Dealing with motion sickness during FPS games

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • -cerberus- 21 Jul 2012 20:49:00 2,453 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    A friend of mine just got an xbox 360S and Bioshock 2. She's never played video game with a first-person perspective before and about fifteen minutes in, she had to turn it off and lay down because she experienced dizziness.

Has anyone else experienced motion sickness with FPS games before? And what do you recommend doing about it (other than not playing them...)?

Edited by -cerberus- at 20:49:49 21-07-2012

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• FuzzyDuck 21 Jul 2012 20:54:00 3,913 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've never experienced it myself, but knew a guy who almost barfed from playing an FPS.

I think some (very few) games allow you to turn off the camera sway?
  • Dirtbox 21 Jul 2012 20:54:26 77,476 posts
    Seen 45 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    More than anything, it's due to the frankly terrible FOV in console games. Anything below 75-80 degrees will fuck with people who are sensitive to that type of thing. Most console FPS games are locked from as low as 50 up to 70 at most to reduce the onscreen polycount.

Bioshock has notorious FOV problems.

Edited by Dirtbox at 21:01:21 21-07-2012

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• -cerberus- 21 Jul 2012 21:04:58 2,453 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Dirtbox I remember the original 360 version of Bioshock offering a FOV lock (or something like that?) option that could be turned on or off but I don't recall it being there in Bioshock 2... Bummer.

• JetSetWilly 21 Jul 2012 21:07:52 5,721 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How close is she sitting to the screen? I find sitting as far away as practicable helps ease, if not eliminate, it for me. Last game I had an issue with was Rage.
  • -cerberus- 21 Jul 2012 21:11:58 2,453 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @EyeLand: First thing that crossed my mind right after creating this topic ;) Will do.
    @JetSetWilly: About two meters, I believe.

• Folant 21 Jul 2012 21:19:59 1,161 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    15 minute break every hour?

Or hour break every 15 minutes?

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• andytheadequate 21 Jul 2012 21:22:41 8,081 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Always turn off camera sway if possible. Apart from that all I can think of is to take a lot of breaks and don't play in long bursts. I had to give up on half life 2 because of motion sickness. Portal 1 was bad for it too

Edited by andytheadequate at 14:55:38 22-12-2012
  • JetSetWilly 21 Jul 2012 21:37:16 5,721 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dialling down the sensitivity of the camera controls might help too. If the view shifts more slowly that should be better.

Edited by JetSetWilly at 21:37:41 21-07-2012
  • Armoured_Bear 21 Jul 2012 22:57:26 10,292 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    More than anything, it's due to the frankly terrible FOV in console games. Anything below 75-80 degrees will fuck with people who are sensitive to that type of thing. Most console FPS games are locked from as low as 50 up to 70 at most to reduce the onscreen polycount.

Bioshock has notorious FOV problems.
    Please eXplain, I though FOV was field of view and related to a aspect ratio.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Load_2.0 21 Jul 2012 23:02:51 18,919 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wolfenstein 3D.

/Pukes
  • dominalien 21 Jul 2012 23:13:13 6,839 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Primal made me want to puke. TPS, though.

Rage, too. FPS, this.

No other, luckily. Definitely tied to camera work (speed of panning, that sort of thing).

IIRC, Mirror's Edge offered a "central point" to lessen discomfort, after they found some people had problems in testing.

Apparently, there are some people who are just sensitive to this and there's not much can be done.

Sorry to hear about your friend's discomfort. I hope the bobbing motion doesn't bother her otherwise.

PSN: DonOsito

• johnson81 22 Jul 2012 01:04:36 373 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've had a few times before not as much as my brother though. He has a lazy eye and cannot cope with FPS games at all.

Play with the lights on, play when not tired, sit far away from the screen and take regular breaks. It's horrible when it happens, but I know people that can play for hours without feeling it.
  • Lucodeath 22 Jul 2012 03:23:20 7 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @EyeLand
    Same here, both accounts. Even looking at my phone or map while being a passenger makes me blow chunks.

(Before someone says it, chunks aint my pet or anything.)

Edited by Lucodeath at 03:24:50 22-07-2012
  • -cerberus- 22 Jul 2012 08:31:27 2,453 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Lucodeath wrote:
    @EyeLand
    Same here, both accounts. Even looking at my phone or map while being a passenger makes me blow chunks.

(Before someone says it, chunks aint my pet or anything.)
    Lol :D Brilliant!

Anyway, thank you gentlemen for your feedback!

• Plant 22 Jul 2012 10:04:35 247 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've never had a problem except for playing borderlands on the 360. I could literally only manage about 20 mins before I had to turn it off. Strangely I never had any problems with eithe Bioshock or mirrors edge.
  • Deleted user 22 July 2012 10:27:12
    Prey made me feel really ill at times, when I had to walk along those (magnetic pathways?) and suddenly the ceiling became the floor and vice versa :o
  • wayneh 22 Jul 2012 10:31:31 2,285 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The only time I suffer is when the frame rate drops and you get a very slight almost imperceptible stutter, my brain can't cope and it makes me nauseas and gives me a headache if it goes on too long.

Act like a dumbshit and they will treat you as an equal

• jellyhead 22 Jul 2012 12:20:30 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    As the others have suggested turn off head bobbing/camera sway, adjust the camera sensitivity and increase the FOV if possible. They work for me, especially turning off or lowering the head-bob/camera sway.

Otherwise i have to come back when i'm less tired or have better lighting.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Oh-Bollox 22 Jul 2012 16:23:08 5,164 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ginger can help mitigate the effects. Ginger beer, crystallized ginger, etc although a friend of mine swears by M&S ginger cookies which are lovely and don't taste like cheap ginger snap biscuits.
  • RobTheBuilder 22 Jul 2012 16:35:00 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Only two games that have ever given me motion sickness or a feeling of stomach movement are Crackdown (when you jump off a tall building) and Pandemonium back on the PSX.
  • mal 22 Jul 2012 19:24:33 22,340 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If a game has a 45 degree (diagonal) FOV then you should sit as far away from the screen as the TV's diagonal. Further away, tighter, and closer, more wide. Really, FPSes played on most TVs ought to have a very tight FOV if they want to replicate what it would look like if the screen really was a portal into the world (albeit 2D, but with correct perspective) since you normally sit further away than the screen diagonal.

PCs have less of a problem as it's usual to sit closer to the screen, and with a sufficently large monitor you can easily be sitting within the required foot or two.

That's my theory anyway. Mind you, most magical flat windows into an alien world don't move and whirl around while you're sat still.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• SolidSCB 22 Jul 2012 19:35:24 6,405 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    A friend of mine had this something fierce after switching from SD to HD. The solution for him ended up being wearing a pair of sunglasses for a while. Bloody mental, but something to look at all the same if you're suffering.
  • jabberwoky 23 Jul 2012 12:22:11 467 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I once had car sickness and took a pinch of powdered ginger from supermarkets and it cured it. Longshot but if you have any in the house you could try it.
  • zonipoi 23 Jul 2012 17:30:07 17 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Half-Life 2 on the Xbox is the only game ever that I have felt sick after 30 minutes. Which is really weird as it is literally the only game I couldn't play.
  • neilka 23 Jul 2012 17:31:46 15,667 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    A friend of mine had this something fierce after switching from SD to HD. The solution for him ended up being wearing a pair of sunglasses for a while. Bloody mental, but something to look at all the same if you're suffering.
    I bet that made him look like...

/puts on sunglasses

...a bit of a cunt.
  • Rufus 23 Jul 2012 18:39:15 1,754 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've had problems with The Conduit on Wii and Killzone 2 on PS3. Both have made me feel nauseous to the point where I've had to lay down*. KZ2 was the worst, mainly due the shaky cam effect as you move through each level. I was over the moon when I found out it had largely gone in KZ3.

*I await some hilarious "because they're both shit" type jokes
  • SolidSCB 23 Jul 2012 18:41:30 6,405 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    SolidSCB wrote:
    I bet that made him look like...

/puts on sunglasses

...a bit of a cunt.
    He didn't need any help with looking like a cunt!
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous