Uplay nonsense

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • barkertron 15 Jul 2012 11:39:27 1 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I bought Anno 2070 in the Steam sale - yay! Just sat down, slightly hung over, looking forward to a relaxing Sunday lunchtime of making buildings and all that. Awesome.

Except it's not awesome at all. I can not play the game without first registering with Uplay, Ubisoft's online service. Which happens to be down right now, making playing the game I have just bought impossible.

There have been enough (highly justified) rants about games requiring an "always on" connection in recent times so I don't want to make it a lengthy one, but seriously - if you're going to make this kind of crap a requirement then at least back it up with a reliable enough service. This case is especially egregious for two reasons:

1) The single player part of the game doesn't have any need to access the service whatsoever - it's not a Diablo 3 kind of situation where there is any kind of online persistence, auction house or whatever.
    2) All I need to do is create an account. This is not some kind of high-end uber-complex peer-to-peer networking function. It's basically a login form on a website.

So Ubisoft , please stop foisting this shit on us. It is making me a very angry man and I have started to pine for my Megadrive.
  • Gland 15 Jul 2012 13:08:28 78,445 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Don't buy ubisoft games. Problem solved.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• THFourteen 15 Jul 2012 13:54:57 33,835 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As much as i am enjoying Heroes of Might and Magic VI, i had exactly the same issues when i first bought it. Couldnt create an account, so couldnt play.

ended up just downloading a cracked version and playing that. The servers came back up after a couple of months and i created an account, now i play offline. which means i miss out on all the dynasty stuff and cloud saves and what not

ubisoft are a bunch of morons.
  • jellyhead 15 Jul 2012 14:15:07 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I bought ACII & Brotherhood second-hand on 360 from a mate because of their DRM. It's a shame because they've had some interesting releases lately. Which i won't buy until they go back to one-time online activations which is no different to steam.

Online requirement for single player games? Sod off.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• vijay_UK 15 Jul 2012 14:19:07 2,260 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The perils of 3rd party DRM. :(

Here's a list of games on Steam that are 'affected' by 3rd part DRM, this may help with your decision making regarding purchases.

http://steamdrm.flibitijibibo.com/index.php?page=DRM_Lists/The_Big_DRM_List

ps. Regarding Anno 2070, apparently offline mode is available after registering/updating the game.
  • FarFromSane 15 Jul 2012 15:30:05 241 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I bought from dust yesterday and got that ubisoft crap. If a I remembered it being a ubisoft game I don't think I would have bothered.

Somewhere out there, a neurotic chicken wants to cross the road but is paralyzed by the knowledge that everyone will question his motives

• figgis 15 Jul 2012 17:04:39 7,376 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    vijay_UK wrote:

ps. Regarding Anno 2070, apparently offline mode is available after registering/updating the game.
    Cheers for that, in same boat as OP.
  • bad09 16 Jul 2012 11:22:12 6,005 posts
    Seen 7 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    I bought ACII & Brotherhood second-hand on 360 from a mate because of their DRM. It's a shame because they've had some interesting releases lately. Which i won't buy until they go back to one-time online activations which is no different to steam.

Online requirement for single player games? Sod off.
    "most" of their games are now one-time activations or have offline modes, Brotherhood even worked for me when I could not log into the shite DRM servers for activation.

"most" of their games will work offline just not with the Uplay "goodies" and for the most part the Uplay nonsense is largely a waste of everyone's time (including the devs) anyway.

You just have research what these numpties are doing to each individual game sadly.
  • Deleted user 16 July 2012 11:26:20
    Don't buy shitty ubisoft games, problem solved.
  • bad09 16 Jul 2012 11:28:36 6,005 posts
    Seen 7 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Don't buy shitty ubisoft games, problem solved.
    There is that to :)

Just read something that may make some come to that conclusion again actually even with their always online DRM relaxing.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07/16/udontplay-ubidrm-servers-wobble-during-steam-sale/

Oh dear, will they never learn..
  • Cosquae 30 Jul 2012 11:51:11 1,227 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    And now comes with a free added vulnerability to the security of your PC!

