redjulie1967

She said the game didn't specify it came with a manual, though the listing was described as 'like new, flawless and intact'.

She said she'll refund cost of game, I'm waiting to see if she'll refund postage too.

Even if she refunds the postage, I'd be wary of a seller that thinks intact games don't include manuals and flawless means scratched.

Edited by 1Dgaf at 13:39:40 23-07-2012

• 1Dgaf 23 Jul 2012 15:55:35 3,976 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Why the fuck did I say 'would use again' in the title?

• DFawkes 23 Jul 2012 16:40:58 24,052 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    She really loves using "Like New" for everything. I don't think she knows what that means, and assumes it just means the same condition she acquired it in. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume "Like New" means it's like a new one! Maybe she doesn't even know there are other options?

I think she may be crazy.

Edited by DFawkes at 16:43:56 23-07-2012

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Stringer_Bell 23 Jul 2012 19:29:53 190 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    rodpad wrote:
    eBay sellers as in Eurogamers who are selling on eBay?

If not then this thread might be pretty useless for outing the millions of eBay fraudsters.
    We're making the world a better place one name at a time!

'There's no cure for being a c***' - Bronn

• 1Dgaf 23 Jul 2012 21:58:27 3,976 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    People selling on eBay, yes. Maybe it should only list top rated sellers. Mbut it could be coolif we can avoid a situation like mine, where a top-rated seller with high feedback sends stuff with isn't right. (Agreing to refund post fact doesn't stop the hassle.)

Increasingly, I only use top-rated sellers to buy games just to avoid this kind of thing. If I could have a place, apart from eBay feedback, which lists issues with them I think it would be good. Every business will have bumps, but if we could list some we'd have something to watch out for.

• Syrette 23 Jul 2012 22:32:29 44,222 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Get your games from the swapsies thread next time!

Can recall very few negative experiences that anyone has had with another forumite, but maybe someone was blacklisted before my time.

• 1Dgaf 28 Jul 2012 01:41:19 3,976 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Credit it where it's due. The seller refunded the money and paid return postage. Whentherenwas a cock upon the postage refund, I had to pay the fee, she sent the fee to me.

So she handled it well. Apart from the description issue, she's a good seller.

• MadCaddy13 28 Jul 2012 08:39:32 2,060 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I never buy second hand stuff on eBay - it's always a disappointment. I bought a Boss ME-50 from this guy which said he hardly used it - near new etc, got it and it was literally fucked. Almost all the distortion sounds sounded the same and it would cut off now and again etc. But I'm nice guy and when I got my refund I didn't ask for him to refund the postage back (£12.50) and just took it as a lesson learned - don't buy second hand on eBay!!
    Other lessons learned - ALWAYS do recorded delivery no matter what. Lost 80 quid because I didn't spend the extra 70p on recorded.
  • 1Dgaf 28 Jul 2012 13:13:34 3,976 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes, I always send stuff back recorded and forward the tracking number.

Treating lost money as a lesson learned is a good mindset; but in this case the feedback rating was so high I thought I was putting the lesson into practice.

Anyway, got the game at an higher rated seller, cheaper and in excellent condition.

• DFawkes 28 Jul 2012 16:25:03 24,052 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I noticed the other copies of the game she has are now downgraded to Good rather than Like New - did she have both before? Also, Good still sound too nice a description for what you got.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Fake_Blood 28 Jul 2012 16:48:06 4,451 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dont buy meds from WillFqUup89.
    Insert said nothing about oily discharge.
  • 1Dgaf 28 Jul 2012 17:22:56 3,976 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't know if she had both before; I just looked at the feedback and the description. The game did work - but I was quite surprised that it did.

If I was going to sell that, I'd list its condition as poor, with the box quality being average.

• Cappy 28 Jul 2012 17:36:12 12,117 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If a listing uses stock images or has none at all, I ask questions. Even if there are pictures, if I can't see something, such as a manual, once again I ask.

Some sellers are sneaky and use an innocuous shot of the case open displaying the contents, disc, check! Manual, check! Looks like it's all there...

The game turns up with the cover artwork missing. I didn't caught like that ever again.

In summary: In the absence of pictures depicting exactly what you are getting, ask for a description and verify the presence of everything that should be there. At the very least, in the event of a dispute, their message will be enough to nail them on the grounds that they didn't deliver what they promised.

