New England Road Trip

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Fletche 16 Jul 2012 09:48:55 3,418 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It is a long way off (well Sep '13) but after the success of the Vegas/San Francisco/LA trip the planning has begun for a road trip around New England, starting with three days in New York, followed by a train to Boston and then 14 days of exploration.

Anyone been? And if so, where is a must visit? Hoping to do all six states starting and ending in Boston.
  • localnotail 16 Jul 2012 10:02:25 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    3 days is not enough for New York. When you say New England, how far down does that include?

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Fletche 16 Jul 2012 10:11:01 3,418 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah, would like longer in New York but with limited time we want to try and fit as much in as possible, plus we can always go back at another time.

As for New England the most southern point we would be looking at it the Connecticut/Rhode Island coast although I think most of the trip would be more targeted at the north, so Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine.
  • Trafford 16 Jul 2012 10:31:33 5,644 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I like Vermont, the Von Trapp family settled there dontcha know.
    Good for hiking and mountain biking.
    Ben&Jerry's factory tour is a must.
  • TheSaint 16 Jul 2012 10:35:47 14,201 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If possible you'd be much better going in late October for the stunning Autumn scenery.
  • Fab4 16 Jul 2012 11:33:13 5,980 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You should visit Kennebunkport...lovely little town. Plus you can go and see the Bush family residence just outside the town (and quite probably get your photo on an FBI file :D)

Then there is Cranberry World in Plymouth, or visit one of the cranberry farms that are open to the public. They usually make their own cranberry wine, which is gorgeous.

Edit: It would seem that Cranberry World is no longer...shame.

Edited by Fab4 at 11:46:29 16-07-2012
  • Fletche 16 Jul 2012 12:25:32 3,418 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    :( I was quite taken with Cranberry World, Kennebunkport is one town on the list so far, after picking the car up in Boston will be a nice short(ish) drive for the first day.

Was hoping to go in October but Mrs Fletche has an exam so have had to compromise with late September, hopefully the colours changes will have begun, up north anyway, plus will miss Columbus Day
  • Flying_Pig 16 Jul 2012 14:29:40 10,730 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Only been to Boston, but really liked it. It'll be a nice change after the bustle of NY.

In terms of Boston, I'd focus on the City Centre, and ignore Harvard and Boston Tea party stuff. We did go up to USS Constitution (old US iron clad), but how much you enjoy it, really depends on how interested in US history etc you are.

One thing we didn't do, but wish we had was to see a baseball game at Fenway Park (Boston Red Sox) - I don't know whether they play baseball in September, and it's pretty expensive, but I'm gutted we didn't do it.
  • Fab4 16 Jul 2012 14:38:13 5,980 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    Only been to Boston, but really liked it. It'll be a nice change after the bustle of NY.

In terms of Boston, I'd focus on the City Centre, and ignore Harvard and Boston Tea party stuff. We did go up to USS Constitution (old US iron clad), but how much you enjoy it, really depends on how interested in US history etc you are.

One thing we didn't do, but wish we had was to see a baseball game at Fenway Park (Boston Red Sox) - I don't know whether they play baseball in September, and it's pretty expensive, but I'm gutted we didn't do it.
    I managed to see (we were in the bleachers so seeing is a relative term) a Red Sox game. You didn't miss much. The same ambiance can be recreated with a bunch of drunk people and a beachball. :D

Edited by Fab4 at 14:38:36 16-07-2012
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next