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07/30/psa-possible-security-risk-in-some-ubisoft-pc-games/

So you may not be able to play your games, but someone else can play on your PC...
  • OldCrow 30 Jul 2012 11:58:32 148 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Sounds just as bad as games for Windows.

I've not had a Ubisoft game on PC as of yet, got them all on my consoles. Only time I've ever played ACR online was at GAMEfest, bought it pre-owned for my PS3 and needed a Uplay code, annoys its audience and on PC encourages piracy.
  • Whizzo 30 Jul 2012 16:26:19 43,187 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's been fixed now.

This space left intentionally blank.

• bad09 16 Aug 2012 19:20:24 6,005 posts
    Seen 7 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Uplay goes a step further today now another store/client like Steam and origin. :rolleyes:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/08/16/ubisoft-challenge-steam-and-origin-with-uplay-from-dust-and-driver-san-francisco-are-1/

Edited by bad09 at 19:20:34 16-08-2012
  • Deleted user 16 August 2012 19:22:45
    The one advantage to this is that I now have Settlers downloadable again. Bought it from the Ubi store when it was 3 quid or something ridiculous, but they only gave me a one-shot download for it. Bought From Dust a couple of days ago which logged me into this new Uplay store thing, only to have all my past Ubi purchases already there with big flashing download buttons.
  • bad09 16 Aug 2012 19:27:48 6,005 posts
    Seen 7 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    LOL! Just whacked the thing into "always offline" and even UPlay knows Ubi has shit DRM "Uplay is offline some game will only work in online mode"

Seriously if you got me having to use another of these stupid fucking clients (one that's basically some ad space for your F2P crap) you could at least drop the UbiDRM completely :)
  • Tomo 30 Jun 2013 13:27:11 13,946 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Seriously, fuck UPlay up the cunt.

I just want to play Far Cry 3 and I have spent the last 25 minutes trying to log in to my account. I've reset the password about 6 times and it still isn't working.

FUCK UBISOFT

/rant over
  • Tomo 30 Jun 2013 13:27:58 13,946 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    And now they've locked me out of my account for 15 minutes...

FUCK UBISOFT
  • Tomo 30 Jun 2013 13:28:39 13,946 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I am never installing another free game on UPlay again. I'd rather pay the privilege NOT to use the platform.
  • Physically_Insane 30 Jun 2013 14:06:16 8,990 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I really wish shitty services like Origin and UPlay would just accept that Steam is superior and concentrate their resources on making better games rather than maintaining their own shitty service that nobody wants. They must know 90% of their users don't want it and are only using it because they are forced to. Are they that oblivious?
  • drip 30 Jun 2013 14:40:05 4,294 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    What really annoys me is: when I buy a game on Steam, I have Steam's DRM already. Games bought on Steam shouldn't be allowed to then install another DRM platform. Either sell your game on Steam without uPlay or Games for Windows Live or any of that crap, or don't sell it on Steam. Either eat the cake or have it.

For once, EA is actually more honest here. They decided for Origin and against Steam.
  • PenguinJim 30 Jun 2013 15:05:42 5,906 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I was using Uplay a couple of months ago, and... there's something quite nice in there. :o Playing games unlocks achievements, and those achievements give you points, which you can spend on tiny bits of DLC or costumes... for any other game on Uplay. I like that! (I doubt anyone keeps a list of my personal likes/dislikes handy, but I'm rather anti-Ubisoft. So there. :p)

And Physically_Insane is right, I wish shitty services like Xbox and Playstation would just accept that Nintendo is superior and start making better games for Nintendo's console instead. ;)
  • Tomo 30 Jun 2013 15:30:24 13,946 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh my god...

I finally managed to get into FC3 after 35 minutes of trying. I played for about 1 to 2 hours, logged out to have lunch, log back in and it failed to save my progress.

FUCK UBISOFT

And fuck the game. Can't be arsed with it anymore. Time to uninstall and rid my computer of this Uplay bloatware.
  • simsini 1 Jul 2013 10:56:58 317 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    UPlay is the sole reason I do not have any Ubisoft games on PC. I would have avoided EA too, but already had to have an Origin account to play Tiger Woods on Xbox 360 a few years ago. Steam is so much better, it's a no contest. Having to use more than one method of DRM to play a game is ludicrous.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous