Haggling with an insurance company

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Immaterial 19 Jul 2012 22:23:59 1,320 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So I managed to break my 4 year old games laptop 'beyond economic repair' (tangled the power cable round my foot while walking away from the table). The insurance company have agreed to the claim and replace on a like for like basis. Naturally, their idea of like-for-like isn't the same as mine, and they are offering a slightly derisory voucher for 650 valid at Curry's or PC World. The SHAME.

The original lappy cost 1500 (Rock Xtreme 770). I get the twin forces of depreciation and that Moore's Law and its equivalents for other components are in effect. I would, however, like to push them up by a couple of hundred quid if I'm restricted to PC World for the replacement lappy. Anyone got any advice on tactics to increase the valuation apart from FTUTA?

(Yes, I know a desktop is far, far superior but unfortunately Real Life means I have to restrict my computing real estate to a laptop/desktop replacement.)
    Fanks.

Think I'll just switch everything off.

• Load_2.0 19 Jul 2012 22:30:43 18,919 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Next call tell them you own a hand gun, that should expedite a settlement.
  • mrpon 19 Jul 2012 22:34:11 28,476 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wouldn't you get about 200 for it on Ebay?

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• DFawkes 19 Jul 2012 22:34:46 22,605 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Don't give up. My mate fought them on a similar issue, but the main reason he was successful is because they made up their price list for their "like for like" machine. They gave a list of prices & suppliers, and he sent back print outs from those suppliers websites stating the exact prices (hundreds more than they claimed). So set out precisely what you'd need for an identical machine. Make sure it has everything the old one has.

Probably a lot harder with a laptop of course, and I'm not sure what they've actually sent you - have they stated precisely what the replacement machine should be?

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• BravoGolf Moderator 19 Jul 2012 22:35:06 12,740 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Price seems about right but you could request that you purchase elsewhere if they approve in advance the store/site and provide invoice after the fact.
  • ronuds 19 Jul 2012 22:50:01 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've never heard of getting a voucher! Do like DFawkes says, though. You need to prove it's worth more, although blindly complaining might net you a few extra quid.
  • DangerM0use 20 Jul 2012 01:19:21 740 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I managed to up mine from about 400 to 700, I just argued that the screen res I had on the old one was vastly superior to anything that I could get for the price and that was the most important thing.
  • Immaterial 20 Jul 2012 12:11:57 1,320 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cheers for the suggestions. Unfortunately I've never has much success when firearms are involved in negotiating, especially after that blag went wrong back in '93.

Good points on the screen and looking at other authorised suppliers. I doubt I can get more money out of them on a component cost basis considering the age of the machine.

• Immaterial 21 Jul 2012 07:37:16 1,320 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's in the first line of the first post, but thanks for your contribution.

• Immaterial 23 Jul 2012 22:11:17 1,320 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Update: I got the insurance company to up the cash a little bit by whining at them, and they gave me a list of other retail places that they issued vouchers for, so it's all good. Weeeee new toy shall be MINE.

• Page

of 1

Previous Next