Addendum: Never trust in the common sense of the person on the other side of the transaction. If the item is fragile for instance, don't just hope it turns up without somebody stamping on it, make sure they do what anybody should be doing, use bubblewrap etc.
  • 1Dgaf 28 Jul 2012 19:54:24 3,976 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes, all good advice. I once bought a boardgame - only for a few quid from a high-ranking seller - for which the photo was a picture of the box with some of the game's cards on top.

The cards covered a tear on the box.

• skuzzbag 28 Jul 2012 21:14:05 5,734 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Someone refused an amp from me once as they said "It has a huge dent in the top". They showed a photo of how the box arrived and it was squashed and indeed had a nasty hole in the top.

When it came back there was no dent (or mark) on the actual amplifier at all. Seems they refused a very good amp for a bargain price on the basis that the delivery box wasn't up to scratch!

Very odd.
  • Sunno 13 Aug 2012 10:58:53 156 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    So i'm currently bidding on an jacket on ebay. I've never used the highest bid thing before so thought i'd give it a go and put £20 on. I've been the only bidder the last couple of days so am winning at 99p. Then i get two emails this morning. One says i was outbid then straight away one says their bid was retracted so i'm the highest again at £20.

I check the bid history and 1 other person has increased their bid by £1 everytime until they got above my bid and then retracted. If you ask me this is clearly not right. Their feedback is generally good but there is some negative saying they never posted the item so there is no way i'm gonna pay that much now. I'm also sure that if i paid anything less they would just never send it anyway.

I reported them for misuse of bid retraction to view the highest bid amount.

Anybody else ever come across anything like this? It's the first time i have.
  • Rusty_M 13 Aug 2012 11:03:41 4,930 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Looks like potential shill bidding

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.
    http://www.twitch.tv/rusty_the_robot
    http://twitter.com/Rusty_The_Robot

• Sunno 13 Aug 2012 11:13:45 156 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Rusty_M Yeah, I had a read up about that. The auction ends later today so i guess i'll just have to see what happens.
  • Phily50 13 Aug 2012 11:15:39 2,219 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just report it to eBay. They can look at the overall account history.
  • Rusty_M 13 Aug 2012 11:22:06 4,930 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Didn't someone have criminal proceedings brought against them due to such practices?

• Sunno 13 Aug 2012 11:36:32 156 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm not sure, might have a look in to it. I've already reported for viewing highest bid amount. Will report it later for possible shill bidding.

So frustrating though as it's an item i've been looking for for ages and finally found it.
  • Sunno 13 Aug 2012 12:03:45 156 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Received an email from ebay already (within an hour) saying that they have looked into it and taken the appropriate action and i also don't have to pay. Pretty quick!
  • Rusty_M 13 Aug 2012 12:16:48 4,930 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sunno wrote:
    Received an email from ebay already (within an hour) saying that they have looked into it and taken the appropriate action and i also don't have to pay. Pretty quick!
    well it looked pretty clear-cut from what you said

\o/

• YenRug 5 Sep 2012 00:18:54 2,439 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If anyone comes across someone using the eBay ID "nigew1", I'd suggest keeping clear of him, he seems a tad confused about things...

A few weeks ago I won a big network server in a competition, unfortunately it's barebones and I'd need to spend about £400 buying hard-drives to make it usable; it's about £650 new, so I put it on eBay as a BIN for £600 for 30 days. On Sunday, he sent me this message:

nigew1: Would you accept an offer of £500 for your NAS?

Me: Hi, sorry to say, not looking for offers on this at the moment.

nigew1: I only asked because I found I could get one delivered new at £640...
    Considering I offered delivery at £27, that's still £13 more, which doesn't really make much sense.

Me: Hi, not quite seeing the logic: you want to offer me £100 less because you can pay more for it somewhere else? Whilst I'm not a business, the item is new and still in its box; the only thing I have done is lift the lid to make sure there is something in there, I have not touched the contents at all.

nigew1: That is the point, your not in business and a not sold much in the last 12 months. its about trust, feedback, and the market, and lets face it, not much is selling at the moment, hence the offer. I appreciate that it is new and you have good feedback. We are all in the sh1t together with not much business happening. I've got 4 servers to offload!
    If you want to hold out its your shout. I have other options like the new synology DS412+ at £400 (reduced from £529)...
    Bonne chance.
    Can anyone else understand quite what his point is here? He seems a little confused, thinking that I have to be in a rush to sell it, because..... well, who said it has to make sense, eh?
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous